A new resource present at transifex: aCSTV — antiX Community Simple TV Starter

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations A new resource present at transifex: aCSTV — antiX Community Simple TV Starter

• This topic has 13 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Nov 28-11:42 am by Robin.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Robin

Hello dear fellow translators,

there is a new resource ready for translation at transifex antiX contribs:

aCSTVantiX Community Simple TV Starter (ver. 1.06)

It’s a tiny script turning your PC into kind of true TV receiver, utilizing free local TV streams over IP. Even if the screenshots show the setup for German local free TV only, it is freely configurable and localisable to any country and language. (By now it is tested on antiX 19 only, maybe some modifications will be needed to make it run on antiX 21 also, due to change of some packages it depends on.)

See screenshots attached in order to find in which position a message string resides.

True source language is German this time, but simply set your personal source language in transifex editor window to »en« instead of »en@pirate«. The English translation is present already, so you can use the English language as a base for your translations easily. You remember: There is a gear wheel symbol in the upper right corner of the transifex online editor, allowing you to switch from multilingual »en@pirate« source language to any other language as your personal translation source.

The progam help file resides at gitlab. Download it from there and translate it offline, please. There is no senseful way to put this file type on transifex by now. (UPDATE: editable English translation of this help document, odt format. You may create your translation from this translation also. For reference in case of ambiguities see German original text.) All sections dealing with country specific details (as e.g. different types of tv stations like German “Öffentlich-rechtliches Fernsehen” or “Privatfernsehen”) should not get translated 1:1 but get edited and adapted to the specific circumstances in your country.

Many thanks for participating in translations of antiX !

And now here come the screenshots:

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Dear Robin,

At string n°2, in German “Sender”, it is singular. The English translation is plural “Stations”.
    Should it be singular or plural?

I have read your texts in German.
    I noticed that you have used the hyphen “-” for hyphenation of words in German at the end of sentences.
    I assume that you have not foreseen spaces between the parts of sentences that have been cut into several parts.
    Can you confirm that translators must provide spaces between sentence parts?
    I’m talking about strings n°7 to n°16.

At string #16, I had to add an extra line. I did not make a line break, I simply used the sign \n with two spaces following after. Here is my sentence in French. Would you please confirm that the sentence structure is correct?

trouverez plus d'informations sur l'utilisation dans l'aide du programme \n  accessible depuis son menu "Paramètres".

Kind regards,
    Wallon

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

@Robin,

Dear Robin, I haven’t started with trying to localize this script, but I just downloaded it and tried to run:
    Please note that your “konfigurationspfad” variable is hardcoded to “/home/demo”, shouldn’t be “$HOME”, so all user names can run this script?
    Very nice idea- I tried a couple of german channels, using the config file from your git, and they played great, a couple didn’t, errored out…
    I’ll have to find how to add a list with portuguese channels, also internationl (english) channels would be great, out of the box!

Best regards
    P.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Item 18:

PROGRAMMER’S NOTES
    option description of console help. Add or remove as many dots from the spacing as you need to meet the 80 character restriction.
    Please make sure you translate the two options »hilfe« and »h« to exactly the same expressions used for the command line options above.

Robin, could you please confirm that I have correctly understood the automatic translation into Portuguese. Will translators be able to translate the ‘–help‘ and ‘–h’ parameters?

If I understand correctly, users will be able to type parameters in the Terminal in their respective language for help.

I thank you for this excellent program.

– – – – –

Robin, por favor, poderia confirmar se eu compreendi corretamente a tradução automática para Português. Os tradutores poderão traduzir os parâmetros ‘–help‘ e ‘–h’?

Se eu consegui compreender corretamente, os usuários poderão digitar no Terminal os parâmetros em seu respectivo idioma para obterem ajuda.

Eu agradeço por este excelente programa.

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Many thanks for your feedback!

@Wallon :
    Genarally there shouldn’t be needed any additional spaces. In the specific lines you refer to, each entry starts at a new line in help message on console (see screenshot attached)

String № 2: The expression »Sender« is singular and plural both in German language: »der Sender (nom,sg,m), die Sender (nom,pl,m)« So it translates to »station« and »stations« both, dependent on its context. Here is meant plural, since the stations list contains many senders.

