antiX-19.3 is the winner!

• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Mar 18-10:22 pm by roland.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Came across this while doing my best to avoid covid-19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_96ir8oGqiM

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

Excellent! Finally someone gives this distribution recognition and credit for what it does so well!

Brian Masinick

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Even though the video is in a language that I don’t understand, the way the author organized the data for each test of several Linux distributions in mini tables, was very easy to understand.

This is the result of a long work …

Congratulations to the entire antiX team!

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Mesmo o vídeo estando em um idioma que eu não compreendo, a forma como autor organizou em mini tabelas os dados de cada teste de várias distribuições Linux, ficou muito fácil de compreender.

Este é o resultado um longo trabalho…

Parabéns a toda equipe do antiX!

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

XecureXecure

Congratulations!
    I watch this video and the original antiX 19 review for this under 900MBs series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQudkciR6HQ
    As all tests were done on a Virtual Machine, the reviewer didn’t analyze (and probably didn’t know of) the live USB experience with antiX. Only the slax and maybe one of the *pups reviews did explore the live USB experience.

The comparison was good, but the exploration was too shallow (the reviewer spent too much time trying to figure out xmms and didn’t open once the control centre).

One of the puppylinux flavors received demerits due to how many programs preinstalled vs “surprisingly high” memory consumption.

various “pupmodes” exist and (I’m guessing) the default mode was equivalent to our “toram”.
    The neglect of this “reviewer” to take the time to understand/change/mention that detail represents a disservice to the puppylinux devs as well as the (200 so far, and counting) folks viewing the video.

ps:
    Par for the course, this reviewer didn’t care/notice/mention
    which of these several candidates strip the content of
    /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/man from their distribution(s).

Found a new in the plastic bubble 80 GB Hitachi 2.5″ IDE/PATA laptop hdd (7200 rpm) on the cheap shelf at the LCS (Local Computer Shop) so I bought it and replaced the 4200 rpm slug of a hdd that was in my 2004 vintage IBM Thinkpad G40 laptop (3 GHz P4 CPU, 2 GB RAM). Took the opportunity to install antiX 19.3 full version 19.3 (32 bit). The old IBM was noticeably faster after the new installation and everything ran perfectly “out of the box” so to speak … very impressed with antiX version 19.3. AC has hit the baseball out of the park on this one.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Minux1.

@minux1: I agree with you completely; antiX continues to be the finest distribution for those who have older hardware and especially those who also have an interest in tinkering with the software.

While antiX works great as is, if you are interested in exploring and customizing your system you will experience the additional pleasure of using antiX because it has some of the best tools for modifying and customizing both the appearance and the features of the system.

I welcome you to the community and encourage you to share your efforts with us as you are able to do that.

Warm greetings from me on behalf of the antiX forum.

Brian Masinick

Any reviewer who reviews a large number of systems is almost certain to miss a significant number of features of most distributions unless they spent days, weeks, or months with every system and go through an exhaustive list of tests.

I appreciate that the antiX distribution was listed high.

As far as Puppy Linux is concerned I think that the reviewer should be clear on what the test criteria are. Puppy Linux is among the best in some ways and may be frustrating to others, but an honest evaluation could say the same thing about many distributions. antiX is very lean, efficient and fast, but the critics *could* complain about new user simplicity compared to Linux Mint, but Mint could be heavily criticized for memory use and overhead.

These are just a few examples.

The truth is that all of the distributions that I mentioned are very good at many things, but each of them have use cases that fit their intended audience. Explanation of the rating system would make the conclusions and expectations more obvious.

Perhaps rating a group of distributions in 3-5 categories and explaining the criteria would at least explain the bias and the ratings.

Still, it’s nice to see antiX mentioned in a favorable review.

Brian Masinick

rolandroland

I’ve been an antiX user for quite a few years now, starting with Luddite 13.1 because I went round in circles trying to get rival distributions to my liking (or even just installed) on my older and castoff equipment.

I used to remain a release or two behind the latest so I wasn’t troubled too much by new problems already resolved on my current release. Then I realised that inevitably as antiX was enhanced and moved through the releases and updates, it got slightly fatter and slower and began to overwhelm my ancient PCs. I well recollect not being able to install a release of 16 because it required a dvd drive instead of a cd, something I didn’t then have.

But I also realised that antiX was turning into a very satisfactory distribution, with fast capabilities on minimal hardware, with plenty of software available to install at the drop of a hat, and solid support available from this forum and plenty of historical problems solved and recorded to look back at when needed.

So I recently took the trouble to take a major hardware step forwards and upwards, and went for the latest release, 19.3, which has proved to be all I could have hoped or expected from it, I haven’t looked at any rival distributions for years now and probably shall not do so again, because I’m sure I would be disappointed. 19.3 has certainly arrived!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.