aCSTV — update to new version 1.09 fit for antiX23

Forum Forums General Software aCSTV — update to new version 1.09 fit for antiX23

• This topic has 41 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated May 6-1:54 pm by RJP.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    marcelocripe

– PL list is missing the major and most popular national stations such as TVP1 and TVP2… It is not even 9AM local time so perhaps those are still sleeping… However those on the list did not result in this crash problem after exit.

I’m not the developer of the aCSTV program, but I can safely say that it’s impossible for Robin to guess which television stations are popular in which country.

– Generation DE list was taking too long so I aborted, expecting a partial list to show for test. No such luck. aCSTV just itself aborted. Restarting aCSTV from menu resulted in crash. So no clear clue from my testing why sometimes it is working fine and sometimes it crashes.

It may be faster to manually edit the channel list so you can only include the TV stations you want.

– – – – –

– PL list is missing the major and most popular national stations such as TVP1 and TVP2… It is not even 9AM local time so perhaps those are still sleeping… However those on the list did not result in this crash problem after exit.

Eu não sou o desenvolvedor do programa aCSTV, mas posso dizer com segurança que é impossível para o Robin adivinhar quais são as emissoras de televisão que são populares em cada país.

– Generation DE list was taking too long so I aborted, expecting a partial list to show for test. No such luck. aCSTV just itself aborted. Restarting aCSTV from menu resulted in crash. So no clear clue from my testing why sometimes it is working fine and sometimes it crashes.

Talvez seja mais rápido editar manualmente a lista de canais, assim você poderá incluir apenas as emissoras de televisão que você quer.

Robin

It is possible that this issue is for Live and Frugal only

This precisely is the miracle I don’t understand by now: I’m running live and frugal, and have never seen this issue, and wasn’t even able to purposefully force it to crash the desktop back to login screen on no antiX version by now.

Quoted from IBM:

»kill 0
        This sends signal 9, the SIGKILL signal, to all processes that have a process group ID equal to the senders process group ID. Because the shell cannot ignore the SIGKILL signal, this command also stops the login shell and logs you off.«

The significant part of this is: „…to the senders process group”.
        Since you are logged off obviously on closing aCSTV, the question is: Why does your system put aCSTV in the very process group together with your login shell, while the system should create its separate private process group when starting aCSTV, so your login shell wouldn’t be affected at all by the kill 0 command sent by the leader of the the process group of aCSTV to this very group?

Generation DE list was taking too long

For the DE list there exists a simple trick:
        Just remove or rename the ~/.config/aCSTV folder before starting aCSTV. Then it will create the German example listing on its own, containing all recent stations. Some of them might only receivable from within the country due to stupid geoblocking.

PL list is missing the major and most popular national stations such as TVP1 and TVP2

Marcelo is perfectly right. People form Poland would need to add all the TV station’s streams they can receive from within their country only manually to the list and upload the updated list either to gitlab or to antiX forum, so it can be included into the package, just like the aCSTV manual reads. It is simply impossible to know from outside of a country which streams the people within the country can receive, and how to look them up. This is due to the stupid geoblocking all the local stations observe, there isn’t anything aCSTV can do about.
        This goes for all the other countries as well.

The automatic list import does rely on the iptv.org stations lists, maintained by volunteer, so only stations present in their listings will be found automatically in aCSTV when updating a list.

Until now no manually updated stations listing (besides Brazilian, many thanks Marcelo!) was posted or uploaded at antiX-forum or at gitlab.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Brian Masinick

I could be wrong, but if a certain process kill is terminating too many processes because of the process group they reside in, that suggests that changing slightly what accounts are listed in the group may result in a different behavior.

Sometimes I put my own ID in too many groups; removing it from a group that would have it’s processes closed in that scenario would make a difference.

However I may be incorrect if I misunderstood the previous comment, but in any case, group membership at least *may* be a resource that can be reviewed.

--
          Brian Masinick

Robin

Many thanks, Brian, but you completely misread it.

my own ID in too many groups

It’s not about about the system’s user groups here, you are member of. It’s about the system’s process groups, as I stated some postings above:

living within the same process group which was generated by bash when starting aCSTV.

Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_group what all this means.

For some reason on RJP’s and olsztyn’s system the process group for aCSTV wasn’t properly created when starting it, so it closed down something on exit what should never be included within its process group: The login shell. We’ll have to analyse what causes their antiX systems to react differently than mine.

Did you happen to see this unexpected log off issue also, by any chance?

RJP

I could be wrong, but if a certain process kill is terminating too many processes because of the process group they reside in, that suggests that changing slightly what accounts are listed in the group may result in a different behavior.

Sometimes I put my own ID in too many groups; removing it from a group that would have it’s processes closed in that scenario would make a difference.

