antiX-19.3 (Manolis Glezos) released

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19.3 (Manolis Glezos) released

• This topic has 55 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated Dec 5-7:24 pm by userzero.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    PPC
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Hi, all…

I’m testing 19.3 runit 64bits ” live”on virtualbox- it’s something otherworldy: if I boot into “min-fluxbox” – running the command “free -h” on a terminal says my idle RAM usage is only 81mb… If I start a wallpaper and run tint2 (that I can configure to show a volume icon and display CPU and RAM usage), RAM usage is still only 92Mb!- I know running “live” cuts a few services… but even so, a full fledged 64bts Debian OS with a gorgeous interface (well, as gorgeous as it can be) for less than 100 of RAM? What dark magic is this???

P.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by PPC.
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

If you can believe it, perhaps about ten years ago I ran some memory usage statistics on a light antiX distribution at the time and came up with three window manager configurations around 60 MB.

I believe that IceWM won the contest by about 1 MB, checking in at 58 MB.

I’ve gone back a couple of releases but I can’t equal those very light numbers from that period in time. You did REALLY WELL with your configuration! Congratulations!

Brian Masinick

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

PPC wrote:
    I’m testing 19.3 runit 64bits

PPC,

This RAM consumption data is fantastic!

At Sourceforge I was able to find antiX-19.3_x64-full.iso, antiX-19.3_386-full.iso, antiX-19.3_x64-base.iso, antiX-19.3_386-base.iso, antiX-19.3_x64-core.iso, antiX-19.3_386-core.iso, antiX-19.3_x64-net.iso, antiX-19.3_386-net.iso, in addition to the sid, runit-sid, runit-buster and 4.19_kernel folders. I downloaded the full ISOs that are outside these folders.

I’m sorry for the lack of knowledge, but what ISO is this 19.3 runit 64bit?

Which or which of these other ISOS that are in these sid, runit-sid, runit-buster and 4.19_kernel folders do this “magic”?

I do not know the difference between the ISOs that are outside these folders and those that are inside.

Could you please explain to me what are the main differences between the full ISOs that are out and the full ISOs that are inside the sid, runit-sid, runit-buster and 4.19_kernel folders.

It may be that for lack of this information, I am not able to make antiX work after installing it on some extremely old computers.

Thankful.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

PPC wrote:
    I’m testing 19.3 runit 64bits

PPC,

Estes dados de consumo de memória RAM são fantásticos!

No Sourceforge eu consegui encontrar antiX-19.3_x64-full.iso, antiX-19.3_386-full.iso, antiX-19.3_x64-base.iso, antiX-19.3_386-base.iso, antiX-19.3_x64-core.iso, antiX-19.3_386-core.iso, antiX-19.3_x64-net.iso, antiX-19.3_386-net.iso, além das pastas sid, runit-sid, runit-buster e 4.19_kernel. Eu baixei as ISOs full que estãio fora destas pastas.

Me desculpem pela falta de conhecimento, mas que ISO é esta 19.3 runit 64bits?

Qual ou quais destas outras ISOS que estão nestas pastas sid, runit-sid, runit-buster e 4.19_kernel fazem esta “magia”?

Eu não conheço a diferença entre as ISOs que estão fora destas pastas e as que estão dentro.

Por favor, poderiam me explicar quais são as principais as diferenças entre as ISOs full que estão fora e as ISOs full que estão dentro das pastas sid, runit-sid, runit-buster e 4.19_kernel.

Pode ser que seja por falta destas informações, que eu não esteja conseguindo fazer o antiX funcionar após a instalar em alguns computadores extremamente antigos.

Grato.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Portuguê do Brasil)

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I tried live with min-fluxbox.

Yup. you win by a long shot. Best I can do now is 153 MB.

Most of the time I get around 180-190 MB right after starting up.

I had a Dell Dimension 4100 desktop environment back then. With a Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop today I can’t get anything near there even live.

You are doing really well with your computer!

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

runit is another image that starts the runit scheduler instead of the sysvinit scheduler.

It’s available in 32 and 64 bit forms unless I am mistaken.

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Look in the runit folder. Does that work, do you find runit images?

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

runit-buster folder has images for 19.3, such as https://mirrors.evowise.com/mxlinux-iso/ANTIX/Final/antiX-19/runit-buster/antiX-19.3-runit_x64-full.iso
    and others like it.

Brian Masinick

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

I’m sorry for the lack of knowledge, but what ISO is this 19.3 runit 64bit?

Which or which of these other ISOS that are in these sid, runit-sid, runit-buster and 4.19_kernel folders do this “magic”?

On sourceforge it’s in the runit-buster folder , download antiX-19.3-runit_x64-full.iso , scroll down it’s the fourth last line

Could you please explain to me what are the main differences between the full ISOs that are out and the full ISOs that are inside

Looks complicated but isn’t.Outside the folders are the “normal” downloads (init =sysvinit,sources are stable, kernel is 4.9) .

In the folders are what the folders called : In the sid-folder are the sid-versions
    In runit-buster folder are the runit stable versions
    or if you want the 4.19 kernel, take the 4.19 folder and so on blabla

The four folders with the special versions are also available if you chose one of the download mirrors from the download-side.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Caprea,

I’m sorry, but I didn’t understand everything.

