64 bit only – antiX-21-runit-beta2 available for testing.

Forum Forums antiX-development Development 64 bit only – antiX-21-runit-beta2 available for testing.

• This topic has 222 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated Oct 16-7:40 am by Xecure.
Viewing 12 posts - 211 through 222 (of 222 total)
  • Author
    Emiliano
    Helpful
    Up

i downloaded antix beta 2 but the kernel is 4.19, how can i download the beta with kernel 5.10?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

The release announcement for antiX-21-beta2 clearly states that it ships with 2 kernels. 4.9 and 5.10. There is no antiX-21-beta2 iso with a 4.19 kernel.

https://antixlinux.com/antix-21-beta2-iso-files-available-debian-11-based/

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Girafenaine
    Helpful
    Up

Hello,

Thanks for this nice antiX-21-runit-beta2 ! I installed it today in the frugal way, next to my antiX 19 frugal install (daily used at work). I copied the content of my home folder in the new runit frugal install (after having tried to copy the home.fs file, but it did not work, seems that causes session or users issues), and I installed rofi, palemoon, libreoffice and teams. It was not a good thing from a work productivity point of view, but here are some observations :

– it’s cool. I like to get some original and efficient piece of OS, and here is one great piece of OS. Boots fast, seems very snappy, when using libreoffice or palemoon. I don’t know if runit can change that, or if it is debian 11, or my poor head.

– In the “user manager”, you have an option about auto-login. Actually, it has no effect in my experience. Login is set in the “login manager”, which is another button of the control center, setting slimsky options. It would be great that the “user manager” option” was linked to slimsky to be really useful.

– Persist save is mega fast ! It is probably the most obvious point that I could see today. For a 300 Mo root file to save, it is a few seconds longs, while my antiX 19 frugal install can take some 5 or more minutes. Is it an effect of runit or something else ? Actually a very useful change…

– a real bug (for my use) : when you “halt” antiX, if you have some network file systems mounted, it never shuts down. With antiX 19 sysvinit, it ended with a warning, and you could press enter key and the process would go on to the real shut down. With antiX 21 runit, I see two last lines “network file systems still mounted” and “stopping services in /etc/rc6.d …”, but it is stuck and never ends, and I had to shut down the bad way (physical switch). Could it be changed for a more user friendly behaviour ?

– in the live boot menu, it is unclear why when you select some options and add the “save options to grub”, it has no effect and you have to select them again next time. I could find that the “text menus” option let you create a new entry, but the option “save to grub” in the submenus seems useless, or what is it useful for ?

+ I did not manage to print today, but I cannot say why. I use a network printer and even with antiX 19 sysvinit I had hard times when I set up this printer. cups seems to work, driver installed, printer installed, but no success to print so far with an issue in the connection (printer stay “idle”). I will try again. EDIT 13/10 : it works well ! (was a printer issue yesterday, this morning all my test papers were printed 🙂 )

• This reply was modified 3 days, 1 hour ago by Girafenaine.

Girafenaine
    ----
    Antix 19 - Fluxbox - Live USB stick and frugal / MX 19 - Fluxbox - Dell XPS 7590

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Regarding network shares: back when I was in the active workforce, we used a lot of client-server configurations in various locations.

We definitely had remote disks on many production servers. I can tell you this without question: unless we had an unexpected failure, we would carefully dismount any remote disks, or anything served by another server. If not, results were unpredictable; we could always fix them, but we’d have issues like having to recover files from backups or restart the environment; these were not easy or pleasant moments, so we did carefully dismount any remote filesystems before doing any kind of system maintenance or planned shutdown, then we had excellent results.

Brian Masinick

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

– a real bug (for my use) : when you “halt” antiX, if you have some network file systems mounted, it never shuts down.

