A Strange difference between Antix 23 and MX-23

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo A Strange difference between Antix 23 and MX-23

• This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Sep 14-1:54 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    giogio

Hi,
      I just tried Antix23 and MX23 on an Asus T103H (atom x5 based), a quite old and odd machine where, for the most linuxes, there is no way to use the audio and any usb camera attached to it.
      For the first time since many years, I found a linux that uses its audio and that allows to see an attached usb webcam (the inner webcam is still not seen): MX23 Libretto 64 bit (any flavors).
      Oddly,when I tried to test Antix23 I was back to the old things (no audio for sure, I did no test the attached webcam).
      The audio is, as stated by the info from the os:
      Audio:
      Device-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Imaging Unit
      vendor : ASUSTeK driver: intel atomisp2 pm v: kernel bus-ID: 00:03.0 chip-ID: 8086:22b8
      class-ID: 0480
      API: ALSA v: k6.1.0-10-amd64 status: kernel-api tools:alsamixer,amixer
      Server-1 :PipeWirev: 0.3.65 status: active with: 1: pipewire-pulse status: active
      2: wireplumber status: active 3: pipewire-alsa type: plugin 4: pw-jack type: plugin
      tools: pactl, pw-cat, pw-cli,wpctl

So my question: Is there any difference between Antix 23 and MX 23 so that the same hardware is not recognized by both the os’s?

Thank you all
      regards

• This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by giogio.
      • This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: Modified title
      sybok

I did not use MX, hence I cannot elaborate on that.
        My suggestion: compare kernel versions and loaded modules using e.g. ‘uname -a’ and ‘inxi -GA’ (the switches determined using man-pages, ‘man inxi’) something you have already started based on the output you provided.

Brian Masinick

“So my question: Is there any difference between Antix 23 and MX 23 so that the same hardware is not recognized by both the os’s?”

I was thinking about multimedia in general and sound in particular yesterday; my thoughts “could” also apply to various additional components.

Two of the characteristics antiX provides that are rare, with few matching competitions is that it offers a very lean, efficient approach and concurrently it attempts to provide a broad range of hardware support.

Though MX Linux and antiX Linux share several great tools, their kernel and module stack is quite different and they support different scenarios.

MX Linux is a reasonably reliable and efficient distribution but it supports at least two fairly large desktop environments, Xfce and KDE Plasma. It also has a base kernel that is 3 minor releases newer and offers “Advanced Hardware Support”, (AHS) which means it will support fairly recent hardware and these factors identify the crucial differences between antiX and MX – MX is clearly designed for current generation hardware and antiX is clearly designed for older generation hardware.

That said, antiX does work for *some* recent hardware as long as it has classic components that don’t contain the latest cutting edge features. It will support NVME SSD drives; these are no longer ‘brand new ‘.

These differences are the reason why some distributions are able to handle audio and video well; they don’t have to make as many feature compromises; what they can’t handle is the really old hardware that antiX readily recognizes.

That’s my conjecture why sound and media work very well for me and not for others; the systems I own are common, middle of the road units that both distributions are able to use effectively.

For example I can run KDE Plasma on Endeavour OS and Open Mandriva without any problems; 1/3 of the memory is used just to enable the desktop environment, which is unnecessary overhead for me because I don’t need the capabilities it offers, but it does work.

Similarly I don’t necessarily need Xfce either but when I need multimedia distributions like MX Linux or PC Linux OS are handy because they usually include what I need and more.

These different scenarios are actually what make the sometimes confusing array of Linux distributions useful; it’s difficult for one distribution to do EVERYTHING super well. It’s clear that antiX is the top lean, efficient distribution. I find siduction, MX Linux and Endeavour OS useful for the occasions when a few memory hungry, powerful tools are either helpful or necessary so I am a happy distro hopper who does consistently make antiX my ‘home’ distribution.

--
          Brian Masinick

giogio

HI, I suppose there is something strange between the “live” Antix I used and the installed one. This is due to the fact that after I installed Antix 23 on an usbkey,now the system recognize well my audio board and it is working (after that I see Firefox not playing audio in you tube, but that is another type of problem). I am not so sure the system had made an automatic update in the while.

gtick440

Gio,

Did you install Pulse Audio for Antix 23? I had to do that.

Xunzi_23

Pulse Audio is not needed, it is also quality destructive for sound.

Check apulse is installed. Check your sound device is configured correctly,
                tool in control center.

If you installed a different firefox. i.e. non esr you can start the browser with apulse prefix
                i.e. --apulse firefox

But for youtube SMTube and the console application ytfzf with player are far more efficient.

ytfzf is, as is, non graphics but very easy to use. aliases are in personal opinion useful
                Put in the /home/YourUsenameHere/.bash_aliases. pages 3 shows 3 pages of search results.
                yt shortens the console command to just yt.

alias yt='ytfzf --pages=3'
                alias ytt='ytfzf -t --pages=2'
                giogio

Hi, and thank you all.
                  My system has – by default – both apulse and ytfzf but what I got as exit is the same: no sound with youtube etc. I suppose there is some trick to fix (maybe in some setup somewhere).
                  The test sound is fine and if I play usual mp3 files I can hear them.
                  I did not try pulseaudio, because the not working system had pulseaudio, so,for now, I prefere stay with this one.
                  By the way, the actual system has a kernel 6.x while if I execute the system with the kernel 5.x (available in advanced options at boot) the sound card has not detected at all, as in the older versions of Antix.

blur13

Remove/move alsa config files in home and /etc

ie
                    mv .asoundrc .asoundrc-backup
                    sudo mv /etc/asound.conf /etc/asound-backup.conf

restart the system.

