64 bit only – antiX-21-runit-beta2 available for testing.

Forum Forums antiX-development Development 64 bit only – antiX-21-runit-beta2 available for testing.

• This topic has 222 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated Oct 16-7:40 am by Xecure.
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 222 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

There will be a fixed version of apt-notifier hitting the repos very soon.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

rej
    Helpful
    Up

Excellent – Thank you!

rej
    Helpful
    Up

Will 21 have an option to donate in US dollars?

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Just applied the most recent bunch of updates (after making a due backup of live). Thanks for keeping on top of this, best so far, antiX 21 B2 runit…
    No new issues detected, so good news… It appears to work just fine.

Just one issue (minor) that has been a bit of annoyance. Nothing new though as it has been happening on update level before today’s updates:
    Sometimes after reboot a CMST – Critical error occurs – window pops up in the middle of the screen with:
    ‘Unable to create an interface to connman on the system bus.
    CMST will not be able to communicate with connman’.
    The only action to to click ‘OK’., after which CMST window appears.
    The only remedy I have used so far is to reboot.

Again, this is unrelated to the recent updates as it was happening before and most often rebooting results in CMST coming back to health…

This is just to report this minor annoyance. Not a big deal for me but might be affecting others as well.
    Thanks and Regards…

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

‘Unable to create an interface to connman on the system bus.
    CMST will not be able to communicate with connman’.

Make sure connman is not running from sysvinit befor starting with runit
    sudo update-rc.d connman remove

If this still happens, it may be that connman is not loading dbus first before starting. Check /etc/sv/connman/run contains

# Start dbus first
    sv start dbus && sv check dbus || exit 170

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Will 21 have an option to donate in US dollars?

There is an option at the bottom of the page
    https://antixlinux.com/ where you can donate; yes, it supports US donations, and it will work for antiX 21.

Brian Masinick

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you Xecure…

– Executed sudo update-rc.d connman remove.
    – Verified “# Start dbus first
    sv start dbus && sv check dbus || exit 170” is in /etc/sv/connman/run.
    – Remastered (Personal).

Following the above and reboot behavior is still the same. Rebooted multiple times and erratically roughly about 1 in 5 reboots results in the CMST error described above with no particular identifiable pattern, just hit or miss timing…
    Not a big deal though because apart from CMST all appears to work fine…

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Could you change the desktop-session startup command from
    network-check-antix &
    to
    $(network-readiness-state --searches=10; [[ $? -ne 0 ]] && network-check-antix) &

And please provide feedback for this script here.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Per Xecure’s request I have used script:

‘$(network-readiness-state –searches=10; [[ $? -ne 0 ]] && network-check-antix) &’

for CMST in session startup.

Having rebooted repeatedly the fifth time CMST error occurred, preceded by Network readiness State window showing 10 lines of ‘Network interface not ready’ in sequence 10 to 1.
    This CMST error is erratic and can happen unpredictably roughly in one out of every five reboots, based on experience.

This means that it isn’t cmst, but the connman service not starting properly. The network-readiness-state script launches to check for internet connection. If internet connection is not found after X iterations, then the window will show you so and, after that, launch the appended command.
    I will see if I can reproduce this on live-USB, to see what I did wrong when configuring the service.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

This means that it isn’t cmst, but the connman service not starting properly.

Thank you Xecure…
    Some weeks ago I tried to replace Connman with Network Manager for this reason. It did not work for me at that time with antiX21. Is this still an option? I see in Session Startup such option still exists though, but it appears antiX 21 does not support Network Manager?

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

but it appears antiX 21 does not support Network Manager?

Debian removed the initscript for networkmanager, but I created one for runit.
    Install network manager, install the runit-service-manager package (if not installed already), and launch it from the terminal
    sudo runit-service-manager.sh
    “Remove” connman and “Add” Network Manager from the left pane.
    I tested it and it worked properly.

I will test what I did wrong with the connman, as there needs to be a reason for it to fail. And if this service fails occasionally, then the network.manager service will also fail occasionally.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

And if this service fails occasionally, then the network.manager service will also fail occasionally.

Understood…
    Thanks for developing the init script for Network Manager.
    I should be able to confirm shortly that Network Manager fails the same way as Connman, just to explore this…
    Thanks and Regards.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by olsztyn.
    olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Question:
    Installed Network Manager and it is up looking at runit-service-manager and it shows as running in ps_mem.py. However nm-applet is not coming up in tray. It is enabled in Session Startup.
    Any hints?
    Although wlan0 monitor in IceWM tray still appears to point to Connman, as clicking on it displays the CMST – critical Error window…
    Is there something else that needs to be done to disable Connman and point to Network Manager service?
    Thanks for your help…

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I have been using live-usb with connman controlling wifi all day (including rebooting) without issues.
    Are you sure it’s not something with your connection?
    Or with the wifi driver?

BTW network-manager runit script is not included in runit-services-*

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

I have been using live-usb with connman controlling wifi all day (including rebooting) without issues.
    Are you sure it’s not something with your connection?
    Or with the wifi driver?

I can never certify ‘I am sure’, considering these various factors in the middle. I am just judging on the base what seems logical considering the following:
    – My internet, router provide rock solid high speed service.
    – I am simultaneously working on three laptops on my desk. First – non-antiX Linux running Network Manager (rock solid network), Second – antiX 19.4 with Connman – no network issues, Third laptop – antiX 21 B2, with Connman with reported issues, now attempting Network Manager not successful yet…

However all three laptops are Thinkpads different models, so I cannot say for sure the Connman issues on the third one (Thinkpad X61) are not driver related, if this answers your questions. I will swap laptops and run antiX 21 B2 on different Thinkpad model to see if experience repeats…

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 222 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.