An issue after upgrading to 21

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” An issue after upgrading to 21

• This topic has 15 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Nov 22-1:00 am by Mach282.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mach282

I am having some setup issues after upgrading from AntiX 19.

First, the display starts out not defaulting to the proper resolution. In my case, it sometimes starts at 1024×768 instead of 1920×1200. I can, of course, change it with the session aRandR but that always doesn’t last between boots.
      Question 1: How can I make the new display resolution permanent?

Secondly, the control center has an option to add Nvidia drivers which card I own. However, neither the Main or backports has the driver. It reports the my card is only supported by older legacy drivers which aren’t in the Debian suite. All this may be related to the above issues.
      Quesition 2: Is there any way to get and install those drivers?

Thanks for your attention.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Mach282.
      BobC

You could rename the folder $HOME/.screenlayout and then logout and log back in? It should recreate the directory when you come back in. The settings you wnt need to be saved in an executable file named $HOME/.screenlayout/default.sh which can be created by running arandr and saving the settings to that file after setting up the screen the way you want it.

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

caprea

So you upgraded from antiX19 to antiX21, and wasn’t the nvidia driver installed already before doing so ?
          Please post
          inxi -Gxxx
          and
          inxi -r

Mach282

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear: I did a fresh install of 21 after using 19.

caprea

OK.,please post output from terminal
              inxi -Gxxx

Mach282

$ inxi -Gxxx
                Graphics:
                Device-1: NVIDIA NV44A [GeForce 6200] vendor: XFX Pine driver: nouveau
                v: kernel bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0221 class-ID: 0300
                Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: nouveau
                unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa alternate: nv resolution: 1920×1200~60Hz
                s-dpi: 96
                OpenGL: renderer: NV4A v: 2.1 Mesa 20.3.5 direct render: Yes

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Mach282.
                • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Mach282.
                caprea

Unfortunately your card is only supported by the 304.xx legacy driver.This driver is no longer available in the stable repos and was actually no longer at antiX19.
                  There were a few successes to install the driver at antiX19 anyway. Very questionable if you can do this with antiX21.

In control-centre > session > arandr Screen resolution
                  you can save your settings, like BobC already mentioned above.Go to Layout > save under

Mach282

Caprea, thanks for that. I don’t use debian based distros often. I see where on the debian site where I can download the deb files from Debian stretch. Would it be possible to add that repository for this one install?

caprea

Sorry it isn’t easy like that. the older nvidia driver needs an older xorg and other circumstances.
                      I found posts on mx-forum where someone did it on MX21 and others
                      http://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=638080#p638080
                      Maybe you wait a little until someone comes forward who has tried the whole thing even on antiX21, or at least antiX19.

caprea

The forum software considers it as spam, if I post two links in one post
                        http://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=64793&hilit=nvidia+legacy+304

caprea
                          seaken64

@Mach282,

I have had success in the past (With antiX version 19) following similar guides as linked by caprea. But I was following steps provided by people way smarter than me about how to manipulate some system settings. You are essentially creating a “respin” by making those modifications. If you are comfortable with playing with the underlying system files and can manage your own updates with no support from the antiX and MX developers, you may go ahead and give it a go.

My recommendation would be to stay with the nouveau driver. If all you need is to set the resolution to 1920×1200 it seems that is working already. Just save your screen settings using arandr and then add it to either your IceWM startup file or the desktop session startup file.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by seaken64.
                            caprea

I can only agree with the words of seaken64 .

BobC

If I might suggest: Do whatever you did that got you 1920 x 1200 resolution again, use arandr to save the default.sh for you, then reboot again to make sure it stays that way.

If that works, you save yourself a lot of time and effort.

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

marcelocripe

Hello Mach282,

I think I found the topic that Caprea commented on. I hope this will help you.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/como-instalar-driver-da-placa-geforce-6200/

– – – – –

Olá Mach282,

Eu acho que encontrei o tópico que o Caprea comentou. Eu espero que isso te ajude.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.