Announcement: set-screen-blank to translate

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations Announcement: set-screen-blank to translate

• This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Sep 16-2:26 pm by marcelocripe.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Robin

Hello everybody!

There is a new resource ready for translation, this time it is the screensaver management console from antiX control center on transifex antiX-contribs. Developer notes are included and may help to avoid difficulties. Translation files are tested already and functioning.

Many thanks to all fellow translators for the permanent support in completing the localisation of antiX and all the programs. That’s a real great thing.

So long
    Robin

P.S.: @Dave / @anticapitalista Please could one of you direct me to the source file of this script, since I had to do some minor amendments to make the translations work. I have the .py file ready for merge, but can’t find your source on gitlab.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hello dear Robin.

Thank you very much for all your work and commitment, another program that we will have translation, this is a victory!

Comments are extremely important as they guide us in the translation process, especially when they instruct us when we should or should not translate a specific passage.

marcelocripe

– – – – –

Olá caro Robin.

Muito obrigado por todo o seu trabalho e empenho, mais um programa que teremos tradução, isto é uma vitória!

Os comentários são extremamente importantes, pois nos guiam no processo de tradução, em especial quando nos instruem quando devemos ou não traduzir algum trecho específico.

marcelocripe

Xecure
    Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Many thanks Xecure, I’ll fork this, upload the file and send a merge request immediately. No idea why I couldn’t find this when I searched on gitlab for it, and it was invisible to me while looking in anticapitalistas antiX section manually.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Searching for projects in gitlab is a terrible experience. I opted to edit the url and try different names until it works.

When searching for the source of a command, I first figure out the package:

$ dpkg -S /usr/local/bin/set-screen-blank
    set-screen-blank-antix: /usr/local/bin/set-screen-blank

Then I see if the package information mentions the source

$ apt show set-screen-blank-antix
    Package: set-screen-blank-antix
    [...]
    Homepage: https://github.com/antiX-Linux/set-screen-blank-antix

and then follow the Homepage link (if it works, some sources still have the original github link or have changed the repo name and archived the old version).

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Many thanks again for your hints concerning gitlab and your search strategy. It’s still kind of nightmare to me finding anything on their page. I have the impression they do hide everything in some place where you at least would expect it 🙂

Merge request is sent already, and here are the download links:

set-screen-blank script file ver 2.2 (minor amendments needed for proper localisation added)

pot-file (ver 2.2)

German language file, .mo type for use compiled from transifex (also ver 2.2)
    Russian language file, .mo type for use compiled from transifex, ver 2.2
    Brasilian Portuguese language file, .mo type, compiled for use, from transifex, ver 2.2
    Portuguese language file, compiled .mo type for use, from transifex, ver 2.2
    Spanish language file, .mo type, compiled for use, from transifex, ver 2.2
    Belgian French language file, compiled .mo type for use, from transifex, ver 2.2
    French language file, compiled .mo type for use, from transifex, ver 2.2

More compiled language files to come as soon as next translations on transifex are ready.

P.S.: The difference between the filenames is intentionally. The textdomain was set within the script to filename+extension (.py), so the .mo files need to have the .py extension also in their name, regardless whether the script itself comes without any extension.

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

Dear Robin,
    Thank you for your announcement.
    French translation is done.
    Best regards,
    Wallon

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hi Robin,

The file “set-screen-blank.py.mo” in pt-BR has synthesis errors in the translation due to my ability to understand automatic translations, especially when the word “Time” is present in the original English text and in this specific case “Screen Blank”, as I understood from your explanations, actually the screen goes black or blank. As per the private message I sent you, I will need to review all the phrases that contain “Time” and “Blank”.

