64 bit only – antiX-21-runit-beta2 available for testing.

Forum Forums antiX-development Development 64 bit only – antiX-21-runit-beta2 available for testing.

• This topic has 222 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated Oct 16-7:40 am by Xecure.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 222 total)
  • Author
    calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

On an installed version of B2-runit version, the first program that I installed was kodi.
    I got this display:

Setting up kodi (2:19.1+dfsg2-2) ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.26-1) ...
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.31-13) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.4-2) ...
    Processing triggers for mailcap (3.69) ...
    Available xsessions have changed
    Updating Slimski /etc/slimski.local.conf
    Writing file: /usr/share/desktop-session/wm-menus/fluxbox-wm-menu
    Writing file: /usr/share/desktop-session/wm-menus/icewm-wm-menu
    Writing file: /usr/share/desktop-session/wm-menus/jwm-wm-menu
    Writing file: /usr/share/desktop-session/wm-menus/RAW-wm-menu
    Writing Menu: icewm
    Writing Menu: fluxbox
    Writing Menu: jwm

That is the first time that I have seen this message:

When I installed another program, I did not see the above two lines.

Also,
    when I tried to install my favorite Kodi addon within Kodi, I saw this error message:
    The dependency on script.module.six version 0.0.0 could not be satisfied. This is the first time that I have seen this error message. I have installed this addon many times on antiX-bullseye A2 and B1 on Kodi 19.1 without any problems. I don’t know if it has to do with this B2 version or recent changes to the Debian bullseye repos. For those that use Kodi, can you also please try to install your addons using this B2 version and share your experience?

Update: I copied the .kodi folder from a working kodi on my antiX-bullseye-B1 system to this B2-system and kodi works with this addon. Therefore, it is not this B2-system, but has something to do with this kodi from the Debian repos that I just installed.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by calciumsodium. Reason: update on kod
    andyprough
    Helpful
    Up

Excellent – You made the tag numbers clickable in herbstluftwm!! I’m hooked already. And 9 tags. And roxterm. This is looking really good.

Look at this nifty little piece of programming to create the clickable tags – nice work @anticapitalista :

if [ ! -z "$dzen2_svn" ] ; then
                    # clickable tags if using SVN dzen
                    echo -n "^ca(1,$hc_quoted focus_monitor \"$monitor\" && "
                    echo -n "$hc_quoted use \"${i:1}\") ${i:1} ^ca()"
                else
                    # non-clickable tags if using older dzen
                    echo -n " ${i:1} "
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by andyprough.
    calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

The Unplug Removable Device button in the taskbar does not work for me. It shows that it does click, but no action.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

There is a problem getting to herbstluft from the live boot menus. I will see what happened there.

This line needs to changed to:
    desktop "desktop=herbstluftwm " "Herbstluftwm " \
    the min-herbstluft is no used anymore, and slimski can only recognize the sessiontype “herbstluftwm”

That is the first time that I have seen this message:

This is the new change I added to the apt hook so that it correctly updates the slimski login options. It also updates the Other desktop menus, but it already did this before. I just added the extra informative messages “xsessions have changed” and an explanation of what file is edited for slimski’s sessiontypes.

when I tried to install my favorite Kodi addon within Kodi, I saw this error message:
    The dependency on script.module.six version 0.0.0 could not be satisfied.

If possible, compare the sources between b1 (pre-stable) and b2 (current stable). It is possible that a deb-multimedia repo is missing or something. I will have a look in a bit.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

The Unplug Removable Device button in the taskbar does not work for me. It shows that it does click, but no action.

Robin’s last changes requires it to start with root privileges. The button needs to change to gksudo unplugdrive.sh
    I will see what version of desktop-defaults-icewm-antix is up on gitlab and send a merge request.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

gksudo unplugdrive.sh

Just curious,
    the format in ~/.icewm/toolbar

is

su-to-root -X -c

instead of gksudo. Does it matter

between

su-to-root -X -c unplugdrive.sh

vs

gksudo unplugdrive.sh
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

the format in ~/.icewm/toolbar
    is
    su-to-root -X -c
    instead of gksudo. Does it matter

I could change it to su-to-root instead (any of them work). I just created the merge request, but if anticapitalista prefers su-to-root I will change the toolbar entries and add a new commit.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I’d like some feedback from users who have tried printing, scanning, bluetooth devices, exfat partitioned usb devices, phone connections, tethering etc.
    Also, some comments on stability, speed, RAM usage would be useful.
    Doesn’t matter if it is running live or installed.
    Thanks

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

some comments on … RAM usage would be useful.

Concerning ram usage, after B2-runit boots, the baseline ram is 177 Mb. I then installed several programs via terminal and closed out the terminal window. Without any major application running, the ram did not go back to the baseline 177 Mb. It stayed at 277 Mb. I included a screenshot of the ram usage:

Attachments:
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

So is that better/worse/on a par with sysvinit/previous versions? Thanks

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

I’d like some feedback … exfat partitioned usb devices …

I have a Samsung 60 Gb USB drive formatted with exfat partitioning. It would not properly mount for me in antiX 19. I thought that I would only use it for Windows systems. This drive mounts and transfers data great in this B2-runit system.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

This is just some data from how I use antiX – it compares antiX-19 (heavily modified) and antiX-21 (beta and also modified.
    I run herbstluftwm and aim to keep the footprint as low as possible by turing off/removing services I don’t need.

