About SSE2

Forum Forums General Software About SSE2

Would you like more apps non-SSE2 supported to run into old systems?

Some i386 old (very) systems can't run these apps.

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1Yes, some apps crashed by no reason when they don't even start and I didn't know it till now.
  • #2No, find a way to get a better machine or the farm will fit well to you.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by caprea Dec 23-3:37 am.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Some1

Warning: The following information is provided to you by a boring linux user and it is your sole responsability to keep reading.

Intro

Since long time ago, I was looking for and expecting alternatives than win xp to run old machines. Since I can’t afford to buy the brand new model, I stick in the past, looking for information and forking programs, apps, who can run still in nearly lost systems. That’s what mainly brough me to linux, I had taste some flavors before using antiX (I wanna know why its name) and they seems to be moving to the future, being competitive against the lastests OS found in any market; leaving behind the old systems that can still run some tasks, some good apps, because it doesn’t matter if you made the best and only OS, without programs and apps, you just have got a plot. Many several stuff brough me here, to ask about SSE2, what this computer can’t support or run.

Problem

Hi, I got antiX 17.1 version from its release and that’s what I’m running now from an usb-live stick, this computer hard disk was blown up by a nasty user, since its person didn’t get a hard disk to put on use into it, I took it borrowed without it knowledge because I don’t have any other machine to use by now.

I’m surprised that many programs and apps that I would install in a linux OS are already installed; but not all of them can run due the SSE2 support, firefox are one of them (there is another one but I forgot its name), so firefox goes to crash directly, there’s no clue why till I did research about it, even if you check the logs or status on the terminal there are information regarding it.

It would be nice, because I believe that there are other people with i386 computers that select x86 antiX to revive it and find out what can they do with it. Since firefox-esr dissapointed me, I got Opera webbrowser (12.16) to run for it instead, it’s very limited and keep crashing the plugins box (maybe due I’m running a live-usb) because Dillo (never remove this program, I was able to get into many websites to get information, even to install this browser) can not be used to registration into this website, same as this browser since it can’t show the captcha challenge. There are no ways for me to register here using this computer and system (as a barely user that I am).

Conclusion

So, I’m not asking to make this distro focused into x86 as many other are going to merge into x64; but I’d like if there is one more or a final edition for i386 computer users from this distro, I feel comfy with it, I’d like you (person who sort the apps into this system) to add a non-SSE2 section, maybe next to the “Personal help menu video”, this way most i386 users can enjoy or run apps that other distro may not offer.

Maybe it’s not possible to find or test these apps, maybe the efford rate is too hight, maybe to watch tv would be better; but, I’d like to read some comments about this idea, to listen what other people think would make me wise.

Kind regards and keep the good work.

This is a signature.

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Dave

I am pretty certain that there are already nonsse2 versions of programs in the antix repo… but enough to quantify another subsection I am not sure.

For example for debian buster release http://repo.antixlinux.com/buster/pool/main/p/palemoon-nonsse2/

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

skidoo

I had taste some flavors before using antiX (I wanna know why its name)

Some1

I gonna try later palemoon nonSSE2 if I’m able, since I just started to figure out about these stuff, still have to look around to see if I can deal with it. Also I hope these can run flash player, some websites where I try to send free sms and most games use flash since ages ago and they don’t seem to change it. I believe they don’t make these apps, just offer the service and as client, I’ve to deal with it.

This is a signature.

Anonymous

You’re riding a dead horse.

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530&start=140
    https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-relatively-modern-browser-that-doesnt-require-SSE2-and-runs-under-Windows-XP
    https://cromwell-intl.com/open-source/flash-on-non-sse2-cpu.html

I noticed that “Since I can’t afford to buy the brand new model …” and I like to suggest you to try to get something newer. I’ve no idea where are you living but, as an idea …

There are junkyards in almost every city. People pass by with their cars, throw away the stuff they don’t need, sometimes a perfectly well functioning CoreDuo. A friend of mine collected a couple of such old machines and has a pretty decent GAMING PC. No, you can’t compare it to a brand new one but, it’s good enough to run some 2012 games with over 30 fps.

olsztyn

There are junkyards in almost every city. People pass by with their cars, throw away the stuff they don’t need, sometimes a perfectly well functioning CoreDuo.

Just want to mention eBay as another source of used laptops. Very capable and well made Thinkpads decommissioned from corporations, usually without hard drive so as to ensure data security. Such as Core2Duo Thinkpad X61 (I am typing now) can be had for below $50, i5 based X220 or T410 can be found for below $100. I consider these machines not inferior (and in some aspects superior) to the ones currently sold in stores.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Rub palemoon non=sse2 like suggested. It is my go to browser on my IBM T23

AntiX 17 Full install on IBM T23

You might want post the output of

inxi -v8

So members can get a better idea of what you are posting about and can advise better.

Howdy and Welcome. But. I am figuring so far that flash player is a no go and we supplied alternatives to watch youtube in all kinds of different ways outside of using your browser. Search youtube on how.

I don’t use my browser for video watching using flashplayer
    I access menu>Help>AntiX Video to teach me how I should run AntiX on older gear to watch youtube and other videos.

Worse case scenario for me on old xp gear. I use youtube-dl < command line downloader already installed in AntiX to save the video to hardrive to watch later using MPV player Here is mpv on my AntiX 15 32 bit install

mpv/jessie,now 0.7.2-1 i386 [installed]
    video player based on MPlayer/mplayer2

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Sure. I would like more non-sse2 apps to be built.

Problem is. I am only the boss of myself. My wife and kids are independent entities and usually blow me off. It does not bother me. Makes me grin from time to time though.
    As I am usually right.