String № 7/8 and 12/13: The hyphen at end of line 7 means the word is cut into two pieces, because it doesn’t fit into the line completely, the second half sits on the followup line. The word is »Benutzeroberfläche« (user interface), and as you can see in English translation on transifex there is no need to use hyphens in the same place German original uses them. If you need to break a word at line end in your language, simply do so.

String № 10: Here the hyphen doesn’t break a word into two parts, but it is used as a placeholder to avoid repetition of the second part of the word. »Eine Mitschnitt- und eine Szenenphotofunktion…« (a recording function and a stillphoto function) saves to repeat the word »Funktion«. You could also write: »Eine Mittschnittfunktion und eine Szenenphotofunktion…« but this would sound quite stiff.

String № 16: Your additional line looks fine. It should work this way. You even wouldn’t need the trailing blank in the old line between »programme« and the »\n«, it could read »programme\n«. But this would only make a difference in case the line length accidentally would meet exactly the length of the maximum available console width, only then this blank would cause an additional line break not desired (by console creating automatically a new line in which sits only this very single blank character). The two blanks at the very begin of the new line are fine, this follows exactly what I had described in developer notes. This way you could add as many additional lines to the description you want to have.

String № 18: The number of dots and blanks needed doesn’t necessarily have to fill up the line to 80 characters, it depends on the overall impression or overall picture the help message arouses when called on command line using the -​h or -​-​help option. We’ll have to check this at runtime once the first version of .mo file is compiled.

@PPC :
    You are right, it should really have been $HOME instead of the hardcoded path here. This was left over from the very first tests I did with all this, and I have never kept in mind it was still there. Many thanks, I’ll replace it immediately.

they played great, a couple didn’t, errored out…

The ones not playing are probably blocked by GeoIP for your country as described in the user manual. This is the reason I can’t set up lists for other countries: Most streams from foreign countries are blocked the same way for me. So people from there will have to do this and attach the lists here so we can add them to the resources. See also the updated project information (aka “readme”) at gitlab.
    You can easily set up a list for your country: After having translated the resource and added the .mo file to your system, the file names of configuration file and stations list will be set to country specific names. There is a mechanism the script copies at startup (and creates a fresh one by itself if not present) a country specific file corresponding to your system language setting (pt_PT in your case) to the internal working name, allowing to edit the country specific stations list using the built in list editor. (Beware: If pressing the button “add entry” in this editor it will be added at the very end of the list, mostly unnoticed and invisible and you have to scroll down in order to see the new empty entry number you can edit. This is specific to gtkdialog, nothing I found which I could do to change this unfortunate behaviour.) So you may delete all nonfunctional entries for your country from the example list by checking the “remove” checkboxes in the list editor and press »remove« in order to get a template to start with in your country. Then you can add all the stations you find working streams for in your place. After saving the list in built-in editor it will get reloaded and you’ll see the new stations buttons. Only after closing aCSTV the working list will be copied back to the language specific list name again, so you could edit it from outside (only when aCSTV is not running!) using a simple text editor for mass edit. But in this case make sure to follow strictly the syntax of entries found in this file, otherwise aCSTV will fail to work correctly. (This is also a quick way to re-sort the list entries, since the built-in list editor doesn’t support moving entries up and down in the list. Maybe this function could be added later.) Make sure to adjust the bitrate setting according to the parameters described in user manual, this is crucial. The default value “2999” I’ve preset will work fine even on a 32bit PC as described, but it depends also on your internet connection and the respective streaming provider.

@marcelocripe :
    Yes you’ve guessed correctly. The shortcut letter “h” as well as the word “help” is meant to be translated to your language. This means, you will be able to enter your language specific expressions or shortcut to get help on console for this program. (but “h” and “help” will still get accepted additionally, for compatibility reasons since many users expect it this way simply). This was my first attempt to localise even the command syntax in a script.

Kind regards
    Robin

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

Hi Robin, just tried your script, many thanks, it’s very cool and snappy.
    Even though I had to tinker a little bit with the configuration path like PPC already mentioned.
    Besides changing /home/demo to $HOME, you have to create the aCSTV folder with the mentioned files in .config by yourself.
    I have to start the script with
    bash aCSTV.sh
    Otherwise it won’t run.
    I really like it and it seems the channels are running mostly, great.

