Android and Privacy

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio Android and Privacy

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Oct 21-1:18 pm by ModdIt.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ModdIt

Well worth reading

http://www.scss.tcd.ie/Doug.Leith/Android_privacy_report.pdf

There are claims this makes google less invasive than xiaomi and huawei, those claims disregard the information
      collects and can correlate to android device users. Sources DNS service, Safe Browsing, Search engine, data on
      every search performed with firefox etc..

As fart as feasible I have disconnected myself from google, BUT do not expect that in any way detracts from
      surveillance by government agencys. Googles mother company alphabet, definitely a cia corporation.
      I am very suspicious on duck duck go claims. Same goes for Brave Browser, They are seated in usa so patriot act
      fully applies. My messenger Wire, claims to be swiss but has HQ in USA so is not exactly open to users.
      In any case switzerland is said not to spy on its citizens, sure it does on non citizens.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by ModdIt.
      Eismckwadraat19

table 1 in this essay is very impressive, /e/ os is actually the only good one.
        How can we define Linux systems in this context, do they respect privacy?

-I find capitalism repugnant. It is filthy, it is gross, it is alienating... because it causes war, hypocrisy and competition-

Fidel Castro

ModdIt

Edit as misread E/OS for IOS, getting old and blind Sorry, thanks xecure for pointing me right.

Problem with any alternative to installed android is many phones are highly resistant to rooting.
          Sadly mine too.

Regarding linux, I see way less network activity than with a widespread pseudo OS from Redmond town.

But
          I do have a very extensive Hosts list and remove or change a lot in my browsers.
          Hidden extensions pingsender crashreporter etc in Fox along with pocket error reporting,
          site blocklist site error reporting and anything else which looks weird.
          Use Policy and an extensive user.js.
          Without those changes start firefox and watch the network activity go up.
          Ungoogled chromium, network is still, Palemoon with some settings changed same.

On top some applications communicate with net to ask for example if updates are available.
          We chose what to update so I block that activity as far as I can.

I often watch which processes are running and find out what any are if I do not know
          that already. I watch for unusual network activity, memory, cpu load or rapid increase in fan
          noise although I an doing nothing which should cause high cpu or graphics card heating.

On several occasions I have found firefox running headless in background.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by ModdIt.
          Eismckwadraat19

Very interesting that you follow the activities of an OS/browser.
            This of course says something about the unusual data usage.
            I think most people are not critical about this, allowing governments/companies to do their thing.

You are very knowledgeable, thanks for sharing.
            Maybe you can help me with the following question.
            Why are all open source projects and non-commercial software developments always connected to Europe/America?
            Why, for example, is there no Chinese linux alternative, but Chinese build on current linux?

-I find capitalism repugnant. It is filthy, it is gross, it is alienating... because it causes war, hypocrisy and competition-

Fidel Castro

Xecure

e/ os is actually the only good one.

I tend to think thaat is misleading. If apple can remove certain files or applications from
              devices and are able to scan for certain content.

Eismckwadraat19 is talking about /e/ OS

The report you linked says the /e/ OS is more private because it isn’t phoning back to Google (all others with Google Play are sending info to google, about 1-2 MBs a day).

antiX Live system enthusiast.
              General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

ModdIt

Sorry about misunderstanding on E/OS versus IOS.

Why almost all development is western. Patents and Patent trolls, almost all chip development and machinery
                is from west, mostly USA. China is certainly not sleeping so things may change.

On a chinese OS, Kylin and Neo Kylin are based on linux kernel, seem to be still making some advancement
                in to the chinese private market. It is OS of choice for Government.

I am guessing that the open source kernel with its hardware support and stability is why chinese own development
                is either finished or possibly secret.

On Phones Harmony OS is reportedly based on AOSP, the open source part of android.
                Supposedly I may be offered Harmony OS 2 in not too far future. Will be carefully watching XDA developers site
                once or if that comes along.

1-2 MBs a day data sent directly to google, at a guess mostly location tracking. When I killed play store on
                my Lenovo Lemon I immediately gained several hours extra time between charges.
                My Honor 9X Pro manages 3 to 4 days if I do not make too many long video calls to Ho Chi Minh.

Record on that phone is 18 logged connection tries to Internet, of those majority are to router dns NTP servers.
                Compare that to an Xiaomi device with 87 adresses visible in NetGuard. There may of course be hidden traffic directly
                from the hardware as base band radio device is after the virtual VPN Net guard setup.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by ModdIt.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.