AntiX 17.4.1: Update Menu is not shown

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” AntiX 17.4.1: Update Menu is not shown

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Jul 6-9:12 pm by prox.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    proxprox

Hi,

If I click the Start button in rox-icewm, then select “Update Menu” (“Update Menü” in the language of my window manager, i. e. German), then nothing happens, the Update Menu is not shown, no GUI window pops up.

Does this behaviour has something to do with the fact that I ran “sudo apt-get update” and “sudo apt-get upgrade”after the installation of AntiX 17.4.1?

And is it recommended to run “sudo apt-get update” and “sudo apt-get upgrade” on AntiX for updating an AntiX system?

prox

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Update Menu is used to show any newly installed apps in the Applications section of the menu.
    It has nothing to do with apt-get.

Running sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade in a terminal is ok to update antiX.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

proxprox

Update Menu is used to show any newly installed apps in the Applications section of the menu.
    It has nothing to do with apt-get.

Thanks, anticapitalista. Then I suggest the following message in a GUI-window, if one clicks the “Update Menu” entry, and if no applications have been added to the Applications section of the menu:

“No applications have been added to the Applications section”. Below that an “OK” button.

Running sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade in a terminal is ok to update antiX.

OK, thanks.

proxprox

Update:

And then I suggest the following alternative message in a GUI-window, if one clicks the “Update Menu” entry, and if in fact an application or several applications has/have been added to the Applications section of the menu:

“The following applications have been added to the Applications section”. Below that a list of applications that have been added to the Applications section. Below that an “OK” button.

XecureXecure

Update:

And then I suggest the following alternative message in a GUI-window, if one clicks the “Update Menu” entry, and if in fact an application or several applications has/have been added to the Applications section of the menu:

“The following applications have been added to the Applications section”. Below that a list of applications that have been added to the Applications section. Below that an “OK” button.

I understand where you are coming from, as you were expecting something else from this tool. If you read previous posts in the forum, you will find that someone already had the same impression. Maybe changing the name for this menu entry or adding it inside the Applications submenu may avoid this in the future. Updating the system is not the same as updating the menu.

Update Menu will not be used in most cases, as most users install apps from the Synaptic package manager, which automatically updates the Applications Menu using the same script used by Update Menu (so they would have this message you are suggesting pop up every time you update stuff with Synaptic Package Manager, which is redundant). In cases when you compile your own apps or install a .deb file, then using Update Menu makes sense.

I think it is better for the user to understand what this does. Maybe have a small explanation first time they boot the system, or maybe adding a small section in the FAQ in the future.

proxprox

Thanks for your information, Xecure. Now I completely understand.

Changing the name of “Update Menu” does not seem to be a good solution because in fact this menu entry should be called “Update Application section of this Menu”, which is too long as a name for a meny entry. The Menu would look ugly. But maybe I am wrong.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by prox.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.