antiX-19.1 based on debian sid available

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19.1 based on debian sid available

• This topic has 17 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jan 1-5:41 am by anticapitalista.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

These iso files are based on Debian sid and come as core or net version using svsVinit or runit.

The following flavours for both 32 and 64 bit architecture are available.

antiX-core (c350MB) sysVinit and runit versions – no X, but should support most wireless.

antiX-net (c180MB) sysVinit and runit versions – no X. Just enough to get you connected (wired only) and ready to build.

The 32 bit version uses a non-pae kernel.

These iso files are for experienced users of antiX or Debian.

* Based on Debian sid
    * runit or sysVinit
    * eudev (3.2.8) instead of systemd-udev
    * Customised 5.2.21 kernel with fbcondecor splash
    * antiX remaster and persistence tools
    * live-kernel-updater
    * cli-aptiX – a cli package installer
    * antiX-cli-cc – cli control centre
    * live-usb-maker
    * basic cli installler
    * no UEFI install option

Download

Enjoy!

anticapitalista

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

fatmac
    Helpful
    Up

Now there’s a nice Xmas present – Seasons Greetings – to you & the team, & thanks for all the work you all do on our favourite distro.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

fungalnet
    Helpful
    Up

But does it have symantic on it? If it does I will try it. If it doesn’t it is what I already have, so I’ll pass 🙂

No, really, this is great help, because after it took for ever to upgrade from buster to sid I had to stop and backup an image of it before I went hacking some more into it. For some reason upgrading as a whole take a multiple of times longer than downloading a sid image and booting. A combination of reasons, slow connection, slow machine, maybe even slow medium.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

fungalnet, quite a while back you mentioned

I was under the impression that anything antix would supersede anything from other repositories even if they have a higher version number.

and I don’t recall that anyone chimed in to say “no, it ain’t so”.
    Belatedly, I’m doing so now.

apt-mark showhold
    will show you any currently “pinned” packages
    and you should expect to find that few (if any) of the pre-installed packages bear held status.

apt-config dump
    ( and browsing the files pathed under / etc /apt / preferences )
    probably won’t hint, won’t reveal, all of the IMPLICIT apt behaviors (defaulting to implicit values specified by the apt package maintainers unless overridden) including this detail:

This, shown graphically, is the default pref for all packages on your system.
    This is the implicit default, as shipped by debian apt maintainers not overridden by any antiX -supplied configuration.

BTW:
    changing this (or other “prefs”) from within synaptic can lead to unexpected (by you) detrimental results. Commandline apt operations, and operations performed from within “packageinstaller” may be blind to those “synaptic-specific” preferences.

Per my recent tests, you should expect that synaptic will be installable.
    I’m explaining here that when you install it, the pkg will be retrieved from the debian (not antiX) repository. Yes, its use will be subject to policykit rules (and you may want to edit the antixers file I mentioned in the other recent topic).

For systems tracking “stable”, to accomplish what looks like, seems like, “prefer package versions from antiX repository” the antiX repository simply serves a higher-versioned package (compared to “debian stable”)

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

I install antiX 19 runit sid core version everything with the installer went well. Ran cli-aptiX updated the system then installed xorg , slim , i3-dependencies then i3-gaps git version.

Rebooted to slim login screen but get an error trying to login = “failed to execute login command” dropping to tty can login just fine as user and su which I setup during the install.

This was done on my x220. Any ideas Thanks

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Koo.

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb , antiX-19.2.1-runit_x64-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 , 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I have to install xserver-xorg-legacy as well,

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for replying but the error remains with xserver-xorg-legacy installed. Slim “failed to execute login command”

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb , antiX-19.2.1-runit_x64-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 , 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Have you edited /etc/slim.conf?

You need changes like this:

login_cmd exec /bin/bash -login /etc/X11/Xsession %session (uncomment)
    #################OLD COMMAND####################
    # login_cmd exec /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session >~/.xsession-errors$DISPLAY 2>&1
    ################################################
    #LOGIN COMMAND FOR DESKTOP SESSION BELOW#
    #############################################################################################
    #login_cmd setsid /usr/local/bin/desktop-session %session (comment)
    #############################################################################################

auto_login yes

# default user, leave blank or remove this line
    # for avoid pre-loading the username.
    default_user anticap

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

Will do in the morning. Thanks for your help

linuxdaddy
    Helpful
    Up

Great holiday present Anti,

I downloaded the 19.1-64-bit-runit-core and assimilated my D830 latitude
    with an unstable build up… have a few issues to get but it’s up and
    running the new enlightenment DE. I’ll post a shot in screenshots.
    I’m using startx to launch instead of slim or lightdm. edit … I do have the
    xserver-xorg-legacy installed haven’t decided if want a display manager
    yet. runit seems real snappy even on this with a old spinning hdd drive.

One thing I had to do is remove ceni and use wicd to get wifi …. ceni wouldn’t
    turn on the card to scan. In wicd once I switched on wifi and then typed the password
    it connected just fine and worked.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: added to it

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

It seems that if you use startx, you need to also install xserver-xorg-legacy, but it is not needed if you use slim.
    If user does chooses slim login manager, you MUST edit /etc/slim.conf as shown above otherwise you get the error reported by Koo.

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

19.1-64-bit-runit-core reinstalled (x220) all intel

On installing
    Ask do you want to install packagers (before you even setup network this is ok with lan but useless with wifi)
    Are you running antix-net ? no this is the core version why is it asking even , core installs grub and so on anyway.
    Install grub for me it was a No wanted a system installed grub as this machine has more then one system can do update-grub from primary anyway.

Bye the way I like this installer.

On booting
    I installed slim fluxbox xorg xserver-xorg-video-intel git vim ranger this time round.
    Edited the slim.conf as stated above if I change user to anticap wont load slim at all just a blank screen, then changed to koo will load slim now but same as yesterday “failed to execute login command”

Now changing slim.conf line to remove comment to (login_cmd setsid /usr/local/bin/desktop-session %session) and dropping from slim to tty logged in as koo sudo startx takes me to fluxbox. Happy KoO

If I try to login from slim won’t work at all even tiring root root nothing happens as koo “failed to execute login command” (No xserver-xorg-legacy installed)

“I’ll be back”

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Don’t forget to uncomment this line – login_cmd exec /bin/bash -login /etc/X11/Xsession %session

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

This is so fun really I never seen a system work like this before lol.

Don’t worry I did that Thanks

Don’t forget to uncomment this line – login_cmd exec /bin/bash -login /etc/X11/Xsession %session

Well now I can login as normal user from slim i,m glad I know a bit about prompt even running fluxbox gui.

The menu thingy never seems to update I have installed waterfox using now , geany , thunar (synaptic 0.84.8) work too. But I have to start the programs from the menu thingy call bash which is xterm none of the new programs appear in the menu. But they start just fine from xterm with the & disown on the end so I can close the prompt without the program closing as will. Which I don’t mind it is more fun.

But i think what may have helped with slim logon trouble was synaptic as it install PolicyKit ???

I’ll be back tomorrow.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

You probably need to install menu

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.