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Hello @caprea ,

I’ve fixed this config path bug meanwhile at gitlab. As said above it was left over from first testings. The reason for not creating the directory from within script was simply it was designed to let it set up during package installation later. But you are probably right, the single line needed to let it create the directory itself in case it is missing for some reason doesn’t hurt, I’ll add it, so it will be enough to start the script then to have a basic functionality. There is included a routine to create the example stations list and settings file if missing already, so it could very well create the directory itself also. But for all the language specific help files there will be needed a different mechanism to put the very file corresponding to system user interface language in its place during installation, along with the until then hopefully existing language specific stations list file needed for the users country. As described in the readme on gitlab, the creation of these country specific lists is a task only achievable by community. Once these exist, they’ll be made available on gitlab as well. Probably it’s a good idea to fork-mirror this project to antiX-contribs at gitlab, so more poeple can update/add/attend these lists.

In case it runs for you only entering /bin/bash you’ll simply have to copy it to the /usr/local/bin folder and chmod it to 755. Then it’ll run entering aCSTV.sh simply. Don’t remove the .sh from file name and don’t rename it, I’m not quite sure whether I’ve hardened the internal restarting routine used after editing the stations list to work with other program names already, but all this will be covered in later versions.

I’m glad you like it. It was born after my satellite receiver ceased working due to power supply circuitry fault, and I wanted to be able to see the news still until the device will be fixed. Once I noticed how easily it allows switching the programs, and even recording and making still photos, I made a real script for antiX of it, just in the manner of “poor mans radio player”. Later on I’ll have to see whether it can also run on antiX 21, since it might be necessary to replace youtube-dl by the successor included in antiX 21. Youtube-dl is used here for selection of a stream with the correct bitrate as set in the preferences for your equipment only.

Many greetings
    Robin

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

There are some by now undocumented shortcuts (meaning they are not mentioned in usage manual by now)

Use (Minus) button to show or hide the button panel, useful when watching the TV on your primary screen instead of secondary.
    Use b button to quit aCSTV

Moreover you can use the default mpv shortcuts:

Use p button to pause playback for up to 10 minutes and to resume after pausing
    Use ← → (arrow left/arrow right) to seek in the cached minutes by +/- 5 ceconds
    Use ↓ ↑ (arrow up/down) to seek in the cached minutes by +/- 1 minute
    Use Ctrl + and Ctrl – (Control plus Plus or Minus button) to fix de-synced audio to video. Each press is 1/10 sec. To fix a delay of 10 seconds, some of the streams have sometimes, you’ll have to press the respective button 100 times.
    Use m button to mute sound and 9 and 0 button to decrease and increase volume.

In short: you may use all shortcuts of original mpv, they are working untouched when run by the aCSTV script.

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you Robin for all these explanations, I will modify the translations.
    I admire the Germanic spirit of your translations. On your screenshot “program_help_console.jpg”, everything is squared! Everything is done with great precision. You have not lost a single millimetre of the screen. 80 characters is 80 characters used with you.
    I will not be able to achieve this perfection with my translations.
    Well done.

Kind regards,
    Wallon

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Fresh from printing press: The user manuals in many languages are available. Those of the languages we cover by manual translations (real translators like you translating to) are mostly not there still, since the manual translations will be more precisely than the automatically created ones. People from the countries in which the automatically translated languages are spoken will have to fix a lot, I presume…

@Wallon : It’s not “Germanic Spirit”, what you want to express, I do hope. (This expression was misused here some decades ago. “Am deutschen Wesen soll die Welt genesen” and some more nonsense of this kind. {Emanuel Geibel}) It was simply I am trained by job to design things, and won’t let happen their form accidentally only, without giving it a clear shape, if I can manage it. Btw, it’s only 73 characters, so I’ve actually “wasted” 7 characters, following your interpretation 🙂 And some of the lines don’t line up correctly in their ending, there is plus one additional sign in some of them. I don’t have any intention to fix this. If I had, this would be what you refer to as “Germanic Spirit”.

Kind regards
    Robin

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Some bugs and errors are to be fixed still. There is a strange one, depending on the number of stations in the stations list. By now, don’t put exactly 30 Stations into the list. If you do so, aCSTMS won’t start. Let it be either 29 or 31. 🙂 Strange thing, but there is an error in the calculation subroutine how many station buttons should be sit on one row and how many rows are to be written to screen for a given number of entries. The formula used for this was roughly cobbled together only, waiting to get some devotion. Watch out, there might by more blocking entry numbers… Will be fixed as soon as possible.

