A few things on this forum confuse me ……

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions A few things on this forum confuse me ……

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by seaken64 Mar 3-9:21 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    mizpa

1. Why is the “Quick News” on the home page 6 months old? I can go thru the topics/menu and find news that is only a few days old!
    2. I can see if messages come in, but can’t see if my answers are stuck in the void or if they were even sent – as well, I can’t retrieve them if I need to send them again …… ? I’ve sent a couple of PMs, but can’t find them nor can I find out if they were sent!
    3. Is there any way to make antiX a ‘rolling release’ using ‘testing’ instead of ‘Sid’ and is there a post somewhere on the forum that would tell me what repos to add and/or comment out (just in case I might want to change back)? I haven’t yet been able to find such a post, but I imagine it’s somewhere on the forum, if not on the net. I’ve used ‘Sid’ distros in the past and always got myself in trouble, so I would like to go with ‘testing this time and see if it will work for me.
    4. I installed antiX ‘live’ in the past and have kept it upgraded – it seems pretty sparse, so I’m wondering if I’m missing anything? Note: I’ve just downloaded the latest/greatest (antiX-17.3) to install over the older one and it screwed everything up! The md5sums checked out, but I can’t even get a boot page – It’s on and old D610, so it don’t matter how much I have to re-load!
    Note: I have read this thread: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/sid-and-testing-caveats/

I know there’s more, but my memory has failed once again – I’ll try to add them later!

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by mizpa.
    BobC

I have a D620. Stable works fine. I have testing running on another machine, and that is not anywhere near as easy to install, but it works thus far. I have tried Sid before and had trouble, and so I’ve mostly stuck to stable releases.

Sorry, I can’t help with the repo question. I take what it gives from the checkbox at install.

Sometimes to install an individual package from a different release to solve a problem I change the repo list, and then change it back immediately after. I would also be interested to see the correct repo list for testing anyway, so I can double check what I have.

PS: I read the other thread, and it reminds me that I have no Sid install that ever lasted.

My advice is:

“Don’t take the road that goes to the cliff if you don’t want to go to the cliff”

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by BobC.
    skidoo

re 1 & 2: it is what it is ~~ non-ideal.

way to make antiX a ‘rolling release’ using ‘testing’ instead of ‘Sid’

Unsure whether it’s available from controlCenter, but antiX has a GUI utility for changing repositories
    To launch it, type “antixsources.sh” (noquotes) at a terminal prompt
    (or if you want to inspect the script “leafpad /usr/local/bin/antixsources.sh”)
    within the GUI utility, when you choose “Testing” and click “OK”, it will revise your repository source lists ~~ switching your system to antiX testing and debian “testing” repositories. Testing always remains testing ~~ aka ROLLING

re 4:
    “latest and greatest” is antiX17.3.1 https://antixlinux.com/new-17-3-1-iso-files-available/

mizpa

Thanks skidoo!

noClue
    noClue

Regarding:

I’ve sent a couple of PMs, but can’t find them …

Have you looked under ‘Messages’?

Once inside, you have a list of your ‘conversations’.

Clicking on ‘Chat icon’ beside one of the listed ‘conversations’ will open you a complete list of ‘conversations’ with that one person.

Attachments:

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

mizpa

Thanks noClue, but my version doesn’t have the quick links that you show. To find ‘messages’, I have to go to ‘Change your settings’ and down to ‘messages’ chat shows nothing, and there’s only one message in there, from the member I’m trying to communicate with. It only shows his message to me and no others. and that’s on this laprop! I still haven’t got the antiX installed on the old D610, becuz it screwed everything up, no grub, no startup with F12, no nothing except a bunch of readouts that continue to go on and on (no rhyme nor reason) until I shut the laptop down. I have a Win7 install that came on that computer, I just used gparted to make the M$ partition smaller so I could make a swap partition and one for the antiX. I’m going to download a new version of antiX – hopefully ‘testing’ if it’s available, and then try again after I check the md5sums. If that dowsn’t work, skidoo gave me an idea about changing over to testing from a regular antiX install. (I wish I’d known that before I wiped out my antiX on that laptop.)
    Thanks
    Mizpa

mizpa

Does anyone know which iso is ‘testing‘? From what I can see, there’s core, net,full, base, and delta, and I don’t know one from the other except that core and net is like building it from the ground up and I’ve been there, done that, and I’m not computer savvy enuff to compleat that ;>)! I’d like to have ‘testing’ on that laptop becuz I don’t use it full time, so a rolling release might be better for that one other than my daily driver. THX,

Do I need to just download a ‘.full.iso’ and then use that changeover that skidoo mentioned, or is there an iso that will give me ‘testing’ without any trouble?
    TIA,
    mizpa

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

GUI insta;;er gives you choice of testing or stable repos during the installer process. It is the very first question asked,

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

skidoo

my version doesn’t have the quick links that you show

When you are logged in, that block is displayed on the forum homepage, right side.
    I squeezed the browser window to a reeeeeeeal narrow width to test and, yes, it’s still displayed… but displays at the bottome of the page. I doubt the site serves a separate “version” to mobile user-agents, so recheck the forum homepage and I trust you’ll find it (as seen in noClus’s screenshot).