Now try
                    apulse firefox

This, surprisingly, solved audio on firefox on one of my systems. I’ve now taken to removing those files on all my systems. Modern alsa seems to just work out of the box. Those config files provide an equalizer, but I dont need it. Also provides “pre-amp”, but I found that the sound is way louder without it.

giogio

Hi,
                      I applied everything but what I got was a system that ….stopped to use sound anyway.
                      Suspecting something could be wrong in the while due to updates and different changes I reinstalled fully the system.
                      So I get that if I use your suggestion, i.e. the command “apulse firefox” it sounds fine and it is ok (while if I lauch just “firefox” the sound is ko).
                      Thank you for your working suggestion!
                      Regards

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by giogio.
                      PPC

antiX-23 full version comes, by default with Pipewire sound server – I also failed to have sound working on my netbook, running the modern kernel, when I tested the Live antiX-23 sysv Full, 64bits version on my netbook. There’s an excelent post, by abc, explaining how to edit antiX configuration so Pipewire and all the services it requires start correctly even on very old hardware. You can test if the sound problem can be solved even without editing a config file. Just wait a bit (I wait about 1 minute, to be on the safe side) and then I click antiX menu > Desktop > Desktops > zzz-icewm. IceWM restarts, the volume icon appears and sound works (this kind of forces everythign to restart and since the stuff pipewire requires to provide sound under antiX already started, sound works…). If this little trick works for you, then probably if you follow the tutorial to edit pipewire’s configuration and restart, sound will probably always work for you, no “apulse” required…

P.

giogio

Hi, thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately the sequence of simply waiting that you describe seems not working for me, but maybe I acted the wrong way.
                          The post you talked about is really interesting and deep: when I will have time, I will try to work on it.
                          In the while, because this is just an “auxiliary ” computer for me, the “apulse” solution is enough.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by giogio.
                          PPC

There may be some differences between antiX 23 and Mx 23: like kernel, including extra drivers, etc.
                            As far as I know both antiX and MX use the drivers offered in the kernel (the exception being that you can install Nvidia proprietary drivers, install printer drivers, etc)
                            If the same kernel is used, hardware support should be the same out of the box on both distros.
                            Probably you experienced sound problems on antiX because pipewire audio server may be differently implemented in MX- antiX’s default pipewire config may require a few changes, as abc-nix found out and explained how to implement here in the forum (I even suggested a few lines that, once run on the terminal should fix the problem).
                            The webcam may very probably be detected because of a slightly kernel difference (or some extra software, that recognizes it).
                            If MX works out for your hardware, stick with it. For very old hardware, I would advise Mx-Linux Fluxbox – it’s lighter than the XFCE and the KDE versions, and it’s RAM usage may be even more trimmed down, by disabling desktop icons (run by idesk and the dock – that uses some RAM for every icon it renders- and I do not mean a little bit of RAM either…). Add quick lanchers to the tint2 toolbar using tint2’s UI (“tint2conf”, if I recall correctly- but it’s not that intuitive to use), and you end up with somehting that looks a lot like antiX running fluxbox window manager with the FT10 installed and enabled…

P.

Xunzi_23

Regarding post 116336 from blur 13, removing ~/asoundrc on a multiple output device setup breaks sound.
                              The /etc/asound.conf can be renamed removed, that in normal case sets max and min sound levels
                              so louder sound is I assume to be expected.

I think on a system with a single sound device all no issue.

@ present sound is driving me nuts, I used to have Big IMF Reference Transmission line speakers
                              and needed cash so sold them. what I call myself at times is against forum rules…
                              Think I have to build some huge TL from Voigt.

giogio

I usually use MX on some machines, for this one I wanted to test all the flavours (KDE/XFCE and FluxBox): all of them run fine (even the KDE is not slow). I tried Antix because it seemed lighter to me and just because I like it.
                                While testing Antix, with the “apulse” solution,I noted another difference with MX: while playing from the internet (music or news or son) after a few it stopped due to getting a null value (and producing a long “beep”) , this does not happen with MX, at least since now.

Brian Masinick

I usually use MX on some machines, for this one I wanted to test all the flavours (KDE/XFCE and FluxBox): all of them run fine (even the KDE is not slow). I tried Antix because it seemed lighter to me and just because I like it.
                                  While testing Antix, with the “apulse” solution,I noted another difference with MX: while playing from the internet (music or news or son) after a few it stopped due to getting a null value (and producing a long “beep”) , this does not happen with MX, at least since now.

Because of various improvements in antiX 23, though I’m still an avid “distro hopper”, a longtime hobby, on days when I am particularly busy I find very little specific need to use any other distribution, so some days it’s “just antiX!” I’m very pleased to be able to say this because antiX has been a stable and a staple in my distribution collection since it was first introduced, and that hasn’t changed a bit!

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.