64 bit only – antiX-21-runit-beta2 available for testing.

Forum Forums antiX-development Development 64 bit only – antiX-21-runit-beta2 available for testing.

• This topic has 222 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated Oct 16-7:40 am by Xecure.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 222 total)
  • Author
    Tuxmuertox01
    Helpful
    Up

Hi again.
    Checked slim + slim-themes-extra-antix as suggested, swapped from slim and slimski via Control Center > Session > Login Manager. No problem this time, quick login with both DMs and WM shows without delay. I uninstall slim again and stay on slimski. I still don’t understand why the service “slim” is still shown in “runit service manager” once the package is uninstalled, I guess it must be disabled but I can’t do it via the “runit service manager”. Waiting for wisdom to rain, haha.

WARNING NOW!
    I manage to crash the desktop, and force re-login by running in cli as regular user:
    service --status-all
    I found the bug by chance while figuring out the slim DM status, and guessing around runit-service-manager.sh. BTW this runit-service-manager.sh works fine, it’s not the cause of the crash as I stated before.
    Be careful please.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

I still don’t understand why the service “slim” is still shown in “runit service manager” once the package is uninstalled

guessing: the SLiM package is maintained by (provided by) Debian (not antiX) and the debian package maintainer did not foresee its use “with runit” so could not foresee the necessary removal of the (pre-installed by antiX, in the 21runitbeta2 sio) associated runit service file(s) via the package’s post-remove script.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

The delay of slimski is two seconds after the password is accepted

Your observation sounds familiar, matches the earlier report.
    I had suggested someone peek the slimski.c sourcecode (it’s plaintext readable) and search for instances of “sleep”.
    Possibly, I had included a hardcoded delay to accommodate display of an optional MOTD -like notice?

check every few seconds if the state of the service has changed. slim will not be launched but the service “tracker” will keep watch of it.

workaround ~~ test “which slim” and, based on the result, conditionally suppress it from the listing?

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Runit init, fully updated.
    rox icewm running stable, switch to icewm and desktop freezing after short period.
    No input possible Can only power off and reboot. Switch back to rox ice again stable
    for hours with all applications..

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

switch to icewm and desktop freezing after short period.

Is the switching done with the Other desktops menu? Do you have any running programs when you switch? Have you changed any startup files or services? Did you install anything new on the system? How long is “short period”? Does the same happen when you switch using slimski login manager? What is the desktop-session-antix version on your system? What antix repo mirrors are you using?

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

service –status-all

Yes. I wanted to change the init-system-helpers package to also work with runit and not break the system when this command is run, but the developers are afraid a Debian update may revert these changes. The changes were suggested and prepared by the Debian runit maintainer to the init-system-helpers maintainer two years ago, but they were largely ignored. Changing it myself would conflict with the current Debian maintainer, so I am trying to figure a workaround (maybe a package to patch the related scripts, or a hook, I don’t know yet).

I still don’t understand why the service “slim” is still shown in “runit service manager” once the package is uninstalled

Most runit services in the system do NOT come with the related program, and come with their own “runit-services” package. An apt hook to check when a program is installed/uninstalled and change the available services is still in the drawing board. For now, the services are only show as “available”, but when the program is not installed they are “disabled”.
    slim and slimski and some other services are tagged as “vital”, so they cannot be removed (this is so novel users playing around with the program don’t break their system and cannot figure out how to fix it). So even if the service is still there, it is down or disabled.

The delay of slimski is two seconds after the password is accepted

Your observation sounds familiar, matches the earlier report.
    I had suggested someone peek the slimski.c sourcecode (it’s plaintext readable) and search for instances of “sleep”.
    Possibly, I had included a hardcoded delay to accommodate display of an optional MOTD -like notice?

I checked the code, and the “sleep 2” event only occurs for the “testing theme” section of the program. In my computer, with slimski v1.5.0-6.0antix1, there is no delay and the experience with slim is the same. I may have to check on other machines when I can.

Tuxmuertox01
    Helpful
    Up

Yes. I wanted to change the init-system-helpers package… Changing it myself would conflict with the current Debian maintainer, so I am trying to figure a workaround (maybe a package to patch the related scripts, or a hook, I don’t know yet).

I see, hard work is coming, thanks in advance. A simple warn about the service command will do by now. In fact it’s something found by chance and doesn’t completely ruin the system, so it can wait.

Most runit services …come with their own “runit-services” package. An apt hook to check when a program is installed/uninstalled and change the available services .. So even if the service is still there, it is down or disabled.

Now I get it. I doesn’t affect performance as long as I understand, so the ghost entry can remain there until further resolution. No problem.
    The runit version directly from busybox source won’t help either, I guess, since it’s something related to concrete “runit-services” packages.

No further problems with slimski, no delays, I guess it was buggy once I crashed the session with the service command.

Again, nice work guys!

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Is the switching done with the Other desktops menu? Yes
    Do you have any running programs when you switch? No
    Have you changed any startup files or services? NO

Did you install anything new on the system? Yes, Important is that all works fine with rox icewm, but not when I select icewm as desktop
    using menu..

How long is “short period”? Minutes, not measured, freeze is not immediate.

