An idea… IceWM Dynamic Desktop Menu

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions An idea… IceWM Dynamic Desktop Menu

• This topic has 99 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Oct 13-5:02 am by BobC.
Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Author

I agree, Bob,!
    One thing I don’t know you considered- low specs machines can have only 5 – 10 recent files on the menu- to avoid any slowdown, and in case the user wants to find a file that was modified many days ago, simply go to the script to choose how many recent files to show, example: 100, and then find the file!

Not related at all, but the Recent files menu icon was bugging me, so I took a look for some icons I liked, I hope you don’t mind, Bob…

You can try one of these, it looks great on the menu, and avoids repeating the same “applications” icon…

This icons look like the one MX uses for the recent files menu – I like them… But when using BlueDay theme, there’s not much contrast – the icons are harder to see… (then again the same thing happens in the default MX menu):
    /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/symbolic/actions/document-open-recent-symbolic.png
    /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/22×22/actions/download-later.png

Or you can try one of the “folder” icons:
    /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/22×22/places/folder-blue-recent.png
    Basically you can try the color you like best… using “/usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/22×22/places/folder-[COLORNAME]-recent.png”

My recent files menu entry, using a new icon-

menuprog "Recent Files" /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/22x22/places/folder-blue-recent.png /usr/local/bin/icewm-menu-recentfiles.sh

P.

I will give it a try. anti has been using 48×48 icons, so I will use those variants.

Ok, here it is. It looks nice, makes sense and runs fast, no unexpected delays. I like it.

Attachments:
    1. icewm-menu-11.zip

Ok, here it is

Hi Bob, please check if version 11 of the recent files script is executable! It refused to run when I tested it and I found out it was not executable, at least not the version I unzipped…
    Other than that, the users can choose which version to use- the recent files on the first or second menu layer (v.9 and v.10- 11)
    It’s now a finished product, ready to be included on the final version of antiX!
    (Oh- and I use the new icon also on the main menu entry, not just the second layer of the menu, but that’s a matter of personal taste)

P.

Sorry, you are correct. I usually notice the colors, but wasn’t being careful enough. Here is 11.1 with all the scripts executable.

A question: Should what I have called “Recent Files” instead be called “Recent” as Manjaro does in their 18.1.0 Gnome version? I noticed that their tooltip when hovering over it says “Recent files”, so that tells me the function intended is similar. In Windows I believe its called “Recent Files”.

A 2nd question… What would be a good way to change these scripts to display their text in the language of the person operating the menus? The main menu options are hard coded, so there is nothing obvious that I can do to help there other than keep words to a minimum. But the lists of files are actually programs generating menu files to be displayed at that moment, so for example the phrases “Recent files list”, “Next 10”, “Change number of files to show” or “Clear Recent file history” could be stored in word or text string variables that could be translated to the language of the viewer if I understood how to do that. I tried running antiX in German to try to understand better what someone would see, but I found it was sometimes German and sometimes English.

masinickmasinick

@Bobc:

This suggests that not all items in the applications you are using have been translated into German.

Perhaps either some menu or text entries have not been correctly localized.

Brian Masinick

The separate scripts for setting the number of files to display and clearing the history could run from .desktop entries that could be localized, and then the scripts themselves would need to be localized. From investigating, I found that the add-desktop script is localized, so provides an example, and I would think that it should work with YAD but didn’t try it. The add-desktop does appear to use it, so might be an example for doing it to a YAD script.

There is the word “Next” in the recentfiles script which could be localized or maybe just replaced with “>> 10” to say “Next 10”, but the real problem is that menuprog and menufile entries don’t come from .desktop entries, so there is no expected place to store the localization text. I don’t know the answer for those.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by BobC. Reason: found YAD usage

I’ve added localization to all the scripts based on $LANGUAGE=es as per the example I found. I attempted to use google to translate to spanish which I took over 40 years ago in school.

If it doesn’t work let me know, and provide output of printenv command.

Attachments:
    1. icewm-menu-12.zip

anti, I booted 19b3 in spanish in virtualbox and installed my programs and localization file from the 12.zip above. The script localizations all worked except that YAD’s cancel button said cancel instead of something in spanish.

However, I see the menu file itself is in spanish when I boot in spanish, which makes sense, but I don’t know how you maintain the various languages of menus based on what I got downloading source. I would guess this needs to be added to the “base” .pot of the menus and then incorporated/merged into all the .po files but don’t see how that is done.

Let me know if something else is needed.

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.