However I may be incorrect if I misunderstood the previous comment, but in any case, group membership at least *may* be a resource that can be reviewed.

That could be a good explanation, because aCSTV crashes all in my computers, was there antiX 19, 21, 22 or 23.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by RJP.
              Robin

That could be a good explanation

I don’t think so. The user groups of a system don’t have anything in common with the process groups. Does anybody read the hints and links I gave?

The process group ID 11648 from your first output points to the grep command merely, it was the wrong one you’ve copied.

Please recheck with the proper group ID this time,

Please, @RJP, could you answer this? It would probably bring us forth a bit, knowing which processes are in the very process group of aCSTV on your system, (and not in the process group only grep lives in…)

aCSTV crashes all in my computers, was there antiX 19, 21, 22 or 23.

Do you have a specific way of setting up all your systems? E.g. removing some system relevant things present by default in the antiX ISOs? C’mon, it’s crazy I can’t reproduce it on none of these you are listing, using any default antiX live USB, neither on 32 nor on 64 bit of the very antiX series, and additionally not even on antiX 17. Not on sysvinit nor on runit. So I don’t understand why you see something different.

Anybody else around who ever encountered the logoff from desktop session issue when closing aCSTV ? We’d need some data to locate the specific triggers and the prerequisites to let it happen (or better said: to find the proper means to avoid it). As said, I have never seen it and wasn’t able to reproduce it by now. So any help in investigating is highly appreciated.

Brian Masinick

Thanks for highlighting (and repeating) the key points regarding “process groups”. Though they’ve been around for some time, this is a specific aspect of process management that I had not previously known about (or I didn’t “remember” it, take your pick).

User ID groups and process groups are, without question, completely different things!

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Brian Masinick.

--
                  Brian Masinick

caprea

Anybody else around who ever encountered the logoff from desktop session issue when closing aCSTV ?

Yes, I saw the same behaviour when closing aCSTV after opening it from “app select”.
                    Unfortunately I can’t repeat it anymore.
                    The only reason I could think of why this is gone are the changes I made after some problems with app-select.
                    Here’s the thread.
                    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/app-select-3/#post-103330

Robin

Many thanks, @Caprea ! I just have tried to follow your path, calling it from within app-select. But I couldn’t force it into the logoff issue this way either. I’ve retried on antiX 23, 22, and 17.5, using different starting methods this time: from „roxterm” console window, from within „lxterm” console window, by using „app-select” as you suggested, by „run” entry from antiX menu, by its own „aCSTV” menu entry in antiX applications multimedia submenu. And also I tried to shut it down by any method you can imagine, including pressing Ctrl-C on the console it was started from. So still no success to reproduce this issue so far.

I said you can run it still on antiX 17.5, if you need to for hardware reasons. I should append how to do it, since you’ll need to observe a special way of installation on antiX 17: Some of its dependencies are not present in stretch. There is a workaround. Simply use the bullseye packages manually downloaded as a replacement, it won’t cause any trouble:

Special Installation instructions for antiX 17.5

1.) Download the appropriate version for your architecture of the following buster packages from packages.debian.org:
                      – aCSTV version 1.09 (see https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/acstv-update-to-new-version-1-09-fit-for-antix23/#post-99890 )
                      – freefonts: http://packages.debian.org/buster/fonts-freefont-ttf
                      – buffer: http://packages.debian.org/buster/buffer
                      – socat: http://packages.debian.org/buster/socat

Don’t forget to check your downloaded files against the checksums provided by debian on the download sites (shasum …).

(You don’t need yt-dlp, since youtube-dl is present on antiX 17.5 already, but if you like, you can try to replace it for enhanced compatibility with recent streaming services. I just ignored it in the following)

2.) Install on console (e.g. lxterm console window, make sure to replace the package names according to your downloaded files)

$ sudo apt-get update
                      $ sudo apt-get install netcat-traditional
                      $ sudo dpkg --ignore-depends=yt-dlp -i ./aCSTV-1.09.deb ./buffer_1.19-12+b1_i386.deb ./socat_1.7.3.2-2_i386.deb ./fonts-freefont-ttf_20120503-9_all.deb

3.) Then don’t forget to run refresh menu from the antiX main menu, since contrary to apt the dpkg install method wouldn’t call desktop-menu for you. (You’ll need dpkg here since apt will return a weird error when you try to use the –nodeps install option.)

After this you can start most recent aCSTV even on antiX 17.5, it works perfectly fine on 32 bit and 64 bit both.
                      Thanks to the use of optimised video playback tools and methods for stream selection it provides distortion free streaming TV playback on a 20 years old 32bit single core CPU.

