A small doubt about Live-usb-maker

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” A small doubt about Live-usb-maker

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Jan 25-2:31 pm by olsztyn.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ctcx

So finally tried Live-usb-maker. I also liked how it works, if I may mention.

Just one doubt. It only runs as root; thus -I think-, all created files and directories are owned by root. Is it harmful if changing them all to owner standard user?

Thanks.

ModdIt

Better is when you ask this kind of question you give a valid detailed reason, i.e. not ask a question you
        could have quickly answered yourself.

Up to now live usb maker has always given me a working system, either with or without personal changes,
        that depends on the used ISO image. It also includes running and installing on a large range of machines,
        exception one with a very new processor.

Where permissions and/or ownership need to be changed is when they are incorrect on the system which provided
        the ISO image. Usualy user playing with things he or she does not yet understand.

Indiscrimate changes of ownership to user may cause a lot of issues often resulting in need to reinstall/remake
        from a known clean ISO Image. Changing ownership from for example demo to another username is easy. Tool in control
        center is best for safety and convenience.

christophe

I agree with Moddit: don’t change them.

Remember, this live-usb is a portable antiX operating system. All the system files should be owned by root.

Once you start using it, then /Live-usb-storage/demo/ will be automatically created, and will be owned by demo. It’s for user file storage on the usb-stick, independent of persistence.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

Anonymous

all created files and directories [written to the liveUSB FAT32 partition by live-usb-maker] are owned by root

FAT32 -formatted partitions do not support linux file permissions.
            Those permissions you’re seeing are determined by mount options specified each time the drive is mounted.

ctcx

Er, I did try changing ownership to all stuff in the LiveUSB system partition (which is ext4, not FAT32; FAT32 is the ESP). It certainly didn’t seem to cause something strange at short term, but I kind of feared it could at long term usage.

But I got the point. I’ll not mess with it.
              Thanks.

olsztyn

Er, I did try changing ownership to all stuff in the LiveUSB system partition (which is ext4, not FAT32; FAT32 is the ESP). It certainly didn’t seem to cause something strange at short term, but I kind of feared it could at long term usage.
                But I got the point. I’ll not mess with it.

The one thing I messed with (although not changing ownership as I did not see a reason for this):
                Instead of two partitions – Fat32 (UEFI boot) and Ext4 (antiX system) I put both in the same Ext4 partition (One partition antiX Live). This was manually done for testing.
                I tested the resulting antiX21 Live on both MBR and UEFI laptops and it booted fine on both. So possibly a separate Fat32 partition might be redundant but since I tested on just several laptops it is not conclusive it would boot on all…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.