antiX-19.3 (Manolis Glezos) released

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19.3 (Manolis Glezos) released

• This topic has 55 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated Dec 5-7:24 pm by userzero.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

All new isos are bug-fix/upgrades/improvements of antiX-19 sysvinit/runit series.

No need to download if using antiX-19(.x).

antiX-19.3 released.

Mirrors may take a while to sync.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Thanks, anticapitalista. I will take it for a spin this weekend and replace all my isos with the new versions.

When I have time I will add it to the wiki aswell. And if I have even more free time, I will try making a video.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks, anticapitalista. I will take it for a spin this weekend and replace all my isos with the new versions.

When I have time I will add it to the wiki aswell. And if I have even more free time, I will try making a video.

It’s OK to do this, especially if you want to provide additional testing to make sure that the latest version is a good update without any software regression. However, please also note that it’s unnecessary to download this update if you already have working software.

I may grab a copy just in case there are questions or concerns but I already have two installed instances of antiX on my primary system and another one on an old system, plus quite a few recent USB instances and even some OLD CD and DVD versions of older systems, so for me it’s not required, it’s more to be helpful for others if necessary.

Brian Masinick

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for constantly improving on this already nearly flawless OS, anticapitalista…
    Is there a more detailed “changes log” we can take a look at (other than what’s in the announcement)?
    Tiny but greatly appreciated changes- the default calendar looks much better, and the “battery” item on conky could be useful for laptop users 🙂

EDIT:
    besides “antiX Wifi Switch” I noticed the menu > internet now includes “Modem Manager”
    Does the newest version come, OOTB with that script that allows IceWM to memory window position and size? (Sorry, I don’t recall it’s name)

EDIT 2:
    2 very minor UI suggestions (I know, it’s a matter of personal taste, and anticapitalist has the final say, as always):
    -Because desktop and toolbar icons are good for newbies, like someone commented before on the forum once before: remove the root file manager from the toolbar, it’s dangerous in newbies hands, that don’t really get what it does. You can replace it with something a newbie could need, like, for example- antiX updater, since the apt-notifier seems not to be presented by default now (and that is nice, in my opinion, because it’s a waste of RAM, let users activate that if they want to…).
    -Also, something I realized while tweaking with the menu- the “update menu” entry could (should?) be moved to the applications menu, since it updates that submenu- and that also saves precious space on an already overcrowded menu first layer… (I’m not critizing that- the menu come with everything anyone can need!)

P.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Does the newest version come, OOTB with that script that allows IceWM to memory window position and size? (Sorry, I don’t recall it’s name)

I was going to start working (but got sidetracked by other things) on a remake of the icewm control centre (original here: https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/icewmcc-antix) and ask BobC to help out if possible, but there are too many things going on right now I cannot alocate a good amount of time to this project. Maybe in a month or two I can start looking into it if someone hasn’t already forked it and started updating it. I am sure this can help in the future.

It’s OK to do this, especially if you want to provide additional testing to make sure that the latest version is a good update without any software regression. However, please also note that it’s unnecessary to download this update if you already have working software.

Thanks for the reminder, masinick. I was thinking of experimenting with the new isos in VMs and replacing my “USB for testing” live systems with the new base one so it is easier to help other users when they encounter problems.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: change masinic to masinick
    ile
    Helpful
    Up