GUI installer gives you choice of testing or stable repos during the installer process.

Yep, the installer launches antixsources.sh and waits while you complete that step.

mizpa

Thanks Rocky I’ll look for that if I can ever get antiX re-installed. So far any other of the distros that I have from a few years back can’t even find the antiX partition (sdb0. The same with a newer MX that I have downloaded for my other laptop. I’m not sure, but I think my antiX install went bad and formatted the whole disk, even tho I asked it to put antiX onto sdb! Even tho I have re-done gparted, the antiX install can’t find sdb. Looks like I’be lost my Win7, which had my second copy of BeerSmith and all my recipes. I’m starting to dislike antix ….. lol

mizpa

skidoo– I have a blank space between ‘change your settings’ and the magnifying glass (search) on the right side. Above that I have “Howdy mizpa, a small icon, and another search (magnifying glass).
    From left to righr the headings are: Forum (h a down arrow), Quick News (which is 6 months old), antiX Home, FAQ, Download, Donate, Logout, and Change your settings. after that is a blank space until you get to that large magnifying glass! If I knew how to make a screenshot of the forum headings, I’d post it, but then you probably still would insist that I have the same view as everyone else. For some reason, I don’t! Maybe it’s because I’m looking at the forum from a different distro and not antiX, I don’t know. I still haven’t been able to get a distro (including antiX) to install on that other laptop, so I don’t know what it would look like from an antiX install. I guess I should have left well-enough alone and kept the antiX install I had. Thanks anyways, I know you’re only trying to help!
    mizpa

BobC

mizpa, on this page, do you see on the left side underneath each person’s icon where it says “Send a Message”? Click that on anyone, and instead of sending them a message, just click where it says “Messages” on the left, and that will bring up all your messages, most recent first.

Your other issues are most likely due to high S.G. reading on the beer you have made. My last batch was SUPPOSED to be 4.2% and came out at 7.7% because a buddy had it fermenting at his house and didn’t have time to bottle, so we had to re-sweeten.

Maybe just play on flash drives so nothing of value gets hurt? Relax and have a homebrew!

noClue
    noClue

Thanks noClue, but my version doesn’t have the quick links that you show.
    … but then you probably still would insist that I have the same view as everyone else.

Oh yes, it has and of course, we would insist. No way in hell you could have “mizpa Edition” and as proof, here some smartphone screenshots.

1. You have to be logged in …
    2. Evtl. you need to disable some extensins (like NoScript)

[REMOVED]

Edit:
    Just tested and confirmed, log-in works and shows messages properly under:
    PC: Linux, Mac & Windows (Chrome/Chromium, Edge, Epiphany, Firefox, Internet Explorer & Safari)
    Smartphone & Tablet: BlackBerry, iOS, Windows Mobile

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by noClue.
    Attachments:

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

skidoo

noClue, I guess you realize the “you would insist” remark was directed at my post.
    Yesterday when I saw the followup post I began drafting a reply “not insisting, just trying to solve the puzzle…” but after typing a few sentences I decided to just close the browser tab rather than posting.

“If more details needed, you need a detailed ‘installation manual’ which I’m not gonna write.”
    Tough love?
    OP’s reformatting misfortune certainly does sound like it was self-inflicted.

Unapologetically, I’ll confess that I no longer embrace the noble “a rising tide raises all ships” outlook. antiX project spans a decade & from wading through the archives I’ve gained an awareness that, inevitablity, “normies come, and fail, and go”. Many of the live boot and desktop-sesssion mechanism(s) within antiX are largely proprietary. Some are well-documented… yet too few people can be bothered to read the docs/FAQs, which saps motivation from continuing to produce and improve the docs.

I’m inclined to respond to help requests when I realize the current relevant documentation is lacking. OTOH, I’m disinclined to continue posting explanations of “generic, basic linux” details (or websearching on behalf of the OP, and posting links). When any “normies” wander in ~~ lured by pretty wallpapers/themes/icons and by promises of “antiX magic” ~~ I wish you too, noClue, would refrain from replying, or at least change away from your forumulaic “provide coaching, AND rub the puppy’s nose in it” stylized manner of posting.

mizpa

Relax and have a homebrew!

Yeah, that’s a good idea ….. always!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.