64 bit only – antiX-21-runit-beta2 available for testing.

Forum Forums antiX-development Development 64 bit only – antiX-21-runit-beta2 available for testing.

• This topic has 222 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated Oct 16-7:40 am by Xecure.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 222 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

I have not made this ‘open to the public’ by uploading to Sourceforge and mirrors, but only here:

https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/Testing/

Hope it’s not too slow to download.

This includes all latest runit changes suggested by Xecure, and it uses slimski login manager and zzzFM.
    It is classed as a beta release, but should work mostly just fine.
    Post here comments, bugs etc.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

andyprough
    Helpful
    Up

I’m not getting any connection at all from that link this morning.

$ ping https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/Testing/
    ping: https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/Testing/: Name or service not known
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Can you visit the site?

This works for me

wget https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/Testing/antiX-21-b2-runit_x64-full.iso

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

andyprough
    Helpful
    Up

Can you visit the site?

This works for me

wget https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/Testing/antiX-21-b2-runit_x64-full.iso

Yeah, that’s working. Download is pretty fast, probably just about two minutes.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

Iotop does not show any runsv log services running as observed in the previous a1 and b1 versions. Good job solving this previous problem.

I don’t see a herbsluftwm desktop option.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

You should see it (herbstluftwm) at the login screen by toggling F1.

We basically removed the logs (not sure if that is a good idea or not to be honest).
    I think we missed a couple though, eg acpid, ssh

I’m also not too sure if user really wants all the symlinks in /etc/service/
    Although the deamon itself does not run with a blank down file, it seems sv still checks for it eg cron, cups.
    If you delete all folders in /etc/services/ (or better unlink them to /etc/sv/*) EXCEPT the following connman (actually if you use ceni it isn’t necessary), dbus, dhclient, elogind, getty-tty1, getty-tty1, slimski, udevd, both RAM as CPU usage goes down with no obvious issues I can see.

Anyone know how Void or artiX linux sets up services running once installed to hard disk?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Also, technically removing these symlinks /etc/service/dbus and /etc/service/elogind still boots to desktop without any obvious issues I can see.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

You should see it (herbstluftwm) at the login screen by toggling F1.

Yes, I can see the herbstluftwm option when togging F1 at the login screen. But when one clicks on main menu Desktop > Other Desktops > , I don’t see the herbstlufwm option. I see this option in other versions.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

In previous tests of antiX runit versions, @Xecure taught us to use iotop to check for the runsv log services. Using iotop, I don’t see any runsv log services running. But when I use htop, most of the runit services are runsv.

Is this something to be worried about? Or is this OK? I don’t know enough. This is what I am observing.

Also, using iotop, I notice that the service kworker seems to be running alot. Is this something to look at, or is this normal usage.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

It was removed from the Desktop menu starting with antiX-19 IIRC because some users would click on it out of curiosity, not read the pop-up message and then get stuck.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

There was a small bug in gpm service (sorry for that). It is fixed here.

For some reason, if /etc/default/runit file doesn’t exist, on installed, runsv tries to start to write to the disk for 3 services (). Creating a symlink to /etc/default/runit-antix
    sudo ln -s /etc/default/runit-antix /etc/default/runit

I don’t see a herbsluftwm desktop option.

There is a problem getting to herbstluft from the live boot menus. I will see what happened there. You can reach herbstluft from the slimski F1 toggle (log out first), or make it appear on the “Other Desktops” menus with the command
    sudo /usr/local/lib/desktop-session/desktop-session-update-wm-menus -f

We basically removed the logs (not sure if that is a good idea or not to be honest).
    I think we missed a couple though, eg acpid, ssh

acpid and openssh-server automatically add the runit services to /etc/sv, so nothing else we should do.

logs (at least for acpid on this ISO) require the existence of a user named runit-log from group adm (runit-log:adm). On some devuan posts they stated user “_runit-log” (see the “_” symbol) instead. I think that this user should be created by the runit installer, but it isn’t, so something else needs to create it instead of services expect it to exist.

A log folder can be created for any of the services. If you add this run file:

#!/bin/sh
    set -e

NAME=template
    LOG="/var/log/runit/$NAME"

test -d "$LOG" || mkdir "$LOG"
    exec chpst svlogd -tt "$LOG"

Replacing “NAME=template” with the correct service name, it will work properly and log as root to /var/log/runit/$NAME

If you decide it is a better idea to have logs, then let me know and I will edit the runit-services-antix project.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Xecure. Reason: Explain better

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

In previous tests of antiX runit versions, @Xecure taught us to use iotop to check for the runsv log services.

In fact, it shows all processes writing to disk (I/O). It was useful to check the bad behavior of runit logs of runit runsv services erroring out.

But when I use htop, most of the runit services are runsv.

That is correct, all services are processes running. runsv <service-name> for each service.

Also, using iotop, I notice that the service kworker seems to be running alot.

That is not a service but the “kernel worker” (“kworker” is a placeholder process for kernel worker threads). It is the kernel interacting and doing things. I see this popping much more often in kernels 5.XX compared to kernel 4.XX. I suppose this is the result of adding so many things to the kernel.

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

After installation to harddrive the /.icewm/menu-applications file was empty. I had to reinstall desktop-defaults-antix to get a complete menu.
    slimski login manager looks very good and works.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

After installation to harddrive the /.icewm/menu-applications file was empty.

Hi @caprea,
    That is strange. I cannot reproduce this error. In my install to hard drive of this B2-test version, the /.icewm/menu-applications file is not empty. I see the list of programs under each of the menu options.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

There are some service folders that are empty, and some where the run file non-executable (leads to error loading those services in installed). For example gpm has a plain run file and ofono is an empty folder.

I’m also not too sure if user really wants all the symlinks in /etc/service/
    Although the deamon itself does not run with a blank down file, it seems sv still checks for it eg cron, cups.
    If you delete all folders in /etc/services/ (or better unlink them to /etc/sv/*) EXCEPT the following connman (actually if you use ceni it isn’t necessary), dbus, dhclient, elogind, getty-tty1, getty-tty1, slimski, udevd, both RAM as CPU usage goes down with no obvious issues I can see.

I will try to fix up the init-system-helpers so that update-rc.d and service commands will disable/enable start/stop runit services.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 222 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.