* Boot time from grub to herbstluftwm desktop

antiX-19 - 11.73 secs
    antiX-21 - 8.62 secs
    * RAM usage according to ps_mem.py script

antiX-19:
    Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used	Program

92.0 KiB +  23.5 KiB = 115.5 KiB	runit
    108.0 KiB +  30.5 KiB = 138.5 KiB	runsvdir
    132.0 KiB +  82.5 KiB = 214.5 KiB	sleep
    172.0 KiB +  49.5 KiB = 221.5 KiB	ifup
    200.0 KiB +  41.5 KiB = 241.5 KiB	anacron
    208.0 KiB +  39.5 KiB = 247.5 KiB	sh
    292.0 KiB + 196.5 KiB = 488.5 KiB	herbstclient
    364.0 KiB + 142.5 KiB = 506.5 KiB	dbus-launch
    464.0 KiB + 208.5 KiB = 672.5 KiB	runsv (7)
    408.0 KiB + 315.5 KiB = 723.5 KiB	getty (3)
    760.0 KiB + 291.5 KiB =   1.0 MiB	desktop-session
      1.0 MiB + 319.5 KiB =   1.3 MiB	sudo
    828.0 KiB + 575.0 KiB =   1.4 MiB	dbus-daemon (2)
      1.4 MiB + 125.5 KiB =   1.5 MiB	awk
      1.5 MiB +  25.5 KiB =   1.5 MiB	wpa_supplicant
      1.5 MiB + 439.5 KiB =   1.9 MiB	ntpd
      1.1 MiB + 859.5 KiB =   1.9 MiB	dzen2
      1.3 MiB + 782.5 KiB =   2.1 MiB	gnome-keyring-daemon
      2.0 MiB + 343.5 KiB =   2.3 MiB	udevd
      1.6 MiB +   1.0 MiB =   2.5 MiB	console-kit-daemon
      2.6 MiB +   1.3 MiB =   3.9 MiB	herbstluftwm
      2.5 MiB +   3.0 MiB =   5.5 MiB	dhclient (3)
      4.1 MiB +   1.5 MiB =   5.6 MiB	bash (7)
      4.4 MiB +   1.5 MiB =   5.9 MiB	slim
     10.1 MiB +   6.8 MiB =  16.8 MiB	urxvt (4)
     24.2 MiB +   1.0 MiB =  25.3 MiB	Xorg
    ---------------------------------
                             84.0 MiB
    =================================

antiX-21:

Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used	Program

92.0 KiB +  42.5 KiB = 134.5 KiB	runit
    108.0 KiB +  45.5 KiB = 153.5 KiB	runsvdir
    124.0 KiB + 115.5 KiB = 239.5 KiB	sleep
    200.0 KiB + 170.5 KiB = 370.5 KiB	runsv (3)
    316.0 KiB + 116.5 KiB = 432.5 KiB	getty
    304.0 KiB + 287.5 KiB = 591.5 KiB	herbstclient
    804.0 KiB + 410.5 KiB =   1.2 MiB	desktop-session
      1.5 MiB + 208.5 KiB =   1.7 MiB	awk
      1.0 MiB + 866.5 KiB =   1.8 MiB	dzen2
      1.4 MiB + 732.5 KiB =   2.2 MiB	sudo
      2.0 MiB + 412.5 KiB =   2.4 MiB	udevd
      2.0 MiB +   1.6 MiB =   3.6 MiB	bash (6)
      2.6 MiB +   1.4 MiB =   4.0 MiB	herbstluftwm
      3.7 MiB + 292.5 KiB =   4.0 MiB	dhclient
      4.8 MiB +   1.8 MiB =   6.6 MiB	slimski
     10.0 MiB +   2.8 MiB =  12.9 MiB	urxvt (2)
     26.7 MiB +   1.2 MiB =  27.9 MiB	Xorg
    ---------------------------------
                             70.0 MiB
    =================================

Finally, pstree showing running services.

