(solved) Adjusting laptop brightness in steps using "backlight-brightness"

Forum Forums General Software (solved) Adjusting laptop brightness in steps using "backlight-brightness"

• This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Nov 15-9:23 pm by Koesherbacon.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    KoesherbaconKoesherbacon

Hi antiX devs and users. I have ** about the “backlight-brightness” script/package/app or whatever term could be described describes its function. (By the way, I’m posting this from my phone so I appoigize if some of my formatting or spelling isn’t the best)

Now, I’m completely aware that simply typing “backlight-brightness” into terminal brings up its ascii-gui brightness slider. That’s a great tool, but doesn’t work all that well since I want to be able to bind the raising and lowering of the brightness to keyboard shortcuts. I know it would be easy to bind the command which brings up the slider to a keyboard shortcut, but I’d much rather use a few successive keystrokes to adjust the brightness instead if launching a terminal window whenever I’d like to adjust my laptop’s backlight.

I have already tried using all the typical methods to adjust the brightness of the screen, but nothing seems to work with AntiX except for “backlight-brightness” . This includes xbacklight, brightnessctl, acpilight, relight, (basically everything from the Arch Linux Wiki entry on backlight adjusters) and my personal favorite Lumeus (https://github.com/siiptuo/Lumeus).

I’ve read and reread the code within… “/bin/backlight-brightness” and I can see how to get some limited use from cli entries, but those are focused on showing the current level and setting specific levels.

As far as I can tell, the cli interface dies not have an option, which when written in English says, “Raise/Lower the current brightness by 5%”. Instead the only command it seems to be able to do is, “Set the brightness to 32%”. Does that make sense?

Since my laptop brightness keys don’t function, I’d like to create two alternative shortcut and bind them to F2 and F3. I’ve done this a number of times. Right now I have F2 set as “lumeus – 5%” and F3 “lumeus +5%” 8n my current XFCE4 desktop. Even though the brightness keys work just fine with my current distro’s xfce, I wanted to utilize more precise adjustments with 20-clicks from 0-100% at a rate of 5% per click instead of the standard 10-clicks from 0-100% AR a rare of 10% per click.

So with all that in mind, does anyone know how I can set up antiX to do something similar with backlight-brightness as opposed to lumeus?

I hope I have been able to adequately put to words what I’m asking about. If you’d like some clarification, please let me know and I’ll try to explain what I’m asking diffently to help you understand my question. Thank you very much!

• This topic was modified 2 years ago by skidoo. Reason: for the benefit of future searhces, revise topic title to include "solved"

⁓ Ev

At a terminal prompt, try issuing the command backlight-brightness
    antiX “backlight-brightness” script
    This enables you make adjustments in smaller increments, yes?

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

Setting the brightness to a specific level via the command line was added in response to a request from a user. I’ve added the feature you requested. It is not precise. It if you give it +10 then it may not increase the brightness by exactly 10%. Oh well.

You can get the new version from my github repo: https://github.com/BitJam/console-grid-gui/tree/master/bin

I tried attaching it as a .tgz and as a .tar.gz and even a .gz tarball but it was rejected “for security reasons”. I thought we had this working before. *sigh*

Oh I think the others are working but I keep getting an error message for the original .tgz version and I see no way to get rid of it.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by BitJam.
    • This reply was modified 2 years ago by BitJam.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

KoesherbaconKoesherbacon

That’s so awesome of you to do write that change in for me! One teensy problem, the link to the github project is a 404.

I’ll try DLing the attachment you provided, but first I’d like to confirm it’s use. DL it, extract and copy to /usr/local/bin?

Thanks a lot!

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Koesherbacon.

⁓ Ev

KoesherbaconKoesherbacon

I ended up finding your github repo myself and can see the file were talking about.

Should I simply copy/paste the contents of…

https://github.com/BitJam/console-grid-gui/blob/master/bin/backlight-brightness

… into the original file in the OS?

Thanks again!

⁓ Ev

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

I fixed the link to my repo. I suggest you try running the new version from your home directory and make sure it works like you want before over-writing the existing version. The existing version is in /usr/local/bin/. You need to over-write it there because /usr/local/bin/ is the first entry in the PATH. Even if you put it somewhere else, the version in /usr/local/bin/ will get run unless you specify the path. I hope that’s not too confusing.

PLMK if this works for you.

You made a good suggestion that was easy to implement.

KoesherbaconKoesherbacon

It seems to work perfectly on the LiveUSB.

When it’s used on an installed antiX distro, will I have to redo the copy/paste each time a system update is installed?

⁓ Ev

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

I’m glad it worked! I don’t understand your question. What copy/paste do you mean? We plan to update the package this program is in. I wanted to get feedback from you making sure it worked before doing that. Soon (a week or so?) everyone will get this latest version when they update their system. This is an example of “Lean and mean”.

If you want to make this change permanent on your live-usb you can do a live-remaster or you can use root persistence, OR as root you can create the directory /live/boot-dev/antiX/xtra/usr/local/bin/ and put the new version in there.

KoesherbaconKoesherbacon

I honestly have no idea what I was talking about with copy/paste. I’ve also gone ahead and tested backlight-brightness, backlight-brightness -5%, and backlight-brightness +5% on several other liveUSBs and as far as I can tell, it works perfectly fine on Arch, Manjaro, Xubuntu, VoyagerLive, SolydXK and RedCore.

This is a really great little app! You should be proud to have made something so simple yet so great at the same time. Thanks so much 🙂

⁓ Ev

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.