6.1 kernel only on antiX-full (64bit)?

Forum Forums antiX-development Development 6.1 kernel only on antiX-full (64bit)?

• This topic has 28 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated Oct 12-1:36 am by JohnA.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick
      Helpful
      Up
      ::

What Marcelo shared is a reason why I think a special version would be nice to either create or preserve so users with Via and Sis old video cards still get a chance to use antiX.
      In particular, kernel 4.4 is out of support, but even so, if a build with this old stuff would remain accessible somewhere, it would help out this community of users.
      I hope they can continue to be accommodated, even if the old kernel and the build are well past official support. The last image I know of that was rebuilt was the special Xecure image; is that safely saved and secured anywhere? If so, that may suffice; otherwise, even for the sake of a few people, can we please (unofficially) do this?
      (I don’t have a stored location other than Google Docs, otherwise I’d do it myself; I also don’t have those old kernels and systems installed anymore).

--
      Brian Masinick

marcelocripe
        Helpful
        Up

Mr Brian, the best I could do with the knowledge I have at the moment was remastering the antiX 21 ISO (thanks to @ensabahnur who guided me through every step of installing the 4.4.0-296 kernel and removing of kernels 4.9.0-279 and 5.10.57). However, the remastered 32-bit and 64-bit antiX 21 Full ISOs with Kernel 4.4.0-296 lag far behind the “pseudo-antix-19 legacy bet3” ISOs with Kernel 4.4.0-264 that @Xecure built from of the “Build-iso”, that I have no idea how to use the “Build-iso”.

If one day I manage to learn how to use the “Build-iso”, maybe I can try to do what Xecure did in the past with antiX 19.4 full, but with the most recent edition of antiX.

– – – – –

Senhor Brian, o melhor que eu consegui fazer com o conhecimento que possuo no momento atual, foi a remasterização da ISO do antiX 21 (graças ao @ensabahnur que me guiou em cada etapa para a instalação do kernel 4.4.0-296 e a remoção dos kernels 4.9.0-279 e o 5.10.57). Contudo, as ISOs remasterizadas do antiX 21 Full de 32 e 64 bits com o Kernel 4.4.0-296 estão muito aquém das ISOs “pseudo-antix-19 legacy bet3” com Kernel 4.4.0-264 que o @Xecure construiu a partir do “Build-iso”, que eu não tenho a mínima ideia de como utilizar o “Build-iso”.

Se um dia eu conseguir aprender a utilizar o “Build-iso”, quem sabe poderei tentar fazer o que o Xecure fez no passado com o antiX 19.4 full, mas com a edição mais recente do antiX.

Brian Masinick
          Helpful
          Up

Thank you Marcelo.

Regarding the question anticapitalista asked:

“Does anyone need to use the 5.10 kernel on antiX-23 beta? eg to boot to desktop running live.
          Note need not prefer.”

I think what you’re actually looking for is a 4.4 kernel; with what Xecure provided, will it be necessary for anticapitalista to provide a kernel in addition to the plan for a Version 6 kernel?

It seems to me that it’s important to retain your existing system AND a way to reinstall it and pass it along; do you have mechanisms in place to do this now?

As far as Build ISO is concerned, the names of the tools available are:

Live USB Maker – this tool allows you to put a downloaded ISO image on a USB drive.
          ISO Snapshot – Snapshot is a utility that creates a bootable image (ISO) of your working system that you can use for storage or distribution.
          Remaster – allows you to remaster a live USB image – so if you’ve used the Live USB Maker to create a working USB image, then you run it live and make some changes, you can remaster what you have changed and put it on a USB device.

I hope this is helpful; I simply called up these applications, read their description and shared the relevant information.
          Maybe you can invoke a few of them to get a rough idea of what they do as you attempt to learn about them.
          I’m confident that you have the skills and intelligence to do a lot of interesting things with them.
          I hope they are localized so that you can understand them without having to hand type into a translator to
          figure them out!

