(solved) incorrect screen resolution: Pentium4 + Mobility Radeon 7500

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions (solved) incorrect screen resolution: Pentium4 + Mobility Radeon 7500

• This topic has 24 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Nov 30-3:33 am by cyrilus31.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Tried antiX 13.2. 1024×768 resolution available and enabled out of the box.
    From antiX 16 on (not tested version 15), I need to force the correct resolution.

X11 folder, plus how xorg is set up is way way way different from `13.2 to the present. Time moves on.

Edit: It is not a AntiX thing. It is a Xorg foundation thing.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by rokytnji.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

anti wrote it down here again yesterday! https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/changing-screen-resolution/#post-2692
    What else do you want?

Hi, cyrilus31. My take, upon reading that debian wiki page (it’s marked “Last Updated: Sept 2017” so seemed current//relevant)
    was that the quirk you described would be resolved by installing the package version available from “jessie” repo
    (vs the “current, newest” available from the debian Stretch repo).

Hope you might understand the difference between “being condescending” and “becoming frustrated” after doing legwork toward helping someone solve a problem… and having that person ignore / refuse to apply the wiki-suggested solution as a rule-out troubleshooting step.

Yeah, your antiX 16 install may have been (likely was) already using that “jessie” repo driver package.
    Yeahbut… the shipped version of Xorg has changed
    Yeahbut… maybe something else in the wiki page is relevant, maybe the Xorg.conf described therein will provide a fix…

I’ll own up to sometimes being a curmudgeon (teach a man to fish, or become grumpy and go home) but “condescending”? No.
    I believe that everyone is an expert at something(s), and that no one can be truly expert at everything. Although I’ve been around the block, I have huge gaps in my linux knowledge. Helping to solve problems serves to help ME close those gaps.

cyrilus31cyrilus31

@male : once again it is not what I asked for. In his thread anti discusses the way to save and load on reboot a specific resolution you can choose.

I put myself in the position of a newcomer and beginner installing antiX. When I log in after a fresh install I can’t select the correct resolution because it is not available in Arandr. You have roundabout ways to fix this problem.

Ok so it seems not to be a major issue after all…

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

You wrote earlier in this thread.

And just for info, everything works perfectly, except I must force the resolution after login. That was the subject of my topic.

ie force the resolution. That is what I addressed.

If you want to know *why*, it is probably down to the newer xorg used in stretch (antiX-17, MX-17) compared to jessie (antiX-16, MX-16), which roky and skidoo mentioned.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by anticapitalista.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by anticapitalista. Reason: fix typos

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

cyrilus31cyrilus31

You did not read the whole thread anti 😉
    I have the same issue with antiX 16 (and even antix 15 although the Xorg version is the same as in MX16). No pb with antix up to version 13.

Ok if even you don’t know how to solve the problem I will put en end to this thread. Thanks to all.

Edit: that’s what I said from the beginning. antiX 17 with 3.16 kernel detects perfectly my resolution from start. Linux kernel 4 and above cause trouble to my configuration. Thread solved.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by cyrilus31.
    Forum Admin

You did not read the whole thread anti 😉
    I have the same issue with antiX 16 (and even antix 15 although the Xorg version is the same as in MX16). No pb with antix up to version 13.

Ok if even you don’t know how to solve the problem I will put en end to this thread. Thanks to all.

Edit: that’s what I said from the beginning. antiX 17 with 3.16 kernel detects perfectly my resolution from start. Linux kernel 4 and above cause trouble to my configuration. Thread solved.

I certainly did read this thread from the beginning. Nowhere before your last post do you mention antiX-17 and the old 3.16 kernel works.
    You also mentioned that you From antiX 16 on (not tested version 15), I need to force the correct resolution. without saying how.

Anyhow, glad you found the solution(s). So, on your box, antiX-17(16 and 15) and the default xorg work fine with an older kernel (pre 4 series). That is very useful information for others that have this issue. Probably it would be a good idea to have a ‘legacy’ kernel available in the package-installer for those that need it.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

cyrilus31cyrilus31

When I said you didn’t read my thread from beginning it was refering to

it is probably down to the newer xorg used in stretch (antiX-17, MX-17) compared to jessie (antiX-16, MX-16), which roky and skidoo mentioned.

as I explained in my first post that antiX 16 had the issue too.

Anyway thanks to you all (and to Skidoo, my apologize if I seemed to be rude).

I hope it will help someone but I must be the only one to have this laptop anymore 😉

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by cyrilus31.
    Forum Admin

No worries.

Tell me , apart from downgrading the kernel, what else did you do to ‘force the correct resolution’ and get it working on antiX-17?

Then we have 2 possible solutions for others that may have the same issue as you.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by anticapitalista.

cyrilus31cyrilus31

Still further investigating for a viable solution.
    Chrispop just posted a machine configuration with a mobility radeon 7500, and the max resolution is available out of the box. So it’s not simply a matter of graphic card or kernel. Maybe my panel is not perfectly detected. Will try to take a look at EDID info…

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.