Access-cloud – GUI to access cloud drives from your file manager- like Gdrive

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Access-cloud – GUI to access cloud drives from your file manager- like Gdrive

• This topic has 9 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Jul 21-2:31 pm by PPC.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    PPC

Part of the FT10 package is a tiny script that tries to implement something that is many times included out of the box with many OSes: accessing cloud drives from a File Manager.

Recently an user tried to use the script and noticed that it fails to automatically set up Google Drive (the other option is using a very particular terminal interface to set up access to the cloud drive). Google (or rclone itself) changed something and the automatic set up was not working. I found an alternative way, that is currently working.
      If anyone is interested, I attach the script.

How to test the script:
      – download the script; unzip it; launch the script (via terminal or a file manager)
      – if you do not have rclone installed, a window will pop up, asking if you want to install it. It’s installed from a terminal window, automatically (you may have to enter your password). You may have to relaunch the script
      – if rclone is installed, when you startup the script, the main window will not show any cloud drive (unless you manually configured one in rclone). To configure a cloud drive, click the second button > if all you need is access to your Google Drive, on the configuration window, click the “Google Drive” button > the default web browser will pop open, asking for your Google Credentials > enter them > allow rclone access to your Google cloud on the next web page > a final web page will tell you “Success”. You may close the browser, it’s no longer needed.
      If you want to configure another cloud service, press the first configuration button, to enter a terminal interface to manually configure the service you want.
      – If you have a cloud service configured, it should be listed on the main window. Double click it. It will be mounted and displayed on your default File Manager.
      – The main window does have a button to unmount all mounted cloud drives, once you are done using them.

That’s it. No fancy GUI’s, just the basic – if all you want is to access Gdrive from antiX, it’s as easy as it gets, just half a dozen of clicks or so to set it up, a couple of clicks to access it.

If all goes well, a .deb package will be created and I’ll ask anticapitalista to add it to the antiX repository, for easy installation.

P.

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by PPC.
      • This topic was modified 1 year ago by PPC.
      PPC

I made a small change – now the GUI also allows to automatically set up a OneDrive cloud account. It’s easy, once I figured out how to do it. Unfortunatly, this may break any time, as soon as Google and MS change something, or rclone changes… The last process worked well for about 2 or 3 years…

P.

Lead Farmer

@PPC This is a nice idea, I test it and install Google Drive with no problem, I test mounting and unmounting the drive, and it worked ok.
          This is a good GUI, good job.

The button Manage Cloud Drives didn’t work for me, it in to add quotation marks to “rclone config”.

--button=$"Manage Cloud Drives":'desktop-defaults-run -t "rclone config"'

Question what is the command to mount a Google Drive, if I want to add it to startup.

Edit: adding it to startup

rclone --vfs-cache-mode writes mount 'GoogleDrive:' path/GoogleDrive &

It takes +30MB, so I don’t recommend running it in startup.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Lead Farmer.
          PPC

It takes +30MB, so I don’t recommend running it in startup.

Yes, that’s why I did not add that option to the script. It’s meant to both add cloud drives to the default File Manager and save resources, because running rclone and a File Manager is always lighter than using a web interface, inside a browser.
            What I recommend is, if you use zzzfm, adding a bookmark to the script (or even just to mount command you used) so you have an easy to use “Cloud Drive” option, right there where it’s convenient…
            I’ll change a couple of things in the latest version of the script and then I’ll try to package it.

P.

Lead Farmer

The rclone version in the repo is old (in Antix 22), I install the deb file version 1.63.1, in this version you have a lot more sources, including Mega that I have 2 accounts, I hope the new version will be included in Antix 23 repos.

What I recommend is, if you use zzzfm, adding a bookmark to the script (or even just to mount command you used) so you have an easy to use “Cloud Drive” option, right there where it’s convenient…

I add an actions in nemo to mount the drives.

PPC

The rclone version in the repo is old (in Antix 22), I install the deb file version 1.63.1, in this version you have a lot more sources, including Mega that I have 2 accounts, I hope the new version will be included in Antix 23 repos.

It seems you are out of luck – I’m running antiX-23-beta2 right now. The rclone version that’s in the repo is 1.60.1+dfsg-2+b5, a few versions below that one.

