All browsers crash in antiX-17

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer, Helen Keller” All browsers crash in antiX-17

• This topic has 13 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Mar 4-7:49 am by rokytnji.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

I just installed antiX-17 on my old pentium-III (after some trouble with the installer and make-fstab, see a previous thread). But I cannot get any browsers to work. They all crash. Even thought they all work on this same machine in antiX-16. I installed SeaMonkey, QupZilla, and SlimJet and Pale Moon. SeaMonkey starts and browses for awhile but then crashes. FF crashes immediately. SlimJet and PaleMoon do not launch.

I read about some crashes of FF and SeaMonkey maybe having to do with SSE2. But I can’t tell if that has anything to do with it. And like I said these both work on this same rig using antiX-16 and other distros such as Vector and Xubuntu.

Here are the inxi outputs for both the antiX-17 and the antiX-16 installs, if it helps. Any ideas on why I can’t get a browser to work?

Thanks,
    Sean

$ inxi -Flx
    System:    Host: antix17 Kernel: 4.10.5-antix.1-486-smp i686 bits: 32 gcc: 6.3.0
               Desktop: IceWM 1.4.2 Distro: antiX-17_386-full Heather Heyer 24 October 2017
    Machine:   Device: desktop System: Compaq product: Deskpro serial: N/A
               Mobo: Compaq model: 0684h serial: N/A
               BIOS: Compaq v: 686P2 v2.04 date: 08/25/2000
    CPU:       Single core Pentium III (Coppermine) (-UP-) 
               arch: P6 III rev.6 cache: 256 KB
               flags: (pae sse) bmips: 1993 speed: 996 MHz (max)
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA NV11 [GeForce2 MX200] bus-ID: 01:00.0
               Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: vesa Resolution: 1024x768@0.00hz
               OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.9, 128 bits)
               version: 3.3 Mesa 13.0.6 Direct Render: Yes
    Audio:     Card Intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller
               driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: 2000 2400 bus-ID: 00:1f.5
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.5-antix.1-486-smp
    Network:   Card: Intel 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller
               driver: e100 v: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port: 1000 bus-ID: 02:08.0
               IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:02:a5:04:34:81
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 268.1GB (2.0% used)
               ID-1: /dev/sda model: Maxtor_6L100P0 size: 100.0GB
               ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD1600JB size: 160.0GB
               ID-3: USB /dev/sde model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 8.0GB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 15G used: 3.3G (24%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb9 label: rootantiX
               ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.08GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
               label: N/A
    Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
    Info:      Processes: 143 Uptime: 1:10 Memory: 110.6/496.3MB
               Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 6.3.0
               Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.40 

$ inxi -Flx
    System:    Host: deskpro Kernel: 4.4.10-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.9.3)
               Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8
               Distro: antiX-16_386-full Berta Cáceres 26 June 2016
    Machine:   Device: desktop System: Compaq product: Deskpro
               Mobo: Compaq model: 0684h
               BIOS: Compaq v: 686P2 v2.04 date: 08/25/2000
    CPU:       Single core Pentium III (Coppermine) (-UP-) cache: 256 KB
               flags: (pae sse) bmips: 1993 speed: 996 MHz (max)
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA NV11 [GeForce2 MX200] bus-ID: 01:00.0
               Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
               Resolution: 1280x1024@85.02hz
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI nv11 x86/MMX/SSE
               GLX Version: 1.2 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
    Audio:     Card Intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller
               driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: 2000 2400 bus-ID: 00:1f.5
               Sound: ALSA v: k4.4.10-antix.1-486-smp
    Network:   Card: Intel 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller
               driver: e100 v: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port: 1000 bus-ID: 02:08.0
               IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full
               mac: 00:02:a5:04:34:81
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 268.1GB (2.7% used)
               ID-1: /dev/sda model: Maxtor_6L100P0 size: 100.0GB
               ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD1600JB size: 160.0GB
               ID-3: USB /dev/sde model: USB_Flash_Drive size: 8.0GB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 15G used: 5.0G (36%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb7
               label: rootantiX-16
               ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.08GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
               label: N/A
    Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
    Info:      Processes: 137 Uptime: 57 min Memory: 239.8/496.8MB
               Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2
               Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.3.8 

• This topic was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by rokytnji.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by rokytnji.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

remove adobe-flashplugin.

You could also try the nonsse version of palemoon

palemoon-nonsse2

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracledolphin_oracle

inxi -f (lowercase F)

will show you the instruction sets supported by your cpu.

rokytnji,

how did you do that? How did you embed the text files inline? Something to do with BBCodes? Just put “code” before and after a paste-in?

Sean

remove adobe-flashplugin.

You could also try the nonsse version of palemoon

palemoon-nonsse2

I take it adobe-flashplugin is not installed in antiX-16? I guess that would answer why it works in 16 but not 17.

I tried installing Pale Moon non-SSE2 from synaptic but got an error about one of the library files not being up-to-date. I have been reading up on that and I do want to try Pale Moon. In the meantime I’ll do as you suggest and remove adobe-flashplugin.

Thanks,
    Sean

inxi -f (lowercase F)

will show you the instruction sets supported by your cpu.

Thank you, I think I messed up the inxi string. But I did see it shows only “sse” in the cpu. I’ll try “inxi -f” and see what I get.

Thanks

Thank you all,

I removed adobe-flashplugin and then re-installed SeaMonkey. It is now working and I am using SeaMonkey to post this. I will try the other browsers also, including Pale Moon nonsse.