hello anticapitalista
    up and runit

System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.9.235-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 
               Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.7 dm: SLiM 1.3.6 Distro: antiX-19.3-runit_x64-full Manolis Glezos 15 October 2020 
               base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 
    Machine:   Type: Desktop System: HP-Pavilion product: AY022AA-ABA p6330f v: N/A serial: <root required> 
               Chassis: Hewlett-Packard type: 3 serial: <root required> 
               Mobo: MSI model: IONA v: 1.0 serial: <root required> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 5.15 date: 06/25/2010 
    CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i3 530 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Nehalem rev: 2 
               L2 cache: 4096 KiB bogomips: 23409 
               Speed: 1333 MHz min/max: 1200/2933 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1333 2: 1333 3: 1200 4: 1200 
               Flags: acpi aperfmperf apic arat arch_perfmon bts clflush cmov constant_tsc cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 
               dtherm dts ept est flexpriority fpu fxsr ht kaiser lahf_lm lm mca mce mmx monitor msr mtrr nonstop_tsc 
               nopl nx pae pat pbe pdcm pebs pge pni popcnt pse pse36 rdtscp rep_good sep ss sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 
               ssse3 syscall tm tm2 tpr_shadow tsc vme vmx vnmi vpid xtopology xtpr 
    Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 v: kernel 
               bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0042 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Desktop v: 2.1 Mesa 18.3.6 direct render: Yes 
    Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: r8169 
               v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d800 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
    Drives:    Local Storage: total: 126.71 GiB used: 1.27 GiB (1.0%) 
    Weather:   Temperature: 14 C (57 F) Conditions: Overcast clouds Wind: from E at 3.6 m/s (13 km/h, 8 mph) 
               Cloud Cover: 75% Humidity: 87% Dew Point: 11.9 C (53 F) Pressure: 1018.6 mb (34 in) 
               Location: Washington, D.C., DC, US, 20500 Current Time: Fri 16 Oct 2020 12:53:57 PM EDT 
               Observation Time: 2020-10-16 12:35:00 (America/New_York -0400) Source: WeatherBit.io 
    Info:      Processes: 177 Uptime: 12h 24m Memory: 7.67 GiB used: 492.0 MiB (6.3%) Init: runit v: N/A runlevel: 2 
               default: 5 Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0 alt: 8 Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 running in: roxterm inxi: 3.0.36 

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hello anticapitalista,

I thank you for making available the newest version of antiX Linux.

I will download the new ISOs Full versions.

Long live antiX!

(or better …)

Eternal life to antiX!

Thank you very much

marcelocripe

———-

Olá anticapitalista,

Eu gradeço por disponibilizar a mais nova versão do antiX Linux.

Vou baixar as novas ISOs versões Full.

Vida longa ao antiX!

(ou melhor …)

Vida eterna ao antiX!

Muito Obrigado

marcelocripe

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I have also updated the Debian sid based net and core versions (sysvinit and runit, 32 and 64 arch).

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I’m going to grab one of them to have handy for a USB and in case I need to rebuild; otherwise I just update in place.

I’ll report back on any feedback and keep at least one of the variations on hand.

I chose the image antiX-19.3-runit_x64-full.iso to download; just finished the download and copy to USB; I’ll try it out now.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I’m logged in, running from antiX-19.3-runit_x64-full.iso using Connman and operating from the USB. So far so good. Ran check for updates; this is new enough that there are not any updates since the image creation.

inxi -Fxz
    System:
      Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.9.235-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 
      compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: IceWM 1.8.3 
      Distro: antiX-19.3-runit_x64-full Manolis Glezos 15 October 2020 
      base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 
    Machine:
      Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 5558 v: 01 serial: <filter> 
      Mobo: Dell model: 086DKN v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI [Legacy]: Dell 
      v: A04 date: 08/06/2015 
    Battery:
      ID-1: BAT0 charge: 33.9 Wh condition: 33.9/41.4 Wh (82%) 
      model: Samsung SDI DELL 07G07587587 status: Full 
    CPU:
      Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i7-5500U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
      arch: Broadwell rev: 4 L2 cache: 4096 KiB 
      flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
      bogomips: 19154 
      Speed: 2562 MHz min/max: 500/3000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2562 2: 2406 
      3: 2448 4: 2516 
    Graphics:
      Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 vendor: Dell driver: N/A bus ID: 00:02.0 
      Device-2: NVIDIA GK208M [GeForce 920M] vendor: Dell GK208BM driver: N/A 
      bus ID: 08:00.0 
      Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: vesa resolution: 1368x768~N/A 
      OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 256 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.6 
      direct render: Yes 
    Audio:
      Device-1: Intel Broadwell-U Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel 
      v: kernel bus ID: 00:03.0 
      Device-2: Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio vendor: Dell 
      driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
      Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.235-antix.1-amd64-smp 
    Network:
      Device-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: f040 
      bus ID: 06:00.0 
      IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
      Device-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet 
      vendor: Dell RTL810xE driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 
      bus ID: 07:00.0 
      IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> 
    Drives:
      Local Storage: total: 945.83 GiB used: 247.2 MiB (0.0%) 
      ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB 
      size: 931.51 GiB 
      ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Cruzer Glide 
      size: 14.32 GiB 
    Partition:
      ID-1: / size: 5.24 GiB used: 247.2 MiB (4.6%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
      ID-2: swap-1 size: 7.91 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2 
    Sensors:
      System Temperatures: cpu: 60.0 C mobo: N/A sodimm: 38.0 C 
      Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2200 
    Info:
      Processes: 171 Uptime: 7m Memory: 7.78 GiB used: 536.3 MiB (6.7%) 
      Init: runit runlevel: 2 Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 
      inxi: 3.0.36 

Brian Masinick

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I remember working on that, but don’t recall the end result. I’ll have to look on the machine I was working on at the time. Seems to me Moddit was involved with that one. I recall that I had programmed a key to remember the size and position, but someone else had a different way to trigger saving it.

