antix 19.2.1 32 bit, icewm, annoying graphic glitch

Forum Forums General Software antix 19.2.1 32 bit, icewm, annoying graphic glitch

• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated May 2-6:38 pm by marcelocripe.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    lubod

uname -a:
    Linux antix1 4.9.212-antix.1-486-smp #2 SMP Sat Feb 1 14:47:26 EET 2020 i686 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/debian_version

inxi -S

System:
      Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.9.212-antix.1-486-smp i686 bits: 32 
      Desktop: IceWM 1.6.5 
      Distro: antiX-19.2.1_386-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020

Posted for completeness, not that I think any it except perhaps icewm has any connection. 🙂

The fbxkb icon in the system tray on the right side of the taskbar shows an ugly grey or black rectangular border around the flag. See attached screenshot – ugly_boxed_flag.jpg.

I thought this was a problem with the theme, and found this post in google, from the old archived forum:
    https://antixlinux.com/forum-archive/solved-icewm-changing-colors-in-system-tray-t6775.html

Tried what it recommends, mainly changing:
    ColorDefaultTaskBar="#575757" in the file /usr/share/icewm/themes/My/Theme.theme to a value that matches the color of the other blue elements, logged out, rebooted, it simply never changes.
    Some posters in that thread say icewm simply ignores that setting, and it only happens with GTK based programs, while QT based ones work, thus a bug in icewm.
    A bug was filed with the icewm devs, along time ago. One explained in a complicated way why it isn’t their bug, but someone else’s, maybe GTK?, but never offered a solution or workaround.

So I ask has anyone managed to fix this, and how? Is it worth making a patch, and hosting a patched package in the antix repos, if the upstream icewm won’t fix?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by lubod.

Restore older computers to working order.
    Computers everyone else insists are obsolete and useless.

Current recordholder:
    Generic Pentium III 600 Mhz with 512Mb RAM and 10Gb HD
    Working on Cyrix M2 333 Mhz with 64Mb RAM and OS on IDE to SD card 4Gb

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

That is not a icewm exclusive problem. You will experience it with other WM, like JWM.

I also disliked the color background, and when I got fed up I simply stoped it from starting up and used the “Set System Keyboard Layout” from the Control Centre to change between keyboard layouts.

I am sorry I have no better solution. You could also install a different app to change keyboard layout that would host itself in the systray.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

lubod
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks Xecure.

I checked, and sure enough, it does the same thing in JWM. Interestingly, the border is thinner and less obnoxious in Fluxbox, but I wanted to use IceWM, both for some useful features, and because I have a theme I’m trying to refine.

In AntiX 17, there was another tray applet called XXkb, which may work better, but it doesn’t appear to be in the version 19 repo. Off to look for alternatives. 🙂

Restore older computers to working order.
    Computers everyone else insists are obsolete and useless.

Current recordholder:
    Generic Pentium III 600 Mhz with 512Mb RAM and 10Gb HD
    Working on Cyrix M2 333 Mhz with 64Mb RAM and OS on IDE to SD card 4Gb

AR
    Helpful
    Up

In AntiX 17, there was another tray applet called XXkb, which may work better, but it doesn’t appear to be in the version 19 repo. Off to look for alternatives.

I use gxkb instead of fbxkb.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I’ll take a look.
    In what ways do you think it is better for use on antiX?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

AR
    Helpful
    Up

When I first time dist-upgraded fresh installed antix 19.0 full 64 bit, fbxkb could not run at all (with some error which I don’t remember now). So I found gxkb as alternative. Now fbxkb works fine, but like @lubod I hate this ugly border around the country flag. gxkb has not such border and functionally is similar to fbxkb.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by AR.
    Lubo
    Helpful
    Up

When I first time dist-upgraded fresh installed antix 19.0 full 64 bit, fbxkb could not run at all (with some error which I don’t remember now). So I found gxkb as alternative. Now fbxkb works fine, but like @lubod I hate this ugly border around the country flag. gxkb has not such border and functionally is similar to fbxkb.

If it has not been done already, I vote to permanently replace fbxkb and the rest with gxkb in future releases of AntiX. If it is maintained and functions as intended of course. Which it is and does so far. 🙂

P.S. I am lubod, but have lost access to my old account.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Lubo.

Mr. Lubo Diakov
    email: zr90004@gmail.com

oops
    Helpful
    Up

In AntiX 17, there was another tray applet called XXkb, which may work better, but it doesn’t appear to be in the version 19 repo. Off to look for alternatives.

I had the same cosmetic problem, thank you for the hint, (I will use “gxkb &” instead “fbxkb-start &” too).

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by oops.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

gxkb is missing many flags – eg Brazilian.
    marcelo would not be happy

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

oops
    Helpful
    Up

” gxkb is missing many flags – eg Brazilian. … marcelo would not be happy ”
    Hello,
    … Ok, I better see the “why” now.

oops
    Helpful
    Up

FI:
    The extra flags can be put here (24×24 pixels):
    /usr/share/gxkb/flags/

# OR here: Custom flags support
    Put your flag images in .local/share/gxkb/flags in PNG format
    with the names like <country code>.png, e.g. us.png, ru.png, ua.png
    and the sizes of 24×24 pixels each

The list of flags for v0.9.0

$ gxkb -v
    gxkb version 0.9.0
    Features:
    AppIndicator support - Yes
    Icon cache - Yes

$ ls
    am.png  cz.png         ee.png  fr.png  gr.png  is.png  lt.png  pl.png  ru.png  sk.png  us.png
    bg.png  cz_qwerty.png  es.png  gb.png  hr.png  it.png  lv.png  pt.png  se.png  sr.png  uz.png
    by.png  de.png         fi.png  ge.png  hu.png  kz.png  no.png  ro.png  si.png  ua.png  zz.png

https://github.com/zen-tools/gxkb/blob/master/README.md

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by oops.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I know, but that is far from ideal for out of the box set up.

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

One possible suggestion:

/usr/share/flags-common already has flags (in [langcode].png, 24×24 format) at least in antiX 19. If needed, just copy those files to .local/share/gxkb/flags

P.

oops
    Helpful
    Up

One possible suggestion:

/usr/share/flags-common already has flags (in [langcode].png, 24×24 format) at least in antiX 19. If needed, just copy those files to .local/share/gxkb/flags

P.

Good idea.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Brazil flags in Fluxbox, IceWM and JWM.
    Bandeiras do Brasil no Fluxbox, IceWM e JWM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.