Edit: I should have mentioned this on my Original Post:
                Like the saying goes “There is no Cloud, just someone else’s computer”. In a way, this is correct. Be aware that (at least) the most used cloud services in the world (Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive) do look at what you put on “your” cloud drive and may delete any file at any time (MS as been reported to do so).
                If you want to store sensitive information on a cloud service, at least encrypt it, even if your cloud service says it’s encrypted end to end, it’s a safe assumption that statements like that can’t really be checked – since most services are closed source and there may be some kind of “workarounds” or “backdoor”.

P.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by PPC.
                Lead Farmer

It seems you are out of luck – I’m running antiX-23-beta2 right now. The rclone version that’s in the repo is 1.60.1+dfsg-2+b5, a few versions below that one.

Well it’s newer then the version in Antix 22 I think it is 1.53, I will test it out when after I install Antix 23, if it doesn’t work for me, I will install the deb version.

Lead Farmer

[quote quote=112205]Edit: I should have mentioned this on my Original Post:
                    Like the saying goes “There is no Cloud, just someone else’s computer”. In a way, this is correct. Be aware that (at least) the most used cloud services in the world (Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive) do look at what you put on “your” cloud drive and may delete any file at any time (MS as been reported to do so).
                    If you want to store sensitive information on a cloud service, at least encrypt it, even if your cloud service says it’s encrypted end to end, it’s a safe assumption that statements like that can’t really be checked – since most services are closed source and there may be some kind of “workarounds” or “backdoor”.

Nicely said, I know google do check if you have pirate files in Google Drive, or “illegal” images, like the man that got is account deleted when toke medical images of son, and giving its detail to the authorities.
                    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/aug/22/google-csam-account-blocked

I don’t think I will be encrypting my files, once I had a problem sending a program in Gmail it thought it was a virus when send it, the way I got around it was by compressing the file .zip and renaming it to zix or something, that way Google could not read it, I don’t know if that still works.

PPC

This version of the script has a couple of changes:
                      1- automatically shows the Configuration window, if now Cloud is configured
                      2- fixes a localization bug Marcelo found

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by PPC.
                      PPC

Following Marcelo’s advice, access-cloud is now a package completely autonomous from FT10.
                        When I have the time, I want to make the main “add ons” that FT10 includes available as individual packages (included on the antiX repository). That way anyone can install them, without having to install FT10, and also maintaing a future version of FT10 will be much easier (I just have to add the packages I want, like this one, if it’s accepted in the antiX repository) as a dependency…

I created an individual new gitlab page for this script: http://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/antix-cloud-access/-/blob/main/README.md
                        It contains the latest version of the script, and several localizations.
                        It also contains a .deb file that anyone can download and install, for easier access to well, access-cloud :-)
                        Please note: I guess I messed up something when creating the .deb package (I’m not a “packager”)- the .deb file gets installed but also spits out a notification – it’s harmless and the package does get installed… If anyone knows how to fix it, please, do share the know-how…

.deb package download link:
                        http://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/antix-cloud-access/-/blob/main/antix-cloud-connect_1.0.0_all.deb
                        It’s not in the file’s name, but please consider this “a beta”.

Also: right now I have no access to the original localization files, only the compiled ones. If there’s interest in including a fixed version of this .deb package in the repository, I’ll add it and make it available, so folks can localize it into more languages…

Edit: This package is so small and can be so handy (since many people use Goggle Drive and OneDrive, dispite their privacy problems) that I would advise that the script (please note, not the package) should be included in yad-goodies. It’s a tiny script and only installs the required dependency (rclone), when run for the first time, and only if the user so authorizes, thus, including it out of the box would allow easy access to the most used cloud services in the world, if users require that feature, but take only a few dozens Kb of disk space (the script, the .desktop file and the localization files), until users require this. I like this approach – users have what they eventually need handy, without thaking up space or resources, and the dependencies are only installed if, and only if users require that particular feature.
                        I’m also aware that the more minimalist users would say including this would “bloat antiX”. But I think most users would just say- “Neat, I can access all the pictures my phone backed up to the cloud!” or “I can access my school home work!”
                        If not included in antiX out of the box, adding a well created .deb package of this script would be a nice addition to our repo (and I hope, even deserving of being listed in the curated apps, in Package Installer).

Edit: I’m still not really sure what the definitive name for this GUI should be- all you English speakers, please comment:
                        antix-cloud-access or antix-cloud-connect?

Edit2: It seems that the notification I get when I install the package happens every time I try to install an off-line package in antix-23 beta2…

Note: of all the scripts FT10 includes, I think the ones that would be of more use for most users would be this one, and the GUI script to access Networks Shares…

P.

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by PPC.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.