I was going to start working (but got sidetracked by other things) on a remake of the icewm control centre (original here: https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/icewmcc-antix) and ask BobC to help out if possible, but there are too many things going on right now I cannot alocate a good amount of time to this project. Maybe in a month or two I can start looking into it if someone hasn’t already forked it and started updating it. I am sure this can help in the future.

I hadn’t see that before. I’m trying to visualize what it would look like. I guess I’ll have to try it and see. Back then, IceWM didn’t have the Preferences option with the ability to change the settings. That capability isn’t really complete currently, but it’s an improvement over needing to do everything by hand via editor.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I see an antiX Updater and yad color – you fine people (BobC and PPC) may have worked on them.

I also see an effort by Xecure to select either Connman or Ceni as network manager (to minimize conflicts between the two tools.
    These three tools are quite useful.

Brian Masinick

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

First, thanks for selecting another respectable name for antiX 19.3.
    Just a question regarding antiX forum maintenance: Is this not high time to replace the outdated M. Franco’s designation in antiX forum’s core section with one of these respectable names – either Hannie Schaft or Manolis Glezos? Hardly anyone is running antiX 19.0 after all…

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

First, thanks for selecting another respectable name for antiX 19.3.
    Just a question regarding antiX forum maintenance: Is this not high time to replace the outdated M. Franco’s designation in antiX forum’s core section with one of these respectable names – either Hannie Schaft or Manolis Glezos? Hardly anyone is running antiX 19.0 after all…

No, but I’ll add the other names. All are equally ‘respectable’ IMO.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for constantly improving on this already nearly flawless OS, anticapitalista…
    Is there a more detailed “changes log” we can take a look at (other than what’s in the announcement)?
    Tiny but greatly appreciated changes- the default calendar looks much better, and the “battery” item on conky could be useful for laptop users 🙂

EDIT:
    besides “antiX Wifi Switch” I noticed the menu > internet now includes “Modem Manager”

EDIT 2:
    2 very minor UI suggestions (I know, it’s a matter of personal taste, and anticapitalista has the final say, as always):
    -Because desktop and toolbar icons are good for newbies, like someone commented before on the forum once before: remove the root file manager from the toolbar, it’s dangerous in newbies hands, that don’t really get what it does. You can replace it with something a newbie could need, like, for example- antiX updater, since the apt-notifier seems not to be presented by default now (and that is nice, in my opinion, because it’s a waste of RAM, let users activate that if they want to…).
    -Also, something I realized while tweaking with the menu- the “update menu” entry could (should?) be moved to the applications menu, since it updates that submenu- and that also saves precious space on an already overcrowded menu first layer… (I’m not criticizing that- the menu come with everything anyone can need!)

P.

Great suggestions PPC! Anything we can do to make the default user experience easier for our new friends will be appreciated, especially when we can do it “lean and mean” style – that is, very efficient, yet usable without consuming huge chunks of memory and CPU. Loving the collaboration on this release. The couple of extra MB consumed has been done with care and this is our most usable release yet!

For those who have more resources, the MX Linux versions from the “other side” of our “family” are very good too. They’re not as lean as we are, but they have very good stability and solid usability. They also run on “aging hardware”, though they won’t age back 10+ years without “feeling” the extra resources they consume compared to us, but they are much more efficient than Ubuntu, openSUSE, and many other distributions, with thoughtful care given to the applications chosen, well designed and conceived, another distro worth high praise. Hats off to BOTH antiX Linux and MX Linux!

PPC, thanks again for your efforts, and thanks to anticapitalista, skidoo, Dave, BobC, Xecure, and everyone else who has made helpful suggestions, contributed scripts, tools, feedback, and artistic skills. Thanks also to all who have helped in any capacity to get this work done. Everything from the suggestions, testing, code, and helpfulness is appreciated. Thank you antiX community!

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.