--
          Brian Masinick

marcelocripe
            Helpful
            Up

I think what you’re actually looking for is a 4.4 kernel; with what Xecure provided, will it be necessary for anticapitalista to provide a kernel in addition to the plan for a Version 6 kernel?

It doesn’t necessarily have to be the 4.4.0-296 kernel, it could be the 4.14, 4.19 or other old kernel, otherwise the term “legacy” won’t make sense in the ISO boot menu. The purpose of having 4.XX kernel I already explained. Now it’s up to the anticapitalista to assess whether or not what I wrote makes sense with the goals of the community and antiX. One of my biggest frustrations when I started my research and testing in the world of GNU/Linux distributions was finding myself with a black screen when the distribution couldn’t start in graphical mode on the computer I had to test the operating system.
            What was the goal when building antiX with two kernel options?

– – – – –

Não precisa ser necessariamente o kernel 4.4.0-296, pode ser o kernel 4.14, 4.19 ou outro que seja antigo, caso contrário o termo “legado” não fará sentido no menu de inicialização da ISO. O objetivo de ter kernel 4.XX eu já expliquei. Agora cabe ao anticapitalista avaliar se o que eu escrevi faz sentido ou não com os objetivos da comunidade e do antiX. Uma das minhas maiores frustações quando eu iniciei as minhas pesquisas e testes no mundo das distribuições GNU/Linux foi me deperar com a tela preta quando a distribuição não conseguia iniciar com o modo gráfico no computador que eu tinha para testar o sistema operacional.
            Qual foi o objetivo quando foi construído o antiX com duas opções de kernels?

entropyagent
              Helpful
              Up

Does this information help at all? The desktop came up fine with this machine. 1 core, 2 threads, BIOS dated 2013. I opened a terminal and ran my inxi:

System:
                Host: antix1 Kernel: 6.1.18-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64
                  Desktop: IceWM v: 3.3.2 Distro: antiX-23-beta1-runit_x64-full Grup Yorum 21
                  March 2023
              CPU:
                Info: single core model: Intel Celeron G470 bits: 64 type: MT cache:
                  L2: 256 KiB
                Speed (MHz): avg: 1596 min/max: 1600/2000 cores: 1: 1596 2: 1596
              Graphics:
                Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
                  driver: i915 v: kernel
                Device-2: Logitech Webcam C270 type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
                Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
                  unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: crocus gpu: i915 resolution: 1360x768~60Hz
                API: OpenGL v: 3.3 Mesa 22.3.3 renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 2000 (SNB
                  GT1)

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by entropyagent.
              Brian Masinick
                Helpful
                Up

@entropyagent
                Nice to see that a 2013 vintage unit with an Intel Celeron processor with Intel integrated graphics card works well.

Thank you for the information.

--
                Brian Masinick

entropyagent
                  Helpful
                  Up

OK, hope I’m not spamming : Again, the antiX 23 beta desktop came up fine on this dual-core Intel Dell OptiPlex 780 with BIOS dated 2010

System:
                      March 2023
                  CPU:
                    Info: dual core model: Pentium E5400 bits: 64 type: MCP cache: L2: 2 MiB
                    Speed (MHz): avg: 1200 min/max: 1200/2700 cores: 1: 1200 2: 1200
                  Graphics:
                    Device-1: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
                    Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: intel dri: crocus
                      gpu: i915 resolution: 1024x768~60Hz
                    API: OpenGL v: 2.1 Mesa 22.3.3 renderer: Mesa Intel Q45/Q43 (ELK)
                  Brian Masinick
                    Helpful
                    Up

That’s good news and good information.
                    If you are fortunate to have multiple options to check out, this helps to let us know a range of systems that work with the software!

