aCSTV — update to new version 1.09 fit for antiX23

Forum Forums General Software aCSTV — update to new version 1.09 fit for antiX23

• This topic has 41 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated May 6-1:54 pm by RJP.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Robin

New version 1.09 out, works on antiX 17, 19, 21/22 as well as on antiX 23.

What is new?

* All issues described in the thread about previous 1.08 and 1.08a version are patched in the 1.09 Version, no need to apply these hotfixes any longer.

* Most recently updated localisations from Transifex included.

* New or improved features:
      (as per request by PPC) –Rahmen or -r command line option (translation to –border still missing, sorry) allows to run the script in legacy design mode, showing decorated window borders for users preferring this design. (The functionality for handling windows is identical to the default modern borderless aCSTV look, in which you can also easily move, resize or close all the aCSTV windows by using either right click or by the respective default keyboard shortcuts present in antiX, e.g. „Alt-F7” (then move mouse), „Alt-F8 →” (then move mouse), „Alt-F8 ←” (then move mouse), „Alt-F8 ↑” (then move mouse), „Alt-F8 ↓” (then move mouse), „Alt-F9”, „Alt-F11”, „Alt-F4” etc.) without having the buttons in upper window border present in all windows.

Scene Photo functionallity was improved, so the preview window will show the shot taken not hidden behind the running tv-screen any longer, but in a suitably downsized window right of it (or in full screen mode above it). To see the shot preview in true size, right click in it and select „file → reset.” When using the „s” shortcut key instead of the „Scene Photo” button from „remote control” (aCSTV main-)window, no feh preview window will be displayed.

* Fixed the issue with not always properly displayed symbol on button for stations list switching (Many thanks Marcelo for testing!)

Direct download installer package: aCSTV-1.09.deb
      Direct download checksum file: aCSTV-1.09.deb.sha256.sum

Install instructions: (Check for any errors in output to make sure the program was installed properly.)

shasum -c './aCSTV-1.09.deb.sha256.sum'
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install './aCSTV-1.09.deb'

Have fun with it.

Please, as usual, report any issues here.
      @Translators: The editable files of user manual are now available in all languages on gitlab for convenience.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

oops

Tkx for the new version.

PPC

@Robin – many thanks for your hard work!

Note: running the application with the -r works great, but I do get this error on the Terminal:
          “nice: impossível alterar nível de prioridade: Permission denied”
          (the portuguese text in the middle says “impossible to change priority level”).

P.

Robin

nice: impossível alterar nível de prioridade: Permission denied

Don’t bother about this. It’s merely an informational message caused by a command when the script tries to set a higher nice level for the video application in order to achieve and guarantee a distortion free playback on weak machines. It fails, since on antiX you need root privileges to nice up a process (whereas you can nice it down as default user). But it’s not an issue, the video application works on the systems default nicelevel then, which turned out meanwhile to be fine even on 32 bit CPUs.

Many thanks for reporting anyway.

Robin

Hotfix:

While working on the script for antiX workspaces names GUI management it turned out the lines used also in aCSTV for calculation of desktop size and for window positioning are confounded by named workspaces (not present by default in antiX) in case one or more of these names contain an asterisk (*). Here’s the hotfix. You only need to apply it in case you do make use of named workspaces and one of the names you have set contains an asterisk. Otherwise you don’t need this hotfix. Anyway, it will be included in next packaged update of aCSTV.

Open /usr/local/bin/aCSTV.sh in geany with root permissions, scroll down to line 1232.

Modify Line 1232/1233 from

1232   export dx=$(wmctrl -d | grep "*" | cut -d" " -f5 | cut -dx -f1)
              1232   export dy=$(wmctrl -d | grep "*" | cut -d" " -f5 | cut -dx -f2)

to

1232   export dx=$(wmctrl -d | tr -s " " | cut -d" " -f-4 | grep -F "*" | cut -d" " -f4 | cut -dx -f1)
              1233   export dy=$(wmctrl -d | tr -s " " | cut -d" " -f-4 | grep -F "*" | cut -d" " -f4 | cut -dx -f2)

(see screenshot)
              Hotfix 1

Save the file back to disk and close geany.
              Start or restart aCSTV.