Does the same happen when you switch using slimski login manager? Not tested, as other users I expect the menu entry to work and slimski very new to me..
    Will test later, but very busy as freshly operated daughter to care for. (3 Wisdom teeth removed.

desktop-session-antix 2.0.9 System dist upgraded daily, no error messages. Will change to Göttingen and see if any changes come,
    in general Aachen is ok now, buggy weeks ago.

deb http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix/bullseye bullseye main nosystemd nonfree
    No updates on Göttingen or TU Chemnitz repo change.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by ModdIt.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by ModdIt.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for the detailed info, Moddit. I will make a new liveUSB with the antiX21_B2 with runit (and also with syvinit) with the same repo change and test changing from other-desktops. I suspect the desktop-session-antix package may be a bit corrupted in that repo, as it works for me OK (from a different repo). The only difference between icewm and rox-icewm session is only the part in desktop-session that launches the rox desktop icon handler, as everything else is the same. Hopefully it is only that. I will report when I discover something.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks xecure, I did by the way report same kind of issue on the first beta, at that time
    was thinking we might have had an icewm regression.
    rox ice runs for hours browsing text documents, pdf editing picture editing with gimp, browsing.

I never use desktop icons so in general setup pure ice and custom task bar entrys.
    if only difference really is icon handler then that is more than weird.

I checked sha 256 sum for download but have made changes and updated since then.

If you can point me to a pristine antiX desktop package I can join in testing.
    A pristine icewm desktop setup did not help. In any case my changes are toolbar icons added.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I have been for over an hour working intensely in antiX21-b2-runit, on live USB with a persistence (dynamic root persistence). I rebooted after installing all updates from the repo you mentioned (and saving persistent changes) and, once in the desktop, switched with other-desktops to pure icewm and no shutdown problem at all.
    a21-runit-icewm-1h

Your issue is very strange, and nobody else seems to experience it, so there must be something else that is changed apart from updating packages. Are you using a custom icewm config from default? I hope someone else can reproduce, as it seems that it only fails for you (I assume on live-USB) when running pure icewm session (with no desktop icon handler). The desktop-session package is correct, as I compared with the source in repo.antixlinux.com/bullseye

Can you give a bit more info on your system’s conditions (maybe a specific persistence mode, kernel selected, maybe even a bit of CPU/GPU info)?

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

I hope someone else can reproduce

Although I am not able to reproduce this problem on 21B2 Live and it looks like switching to any ‘Other Desktop’ on my list seems working fine, I have a related question…
    To simplify desktop environments to only those that I actually use I have only three now:
    – IceWM (No zzz)
    – DWM
    – Herbstluftwm
    Switching from IceWM to DWM whith open multiple apps, e.g. such as Seamonkey and SMTube results in rendering these apps in DWM as tiled, of course, so works very nicely. Switching back from DWM (or Herbstluftwm) to IceWM is something that is cumbersome as currently it requires reaching for ‘Other Desktops’ and selecting one of the other desktops on the screen that has the option to be disabled, triggered when an ‘alien’ DM is selected, not one of those included by default.
    My question is:
    Is there any way to map sequence of keyboard keys assigned to each WM, across all WMs? E.g. Alt-Ctrl-1 would switch to IceWM, Alt-Ctrl-2 would switch to Fluxbox, etc…

Desktop switching in antiX is implemented very well, as it switches open apps as well, without a need to Logoff and selecting another Desktop via F1 key, where such apps would be closed. So this is a unique feature in antiX I am not sure any other distro has, so it would be great to expand this capability to be mapped to keyboard keys, making this simpler than going through nested menus…
    Just a question…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by olsztyn.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Hopefully we can get someone else to get the same results as Moddit and explore what could be the similarities, or differences.
    If possible, Moddit, try switching to a terminal (Control+Alt+F2) and running htop to see if there is any process that is acting up (full CPU or RAM). Use F6 to sort different categories (CPU, RAM, etc) Maybe this will help figure out what is going on.

Is there any way to map sequence of keyboard keys assigned to each WM, across all WMs? E.g. Alt-Ctrl-1 would switch to IceWM, Alt-Ctrl-2 would switch to Fluxbox, etc…

The command to switch to any desktop-session with the terminal is:
    /usr/local/lib/desktop-session/desktop-session-restart <session-name>
    For fluxbox with zzzfm:
    /usr/local/lib/desktop-session/desktop-session-restart zzz-fluxbox
    For dwm, it probably is
    /usr/local/lib/desktop-session/desktop-session-restart DWM

Run it first from terminal to make sure it works and assign the commands to a key-combination (on whatever WM you use).

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Xecure.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Is there any way to map sequence of keyboard keys assigned to each WM, across all WMs?
    E.g. Alt-Ctrl-1 would switch to IceWM, Alt-Ctrl-2 would switch to Fluxbox, etc…

Yes, each of the 3 WMs you mentioned should have a configuration file in which the you can specify your customized keybinds
    ( e.g. ~/.icewm/keys )

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

all works fine with rox icewm, but not when I select icewm as desktop using menu

suggestion: launch htop within a terminal emulator before performing “select icewm as desktop using menu”.
    Watch for any racy (high CPU) processes and or duplicate(d) processes {e.g. conky}, and recheck every few minutes, looking for unexpected, cumulatively rising, memory usage.

Although you have described the scenario as a “lockup”, you might still be able to perform Ctrl+Alt+F6 to switch to another virtual console.
    If it’s an out-of-memory scenario, from console you can run htop and kill off the offending//runaway processes.
    Also, during the “lockup”, the Magic SysRq key may still available

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 222 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.