--
                    Brian Masinick

entropyagent
                      Helpful
                      Up

This machine kinda surprised me – a proper beige generic dual-core with DDR2 and a 2009 BIOS. Desktop came up fine. I am not doing much *other* testing, just opening a terminal to run the inxi. However, on this one, I watched 2 minutes of a youtube video in 1080p fullscreen, audio and video worked flawlessly. I think it was a Bugatti advert, maybe I can trade the PC in.

System:
                          March 2023
                      CPU:
                        Info: dual core model: Pentium E5300 bits: 64 type: MCP cache: L2: 2 MiB
                        Speed (MHz): avg: 1203 min/max: 1200/2600 cores: 1: 1203 2: 1203
                      Graphics:
                        Device-1: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
                        Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: intel dri: i915
                        API: OpenGL v: 2.1 Mesa 22.3.3 renderer: i915 (: G33)
                      Brian Masinick
                        Helpful
                        Up

I’ll have to pull out the one desktop unit I have left; it’s an HP 5000 desktop series –
                        it looks familiar; it MAY be the one they inherited from Compaq, but I’m not positive
                        on that point; I’ll get on it soon, try out our 6.1.18 kernel and see if it works.

--
                        Brian Masinick

entropyagent
                          Helpful
                          Up

This mongrel system booted OK to the live desktop with the 6.1 kernel, and could also watch a 1080p youtube fullscreen (OK, as with the Pentium E5300, a 17inch screen). In this limited test, it was quite snappy even with only 2Gb.

The inital live boot screen looked different – I assume I saw the UEFI screen for the first time? It seemed to default to the 5.10 kernel, and took a lot of semi-random menu-juggling to get it to boot into 6.1. Presumably this is not a problem for sharper intellects.

Networking was a little intermittent, but that might be an issue on my side.
                          Sound worked but was underwhelming….I am not sure how well it worked when I was still using it, before I packed it away.

System:
                              March 2023
                          Machine:
                            Type: Desktop Mobo: Intel model: DG41AN v: AAE92991-400
                              serial: <superuser required> UEFI: Intel v: ANG4110H.86A.0018.2011.0325.1148
                              date: 03/25/2011
                          CPU:
                            Info: dual core model: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 bits: 64 type: MCP cache:
                              L2: 3 MiB
                            Speed (MHz): avg: 1596 min/max: 1596/2926 cores: 1: 1596 2: 1596
                          Graphics:
                            Device-1: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
                            Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: intel dri: crocus
                            API: OpenGL v: 2.1 Mesa 22.3.3 renderer: Mesa Intel G41 (ELK)
                          Brian Masinick
                            Helpful
                            Up

@entropyagent regarding navigating immediately to the kernel version you prefer, when you reach the boot manager, scroll down; there is usually either an Advanced menu or Additional Options menu; choose that selection, then navigate on that menu to the selection you prefer, in this case the 6.1.18 kernel entry.

Try it out and write back if you have additional questions.

Thank you for trying out antiX with several different systems; this will be valuable testing; at this point, you are validating whether or not these systems will boot, and that’s useful. When we have some release candidates available it’d be nice to dig in a little bit, trying out a few of the applications you are most likely to use; both types of testing are useful, but we’ve been missing test coverage across a wide range of computers, so what you’ve been doing is extremely valuable.

--
                            Brian Masinick

marcelocripe
                              Helpful
                              Up

“Does anyone need to use the 5.10 kernel on antiX-23 beta? eg to boot to desktop running live.
                              Note need not prefer.”

Mr Brian, the answer to this question was answered in the thread antiX-23-beta1-runit-full (64bit) for testing.

– – – – –

Note need not prefer.”

Senhor Brian, a resposta para esta pergunta foi respondida no tópico antiX-23-beta1-runit-full (64bit) for testing.

JohnA
                                Helpful
                                Up

Are there any benefits at all for the 5.10 on computers that are new enough to be 64bit compatible? I’m just wondering if there are actually compatibility issues with the 6.1 that the 5.10 addresses?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.