This will fix the issue with wrongly positioned aCSTV windows when you make use of named workspaces and these contain an asterisk in the name.

@Brian: since I know you use named workspaces, please could you 1.) confirm whether this issue exists and 2.) whether applying the this hotfix solves the issue for you?

RJP

Some reason when quitting aCSTV, desktop crashes and drops to login screen.

Robin

Hello RJP, thanks for reporting.

Never have seen this all the years on any antix from 17.4.1 (on which aCSTV was originally written) up to 23. Can you reproduce it? Are there any traces what causes it? Makes it a difference if you call it in another way, e.g. from a console window like roxterm instead of from its menu entry? How exactly did you quit it (e.g. the „leave” button, or the „b” key, or the „close” entry from its system tray context menu)? Does it make a difference when using another closing method?

Might it be possible you ran out of memory or temp space in /dev/shm ?

If the behaviour is reproducable for you, please try removing the „kill 0” line from the cleanup function (line 191) and see whether it still happens.

As said, I haven’t seen this all the years, so I’d need some input how to reproduce this issue, otherwise I can’t try fixing it.

RJP

I put kill /usr/local/bin/aCSTV.sh to line 191, and now aCSTV is working properly. 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by RJP.
                    Robin

Well, the kill 0 command is there for a reason. Your replacement won’t make sure to close all the processes living within the same process group which was generated by bash when starting aCSTV. You may see some child processes (e.g. mpv or some of the numerous aCSTV sub-scripts) etc. not being closed properly without this command on forced exit (e.g. an opened config window or whatever).

Please, use htop or ps command to check for orphaned aCSTV subprocesses still running after closing it with your modified line 191. I bet you’ll see some under some conditions without kill 0.

By any chance, do you use a custom shell other than the default from antiX ISOs ? This might cause the trouble, since different shells treat the kill 0 command differently. In any case, it should never kill your desktop environment. So the most interesting question is: What did you change on your system to make the proper process grouping fail? Obviously your system puts the aCSTV process not to a separate process group when started…

So, could you try to run it in the default antiX bash environment ? Is your issue reproducable then still?

——————–
                      P.S.:

I put kill /usr/local/bin/aCSTV.sh to line 191

Killing the script itself as your replacement does, doesn’t make much sense within a trap executed on exiting exactly this very script…

Robin

@RJP Please check on your system the output of the command:

$ ps -axj | grep /dev/shm

while running aCSTV. Look for the main aCSTV dialog process (something like „gtkdialog -f /dev/shm/aCSTV-195866501.tmp -G +1167+599”) and copy its process group ID (e.g. „2972980”). Should be the fourth column if I’m not mistaken.

Then run the command again, this time grepping for the very process group ID

$ ps -axj | grep <process group ID>

e.g.:
                        $ ps -axj | grep 2972980

This last command will show you all processes your system has put in the very process group along with aCSTV. There should be present some yad window, some gtkdialog window, some mpv instance, some sh invocations and possibly some pdf viewer, depending on the current processing state of aCSTV.

But definitively there shouldn’t be displayed any processes not belonging to aCSTV. If you find anything listed not belonging to the currently running aCSTV, like your login shell or your window manager, this means something is broken with the process grouping on your machine. (don’t care for the grep process filtering the ps output, which is additionally listed, but has actually another pgid)

The kill 0 command will close reliable all processes within the very process group aCSTV is living in.

So it is essential to have the process grouping working properly when using aCSTV, which is fine in antiX by default.

