aCMSTS 0.37a available

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations aCMSTS 0.37a available

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated May 6-5:45 pm by PPC.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I’m glad to announce there is a new version of the “antiX Community Multilanguage Test Suite” available.

This script was designed in order to provide an easy and efficient way to test translations of programs or scrips and their correspondent menu entries in antiX. It is geared towards people not familiar with the command line, but able to contribute to improvement of existing and creation of new translations. Everything aCMSTS provides can be done by executing the respective commands in a terminal window also. Please be aware this version is an early stage of development still, but can be used already. The workflow is self-explanatory (I hope so at least…) and can get biased by use of command line options (not necessary for normal operation; “-h” will show available options).
    For the time being it is not possible to edit translations of programs utilising any other method than “.po”/“.mo” files. In one of the following versions it will be possible to access translation files of the types “.qm” and “.ftl” also.

aCMSTS is meant to test translations or improvements on the fly on your running antiX system before feeding them into transifex, since it turned out it is quite difficult to check the correct meaning as well as to figure out the best layout and typography for the translated textstrings. In many cases the length of strings or the position of line breaks are different in foreign languages, so you’ll need to play with some alternatives until everything is in its place.

It can be used for temporary fix or identification of malfunctioning or wrong translations in antiX. Please be aware the fixes you administer to the translations will not stay permanent until you don’t carry them over to transifex, since they will get overwritten on next system (or program) update probably. So please make sure to save your corrected “.po” and “.mo” files to a safe place.

The script was tested to be functional on antiX 17.4.1 and (thank you very much, @marcelocripe !) antiX 19.3.

The scipt is localised other then to English language also to German, French, Brasilian Portuguese and Russian language by now. You’ll find a template file (.pot) within the “ressources” subfolder of the directory you had used for extraction only after installation of aCMSTS by its installer script. So you may eaily create translations to any language using poedit, and upload the resulting .po and .mo files to this thread.

The aCMSTS script is capable of editing it’s own language files. Be careful not to confuse the windows of the two then running instances while starting it itself in the testing window (The windows are distinguishable by an additional number in the upper window frame always).

You don’t need to use the installer script necessarily, if you know how to extract the compressed “aCMSTS.tar” ressources archive and put all the files in place manually.

Over time there will come a detailed guidance, explaining the interplay of the language files involved as well as the interrelation of country specific and non country specific language files.

Note: Sometimes it can happen that the finalisation window will appear before the testing window was closed when editing program translations. This should not happen, but the behaviour is dependent on (a function of) the speed of your PC probably. On slow machines it can happen the Program-ID which is used as an indicator to determine when the test window was closed by the user is not provided timely by the system, which results in the script not waiting for closing the test window. I started with a delay of 1 second which was sufficient on my machines, but had to increase to 3 Seconds after Marcelo had tested it on his PC (he suggested a value from 3 to 5 seconds delay). If the delay is set to long, user may have to wait too long (or even start another instance of bash during this period, scrambling the normal course of script action), so I decided to prefere the lower value.
    If you encounter any proplems in this concern, you could try to modifiy line 895 (antiX 17.x) and/or line 910 (antiX 19.x) from “sleep 3” to “sleep 1” or “sleep 5” or any other reasonable values. Please let us know which value did serve you best.

For reference: Previous versions of the aCMSTS script may be found in this thread, along with the history of its origins.

sha256 checksum:
    648e199b5e7226cdeb983e5d7a4f2b220c0609d10021ad120af6fa48149b7425 aCMSTS-037a.tar.gz

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Robin.
    Attachments:
    XecureXecure

I will give it a spin when I have time. I liked the last version, but didn’t have much time to test it out, and then forgot about it.

Thanks for your work, Robin. This will help a lot with testing translations.

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Robin,

Thank you very much for all your work at aCMSTS.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Robin,

Muito obrigado por todo o seu trabalho no aCMSTS.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

@Robin
    This is an outstanding tool for translators! Thank you, very much! Don’t know if there were already any evolutions on the shortcomings you mentioned but, even as it is it’s a great help in giving the context for many strings on translation files.
    Don’t know if this script works only with poedit or if it could work with other editors. If it could work with other translation editors, one I’d like to use it with is virtaal http://www.virtaal.org/, since it can use more formats than just .po files.

Thank you very much for your encouraging words, Zeh. I’m glad the script is useful.

If it could work with other translation editors, one I’d like to use it with is virtaal http://www.virtaal.org/, since it can use more formats than just .po files.

I’ll check that as soon I can manage to get some spare time for this project again. Once the script supports other translation file types, there will be probably a way to use other editors also, as long as they accept input from command line and allow proper detection when they get closed, allowing to get integrated into the script. Alternatively I’ll add routines to the script allowing other file types to get automatically converted before and after editing, so poedit can handle them. This might be easier to achieve, but I’ll see.

Announcement
    For now the recent aCMSTS 0.37a version is present also on gitlab, you’ll find the installer package for download in subdirectory installer-packages. Translations for this script can now be added and edited on transifex (anitX-contribs).

@Robin- I read about aCMSTS but I only tried it out today- what a great idea!

I began translating it, on transifex- but this thought came to me- why translate (from English) something that people use to translate other stuff to English? After all, I don’t think this app needs to be translated, because of it’s very specific usage- sure i can localize it to pt-pt (I localized dozens of entries already) but, why does an user that wants to use it to localize an antiX app from English to pt have any real need to have aCMSTS itself localized?

P.

PS- to me, one the most relevant localization fails in antiX is something that pops up constantly- gksu’s main window – needed to enter the password and basically perform any change important to the system, using a GUI – ex: setting the system time, updating the system, etc… – is untranslated in pt-pt, but translated in pt-br (I only found that out thanks to Marcelo).
    So I just copied the pt-br language files to the pt folder and voilá– it works! But is refers to the system password as “senha” – and here in Portugal we usually refer to it as the untranslated term “password” or “palavra-passe” (a literal translation).
    So I used aCMSTS to take a peek at gksu files- to my astonishment- it features loads of references to our Portuguese expression… What the hell, Dev’s/Translation team??? 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 days, 6 hours ago by PPC.

why does an user that wants to use it to localize an antiX app from English to pt have any real need to have aCMSTS itself localized?

aCMSTS can be used by even monoglott native speakers of any language to provisionally fix problems found with translated strings of programs (like malfunctional translated strings we have seen unfixed for years, some time ago, preventing programs from functioning when running in the affected language). Or for testing better formatting of lines with line breaks, tabs or spaces. Moreover they can fix wording if they feel some strings to sound unnaturally, and let us know the result by e.g. posting the .po/.mo files they have created, right here in the forum in case they are not experienced in use of transifex themselves. For all these tasks they really don’t need to speak or understand English language. It is enough they are well trained in their native language and do understand from the given translation what could be improved. I have seen many translations which could get fixed by native speakers, and I’m sure they will try if once they only knew how, and it is not too difficult to achieve.

P.S.:

one the most relevant localization fails in antiX is something that pops up constantly- gksu’s main window …. So I used aCMSTS to take a peek at gksu files

Exactly this is what aCMSTS was written for.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 5 hours ago by Robin.

aCMSTS can be used by even monoglott native speakers of any language to provisionally fix problems found with translated strings of programs

Yep, point taken. I didn’t think of that particular case… I’ll try to continue with my translation as soon as I have time…

P.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.