The word “team” in English is a problem for me, there are many synonyms and possibilities in the translation of this word, the challenge is to guess which is the correct term:

https://michaelis.uol.com.br/moderno-ingles/busca/ingles-portugues-moderno/time/

1 tempo.
    2 espaço de tempo, época, período: the time of the action is in the 9th century / Theat a ação se passa no século IX.
    3 hora, ocasião, oportunidade, momento: can you tell me the right time? / pode dizer-me que horas são? what time is it? what’s the time? / que horas são? this is no time for joking / agora não é hora para brincadeiras: can he tell the time? / ele já sabe dizer as horas? watch the (your) time / não perca a hora!, não perca a oportunidade! she was near her time / sua hora estava chegando: tell me the time please / por favor, diga-me que horas são.
    4 prazo.
    5 vez.
    6 tempo de prisão: he did (his) time / ele cumpriu sua pena na cadeia.
    7 tempos, condições de vida.
    8 Música: tempo, compasso, ritmo.
    9 tempo de trabalho.
    10 remuneração por certo tempo de trabalho.
    11 momento da morte.
    12 times vezes, multiplicado por.

Transitive verb + intransitive verb
    1 medir, determinar o tempo, cronometrar: the plane is timed to take off at five / o avião deve levantar voo às cinco.
    2 acompanhar, seguir o tempo ou o ritmo.
    3 escolher o momento ou a ocasião.

Adjective
    1 relativo ao tempo.
    2 a prazo

The purpose of making public is to demonstrate in this example my difficulty in understanding some results of machine translations, sometimes I am misled by machine translation that makes me misunderstand the meaning used in the sentences. Hence the necessity and importance of always searching Transifex for the latest available version of the translations before creating the .deb packages.

Thanks.

marcelocripe

– – – – –

Olá Robin,

O arquivo “set-screen-blank.py.mo” em pt-BR possui erros de sintese na tradução devido a minha capacidade de compreensão das traduções automáticas, em especial quando a palavra “Time” está presente no texto original em inglês e neste caso específico “Screen Blank”, conforme eu compreendi das suas explicações, na verdade a tela fica preta ou apagada. Conforme a mensagem particular que eu te enviei, eu precisarei rever todas as frases que contenham “Time” e “Blank”.

A palavra “time” em idioma inglês é um problema para mim, existem muitos sinônimos e possibilidades na tradução desta palavra, o desafio é adivinhar qual é o termo correto:

https://michaelis.uol.com.br/moderno-ingles/busca/ingles-portugues-moderno/time/

1 tempo.
    2 espaço de tempo, época, período: the time of the action is in the 9th century / Theat a ação se passa no século IX.
    3 hora, ocasião, oportunidade, momento: can you tell me the right time? / pode dizer-me que horas são? what time is it? what’s the time? / que horas são? this is no time for joking / agora não é hora para brincadeiras: can he tell the time? / ele já sabe dizer as horas? watch the (your) time / não perca a hora!, não perca a oportunidade! she was near her time / sua hora estava chegando: tell me the time please / por favor, diga-me que horas são.
    4 prazo.
    5 vez.
    6 tempo de prisão: he did (his) time / ele cumpriu sua pena na cadeia.
    7 tempos, condições de vida.
    8 Música: tempo, compasso, ritmo.
    9 tempo de trabalho.
    10 remuneração por certo tempo de trabalho.
    11 momento da morte.
    12 times vezes, multiplicado por.

Verbo transitivo + verbo intransitivo
    1 medir, determinar o tempo, cronometrar: the plane is timed to take off at five / o avião deve levantar voo às cinco.
    2 acompanhar, seguir o tempo ou o ritmo.
    3 escolher o momento ou a ocasião.

Adjetivo
    1 relativo ao tempo.
    2 a prazo

O objetivo de tornar público é de demonstrar neste exemplo a minha dificuldade em compreender alguns resultados das traduções automáticas, por vezes eu sou enganado pela tradução automática que me leva a compreender errado o sentido empregado nas frases. E, por isso a necessidade e importância de sempre buscarem no Transifex a versão mais recente disponível das traduções antes de criarem os pacotes .deb.

Obrigado.

marcelocripe

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

The word “team” in English is a problem for me, there are many synonyms and possibilities in the translation of this word, the challenge is to guess which is the correct term:
    ….
    Obrigado.

marcelocripe

The word “times” in English is also a problem to translate in French.

