adobe-flashplugin

Forum Forums General Software adobe-flashplugin

Is it still possible to enjoy flash player games at 2023 while others gave up since 2020?¿

When others ate their nails till fingers, blew up their minds and have raccoons in their yard, I have still playing games since then with no issues, gg.

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 There's no point to help you
  • #2 You might have a mental illness
  • This topic has 11 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Mar 29-6:33 am by Robin.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Some1

Hi there, before throw me hate about this, I’m pleased this package it’s still available through apt search, I’m still big fan antiX Linux, mainly, due it.

The thing is, when I type ldd libflashplayer.so, I get nothing in 17.1 and 17.3 antiX Linux, but in 22 (lastest version) its another story, it list me lots of .so libraries that I don’t know how to install all of them to make flash player run, I downloaded an old Firefox version to make it work, it loads the plugin and it fails.

Since I’m not aware how incompatibility its the flash player with what I’ve available in version 22, what packages should I install, etc., I came back to this forum, I wanna play some flash games without installing game clients, beta plugins, virtual machines, etc., this old computer runs it smoothly, I want some1 joins me but that person use a brand new machine, uefi stuff and get blank screen trying to run 17.3 ver. and below so, 17.5 seems to work, so I wonder if lastest version and some packages installations could make the magic.

Thanks for reading, if I’m unable to be helped about this, at least rate my post from 1 to 5 stars. Kind regards.

This is a signature.

Robin

You could give ruffle a try, that’s a flash player emulator.
        http://github.com/ruffle-rs/ruffle
        http://ruffle.rs/
        Good luck!

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Some1

You could give ruffle a try, that’s a flash player emulator.
          http://github.com/ruffle-rs/ruffle
          http://ruffle.rs/
          Good luck!

Tried already last year and it seems and doesn’t work with “complex” games, requires some extra stuff it hasn’t been developed in ruffle yet, and it didn’t change since then; I still use and play flash in 17.antiX series smoothly, I just did want to move to a recent antiX version bringing with me that obsolete technology. I had been busy lately but I might attempt to give it a try sooner or later someday (Until that website ends that flash game).

Any other idea is welcome, since I keep trying yet.

This is a signature.

Robin
            $ apt-cache policy adobe-flashplugin
            adobe-flashplugin:
              Installed: (none)
              Candidate: 1:20201013.1-1mx19+1

The “mx” within the version identifier makes clear this adobe thing is provided by MX linux, not by antiX.

You should accept that adobe flash is dead. Flash was a bone of contention from the beginning, plastered with security holes, which didn’t change during it’s complete lifetime. And now adobe doesn’t care how users could access their content. When reading the page adobe provides as EOL message you can read what you can NOT do anymore, but not a single word how to access your content now, so they conceal the most important question users have. That’s adobe.

Adobe-flash-EOL

So, go and ask adobe how to access your content now. It’s their responsibility. antiX can’t do anything about this situation.

In consequence you should have learned: Never trust a proprietary format. Simply refuse it to use from the beginning, then you won’t have to suffer from katzenjammer in the end. It’s actually that simple.

So if you urgently need to run this crappy format for some reason still, please check out this thread:
            http://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=65276
            Seems there to be a user who has managed to run the flash package on a newer OS version, at least mx 19. So maybe somebody over there knows how to help you besides of recommending the use of an emulator.

Btw:

it list me lots of .so libraries that I don’t know how to install all of them

Try:
            ldd -r /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
            Unless there is not something listed as “not found” the libraries are installed properly on your system. Must be something else what keeps the modern browsers from using it.

17.5 seems to work … I have still playing games since then with no issues

Then stick to it. antiX 17.5 was updated merely a year ago. Make a remastered USB stick from it containing everything you need to play, then you can run your PC everyday on most recent antiX 22, and when feeling like playing old flash stuff, boot it from the antiX 17 USB stick.

Some1

That’s exactly what I mean, I’ve no issues playing the game, I boot it in an old computer but a partner wanna join me to play same game, its computer isn’t old enough to run 17.3 antiX or below (dunno why), but 17.5 and up it does, but flash player was removed since then (u already posted why).

The website has its own Windows client, there’s no appimage to run that game in Linux, if you’re Windows 11 user, u might b dealing with “S mode”, u can just skip it booting Linux distros. That why you can keep ur “Stupid mode”, I mean, “Secure mode” and play the game. I’m fine with Linux, I play the flash game and deal with documents in libreoffice (still if the menu show on squares).