So, if I understand something, in the folder 4.19_kernel, we find the newest version of antiX 19.3 with the kernel of the version of antiX 19.2

I found the following:

“The code name for the development version of Debian is sid, dubbed unstable. Most of the development work that is done on Debian is sent to this version. It will never be released, but its packages will propagate for the testing version (unstable) and then for the real version. ” at the link: https://www.debian.org/releases/sid/index.pt.html

The Sid term, I really had no idea it was the unstable version of Debian, I am learning …, every day …

The test or unstable versions I already know are not for me.

Already runit

“runit is a cross-platform Unix init scheme with service supervision, a replacement for sysvinit, and other init schemes. It runs on GNU / Linux, * BSD, MacOSX, Solaris, and can easily be adapted to other Unix operating systems. If runit runs for you on any other operating system, please let me know. ” at the link: http://smarden.org/runit/

Even reading the text above and other texts (translated by the online translator), they did not help me understand what the difference is and when to use the runit version or the “normal” versions (init = sysvinit).

The anticapitalista gave a tip at the link: https://antixlinux.com/blog/

“October 21, 2020 by anticapitalista
    All users should update to the latest kernels via Package Installer, synaptic or cli-aptiX.

5.8.16 (antiX-17, antiX-19, testing and sid)
    4.19.152 (antiX-17, antiX-19, testing and sid)
    4.9.240 (antiX-17, antiX-19, testing and sid)
    4.4.240 (antiX-17, antiX-19, testing and sid) ”

Which version has greater compatibility for hardware (old and new)? Or what is the advantage of using runit or as init?

Thank you.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Caprea,

Me desculpe, mas eu não entendi tudo.

Então, se eu entendi alguma coisa, na pasta 4.19_kernel, encontramos a versão mais nova do antiX 19.3 com kernel da versão do antiX 19.2

Eu encontrei o seguinte:

“O nome código para a versão de desenvolvimento do Debian é sid, apelidada de instável (unstable). A maior parte do trabalho de desenvolvimento que é feito no Debian é enviada para esta versão. Ela nunca será lançada, mas seus pacotes vão se propagar para a versão teste (testing) e então para a versão real.” no link: https://www.debian.org/releases/sid/index.pt.html

O Termo sid, eu realmente não tinha ideia que se tratava da versão instável (unstable) do Debian, estou aprendendo …, todo os dias …

As versões de testes ou instáveis eu já sei que não servem para mim.

Já runit

“runit is a cross-platform Unix init scheme with service supervision, a replacement for sysvinit, and other init schemes. It runs on GNU/Linux, *BSD, MacOSX, Solaris, and can easily be adapted to other Unix operating systems. If runit runs for you on any other operating system, please let me know.” no link: http://smarden.org/runit/

Mesmo lendo o texto acima e outros textos (traduzidos pelo tradutor online), não me ajudaram a entender qual é a diferença e quando usar a versão runit ou as versões “normais” (init = sysvinit).

O anticapitalista deu uma dica no link: https://antixlinux.com/blog/

“October 21, 2020 by anticapitalista
    All users should update to the latest kernels via Package Installer, synaptic or cli-aptiX.

5.8.16 (antiX-17, antiX-19, testing and sid)
    4.19.152 (antiX-17, antiX-19, testing and sid)
    4.9.240 (antiX-17, antiX-19, testing and sid)
    4.4.240 (antiX-17, antiX-19, testing and sid)”

Qual é a versão que possui maior compatibilidade para hardware (antigos e novos)? Ou qual é a vantagem de usar runit ou as init?

Obrigado.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Runit works fine but since this is confusing, stick to the stable version, either 32 or 64 bit, depending on your system.

Debian has three primary branches, stable, testing and unstable. Each branch also has a name taken from the children’s movie, Toy Story.

Correction:The current stable version is called Buster. The unstable version is always called Sid. The next release (Testing) is called Bullseye.

https://www.debian.org/releases/

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

Debian stable = buster V10
    Debian testing = bullseye V11
    Debian unstable = sid V12 now named Bookworm

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Koo.

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb , antiX-19.2.1-runit_x64-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 , 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Debian unstable = sid V12

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases
    Version 12 will be called Bookworm

Brian Masinick

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

LoL okey dokey Thanks for the info sid now has a name Bookworm

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb , antiX-19.2.1-runit_x64-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 , 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

LoL okey dokey Thanks for the info sid now has a name Bookworm

I’m getting overly technical about the details, but Bookworm is the name of a future release for Version 12. Sid is not Version 12 or any particular version, it is where new packages initially go until they have reached testing metrics according to the Debian standards, and then they go into the Testing repository to be further tested in preparation for the next release.

At the present time, it may appear that Sid = Bookworm, but actually the majority of the current Sid packages will, more than likely, be “promoted” into Testing once they reach the test criteria.

Also note that Testing doesn’t ALWAYS equal a particular release either; the name changes; at the present time, Buster is the current stable release, Bullseye is the current testing release and Sid (the “unstable” child from the Toy Story movie), is the name associated with the unstable release. Bookworm is currently two releases away, (current=10, next=11, then 12=Bookworm) with no real release date (only a very rough approximation of a release time frame).

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

So any word on Bullseye as far as progress and beta tests? The last alpha was 6 or 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.