AntiX 19.3 i386 base

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX AntiX 19.3 i386 base

Tagged: 

• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Dec 9-7:56 pm by Anonymous.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    MicheLike

Prima di tutto porgo un saluto a tutti gli iscritti. Sono un nuovo utente che si affaccia per la prima volta a Linux. la ragione stà nel fatto che avendo rispolverato un vecchio netbook di cui posto le caratteristiche:Acer AOA 110-AW moello ZG5 CPU intel atom processore N270 512 RAM DDR2 Storage 8GB SSD Lan 10/100 base Wireless 802.11.Dato la scarsezza di prestazioni, con alcune difficoltà sono riuscito ad installare la versione di Linux Antix 19.3 i386 base, e devo dire che gira abbastanza bene. E’ un Netbook destinato a mia nipote (6 anni)che vorrei iniziasse i primi approcci con questo sistema operativo. Purtroppo per non combinare guai all’inizio vorrei inserire una password (oltre a quella di root) per fare in modo che il menù che viene lanciato col tasto destro del mouse non si apra se non inserendo la password stessa.I programmi che interessano a lei ho fatto in modo che potesse lnnciarli con vari collegamenti sul Desktop.Scusate per la lunga spiegazione ma era doveroso farvi capire il problema.Se qualcuno frà voi esperti vorrà aiutarmi lo ringrazio.Saluti e auguri di Buon Natale!

Anonymous

via translate.google.com

First of all, I extend a greeting to all members. I am new to Linux for the first time. the reason lies in the fact that having dusted off an old netbook whose features are: Acer AOA 110-AW moello ZG5 CPU intel atom processor N270 512 RAM DDR2 Storage 8GB SSD Lan 10/100 base Wireless 802.11. some difficulties I managed to install the Linux Antix 19.3 i386 base version, and I must say it runs pretty well. It is a Netbook intended for my niece (6 years old) that I would like to start the first approaches with this operating system. Unfortunately, in order not to cause trouble at the beginning I would like to enter a password (in addition to the root one) to make sure that the menu that is launched with the right mouse button does not open unless by entering the password itself. I made sure that he could lnciar them with various shortcuts on the Desktop. Sorry for the long explanation but it was necessary to make you understand the problem. If someone among you experts would like to help me thank you.

BobC

It is probably possible, but maybe a better solution already exists somewhere else with a distro oriented for kids unless you are willing and able to set it up for him. I would expect if you try this it will take you some time and testing to get it all correct. I also wonder why you don’t start with the full version instead of base.

After installing, you could create a new user id and password for her.

Then as root, in his /home/.icewm folder you could change her preferences and keys files to turn off all the system menus and start menu and keys to access unwanted options, but leave the logout menu. You would need to remove everything but the help section of the main menu and save it.

You would then login as her to test it and make sure she can only access what you want her to.

PS: If you were already familiar with the system and menus and changing the configurations this would be more possible, but it might be difficult for someone new to accomplish.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by BobC.

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

Xecure

Expanding on BobC’s idea, I think the best solution would be to manually edit the right-click menu instead of blocking it with a password. Customize the right-click menu for your child to only launch what you want it to launch.
            As BobC suggests, create another account for yourself where you have the complete menu. This way, the child’s user account has a limited menu and the “Admin” (yourself) account is the “full” version. Have the child account to autologin and you access the Admin account by login out and manually login in to it from the login menu.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
            General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

BobC

Xecure, yes, the right click menu that comes up is the menu file itself, so my thought was to leave the help options in the file so it would find that file to display and not the generic full menu instead. With only 512 mb, the machine is very limited on RAM so it might be wise to use a minimum desktop and add the desired options onto the toolbar to click from there instead of the desktop. That would probably save 40 or 50 mb of memory.

PS: if we have anyone reading this that knows both english and italian, if you could, please check how google translates it to verify it will make sense :)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by BobC.

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

userzero

Puede ocultar ese menú (click derecho sobre el escritorio) editando el archivo “/home/username/.icewm/preferences”, agregue “UseRootButtons=0”

Puede ocultar la barra de tareas con,

#Show task bar
                ShowTaskBar=0 # 0/1

ICEwm por default lanza el menu principal, al presionar la tecla Windows, puede cambiar este comportamiento con,

### Support win95 keyboard keys (Penguin/Meta/Win_L,R shows menu)
                Win95Keys=0 # 0/1

You can hide that menu (right click on the desktop) by editing the file “/home/username/.icewm/preferences”, add “UseRootButtons=0”.

You can hide the taskbar with,

#Show task bar
                ShowTaskBar=0 # 0/1

ICEwm by default launches the main menu, by pressing the Windows key, you can change this behavior with,

### Support win95 keyboard keys (Penguin/Meta/Win_L,R shows menu)
                Win95Keys=0 # 0/1

userzero

Menú -> Aplicaciones -> Sistema -> Centro de Control -> Escritorio -> Editar los ajustes de ICEwm -> preferences

Menu -> Applications -> System -> Control Center -> Desktop -> Edit ICEwm settings -> preferences

Anonymous

@MicheLIke, password protected access to the window manager menu is not possible.

@everyone
                    We might instead achieve a “kiosk” by overlaying the desktop and presenting a limited set of launcher icons.

xlunch -d –noprompt
                    screenshots http://xlunch.org/ and http://linuxx.info/xlunch/
                    While running, a user would not easily (at least not accidentally) “escape” the playpen environment. The user — or YOU, while testing or while performing administration//maintenance — could Ctrl+Alt+F6 switch to another virtual console, login then “killall xlunch” and “chvt 7” to return to graphical session… or type “killall xlunch” via a geany terminal pane or similar.

xlunch has not been packaged for debian.
                    http://github.com/Tomas-M/xlunch
                    FWIW, it compiled & ran successfully when tested it a year ago on antiX17.
                    The project provides a helper script to autocreate a config file containing a list of .desktop launchers. A sysadmin would (could) copy the config file to user(s) home directory, curating the list to present (to each user) only selected items… then place a line “xlunch -d –noprompt&” into the user’s ~/.startup file.

MicheLike

Buonasera, ringrazio tutti coloro che mi hanno dato supporto con diverse soluzioni che prenderò in considerazione e cercherò di trarre le conclusioni. In seguito farò sapere se avrò risolto il problema. Di nuovo grazie a tutti per l’interessamento e la sollecitudine con cui mi avete risposto.
                      MicheLiKe

userzero
                        userzero

I can add the> _ / usr / share / applications / antix / directory, but there are a lot of unwanted * .desktop, :-)

Anonymous

manually edit the right-click menu instead of blocking it with a password.

I seldom use icewm & just noticed today that it offers a choice of which portions of the overall menu will be displayed. For instance, we can easily (0/1) toggle whether or not the Applications item (and its submenus) will be displayed. Some of the top-level menu entries are read from the ~/.icewm/toolbar file… but renaming or deleting this file still results in 2 items being presented: “Terminal” and “Web Browser”. For a “kiosk -like” curated desktop, easy access to “Terminal” is probably undesirable (OP mentioned “in order not to cause trouble”).

As a separate consideration, regardless which window manager we might choose (and probably even if an overlay {xlunch, nwg-launchers} is displayed), the curator would need to cull the stock set of global keybinds (aka “shortcut keys”, or “hotkeys”).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.