SOLVED: (4th try) Samsung Chromebook 3, live antiX USB does not boot, MX 17 does

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions SOLVED: (4th try) Samsung Chromebook 3, live antiX USB does not boot, MX 17 does

This topic contains 57 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Buck Fankers Dec 25-1:14 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Buck Fankers

I already told you what to do if MX is booting fine.
    All you need to do is, use the appropriate combination of Software and running services that fits your bill (your HW).

Yes, I understand what you mean, but my knowledge is way to low to go this road and modify everything on my own. I’m Linux beginner and not too technical. (typical gui user) 😉

Also, with my current MX install I don’t even have enough hdd space for a snapshot. (It is just a chip on a motherboard, no way to replace or expand it.) I could really use antiX smaller footprint.

Besides, if I don’t try to solve the problem, I will not be able to upgrade sometime down the road since MX 18 is causing the same error.

If there is a solution, how to bypass this non booting issue, I would really like to give it a try of solving it, so I have more choices.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Buck Fankers.
    Forum Admin
    Dave
    Dave

Perhaps an easier route at the moment would be to try an 17.1 version of antix to see if it works like the 17.1 version of mx.

I somehow missed your answer, sorry.
    I did, I tried all three antiX versions, 17, 17.1 and 17.2.1 and for each version I tried all three of them, full, base and core. I even tried net version for 17.2.1 and every one of them causes the exact same error, it is acting the same way. The boot menu is in weird ascii mode after file error msg. And I laptop will not boot.

Tomorrow or day later I will dl different MX versions and see if only that single one works or there are any other that would boot. I will let you know the results and thanks for responding.

Not sure how much that will help at the moment. More helpful would be if you can get a picture with a camera of the error and the menu that you get.

Other than that as in my last post, load the usb without using dd so that the persistent option would work and boot the usb on a working computer. Then install and switch to using the debian kernel that mx 17.1 is using. Followed by trying to load the usb with the new kernel on the chromebook

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Anonymous

Knowing which Kernel MX uses, that worked for you, would also help.

Could you try to boot that only one working MX, open the Terminal and execute:

uname -a
    and:
    uname -r
    (Command gives back Kernel version in use in 2 differnt ways)

caprea
    caprea

Knowing which Kernel MX uses

First post

Buck Fankers

Knowing which Kernel MX uses

First post

Per inxi in first post is:

System:    Host: mx Kernel: 4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 
               Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon March 14  2018 base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 

If uname -a and -r will give any additional info I can run it later, I’m currently away from that chromebook

Buck Fankers

More helpful would be if you can get a picture with a camera of the error and the menu that you get.

Will do!

Other than that as in my last post, load the usb without using dd so that the persistent option would work and boot the usb on a working computer. Then install and switch to using the debian kernel that mx 17.1 is using. Followed by trying to load the usb with the new kernel on the chromebook

I’m trying to understand this, very noob here, haven’t use persistent antiX/MX USB so far. Let me see if I understand the steps. I’m not sure how to prepare USB from iso without using DD. Ahh, maybe I understand, here are steps:

– 1 – on working computer boot (latest?) antiX iso from one USB and install it on to another USB, to get persistent USB.
    – 2 – on same working computer boot from newly installed persistent usb and replace current kernel with the one, that is the same as on chromebook (working MX) has.
    – 3 – once kernel is replaced, use this persistent usb and try to boot chromebook off it.

If upper steps are correct, I may be able to pull this off. 🙂
    There are so many kernels available, (with the same version number) I may need a help which one exactly I should install.

Anonymous

Just for fun, I tried to install IceWM on MX.
    After installing only 7 packages in Synaptic, IceWM is already usable and halves the RAM usage.
    HDD space usage is, of course still the same.

Anonymous

RAM usage before and after.

masinick
    masinick

Absolutely!

Ironically enough, at the moment I am using antiX with Xfce; still very reasonable RAM usage (since I have 8 GB RAM available on my system:

Without a browser, I can run @ around 319 MB; with Firefox and a couple of tabs open, it jumps to 1.6 GB, still plenty of available memory.

I haven’t checked with IceWM lately; the last time I did a memory study with IceWM, Fluxbox, Openbox, and a few others, IceWM won by 1-2 MG (somewhere in the 50-70 MB range).

Brian Masinick

Buck Fankers

More helpful would be if you can get a picture with a camera of the error and the menu that you get.

First picture shows error (unknown file system) after I try to boot of live antiX any version between 17 and 17.2 (same with MX 18b1)

Second picture shows how boot menu looks like

Buck Fankers

First picture shows error I get if I choose to do memory test
    After a while (~7-10 seconds) error prints out again (second picture) then after few more seconds I get back to ascii boot menu
    If I try to boot at any time, all I get is blue screen. I let it be like that for 20-25 minutes and no changes.
    I could not switch to TTY (Ctrl-Alt_f1, f2, f3…)

Buck Fankers

Forgot to mention, if I press any key at either error screen, I get back to ascii boot menu

Buck Fankers

All MX 17 works but they all use same kernel, 4.15. I tried MX16 and MX15, one didn’t boot and another did boot but kayboard didn’t work. Can’t remember which was which.

Since MX installed on chromebook is not being updated any more (4.15.0-1-amd64) I tried few more kernels. Mind you, I’m not quite sure what I’m doing, I think “rt” means real time, I skip those and I have no clue what “smp” stand for.

4.9 – boots but keyboard is not working
    4.14.0.3-amd64 smp <- this one works OK and it is LTS so I should stay with this one
    4.14.14-antix.1-amd64-smp <- boots but keyboard is not working
    4.15.0-1-and64 <- works, outdated, originally installed off MX17.2 usb stick
    4.19.3-antix.1-amd64-smp <- boots but keyboard is not working

Question about my next step:
    1 – on working computer I boot with live antiX usb 17.2.1 and then install it to another USB stick to get persistent usb stick
    2 – then I boot this persistent antiX usb stick and install on it: 4.14.0.3-amd64 smp kernel or (outdated) 4.15.0-1-and64 kernel and see if any of the two properly boot on the chromebook.
    3 – If they boot OK, I use them to install antiX on chromebook

correct?

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Buck Fankers.
    caprea
    caprea

1. I don’t understand clearly what you like to do.Why not booting a working mx-installation and use the live-usb-maker and there use the full.featured mode for the antix17.2.iso ? This will create a usb-stick with persistence with antix17.2.

2.Is the 4.14.0.3-amd64 smp kernel a debian kernel or a mx-kernel ? Because if it is a mx-kernel you have to add the mx-repos to the sources-list on the antix-live-stick to be able to install it.
    There’s a video about updating a kernel on a live-stick.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWvwbwTGOZ8

3.Hopefully the stick will boot with another kernel and sure you can install it then.

But maybe someone else can say something to the screenshots you have taken.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

So no grub screen ? Then why say. Just mentioning because that pic is left out.

First picture shows error I get if I choose to do memory test

There are tons of options when presented with a grub screen on a live AntiX run.
    https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-15/Boot_Menu/antiX-gfxboot.html
    https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-15/Boot_Menu/images/screen-shot.png
    First thing I would try is erase boot options text in the box .
    Then later on play with F key grub boot options.

The only reason I don’t have MX or AntiX running on one of my chrome books. Write protect is snafued.
    So I settled for Crouton. Too bad MX or AntiX was not a when choice using Crosh terminal.

https://www.androidcentral.com/putting-linux-your-chromebook-easier-you-think

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.