antiX-17.5 needed?

• This topic has 26 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Oct 29-12:59 am by BobC.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    BobC
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

I think if you update 17 to include the newer Xorg, it might cause video problems for the older machines that have older cards.

roland
    Helpful
    Up

32-bit hardware seems to be rapidly dwindling, surely it will cease to exist in the quite near future, 2 or 3 years maybe? I use mainly other people’s cast-offs and have no 32-bit stuff left at all now except in my junk box.

oops
    Helpful
    Up

I was thinking of updating the antiX-17 series to include all latest updates since release because …

If I do this, should I add some new features/apps that were not on antiX-17 but do appear in antiX-19 eg chroot-rescue, live grub rescue options, isomount options, various yad additions provided by community members eg yad-calendar, various IceWM additions provided by community members eg icewm-toolbar-icon-manager.sh, updated linux-nonfree firmware

… Yes, especially chroot-rescue-scan , etc

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks all.

I haven’t forgotten this, but I want to get some further feedback from antiX-17 users.

I have built the very latest IceWM and fluxbox (used on antiX-19.x) for antiX-17.
    They should appear in the antiX/dev repo soon (not enabled by default).
    Testers needed. It won’t break anything, IIRC it (IceWM) adds c2-3MB RAM, fluxbox no increase.

Although I would like to see some of our new stuff in antiX-19 back-ported to antiX-17, I’m wary of including upgrades that existing antiX-17 users may not want/need/like. On the other hand, having updated antiX apps and new stuff such as chroot-rescue, live grub rescue should work fine on an antiX-17 base. I am not going to upgrade/backport anything from Debian buster so no new Xorg, libreoffice etc.

antiX-17-base has also put on weight and will no longer fit on a cd. For this version (and for antiX-19.3) I’m not going to worry about it.

I’ll probably work on updating the antiX-19 media first and come back to this in a couple of weeks.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Sounds like an excellent plan and I am in support of whatever you do.

I have multiple antiX instances already, but I have extra partitions, an extra system and plenty of USB drives so I can test whenever you’re ready.

Brian Masinick

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Just wondering if this was still a thing? I made a 17.4.1 x64 full USB, brought it up to date and updated the kernel to 4.19.100 and remastered. That booted up and ran fine.

I used Ceni to connect.

After that I tried from Synaptic to use the testing repo to update IceWM, but it didn’t like it.

I just wanted to see how much effort it would need…

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Just wondering if this was still a thing? I made a 17.4.1 x64 full USB, brought it up to date and updated the kernel to 4.19.100 and remastered. That booted up and ran fine.

I used Ceni to connect.

After that I tried from Synaptic to use the testing repo to update IceWM, but it didn’t like it.

I just wanted to see how much effort it would need…

I believe that this is still a “thing”, but more feedback to anticapitalista would be helpful, and I suspect that the every day busy activities have put off the work to some degree. So anyone interested, please add feedback and suggestions. I’m all FOR this work, though it isn’t a “must have” for me; I have plenty of excellent images in place already, I just enjoy our releases and experimenting with them. Those of you who REALLY need this please speak up so anti has a better sense of what would be most helpful, necessary and useful; thanks!

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Install latest IceWM on antiX-17.x by adding dev to the deb line in sources (antix.list).
    (see my post 3/4 above this one).

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks anticapitalista.

Could you provide the antix/dev repo line to use, please, and I’ll add it to my 17 updated and test it a bit.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks anticapitalista.

Could you provide the antix/dev repo line to use, please, and I’ll add it to my 17 updated and test it a bit.

eg

deb http://mirrors.rit.edu/mxlinux/mx-packages/antix/stretch stretch main nosystemd nonfree dev

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Ok, thanks. Sorry, I don’t know things like that.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I went to Package Installer to try to install the latest myself, which would be an acceptable solution, but I think the packages shown are older, I think because package installer may have within it the package list. I’m not trying to open a BUCKET of worms with all or many packages, but if easy, we should try to improve the versions of the major packages that people use everyday and really depend on, keeping in mind that the machines forced to stay on 17 will be mostly older ones with less capability.

I am wondering about WiFi. It has Ceni, and for me that was always good, but its hard for newbies. It also has WiCd. I am thinking could we get the new Connection Manager the way it is now, but if not, maybe we could put WiCd on the toolbar so people find it easily. WiCd worked fine, as did Ceni.

It would also make sense to get IceWM configured the way it is now since I’m on 1.8.3 of it after adding the dev repo, for example with antix-goodies if that wouldn’t cause a mess.

A few more, but that may not be reasonable to ask for are live-usb-maker, boot-repair and persistence related. I’m guessing those might be too difficult.

If you need help configuring or testing, let me know and I’ll pitch in and work on whatever you like over the weekend.

I saw your other thread and removed things here that you covered.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by BobC.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by BobC. Reason: updated comments
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by BobC. Reason: removed things covered in other thread
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.