You want non sse2 apps. Download the source and re build to your druthers. If successful . They will come.
    I’d never get any where on my ancient motorcycles if I had to wait for some one to fix em.
    For free.

😉

Some1

You’re riding a dead horse.

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530&start=140
    https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-relatively-modern-browser-that-doesnt-require-SSE2-and-runs-under-Windows-XP
    https://cromwell-intl.com/open-source/flash-on-non-sse2-cpu.html

I noticed that “Since I can’t afford to buy the brand new model …” and I like to suggest you to try to get something newer. I’ve no idea where are you living but, as an idea …

There are junkyards in almost every city. People pass by with their cars, throw away the stuff they don’t need, sometimes a perfectly well functioning CoreDuo. A friend of mine collected a couple of such old machines and has a pretty decent GAMING PC. No, you can’t compare it to a brand new one but, it’s good enough to run some 2012 games with over 30 fps.

I’m glad with every1 opinions, since getting a new computer from a garbage pail, to make apps nonsse2; but this answer its the one that I will use to make my main opinion and answer.

First of all, that I didn’t went further due this computer machine gots it’s hard disk blow up (due spider webs inside, hight download speeds over the writting speed it supports, plus virures and stuff that a kid would enjoy to install and run). So I take it back to life with this distro (running in safe mode video) because normal boot it doesn’t start like other distro that I tried to test. For example Ubuntu didn’t pass the menu where it says memtest and these stuff or even show that menu before.

So, I tried this distro and these configurations and the miracle happend, I’d like and tried to install the OS into another usb-disk but I’ve none over 4GB (extremely poor); that’s too much spam for you to know, I will stop with it or u will throw me some donations on the face.

Read below here

I did install and run palemoon-nonsse2 downloaded from antix repositories, “Sid” thing; next time I will update and try with another repositories because the app didn’t stop crashing, even openning the configuration. The web browser at least start and you can watch a simple-made website, as soon as u click another link it crashes. Ilegal operation it says. Since it’s an unstable repo, maybe it’s the reason, the browser seems to be better than running this opera 12.16 (I couldn’t snatch a better one from it’s own website for linux); but everything I try to do, it crashes. Tomorrow or if the electricity goes off, the next time I will update repo and try again (I already tried now and it didn’t work, it downloads it from Sid again still with Sid disabled).

About these winxp stuff, I already did read that topic days ago when I was servicing a machine, a laptop toshiba L20-S231, even the internet explorer was unable to open google, ask or even windows update. Somehow I manage to get the google chrome installer (because I tried slimbrowser and it blue screen the computer, I did it several times because I found it fun to remember these blue screens). And it downloaded, installed and run the last version capable to it, that way that oldman can keep playing sudoku and check news via web. I was going to suggest him to use this distro but he needs program like lulowin that I don’t know how to run them or explain him in easy steps to make it. So I better I let him go with what he knows.

The flash player thing really worked, I followed almost every step and now I can play some games, even chat and these who do not require a high ssl stuff in this opera browser, now it left for me to know if pale moon would work for me if I download it from another repo or if I get another browser who can run flash and also a high ssl thing; by other hand I’m thinking (from what I have read from these links), that I will be unable to get into these websites anyway because their ssl stuff need also sse2 or up. I mean this proccessor may not work for it.

The main reason about a sse2 place in the menu with their own apps, it’s because I didn’t know about it till I started to research it and got discover as bug crash, maybe other users will feel same. Anyway that’s my comment by now, hoping u can answer back to it.

This is a signature.

Anonymous

If the official versions don’t work for you, then I don’t have much hope.

You’ll probably have a problem that they’re SSE (not SSE2) i686 (not i386, i486) builds.

Maybe try some old archieved version 24 or 25.

Q4OS had such pale-stoneage-moon build but, how one could install that .esh on Debian — no idea.

https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1879

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

If you use nonsse2, remove adobe-flashplugin

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

If you use nonsse2, remove adobe-flashplugin

That is probably why palemoon crashed. Every gui browser from Seamonkey to Firefox-esr will crash with flash player installed on a non-sse2 cpu.
    Even Qupzilla would crash on me with flash player installed on a non-sse2 cpu.

So, what’s new in antiX-17?

smtube – play youtube videos without a using a browser

streamlight-antix – stream videos with very low RAM usage.

Streamlight instructions
    https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-15/FAQ/streamlight.html

Some1

I removed any flash player version plus deleting the traces before using the libflashplayer.so as explained from the website. It does not matter wich website I do open, if I make a click or something it crashes. Few minutes ago I tried to download from palemoondotorg the 24x version but it only allowed me to get 3.8GB in a zip file. The source to test is in x64 to compile and run. Slow net due visitors, gonna try these stuff later.

This is a signature.

caprea
    caprea

By default on antiX the adobe-flashplugin is installed.If you have a non-sse2 cpu, you must deinstall it. Otherwise every modern browsers like firefox will crash.

I don’t see any really reasonable way to install the adobe-flashplugin from other sources.You must remember the flash that maybe works is very outdated, 4-5 years old ,very unsecure.
    If you deinstall the flashplugin on a fresh installed antiX , firefox or even palemoon nonsse2 should run fine.

So either something else is wrong on the system, maybe a graphics card driver problem. or you borked something when installing the adobe-flash from the webside.
    The only way to find this out, if this is possible for you, is to begin from the start.
    If it works then, you could log into the forum and post your hardware
    inxi -zv7

If you really don’t want to miss the flash and safety doesn’t matter to you at all then you might as well could install antix13 and omit an update.The flashplayer there might, should work.
    BTW I don’t need adobe-flash at all.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by caprea.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.