—————-
                      P.S.:
                      Additional hint: If you run into issues with debian or antix mirrors for antiX 17/stretch not available for apt to update or install, please see how to deal with this at this thread: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/most-of-the-17-5-repos-are-broken/#post-105631 and consider to use Freexian extended LTS and security updates as recommended by Xunzi_23 in the linked thread.

Robin

Finally the riddle about unintentional session logoff when closing aCSTV is solved. It’s a roxfiler issue.

Only when starting the script file directly from within roxfiler (which I never did by now), the current antiX desktop session will actually be restarted completely when closing aCSTV. This is due to a bug in the way roxfiler starts executables and scripts, without allocating a separate pgid to each program executed from within its gui. So all programs run in a single program group, along with the login shell. A really bad idea. Needs urgently to be fixed in roxfiler.

Please use either its own menu entry in antiX menu to start aCSTV, or a roxterm/lxterminal console window, or the run entry from antiX menu. I’ve checked this on multiple antiX versions now, and on rox-icewm, rox-jwm, rox-fluxbox, space-icewm, space-jwm, space-fluxbox, icewm, jwm and fluxbox desktops. aCSTV is not crashing at all. So avoid using roxfiler for starting the executable script file directly! Roxfiler simply doesn’t care for assigning the program groups properly.

A similar issue have SpaceFM/zzzFM and app-select, but not closing the desktop session: These programs will be closed, since they run all executables within the very program group they run themselves in, also not assigning proper pgids to the programs they start. So they will be closed when a program cleans up properly it’s pgid group on leaving. The file handlers for executables and scripts in SpaceFM/zzzFM and app-select should be fixed also, to avoid this. aCSTV is not the single program using the most reliable kill 0 cleanup method on exit.

@RJP and @olsztyn : Please, could you confirm you have used roxfiler to start aCSTV when you encountered the logoff from current desktop session issue? You should have mentioned this before, I had asked precisely this in my very first reply to your report:

Makes it a difference if you call it in another way, e.g. from a console window like roxterm instead of from its menu entry?

Why do I have to do hours of researching to find this out on my own, while you could have simply answered the questions posed properly?

Many thanks again, @caprea, with your comment you have put me on the proper trail finally for scenting out the true reason causing the issue.

Brian Masinick

@Robin I’m sorry that you ended up having to do hours of research.

The one helpful thing that came out of this was the very clear explanation you provided once you tried this from roxfiler.
                          While I understand that you were accurate and clear in your original statement and explanation, the extra time spent here
                          and the ultimate ending and emphasis on what REALLY causes this issue ought to provide additional clarity to at least a few
                          people.

I wasn’t following this particular thread closely but I did happen to read how this all worked out, and in spite of the
                          extra time and effort, your extremely clear explanation did bring out a few things to me, so I’d say the work has not
                          been in vein. Nevertheless, sincere thanks for the many explanations you provide nearly every day about a wide variety
                          of issues and topics. Your work, your comments, and your expertise are highly valued and deeply appreciated!

--
                          Brian Masinick

RJP

I use rox-icewm, so it could be a culprit with aCSTV function. I lauch aCSTV via desktop launcher, which is a link in rox-filer.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by RJP.
                            marcelocripe

Why do I have to do hours of researching to find this out on my own, while you could have simply answered the questions posed properly?

Robin, when some people here on the forum don’t make the effort to be clear enough, or don’t make the effort to convey all the details that are necessary for you to try to identify or simulate the same situation, or even, when you’re too lazy to type, the best is not wasting hours and days of your precious time trying to guess what the person didn’t want to tell here on the forum.

The omission of information in test results or when a problem is identified does not deserve to be treated with all your care and attention that you always dedicate to all the people here on the forum.

– – – – –

Robin, quando algumas pessoas daqui do fórum não se esforçam para serem claras o suficiente, ou não se esforçam para transmitirem todos os detalhes que são necessários para você tentar identificar ou simular a mesma situação, ou ainda, quando tem preguiça de digitar, o melhor é você não perder horas e dias do seu precioso tempo tentando advinhar o que a pessoa não quis contar aqui no fórum.

A omissão de informações nos resultados de testes ou quando se identifica um problema não merece ser tratado com todo o seu zelo e atenção que você sempre dedica a todas as pessoas daqui do fórum.

RJP

aCSTV crashes only then when it is launched via desktop launcher (icon). I just tested.

Robin

which is a link in rox-filer.

OK, this is the same as starting directly the executable file from within roxfiler. And as shown above, this bug in roxfiler explains why your desktop crashes. Roxfiler simply puts all programs in a single process group along with your login shell, which never should happen.

As a workaround until roxfiler and the other misbehaving launch programs are fixed I’ll harden aCSTV, so it will create its own process group on startup. This will prevent also the other programs being unintended to be closed by aCSTV when a launcher neglects to create the process groups properly on starting programs.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.