antiX 19.1 core kde/plasma build series

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks antiX 19.1 core kde/plasma build series

• This topic has 18 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jul 24-9:31 am by masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracledolphin_oracle

I just finished up building a KDE/plasma desktop spin using antiX 19.1 core. The build is totally done on a live-usb. The series covers a brief tour of the antiX 19.1 cli control center, cli-aptiX, and the process of installing the necessary packages. the remaster is used to consolidate all that into a new default filesystem, including the customized KDE desktop. And then we utilize the latest feature of the installer to keep those desktop changes when the /home/demo folder is present in the default filesystem linuxfs file.

series available here:

• This topic was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by anticapitalista. Reason: shrunk video
    masinickmasinick

Nice demo, Dolphin Oracle. It reminds me how far our infrastructure has come over the years. I created a customized antiX Core image using Debian Sid packages and the Xfce desktop environment many years ago, just after Core was introduced. It was surprising how well (and how long) it worked. I was able to use it until I finally decided to get rid of the old 32-bit systems I had been using. Since that time we’ve added a lot more tools and with flexible USB devices with as much capacity as many mechanical disks had a decade + ago, the things we can do are that much more creative and interesting. So your demonstration not only gives an excellent overview of what our software can now do, it also takes me back in time down memory lane. Thanks for the excellent work you do in developing, documenting, and demonstrating antiX capabilities.

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Too bad I am KDE dyslexic. Cool beans though. Nice job.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

XecureXecure

Hi, dolphin_oracle and thanks for such an easy to follow tutorial series. I decided to try it out myself and the result so far is very pleasing.

I would recommend to anyone who wants to use the Wifi in KDE (using the Network Manager), they should also install resolvconf package at the same time as the kde-standard installation.
    For those who have already installed KDE in their Live system and are having trouble setting up the WIFI using KDE’s Network Manager, make sure you follow dolphin_oracle’s second video in the series and comment out the wlan related lines in /etc/network/interfaces

I had trouble accessing the internet after correctly connecting to my Wireless Access Point using KDE’s Network manager interface. I discovered it was related to how the system resolved DNS connection (I could ping 8.8.8.8 but not google.com). The symlink for /etc/resolv.conf to /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf was not working because resolvconf was not installed.
    My solution was to temporarily link to a different file contained in /run/NetworkManager/, and then install resolvconf when my internet connection worked properly (I later realized I could have also used ceni to connect to the internet, but I will explain the process anyway).
    1. Delete the /etc/resolv.conf symlink
    sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf
    2. Create a new link to /run/NetworkManager/resolv.conf
    sudo ln -s /run/NetworkManager/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
    This should temporarily fix the problem and we should have internet access.
    3. Now install resolvconf
    sudo apt-get install resolvconf
    After this I was able to ping to any website and my wireless internet connection started working again after restarting.

Hope this helps.

Again, thanks to dolphin_oracle for his video tutorials.

Forum Admin

this is a good point. not all the kde-* packages bring in resolvconf. the version I installed in the video did if you use the –install-recommends apt switch.

building your own stuff is a great way to learn how the apt packaging system works. You can really get a feel for it.

christophechristophe

I just did this build yesterday. Fantastic!! Thanks, d_o!

And thanks to Xecure for the wifi fix!! I was pulling my hair out before I broke down and searched our forum….
    (I know. I know. I should have started here… )

Thanks @Xecure. This method works great in antiX-kde.Eventhough I used as in d_o video –install-recommends, resolvconf needs to be installed separately.
    I tried this method in antiX-19.1-sid-core-mate which uses ceni.
    Edited /etc/network/interfaces as d_o showed.
    Installed network-manager and network-manager-gnome.
    Followed @Xecure steps. resolvconf is installed already.
    After system restart sudo service network-manager restart returns: “network-manager unknown service”.
    Reinstalled nm without success.Any ideas?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Atlanelan.
    XecureXecure

I think mate doesn’t need this fix out of the box, as resolvconf gets already installed, but I am not sure.

After system restart sudo service network-manager restart returns: “network-manager unknown service”.

I think network-manager-gnome works differently. You need to add nm-applet to autostart in mate if not already there.

Try launching from terminal:
    nm-applet
    and see if there are any errors. I really don’t have the time to try an install on my system, so you will have to experiment. Worst case scenario is reinstalling.

Note: About services, in the future, try
    service --status-all
    To get a list of all available services. That way, you will know the names of all services, and if they are running.
    If network-manager isn’t there, purge network-manager and network-manager-gnome, autoclean, and then install them again.

I don’t know what else to do. If you still have trouble, create a new post and ask for help in this specific issue. Someone with mate experience might be able to help.

Thanks @Xecure. Will try as you suggested.

Hello. Help solve the problem. I downloaded through the package manager
    Desktop environment * KDE5 *. And now I don’t know where it was preserved and how to turn it on. help me please

XecureXecure

And now I don’t know where it was preserved and how to turn it on. help me please

Did you log out (as going to the login screen), and hit F1 button until repeatedly for changing desktop session? Does “KDE” or “plasma” not appear as one of the options?

Yes. KDE doesn’t show up there. the picture shows what I downloaded. how do i install it on my desktop?

Attachments:
    XecureXecure

No problem for me. I installed the exact same package from the package installer. The result after going through various options in login screen (hitting F1 until it appears):
    plasma-slim
    The problem is that it looks and works awefully on my VM. It cannot even load the kwin window manager. I think one needs to edit the plasma.desktop or add an autolaunch script for plasma+kwin or plasma+fluxbox, etc. I would recommend starting with core as dolphin_oracle did.

okay. thank

Forum Admin

Thanks @Xecure. This method works great in antiX-kde.Eventhough I used as in d_o video –install-recommends, resolvconf needs to be installed separately.
    Edited /etc/network/interfaces as d_o showed.
    Installed network-manager and network-manager-gnome.
    Followed @Xecure steps. resolvconf is installed already.
    Reinstalled nm without success.Any ideas?

it looks like the debian version of network-manager in sid no longer has the init script necessary to startup network-manger under sysVinit.

you could possibly copy the /etc/init.d/network-manager script from an earlier version, might still work. copy that init script to /etc/init.d and run

update-rc.d network-manager defaults

after you copy the script in. fair warning…I haven’t tried this and it may not work at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.