I do not have such problem with antiX21 Runit. I am using multiple network SMB shares, connecting to multiple NAS servers and antiX shuts down with no halting in the shutdown process.
    I am curious if for network shares you are using Connectshares or a different way… I used to use Connectshares in the past with antiX 19 quite some time ago and I did experience at that time halting shutdown process if shares were still connected, but this issue was quickly fixed and it was shutting down gracefully since.
    Now I am am using FSTAB to define SMB shares, so differently than via Connectshares. I did not test with Connectshares but I would be surprised if that old issue resurfaced. As I recall this was not connected to Connectshares anyway…

• This reply was modified 3 days, 9 hours ago by olsztyn.
    • This reply was modified 3 days, 9 hours ago by olsztyn.
    Girafenaine
    Helpful
    Up

Hello,

As far as I am concerned my “network file systems” are just shared disks where I back my data up and can find some shared files. I never met issues when I un-connect from these shared network disks, and they are not unvolved in difficult tasks or programs.

I mount them through a bash script with such lines :
    sudo mount -t cifs //URL /media/path_for_mounting –verbose -o cred=path_to_cred ,uid=1000,gid=1000,domain=DOMAIN_NAME,rw,nocase,noserverino &

Girafenaine
    ----
    Antix 19 - Fluxbox - Live USB stick and frugal / MX 19 - Fluxbox - Dell XPS 7590

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

On the topic of runit being faster, it has the advantage of being abe to do things in parallel, but I cannot realy tell how much better it is compared to sysvinit3, so I cannot answer if the save-persists option is related to it or it is because of an optimization done by the devs.

– In the “user manager”, you have an option about auto-login.

I don’t do too well with C++, but I will have a look and see if I can change this option in the user-manager controls to work with slimski. At least the login manager tool should be more than enough of a workaround for now (as it is the specific tool for managing the login manager).

– a real bug (for my use) : when you “halt” antiX, if you have some network file systems mounted, it never shuts down. With antiX 19 sysvinit, it ended with a warning, and you could press enter key and the process would go on to the real shut down. With antiX 21 runit, I see two last lines “network file systems still mounted” and “stopping services in /etc/rc6.d …”, but it is stuck and never ends, and I had to shut down the bad way (physical switch). Could it be changed for a more user friendly behaviour ?

It is great you found a possible bug. anticapitalista has had to hand-make all the startup and shutdown scripts for runit, and the rest are delegated to sysvinit (the message “stopping services in /etc/rc6.d …”). Probably a new handmade script to unmount all shared filesystems before delegating to sysvinit scripts is in order. I will have to study this and see if I can figure something out if anticapitalista doesn’t already have something under construction.

– in the live boot menu, it is unclear why when you select some options and add the “save options to grub”, it has no effect and you have to select them again next time. I could find that the “text menus” option let you create a new entry, but the option “save to grub” in the submenus seems useless, or what is it useful for ?

There is continuous work going on for the new live grub scripts, so we will have to check this again on the next release. The new live boot options are suposed to be saved in /boot/grub/grub-env.cfg, and they have worked for me on live-usb. I am not sure if the problem you experienced is related to saving them on a frugal session (maybe it tries to save them after accessing the frugal partition and tries to save it there instead of the live-USB? This is just speculation).

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Girafenaine
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you Xsecure for your answers,

It’s all ok for me about user manager (need a little C++), shut down process (where it would be great to have a script ensuring network and other external disks to unmount), and live boot menu (work in progress).

About “save on grub” option not saving my boot options : it seems that grub-env.cfg saves only 3 options (default desktop, and 2 others that I don’t remember). But other options like frugal_persist and language are not saved in my experience, and you have to open each submenu again at next boot to re-select them. In previous live boot, when you use the “save” option, all of them were saved in my memories.

I should have told it : I use UEFI only.