And that’s the main story, my partner boot the antiX 17.3, hit the menu and then blank screen, “nothing happens”, 17.5 works but it has flash player removed, only 0.2 difference and it doesn’t boot under same iso burner and configuration. Now I’m going back to sacrifice my cybersecurity playing that game till they completely remove it just as other websites did.

This is a signature.

Robin

I wanna play some flash games without installing game clients, beta plugins, virtual machines

Even when you have said this, I believe your partner has only a last chance to run it on his most recent hardware: try running 17.3 within virtualbox on top of a most recent OS (this can be done on top of antiX 22 as well as on a windows host or on any other OS Virtualbox provides installer packages for.) Virtualbox can easily install another antiX as guest then from ISO directly, and it emulates and abstracts hardware, so I’m pretty sure 17.3 should run this way. So he probably can play your flash game. Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbzF60ew8b8 to get an idea how it works.

Some1

Thanks in advance, I had been saving that as trump card (last choice), since it has Windows OS as main host and bitlocker ruling the whole hard disk, I am thinking on skip it, booting from pen drive, installing vbox plus downgraded ver. from antiX in, sounds like lotta of work, thinking that I would pick persistent file to void all these tasks again next time it wanna play.

This weekend I might end dealing with ldd command on that flash pluging and these several pages of libraries missing, I had watch several scripts that might read then run/download/install these missing libraries but mostly fail, due some name resolves, I had been thinking on emulate the removed flash player installer on antiX lastest ver., Idk if I should try it out in the ver. 23 as beta tester too for other apps/programs.

This is a signature.

Robin

since it has Windows OS as main host

There is a windows version of virtualbox on their website. ( Direct windows installer download http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/7.0.6/VirtualBox-7.0.6-155176-Win.exe ) from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads (There you’ll find also the very latest linux versions (downloadable .deb packages) you can run on antiX 23)

vbox plus downgraded ver. from antiX in, sounds like lotta of work, thinking that I would pick persistent file to void all these tasks again next time it wanna play.

No, all these tasks need to be done once only. Once installed, all this it will come up within seconds, just like all other programs installed on your PC. Moreover you can port your virtualbox container with the installed antiX system within it, completely installed and set up with all flash games you like to play) even to another PC by simply copying the virtual hard drive file virtualbox creates. If you want to save disk space you can place the container to an USB pen drive (USB-stick) rather than to the built in hdd. (The virtual hard drive file will take 4 GB ~ 12 GB file size, depending how much programs you plan to install in it. You may want to strip the system down so it boots directly to firefox rather than to default antiX desktop. The path how to achieve this was discussed some time ago here in forum. Then you can purge all unneeded components and might be fine with a virtual hdd size of 1.5 ~ 3 GB already, resulting in a more handy vdi container).

Just watch the video before, to which I had linked above, it is done on a Windows PC :) and it takes about 15 minutes to install everything needed. Follow exactly the cooking recipt described there.

No need to downgrade antiX, just install it to the virtualbox container from ISO directly. Here you’ll get the 17.3 ISOs. The full version contains already the old fierefox installation still running flash.
                    http://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/old/antiX-17.3/

I have done a bit testing, since I wanted to see this lovely old Svensk swf singing horses again I had accidentally came across in the early 2k years (probably 2002) twenty years ago. It took me 20 minutes to make it run within a virtualbox container, installing virtualised antiX 17.3 on top of antiX 23. It should work as smoothly on Windows OS.

hestekor.swf running in virtualised antiX 17.3 on antiX 23

In antiX 17.3 the firefox browser is completely ready, the outdated flash plugins are installed in this ISO. So just start the browser and connect to e.g. http://web.archive.org/web/20060110040935/http://svt.se/hogafflahage/hogafflaHage_site/Kor/hestekor.swf for testing. (These are the original singing horses from Swedish Television, this flash content should not contain any malware, it was captured and hosted by internet wayback machine, archive.org, so I consider it to be safe to run this very flash content) Additional hint: configure the virtual network adapter to “Bridged mode” instead of “NAT”.

WARNING: Don’t use the outdated firefox browser from within the virtual box environment to connect to any websites besides the ones you completely trust and want to play on! By all means, use the recent browser on your host (linux or windows) instead, to browse web. Keep a backup copy of the virtualbox container in order to be able to simply restore it completely from this backup in case of any signs of malware. (Keep in mind you are running outdated software with unpatched security issues huge as barn doors within this virtual sandboxed environment. Be carefully!).

