Access to host computer's HDD

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Access to host computer's HDD

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by seaken64 Feb 5-11:16 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Zee

I am running a new install of Antix from a usb stick. I have a few problems, the main one is that I cannot access the host computer’s HDD. It does not appear in Rox. In SpaceFM it appears under devices as sda1 but clicking on it gets the following error message:-

udevil: /dev/sda1 is known to mount – running mount as current user
    udevil: warning 45: options ignored for device in fstab (or specify mount point)
    mount: mount point /media/c797c899-9171-4f99-9a29-a874316b6cea does not exist

I have done a lot of googling & tried all sorts of things but to no avail. Last year I had Antix 16 for a short while on the same computer & I never had this problem. I would like to get into the HDD from Rox if possible & be able to use Antix as a rescue usb on other machines. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Zee

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Post your /etc/fstab

What is the drive formatted to?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

noClue
    noClue

I’ve never tried to rescue anything with antiX — there are better, specialized live OS’s for that purpose, but according to my past experiences, he’s probably trying to access Windoze formatted FAT, bigger then 32 GB, which means it’ll be exFAT. Many live ISO’s are missing exFAT drivers and the usual symptoms are, either HDD refuses to mount, or the live OS freezes.

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

Zee

Contents of /etc/fstab:

# Pluggable devices are handled by uDev, they are not in fstab
    UUID=9be452aa-9b33-4fbb-a374-02238b66c01f / ext4 defaults,noatime 1 1
    UUID=93e99e3a-c242-4d02-b2c5-2f3b4415b1e0 swap swap defauts 0 0 
    #-> /dev/sda5
    UUID=fd9b6c22-048e-497e-abbc-5d23d52b0a54  swap                                        swap       defaults                        0 0
    #-> /dev/sda1
    UUID=c797c899-9171-4f99-9a29-a874316b6cea  /media/c797c899-9171-4f99-9a29-a874316b6cea ext4       noauto,exec,users               0 0
    /dev/cdrom                                 /media/cdrom                                iso9660    noauto,exec,users,ro            0 0
    /dev/sr0                                   /media/sr0                                  auto       noauto,exec,users,ro     

The drive is ext4 (sda1 above). It has 150gb with a working version of Lubuntu on it.

Antix is a lot faster than Lubuntu on this 12 year old old computer. I hope I can get it as I want it. Also the portability of running from a usb stick is very appealing potentially useful.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Zee

Zee

I take the point about Antix not being the best software to rescue data.

Zee

noClue
    noClue

Permissions problem? Does anything at all appears under /media?
    Happens often when Linux tries to access Linux.

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

Zee

/media folder is empty.

Zee

skidoo

This problem scenario sounds familiar but I couldn’t find the (antiX 17 betatesting?) topic where it was discussed. Maybe avoidance of this problem is one of the reasons a separate, spaceFM-specific, toggle was added to the antiX automounter utility?

possibly related, from websearch:
    mount-point-does-not-exist-despite-creating-it

probably not related to the OP’s exact problem, but I’ll mention anyhow:
    On my system, automount is enforced OFF. During betatesting, under the default (automount=true) settings, I recall hitting a wall when trying to use live-usb-maker ~~ if spaceFM was running, it would immediately remount the target drive (causing live-usb-maker to complaint/abort)

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by skidoo.
    caprea
    caprea

/media folder is empty.

Really empty ?
    Because in your fstab at least these also have their mountpoint under media
    /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom iso9660 noauto,exec,users,ro 0 0
    /dev/sr0 /media/sr0 auto noauto,exec,users,ro

If you post the output of
    sudo blkid
    We could try to create a mountpoint

Hm, just looked on my new antix17.3 installation media-folder is empty.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by caprea.
    skidoo

a mount-related topic in MX Linux forum today led me to think of this:

If “spacefm automount” is enabled, and spaceFM:: Devices }} Settings }} Mount Options
    has not been configured to apply the users mount option…

which set of options will take precedence?
    (and, is the possibility of “xxxWM+space” choice of desktop session a variable to consider?)

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

That udevil: warning 45: error suggests that your hard drive is dying or dead.
    Can you still boot into Lubuntu?

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

caprea
    caprea

antiX17.3 installed to hard drive
    I got the same

udevil: /dev/sda1 ist erfahrungsgemäß einhängbar – Ausführung des Einhängebefehls als aktueller Nutzer
    udevil: Warnung 45: Optionen werden für dieses Gerät in fstab ignoriert (oder Einhängepunkt festlegen)
    mount: /media/rootantiX17.2: mount point does not exist.

My media-folder is empty

If creating a mountpoint
    sudo mkdir /media/rootantiX17.2

spacefm works without problems.

caprea
    caprea

Maybe talking nonsens

On a live-usb all the mountpoints are there under media

demo@antix1:~
    $ ls /media
    antiX-uefi rootantiX17.2 rootantiX17.3 rootantiX17.3-2 rootantiX17.3tes sr0

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

I’m not seeing this at all.

I booted latest 17.3.1 (live usb) and can see my installed antiX in rox-filer and spacefm under /media.
    Same with running same iso live in virtualbox; it sees my antiX-17.3 vbox install in both rox and spacefm.

O/P cannot see his/her Lubuntu partition, caprea are you saying running antiX live cannot see your installed antiX?

Added: OK, caprea beat me to the post 🙂

Added2: Zee, are you running antiX live off the usb device or installed? If the latter, then I suggest you run it live for your purposes.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by anticapitalista.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by anticapitalista.

Zee

Here’s sudo blkid:

sm@antix1:~
    $ sudo blkid
    /dev/sda1: UUID=”c797c899-9171-4f99-9a29-a874316b6cea” TYPE=”ext4″ PARTUUID=”b61740fd-01″
    /dev/sda5: UUID=”fd9b6c22-048e-497e-abbc-5d23d52b0a54″ TYPE=”swap” PARTUUID=”b61740fd-05″
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL=”rootantiX17.3″ UUID=”9be452aa-9b33-4fbb-a374-02238b66c01f” TYPE=”ext4″ PARTUUID=”ace23bc5-01″
    /dev/sdb2: LABEL=”swapantiX” UUID=”93e99e3a-c242-4d02-b2c5-2f3b4415b1e0″ TYPE=”swap” PARTUUID=”ace23bc5-02″

Host computer is fine. I can run it with installed Lubuntu with no problems. It’s HDD is visible.
    I’m running Antix off a usb stick.
    To my limited knowledge it seems that the OS has mounted the HDD but the FMs can’t see it?

Zee

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.