For the blank screen, I translated in French “mise en veille de l’écran”.

If it can help you…

Kind regards,
    Wallon

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Next translation is ready: Greek. (thanks anti, this was really fast)

Greek language file, compiled .mo type for use, from transifex, ver 2.2

And Wallon, yours were added to the post above, which I can’t edit anymore meanwhile, otherwise I would have added Greek also there.

All the language files (.mo type) are tested and proven to be working with the 2.2 Version of the script on antiX 19 and antiX 21b2.
    In antiX 19 is missing the red X symbol on the close button present in antiX 21, but this doesn’t stop the show. Probably some system update will solve this.

So, if anybody accidentally knows somebody speaking some other languages, like Swedish, Italian, Polish, Turkish, Hebrew, Persian, Hindi, Afrikaans or whatever, please encourage people to join antiX translation team on both, antiX-development and antiX-comunity at transifex. There are many languages which could need some support of native speaking people, and if your favourite language is still missing, don’t hesitate, just ask. We’ll add it, as soon you want to start to translate. It is not difficult, if you can read English language.

The word “times” in English is also a problem to translate in French.

Well, this is actually one of the examples which are confusing to non English speaking people admittedly. I believe: At some point you’ll have to learn this differentiation simply while translating, the earlier the better. 🙂 I believe we have sorted it out here meanwhile, Marcelo, and your translation looks good, so the .mo file for Brasilian Portuguese language is updated also now. And, @Wallon, your »Durée avant la mise en veille de l’écran.« meets also exactly what this script is meant for.

Thank you very much, to all of you, participating in the translation, localisation and internationalisation of antiX.
    Robin.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Dear Wallon and Robin.

I thank you for all your explanations and help, I managed to correctly adapt the translations to pt-BR.

So, if anybody accidentally knows somebody speaking some other languages, like Swedish, Italian, Polish, Turkish, Hebrew, Persian, Hindi, Afrikaans or whatever, please encourage people to join antiX translation team on both, antiX-development and antiX-community at transifex. There are many languages which could need some support of native speaking people, and if your favourite language is still missing, don’t hesitate, just ask. We’ll add it, as soon you want to start to translate. It is not difficult, if you can read English language.

What do you think about the idea of inviting other people on this forum in the other language areas https://www.antixforum.com/forums/forum/general/other-languages/, I was working on a template invitation text containing initial guidelines for new translators. I will send it to you two to evaluate and edit at will the initial text I produced, I hope you like my suggestion. We need to increase the team of translators for the good of all the people scattered on this planet.

United for an increasingly translated antiX.

marcelocripe

– – – – –

Caros Wallon e Robin.

Eu agradeço por todas as suas explicações e ajudas, eu consegui adaptar corretamente as traduções para pt-BR.

So, if anybody accidentally knows somebody speaking some other languages, like Swedish, Italian, Polish, Turkish, Hebrew, Persian, Hindi, Afrikaans or whatever, please encourage people to join antiX translation team on both, antiX-development and antiX-comunity at transifex. There are many languages which could need some support of native speaking people, and if your favourite language is still missing, don’t hesitate, just ask. We’ll add it, as soon you want to start to translate. It is not difficult, if you can read English language.

O que vocês acham da ideia de convidarmos outras pessoas neste fórum nas áreas dos outros idiomas https://www.antixforum.com/forums/forum/general/other-languages/, eu estava trabalhando em um modelo de texto de convite contendo orientações iniciais para os novos tradutores. Eu vou enviar para vocês dois avaliarem e editarem a vontade o texto inicial que eu produzi, eu spero que gostarem da minha sugestão. Precisamos aumentar a equipe de tradutores para o bem de todas as pessoas espalhadas neste planeta.

Unidos por um antiX cada vez mais traduzido.

marcelocripe

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

We also need a native English speaker to proofread “Pirate English (en@pirate)” from antix-contribs.

Precisamos também de um nativo do idioma Inglês para revisar o “Pirate English (en@pirate)” do antix-contribs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.