Good luck!

Some1

Hi there, thanks for the short tutorial about virtual box, I still wonder if it can be installed in a Windows machine within the “S mode” on. I can’t run the swf file here since I use Firefox ver. 110 to general browsing and ver. 52 to play the game.

This is a signature.

Robin

I still wonder if it can be installed in a Windows machine within the “S mode” on

You could try it the way this video describes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILl4GuVAY5o

– At 00:02:29 select the antiX 17.3 ISO instead of the Windows 8 ISO.
                        – At 00:04:38 you should see then the antiX 17.3 live boot menu instead of Windows 8 welcome, then just fire it up.
                        – Check the settings from 00:08:59 to 00:09:26

If this fails with the antiX 17.3 ISO, you’ll have to ask Microsoft Support about the details how to make it run on windows in s-mode, they do know their OS. This is not an antiX issue then, the modern microsoft hyper-v systems can’t even run their own Win-XP as guest without generating BSODs on install already.

Just let me venture a guess: you’ll have to tweak the Windows registry (delete some specific keys mentioned in http://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/device-guard/enable-virtualization-based-protection-of-code-integrity ) and after that activate and deactivate again the Kernel-isolation features Memory-integrity and Firmware-protection in order to recreate the registry entries properly. After reboot the hyper-v should work with virtualbox 6.x at least and let you boot other guest systems.

– General information on how to run linux on windows hyper-v hosts: http://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/best-practices-for-running-linux-on-hyper-v
                        – Virtualbox specific information how to run Linux on Windows in “S” mode (hyper-v) can be found here also: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewforum.php?f=6

Again: Good luck. Microsoft will put a spoke in your wheel wherever they can, to avoid you running anything they don’t like.

Some1

The main spot to use antiX its to skip the whole Microsoft thing, I would do these steps with ease but my partner only know to press a button to power its pc, I gonna play the flash game right after this post, running antiX 17.1 this time with no squares in the libreoffice, I believe they started to appear after update/upgrade system, already wiped my usb stick with antiX 17.3 to install antiX 22 and it runs way better but with no flash in it, maybe if I am not that tired this weekend I might give a shot and try to install flash in it.

This is a signature.

Robin

The main spot to use antiX its to skip the whole Microsoft thing

Ok, then install antiX 22 on his recent PC. Or, if you don’t want to touch the existing windows installation on hdd, create an antiX 22 live USB stick, (on boot select modern kernel), apt-update && apt-upgrade it, install most recent virtualbox from the virtualbox download site as described above on it, and then perform a live remaster (personal). (If you ran out of memory while upgrading and installing, resulting in apt throwing errors, just start over, reboot again to live antiX 22 and update in chunks that allow you to remaster, reboot and update next chunk, remaster again, install and remaster next chunk, etc.) Once you’ve installed everything needed, start on the remastered live antix 22 the Oracle virtualbox environment from antiX “Programs → System” menu. Then follow the instructions from the first video above for installing antiX 17.3.1 in a virtualbox container. In this case it is a good idea to let the virtualbox hdd container live on the very same USB stick, e.g. in the folder ~/Live-USB-storage which lets you store things directly to the USB stick rather than placing them within the RAM mapped folders of the live environment. After everything works fine, do a last (personal) remaster to make everything permanent on the USB stick. When your partner now boots from this live USB stick, he’ll get antiX 22 surface, where he can start virtualbox and fire up the antiX 17 on top of it to play whatever flash he likes in the outdated firefox.

Basically you can create shortcuts for him or menu entries in antiX 22, which will fire up the antiX 17 virtualbox container without having to access the virtualbox manager, and you even can set it up that way the usb will boot straight into the virtualbox antiX 17, even starting the outdated firefox on the latter automatically, all this running on top of an (invisible) live antiX 22 instead of running default live antiX 22 desktop environment. The setup might be a bit tricky to make it work this way. Then it’s plug the USB, boot the PC and start playing flash. But it would be way easier for you when your partner would learn to click himself the antiX menu entries and proper buttons in virtualbox manager to fire up everything needed in proper order. Then it should look like the screenshot with the Swedish singing horses (which was taken from a live antiX 23 alpha).

My suggestion is: Don’t try installing the flash stuff directly on recent antiX, but use the virtual sandbox environment of virtualbox to fire up antiX 17.3.1 on top of it for this purpose. Just as I’ve described above. It’s the best chance you have, to make it run.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.