But now I am wondering what I will be facing in upcoming months and years. When will it become a requirement to use flash to use a browser? I thought flash was being deprecated. But for how much longer will browsers be developed that are usable on a Pentium II/III? And even if flash is deprecated what other feature will be used that leaves all Pentium-II/III’s behind? Will flash and SSE2 be required on the next versions of these browsers?

Sean

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Thank you all,

I removed adobe-flashplugin and then re-installed SeaMonkey. It is now working and I am using SeaMonkey to post this. I will try the other browsers also, including Pale Moon nonsse.

But now I am wondering what I will be facing in upcoming months and years. When will it become a requirement to use flash to use a browser? I thought flash was being deprecated. But for how much longer will browsers be developed that are usable on a Pentium II/III? And even if flash is deprecated what other feature will be used that leaves all Pentium-II/III’s behind? Will flash and SSE2 be required on the next versions of these browsers?

Sean

Well. I keep a IBM T23 P3. A Panasonic cf-48. A couple of atom netbooks. A old Emachine 3507. Because I am a team tester for folks like you. I am the one who finds out what works and don’t work on certain gear. So I don’t sell my old equipment. Because I like to help out the folks who have taught me things.
    If you don’t wanna join me on my trail. Sell off your gear and get some p4’s. Because life aint fair sometimes.

Lucky for me. I am awake because I just installed AntiX 64 bit successfully on my Acer Chromebook C710 just now tonight to post this answer. Talk about being a chore to do. Go to the MX Forums under chromebook and read the hoops I just jumped through.

Took me from this afternoon to tonight to get this far. Still got a dist-upgrade to do. Just be glad you can still surf the net as world tries to leave you behind.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Haha, Roky, the world has already left us behind! I learned a long time ago that if I’m going to keep some old kit alive I’ll have to learn to do it myself. Not sure today’s generation has even seen a dot matrix printer or a centronics port!

Replacing computers in a small business is expensive so I try to keep what we have working as long as it’s practical. But I did upgrade 5 PC’s to Windows 10 last year and I’m using cloud services more and more. I have to keep up at least a little in the business. But this is my hobby. Just testing and learning. Nothing critical.

Maybe I will become one of your testers? I have several Pentium-II, Pentium-III and Pentium-4’s that I play with. It’s fun trying to keep them breathing against the odds.

Sean

When I installed antiX-14 on this old P-III box I was satisfied with it and frankly amazed that I could still use such an old computer in 2015, or whenever it was. But my main OS on this box was Vector Linux 7 at that point. This last year I installed antiX-16 and was again amazed that it worked. In fact antiX-16 almost worked OOB. But I did have to install SeaMonkey from the tar zip file and set up a desktop icon to launch it. And I had to figure out how to set the screen resolution to stick (I found out how to set xrandr in one of the IceWM setup files).

I was happy with how antiX-16 was working here in 2018. I even figured out how to update a command-line youtube app after I watched one of dolphins videos on some of the new CLI features of antiX-17. After watching that I wondered if maybe I had some of those programs on my antiX-16 install. Sure enough, they were there. But they didn’t work and needed to be updated. I plodded through some apt-get update stuff and eventually got both mpsyt and youtube-dl updated. They work fine in antiX-16. But antiX-16 does not have the snazzy new CLI control center that antiX-17 has.

So, I wondered if I could get antiX-17 working on this old rig. I wasn’t sure it would work because I knew it was using a newer kernel and some newer library files, etc. But I had an empty partition and gave it a go. I was disappointed to find out the distro was too big for a CD-ROM. And I knew I could not boot directly from USB on this rig. But I used a DVD and I soon had antiX-17 booting. But it refused to complete the live session and I couldn’t get the CLI installer to work.

I knew I was asking a lot. After all who cares about an old Pentium-III. This is 2018 for Pete’s sake! But I figured, what the hell. I’ll register on the forum and ask a few questions. What’s the harm in that? And I had already read lots of good stuff on the antiX and MX forums and knew that folks with old computers were welcome. So I asked a few questions and the fine people here have come to my rescue and I now have antiX-17 up and running! Amazing.

Really, thank you to anticapitalista, dolphin, roky and the rest of you all. You guys have created a great linux distro for me and several others who, for whatever reason, refuse to throw out their old computers. And I know it’s all unnecessary. There’s really no good reason to support such an old computer as a P-II or P-III. But antiX works better than most OS’s I’ve tried and I’m happy I found it. Maybe I can help by becoming one of the testers with Roky for old obsolete computers? Maybe I can be assigned to the “dullards who know almost nothing about developing software” division. Ha!

Thanks again.
    Sean

fungalnetfungalnet

I use palemoon everywhere and never ever have a problem or a crash.
    I use the pminstaller to download, install, and update pm. It works very well anywhere I have tried it (7 distributions x 5 machines, mostly older-old)

I wouldn’t use anything adobe makes.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Maybe because you don’t use a browser on PIII or less?

I use palemoon everywhere and never ever have a problem or a crash.
    I use the pminstaller to download, install, and update pm. It works very well anywhere I have tried it (7 distributions x 5 machines, mostly older-old)

I wouldn’t use anything adobe makes.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

fungalnetfungalnet

I have access to a single core celeron and a p2 with about 256k ram on each, but it is true, I haven’t used them for a while because of other hw problems they had. I have a couple of early c2d boxes I test things on. Surprisingly the most hw problems I’ve encountered are on a borrowed i7 3rd-gen Dell. My Amd phenom-x4 runs circles around it.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

rokytnji,

how did you do that? How did you embed the text files inline? Something to do with BBCodes? Just put “code” before and after a paste-in?

Sean

I missed this post. I used the code button on the reply box toolbar. [code] tags [/code]does not work on this forum like other forums.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.