antiX-19:

pstree
    runit─┬─anacron───sh───run-parts───apt-compat───sleep
    ├─bash─┬─bash─┬─bash─┬─bash───awk
    │ │ │ └─sleep
    │ │ └─herbstclient
    │ ├─bash
    │ └─dzen2
    ├─console-kit-dae───4*[{console-kit-dae}]
    ├─dbus-daemon
    ├─dbus-launch
    ├─2*[dhclient]
    ├─rox───leafpad
    ├─runsvdir─┬─runsv───udevd
    │ ├─runsv───slim─┬─Xorg───2*[{Xorg}]
    │ │ └─desktop-session───herbstluftwm─┬─firefox-esr─┬─Privileged Cont───23*[{Privileged Cont}]
    │ │ │ ├─Web Content───23*[{Web Content}]
    │ │ │ ├─Web Content───17*[{Web Content}]
    │ │ │ ├─WebExtensions───21*[{WebExtensions}]
    │ │ │ └─57*[{firefox-esr}]
    │ │ └─urxvt─┬─bash───pstree
    │ │ └─urxvt
    │ ├─3*[runsv───getty]
    │ ├─runsv───dbus-daemon
    │ └─runsv───ntpd───{ntpd}
    └─wpa_supplicant

antiX-21:

runit-+-bash-+-bash-+-bash-+-bash—awk
    | | | `

-sleep
    | | `-herbstclient
    | |-bash
    | `-dzen2
    |-dhclient—3*[{dhclient}]
    `-runsvdir-+-runsv—udevd
    |-runsv—slimski-+-Xorg—5*[{Xorg}]
    | `-desktop-session—herbstluftwm—urxvt-+-bash—pstree
    | `-urxvt
    `-runsv—getty

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

I just tested runit beta2 on a virtual machine:
    -It feels fast
    -It looks great – I love the new desktops, the new log-in manager
    -I tip my hat to skidoo and the folks that themed the log-in manager- it looks amazing for a low footprint piece of software! And it’s localized too!… This leads to the next point:
    -antiX is now much more localized- stuff like set time & date, select new wallpaper, now are multi-lingual.
    – I’m a great fan of zzzfm- I helped test it and translate it- if you choose a desktop that starts with “zzz” you’ll end up with a a spacefm spin off that runs fast, with almost the same RAM foot print as the default Rox file manager. I liked the fact that it comes as secondary File Manager and now shows the bookmarks and the devices list- looking very similar to User Interface most people are used to
    – About the RAM usage, on zzz-icewm it runs on about 150 mb on my virtual box test- pretty nice for a latest version of Debian- I haven’t tested it much…
    – I tested HerbWM- true that I had a bit more experience with it, but now, clicking the “tag” on the top, made it much more usable for someone that (like I’ve always been- knows a few keyboard shortcuts but is too used to click on stuff)
    – What the hell? It comes with Firefox ESR AND Firefox? Or was that a dmenu bug, on herbWM?

Suggestions-
    -unplugdrive.sh- I’m not aware of the security risks, but Robin suggested a way to automatically run the script in root mode- most users won’t like having to type the password to eject a pendrive…
    -On zzz-icewm- the “root file manager” toolbar icon lunched “rox” not “zzzfm in root mode”
    -Use pt-br gksu localization files as pt-pt localization files- the gksu interface in pt-pt is unlocalized- it’s a shame that something as important has the prompt to enter a password is not localized (true that about 99% of users probably understand what it means…- but hey, there’s already a localization file available… might as well use it)
    -…When I have the time to test it a bit more, I’ll have some more suggestions…

Note- testing b2 on virtualbox made the vm crash- opening a web site in herbWM, in firefox- virtualbox now crashes every time I try to click that vm now… I’ll reboot and try again…

Verdict:
    I only tested it for less than 10 minutes before my VM craped out but this version looks great, feels snappier, is almost completely localized.
    It feels polished- it’s almost like having a shiny new device instead of a PC that is almost old enough to vote…
    As always my thanks to anti and to the entire dev team and translator team!

[Side note- I recently made my first convert to antiX- a friend had a crappy 32 bits netbook with Windows XP!!! On it- it did not work correctly any more so, antix 19.4, 32 bits to the rescue- it’s now a fully working netbook, although a bit slow doing some harder stuff like rendering very complex webpages, opening LibreOffice, etc- but nothing out of the ordinary- when I said I helped develop the script that I was using to set the time and date, he asked me: “This stuff is great! Why don’t you retire and live off this? With a sad smile I replied- because the folks that make this, like me, do it for free… He didn’t really get, it wasn’t some pirated software I was installing, that it really was completely free and legal)

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
    calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

So is that better/worse/on a par with sysvinit/previous versions? Thanks

At first, I thought that 177 Mb at baseline to 277 Mb after installing software in terminal is a bit high on this B2-runit system. So I did the following test:

On my antiX bullseye B1-sysvinit, after boot up, I get 155 Mb at baseline. Then I installed the same software applications as on the B2-runit system, then I close out terminal. The ram did not go down to baseline either. This is the first time that I have actually paid attention to the ram immediately after installing software. Instead, it stayed at 253 Mb. Why is this so? See attached screenshot. So, therefore, it is on par in terms of the ram after software installation between B2-runit and B1-sysvinit.

Attachments:
    calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

-On zzz-icewm- the “root file manager” toolbar icon lunched “rox” not “zzzfm in root mode”

I noticed this also. Is there a way to set it so that one launches zzzFM as root when clicking on the “root file manager” icon in the zzz-icewm desktop, while one launches rox as root when clicking on the “root file manager” icon in the rox-icewm desktop?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by calciumsodium.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 222 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.