SOLVED: (4th try) Samsung Chromebook 3, live antiX USB does not boot, MX 17 does

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions SOLVED: (4th try) Samsung Chromebook 3, live antiX USB does not boot, MX 17 does

This topic contains 57 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Buck Fankers Dec 25-1:14 pm.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Buck Fankers

Based on what I’ve read, part of the issue being discussed appears (at least based on the explanations I’ve seen) to be based on which kernel and possibly which installation configuration works best for the system in question.

Thank you for all you wrote, quite a lot of interesting info, a lot of it I didn’t know.

About my case, it is not kernel, it must be something with custom BIOS that enables Linux on this chromebook. And lack of my knowledge. Interestingly, I got solution which is fairly simple. Original antiX iso (17, 17.1, 17.2, 17.2.1) will not boot. MX 17 will boot but new 18 will not.

But if I install these non booting versions on another computer, then create my own snapshot iso, then I can boot with them. I tried with two different computers I tried with newest antiX and newest MX and both boot fine. So boot problem is solved for me. I have another one but it may be my special case will do some inet searching first.

About your other comment about your two chromebooks you just update to native OS, I decided that I will prevent Microsoft or Google from spying as much as possible. I don’t own any windows machine and if I couldn’t make this chromebook working with Linux, I would simple not use it, I have that strong opinion. I guess, with the age there comes stubbornness 😉 So I’m very happy that Linux works on this machine. For now, sound is not working in MX and I’m ok with it. Besides some further upgrades bios or kernel may fix this. Better Linux without sound than working chromebook that enables google to spies on me left and right 😉

Did you see new doorbell’s from amazon. They are spaying on whole neighborhood with scanning & recognizing the faces of everyone within the area. Creepy! When will people start resisting this intrusions? Oh, going off topic now, so I better stop 😉

Buck Fankers

OK I am not 100% certain what is happening. It looks like the system is looking for a boot disk but cannot find it.

Got it working. If I install non booting iso on another computer, where of course booting is not a problem, if I then create snapshot iso, I can then use this iso to boot that complicated chromebook with custom bios. So boot problem is solved.

There may be another work around, there is an option in custom bios, to ‘browse’ to proper boot or efi or whatever file, but with lack of current time I didn’t explore this option yet since I’m not even sure what file I would be looking for 😉 All in due time when I learn more…

Thanks for all the help everyone was giving me!

Buck Fankers

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=471362#p471362
    In the end after all, it would still be nice if you could boot and install antix and mx18 as well.

Thanks for the link, a good one, bookmarked it. (and problem solved also 🙂 )

Buck Fankers

Not sure how to edit title to put SOLVED into it

Anonymous

I decided that I will prevent Microsoft or Google from spying as much as possible.

https://prism-break.org/en/

I’ve also got something better for you … 😉

caprea
    caprea

That’s really nice. I’m happy for you.

I almost missed the fact that it’s finally solved.

Thanks for giving feedback and information.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by caprea.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by caprea.
    Anonymous

Nice? Solved? 🙂

Too young to remember?

He´s not safer now then before.

caprea
    caprea

miss tell, please read the title of Buck Fankers topic.

Buck Fankers

I decided that I will prevent Microsoft or Google from spying as much as possible.

https://prism-break.org/en/

I’ve also got something better for you …

I understand that government agencies have backdoors and access to probably everything.
    I was talking about preventing corporations from spying on me as much as possible.
    There are few things one can do, to make harvesting all of the personal data about you harder.
    In case of google, using Linux instead of chrome os, and not using any google service sure helps.
    That was the reason of my project that I’m now happy with 😉

caprea
    caprea

When will people start resisting

I have no answer to this. I look at all this and I’m taken aback.Here in germany …….. , maybe if you took away their beer. ???

masinick
    masinick

Not sure how to edit title to put SOLVED into it

An admin can edit it if you are unable to do so.

I will mark it solved. If I misunderstood or you need to reopen it we can edit again or start a new topic more concise and particular to any remaining.

Brian Masinick

Anonymous

I was talking about preventing corporations from spying on me as much as possible.

Yup … https://prism-break.org/en/

“Preventing corporations from spying on me (== you) as much as possible” is almost impossible.

OS is the smallest problem. As soon as you start a web browser, it’s over.

Telemetry of your OS is the least problem.

TOR is also not a real help.

First, you’ve no idea whom the exit nodes belong.

Second, after turning off JS and .. .. .. you can also turn off the browser.

You can’t log in anywhere, you can’t really watch anythin’, you can’t … “you can” list would be shorter.

Actually, more you try to do for your “protection”, less protected (or if you prefer, “more tracable”) you are.

Using Windows and Chrome, you’re 1 in 700’000’000, using antiX and PaleMoon, you’re “exote” and one in a couple of thousands.

Buck Fankers

I will mark it solved

Thank you!

And Marry Christmas to all that celebrate it 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.