Another important hint: The localised file names for configuration file, stations list and pdf help file will start to work in your home language not before the .mo file of your language is in place (until then the untranslated filenames are used, but marked by their language identifiers already). After this the files are expected to have exactly the filenames used in the transifex translation from which the .mo file was created, having the language identifiers also present.

Examples:

File set for pt_BR in config directory:
    Configurações da aCSTV.pt_BR.lst
    Emissoras da aCSTV.pt_BR.lst
    Manual.pt_BR

File set for en_GB in config directory:
    aCSTV-Settings.en_GB.lst
    aCSTV-Stations.en_GB.lst
    Instructions.en_GB.pdf

File set for en_US in config directory:
    aCSTV-Settings.en_US.lst
    aCSTV-Stations.en_US.lst
    Instructions.en_US.pdf

Rename your existing files after installing the transltated .mo file for your language, in case you have run aCSTV without this translations before and want to keep your settings and stations. Otherwise fresh files with the default settings and example stations list, using the localised file names will get created for your language.

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

Dear Robin,

In the English manual, there is a small typo to be removed.

Still photograph:
    The button »Stillphotograph« creates a photo of the recently displayed TV image. The photograph will be stored in the folder as set in program configuration, using the filename Stillphoto-<Station>-<Date>-<Time>.png abgelegt. Example: Stillphoto-Arte-03.10.2021-17:14:22.png

The word “abgelegt” does not exist in English.

ARTE is an excellent TV channel (mix of film and programmes in German and French). In Belgium it is only broadcast on cable. In France and Germany, it is broadcast freely. So in Belgium, it is not possible to watch the TV channel ARTE with aCSTV-antiX (it is geo-blocked).
    What I don’t understand is that our Belgian public channel RTBF invests a lot of money in ARTE and you have to go through private cable to watch it.

Best regards,
    Wallon

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

Dear Robin,

Here is the French translation of the user manual.

Both files are the same.
    I made a handling error.
    I can’t remove one of the two files. I can’t find the option to delete a file.

Kind regards,
    Wallon

• This reply was modified 11 hours, 53 minutes ago by Wallon.
    • This reply was modified 11 hours, 48 minutes ago by Wallon.
    Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Many thanks, Wallon! Your translation of the manual and the user interface looks great.

I’ll correct my error in the English translation. The word “abgelegt” is not needed here anymore, it was left over from translating the text to English manually (it’s the so called German “Klammerstellung”, with the predicate split.). It means “stored” here, so I simply have forgotten to delete it at its position in the end of this sentence, and it is present already in translation. The correct English sentence should read without this “abgelegt” in the end:
    The photograph will be stored in the folder as set in program configuration, using the filename Stillphoto-<Station>-<Date>-<Time>.png

And then I’ll add your french version of manual to gitlab soon.
    But… wouldn’t you like to rewrite the passage:
    La plupart des diffusions des chaînes publiques de la télévision allemande transmettent actuellement avec les taux ;
    so it refers to streams sent by Belge and French televison instead of German stations? This would be a great improvement to this text for your country I think. In the translated manuals there needn’t to be references narrowed to the country specific situation in Germany, it is much more interesting for the user to learn these infos suitable for his country.

Also the automatically created file name of a record will get the translated wording from transifex, so you might want to translate “Sendungsmitschnitt” also in the manual. It simply means “Record of a transmission”. If I’d known the correct french term for this i’d have replaced it already, but I’ll let this task to you better.

It’s a pity to hear they have geoblocked the Arte channel via IP in Belgium. It is among the best channels I know. So single thing you could do is to use a satellite receiver, since it is on European ASTRA 19,2°(East) satellite beam, free to air. (sad for aCSTV)

Have a nice sunday,
    Robin

P.S.: If I’m not mistaken, we’ll already see today @marcelocripe will have managed to finish the automatic translation of aCSTV user interface to all the missing languages with no real translators present. He’s at 83% of the .mo files already. Many thanks, Marcelo! Let us know here once you have done it.

PPS: The »25-and-30-strings-in-stations-list-file-bug« mentioned some posts above is fixed in the most recent version update on gitlab.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.