Girafenaine
    ----

namida12
    Helpful
    Up
    $ inxi -F
    System:    Host: antix11 Kernel: 5.10.57-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: IceWM 2.8.0 
               Distro: antiX-21-b2-runit_x64-full Grup Yorum 21 August 2021 
    Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: B450M Pro4 serial: <superuser required> UEFI-[Legacy]: American Megatrends 
               v: P3.90 date: 12/09/2019 
    CPU:       Info: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache: L2: 2 MiB 
               Speed: 3029 MHz min/max: 1400/3700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3029 2: 3040 3: 3061 4: 2991 5: 3012 6: 3030 7: 3065 
               8: 2957 
    Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Picasso driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
               resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon Vega 11 Graphics (RAVEN DRM 3.40.0 5.10.57-antix.1-amd64-smp LLVM 11.0.1) 
               v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.5 
    Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
               Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 17h HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
               Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.10.57-antix.1-amd64-smp running: yes 
    Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 
               IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: id removed 
               Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 
               IF: eth1 state: down mac: a8:a1:59:0d:db:5a 
    Drives:    Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 49.2 GiB (5.3%) 
               ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: PNY model: CS2130 1TB SSD size: 931.51 GiB 
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 19.52 GiB used: 5.07 GiB (26.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1 
               ID-2: /home size: 589.52 GiB used: 44.13 GiB (7.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3 
    Swap:      ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 16 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 43.8 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 43.0 C 
               Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
    Info:      Processes: 253 Uptime: 42m Memory: 13.59 GiB used: 1.07 GiB (7.9%) Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.06 
    green621@antix11:~

Bare metal install
    Google Chrome drop down menus work out of the box.
    Can read and format exfat usb drives – Thank you.
    Was able to set up Laserjet Pro MFP M426fdw – no delay seen previously, sends file quickly to printer.
    Scan from HP Device Manager did require plugin download – scans quickly no delay
    Qbittorrent is upgraded to version 4.2.5 seeding MX and Antix already, nice to see what countries flags are uploading – Thank you
    Runit version feels faster, have not measured but there is a perceived difference
    Am seeing disk activity displayed in conky when I would not think it would be active.
    Unplug Removable Device icon is on panel does not function.

JR

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

Dear developers,

I try to install LibreOffice US full with “Package Installer”.
    After installation I do not have Base in LibreOffice.
    In “Package Installer”, the line LO US full is not in grey.

Still with “Package Installer”, I try to install the package for the French language LibreOffice full.
    After installation, I go to LibreOffice to configure the interface language, French is not available in the drop down menu.
    I check again in “Package Installer”, the line for the French package LO full is not in grey.

The icon for ejecting USB sticks does not work, no menu appears.

Best regards,
    Wallon

System:    Kernel: 5.10.57-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 
               parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.10.57-antix.1-amd64-smp 
               root=UUID=977df352-0155-4c80-aedc-26250529d9df ro quiet 
               Desktop: IceWM 2.8.0 vt: 7 dm: N/A 
               Distro: antiX-21-b2_x64-full Grup Yorum 6 September 2021 
               base: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

$ locale
    LANG=fr_BE.UTF-8
    LANGUAGE=
    LC_CTYPE="fr_BE.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC="fr_BE.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="fr_BE.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE="fr_BE.UTF-8"
    LC_MONETARY="fr_BE.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES="fr_BE.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER="fr_BE.UTF-8"
    LC_NAME="fr_BE.UTF-8"
    LC_ADDRESS="fr_BE.UTF-8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="fr_BE.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_BE.UTF-8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_BE.UTF-8"
    LC_ALL=

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Am seeing disk activity displayed in conky when I would not think it would be active.

Please, first update your system to the latest packages.
    After updating, remove all runit services you don’t need. You can use the runit-service-manager.sh script (if runit-service-manager is installed).
    If you still see disk use, install iotop and show us what the program sees is using the disk with
    sudo iotop -o

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I try to install LibreOffice US full with “Package Installer”.

Libreoffice is already installed on the ISO, even though the package installer doesn’t know.
    Do you mind trying out the locale-antix package, just to run the “localize packages” option? I am interested to see if it will find the libreoffice language packages for french on your system. It is still a beta, and I am still working on improving it, but still this option, though slow, should make it easier to install packages to get the language support your system needs.

Viewing 12 posts - 211 through 222 (of 222 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.