RJP

The results:

$  ps -axj | grep /dev/shm
                          11648 11680 11679 11648 pts/0    11679 S+    1000   0:00 grep /dev/shm
                          $ ps -axj | grep /dev/shm
                          11969 12022 10838 10838 ?           -1 S     1000   0:00 /bin/bash /usr/local/bin/mpv --geometry=25:25 --autofit=50%x50% --no-border --input-ipc-server=/dev/shm/aCSTV-mpv-socket-1196900 --idle=yes --screen=0 --fs-screen=0 --ontop --ytdl-raw-options=abort-on-error= --ytdl-format=best[tbr<=2999]/bestvideo[tbr<=2999]+bestaudio --hls-bitrate=2999000
                          12022 12027 10838 10838 ?           -1 SLl   1000   0:00 /usr/bin/mpv --geometry=25:25 --autofit=50%x50% --no-border --input-ipc-server=/dev/shm/aCSTV-mpv-socket-1196900 --idle=yes --screen=0 --fs-screen=0 --ontop --ytdl-raw-options=abort-on-error= --ytdl-format=best[tbr<=2999]/bestvideo[tbr<=2999]+bestaudio --hls-bitrate=2999000
                          11969 12351 10838 10838 ?           -1 S     1000   0:00 gtkdialog -f /dev/shm/aCSTV-1196901.tmp -G +778+399
                          11648 12474 12473 11648 pts/0    12473 S+    1000   0:00 grep /dev/shm
                          $ ps -axj | grep 11648
                          11642 11648 11648 11648 pts/0    15064 Ss    1000   0:00 /bin/bash
                          11648 15064 15064 11648 pts/0    15064 R+    1000   0:00 ps -axj
                          11648 15065 15064 11648 pts/0    15064 S+    1000   0:00 grep 11648
                          olsztyn

Hello RJP, thanks for reporting.
                            RJP wrote:
                            Never have seen this all the years on any antix from 17.4.1 (on which aCSTV was originally written) up to 23. Can you reproduce it?

Just to report, I am experiencing exactly the same behavior of aCSTV. I will not not be able to do further testing for a few days however due to my travel to Europe this afternoon.
                            Just want to add that aCSTV is a great application. The default listing is way too large to fit on the screen and seems to resist any attempt to reposition to see other stations but can be configured to select only a few to resolve this.
                            Thanks and regards.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                            http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

RJP

Program crashes in 23 beta too, but the fix is to uncomment, # kill 0” (line 191).

Robin

11969 12351 10838 10838 ? -1 S 1000 0:00 gtkdialog -f /dev/shm/aCSTV-1196901.tmp -G +778+399

grep 11648

The process group ID 11648 from your first output points to the grep command merely, it was the wrong one you’ve copied.

Please recheck with the proper group ID this time, the one aCSTV actually lives in. Maybe best when playing a TV station, or when the settings window or the edit stations list window, or even the help window is opened. it should show always different processes, but all within the very same process group the main process is running in.

Then we’ll hopefully see whether there is a process present within this group on your machine which shouldn’t live in there.

I am experiencing exactly the same behavior of aCSTV

Program crashes in 23 beta too

Are these virgin installs or live sessions from virgin antiX ISOs created USBs, or did you any modifications to the system? I ask this, since I simply can’t reproduce this crashing you describe neither on 32bit nor on 64 bit, and on none of the antiX versions on which I have tested it. Need to know how to reproduce this for further investigation on how to circumvent it without having orphaned processes running in background forever on sudden unexpected exit aCSTV without this kill 0 command present in its trapped cleanup routine.

olsztyn

Are these virgin installs or live sessions from virgin antiX ISOs created USBs, or did you any modifications to the system?

My case is antiX 23 Beta Live. Either started from USB or antiX Live installed as Live on internal SSD drive. Neither is virgin antiX as it came originally but rather it is fully updated antiX 23, except crony module.
                                  I am typing this in Copenhagen Kastrup airport waiting for next flight.
                                  It is possible that this issue is for Live and Frugal only but I am not able to test by installing antiX for the time being…
                                  Thanks and Regards @Robin. aCSTV is really good IMO…

Update:
                                  While I am sitting at the Copenhagen airport I was able to test some TV stations, generating PL and DE stations for this…
                                  My subsequent observations:
                                  – PL list is missing the major and most popular national stations such as TVP1 and TVP2… It is not even 9AM local time so perhaps those are still sleeping… However those on the list did not result in this crash problem after exit.
                                  – Generation DE list was taking too long so I aborted, expecting a partial list to show for test. No such luck. aCSTV just itself aborted. Restarting aCSTV from menu resulted in crash. So no clear clue from my testing why sometimes it is working fine and sometimes it crashes.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                                  http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.