64 bit only – antiX-21-runit-beta2 available for testing.

Forum Forums antiX-development Development 64 bit only – antiX-21-runit-beta2 available for testing.

• This topic has 251 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated Nov 12-4:22 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 12 posts - 241 through 252 (of 252 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn
      Helpful
      Up
      ::

Issue with Boot Menus:
      – Created Frugal installation using ‘modern’ 5.10 kernel. Frugal folder naming indicates 5.10 kernel in name.
      – Subsequent booting of such created Frugal from F5 – Frugal Only boots properly with 5.10 kernel.
      – However when using ‘Find Frugal Menus’ via Switch to Grub menus –> Booot Rescue Menus and booting such Frugal from ‘Find Frugal Menus’ boots such Frugal installation with kernel 4.9.

It is unfortunate design that such important function as booting installations from found boot menus is still buried under ‘Boot Rescue’, although nothing needs to be rescued but rather the need is to boot various installations.
      However booting Frugal with 4.9 kernel instead of as created and named 5.10 kernel from ‘Find Frugal Menus’ is not expected or desired.
      Is there any way to force 5.10 kernel boot as intended? I have not seen so far…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by olsztyn.
      • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
      https://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

namida12
        Helpful
        Up

olsztyn,

I could not use the quote command

namida12 wrote:
        Google Chrome drop down menus work out of the box.
        Is this on IceWM? I am curious what antiX GTK theme you are using and which exactly version of Chrome…
        Thanks and Regards.

I made no change to what I downloaded – only installed google chrome and a few other packages via package installer
        Chrome Version 95.0.4638.54 (Official Build) (64-bit)

JR

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by namida12. Reason: incomplete copy and paste
        fungalnet
          Helpful
          Up

Here’s the latest plasma desktop 5.22.4 on my installation of antix 21 runit beta today (official Bullseye repo is only going to package version 5.20.5, which is already over six months old).

You of all people here would probably know of kuserfeedback. What do you think and do about it?

ModdIt
            Helpful
            Up

thanks fungalnet,
            kde is, if I read corrctly planning to be using systemD as startup for plasma, seems a lot of
            software will embrace and use use the telemetry function if available.

Selling linux and user privacy to sponsors or would you call them owners. Just like Mozilla for sending all search terms
            to googli. Looking in to about:config it looks like apple is listening too.

Google, Canonical, SuSe, QT Collabora, Mercedes Benz and for sure other corporations looking for return on investment.

I refuse to install Plasma along with all systemD systems with only exception 2 uses at present time get support for MX.
            MX does include systemD even though it can start without it.

Girafenaine
              Helpful
              Up

Hello,

I have used antiX-21-runit-beta2 for a month and I am quite happy with it (on my everyday work machine).

antix 21 was released a few days ago. I guess I can go on with my antix-21-runit-beta2 and I don’t have to set a new system on the branding new antiX 21. I did all updates. However I missed at least one thing : I cannot find runit services manager in antiX Control Centre, that you can find on the new antiX 21. Is there some manual tweak to do in order to get this runit services manager ?

Girafenaine
              ----
              Antix 19 - Fluxbox - Live USB stick and frugal / MX 19 - Fluxbox - Dell XPS 7590

Girafenaine
                Helpful
                Up

OK It was just about installing runit-service-manager, I have just done it and it’s here in the antiX CC and it works well. Thanks !

However… are there other package installation or adjustements I have to do if I keep my antix-21-runit-beta2 frugal install, in order to benefit from all the antiX 21 magic ?

Girafenaine
                ----
                Antix 19 - Fluxbox - Live USB stick and frugal / MX 19 - Fluxbox - Dell XPS 7590

olsztyn
                  Helpful
                  Up

I cannot find runit services manager in antiX Control Centre, that you can find on the new antiX 21. Is there some manual tweak to do in order to get this runit services manager ?

From what I remember Runit Service Manager has been available in antiX 21 B2 for some time now. Just needed installation as it was not included in the initial B2.
                  Since you performed such installation now, my understanding is such fully updated B2 is equal to the ‘official’ golden antiX 21.
                  I have not noticed anything different or anything else to install, but more authoritative answer would rather come from the antiX’ team.

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista
                    Helpful
                    Up

Since you performed such installation now, my understanding is such fully updated B2 is equal to the ‘official’ golden antiX 21.
                    I have not noticed anything different or anything else to install, but more authoritative answer would rather come from the antiX’ team.

There have been quite a lot of changes to the live system that will not show up on the betas.
                    Other changes related to installed runit, relates to the services started.
                    Default it to use as few as possible eg tty1, tty2, dbus, connman, elogind, slimski, udev

Having said that, users are strongly advised to install the final version.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn
                      Helpful
                      Up

There have been quite a lot of changes to the live system that will not show up on the betas.
                      Default it to use as few as possible eg tty1, tty2, dbus, connman, elogind, slimski, udev

Thank for clarification. Good to know there are many background enhancements not necessarily visible to the user.
                      I am running the official golden release and replacing all B2 instances, although I did not see a difference.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by olsztyn.

Girafenaine
                        Helpful
                        Up

Having said that, users are strongly advised to install the final version.

OK anticapitalista, thanks for your answer and this advice. I will change for the final version ! (even if that means all the initial config to build up again).

And by the way, thanks for your powerful, nice and simple antiX distribution. I use it everyday and am happy with it. I have learnt a lot of linux tips and understanding with antiX, and fluxbox, and bash scripts to customize, and now this fast runit thing… Thank you for all of that, and to the other devs involved of course.

Girafenaine
                        ----

Tuxmuertox01
                          Helpful
                          Up

Fully satisfied with Antix + runit, a new reference in .deb’s world. I find it useful for desktop, liveusb… plenty of extra applications but not bloated, and best light WMs swithcher ever. Happy I tried it, even from early rc, I’ll recommend to others. Thanks for the effort guys, superb!

Brian Masinick
                            Helpful
                            Up

Fully satisfied with Antix + runit, a new reference in .deb’s world. I find it useful for desktop, liveusb… plenty of extra applications but not bloated, and best light WMs swithcher ever. Happy I tried it, even from early rc, I’ll recommend to others. Thanks for the effort guys, superb!

Thank you for the encouragement and positive comments

Brian
                            Or "The Mas"

Viewing 12 posts - 241 through 252 (of 252 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.