antiX-19-a1-full (64 bit) available

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-a1-full (64 bit) available

This topic contains 90 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by PPC Jun 12-8:17 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Our first alpha build of the upcoming antiX-19 release, based on Debian Buster.

Get the iso from here

Changes from antiX-17:

* connman replaces wicd and is default. ceni still included.
    This means a faster boot with only a slight increase in RAM.
    The connman gui is included in the startup file, but not enabled (to keep RAM usage down).

* More up to date look via a ‘new’ icon them (numix-bevel plus additions).

* Still using the 4.9 kernel. 4.19 and 5.0 kernel versions easily installable.

* live grub rescue options (thanks to fehlix)

* Time-saver installer (thanks to AK-47)

* chroot-rescue added (thanks to BitJam)
    “These programs are meant to supplement the fehlix live rescue system. The main thing is these allow you to get into a system even if its initrd.img is broken. It also let’s you get into multiple systems without rebooting”.

* Various rox-filer right-click additions

* screenlight included (thanks to SamK)

* virtualbox-guest apps 6.0.6-dfsg-1

* synaptic without zenity dependency

* gksu and gexec included/updated (thanks to skidoo)

* persistence sizes increased and the persist menu F5 now includes p_static_root and f_static_root (thanks BitJam)

* Others

Please test and give feedback.

Post bugs here: Bugzilla

Known Issues:

* conky flashes when running IceWM (annoying)
    * antiX-gui-cli.sh: line 71 error (harmless) when setting up persistence/remastering
    * Once installed, resolv.conf warning (harmless)

Enjoy!

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

male
    male

conky flashes when running IceWM (annoying)

Conky doesn’t blink here.
    It is due to a setting in icewm, if conky is the only window on the desk (this window “asks” for “attention”) ?

Male is the capital of the Maldives and its wonderful people.

eugen-b
    eugen-b

Hi Anti and everybody else, too!
    I’ve booted the ISO from disk with Grub, from superficial testing all applications open in the main menu and in Control Centre, apart from two exceptions:
    – CC -> Hardware -> Alsamixer Equalizer ~ opens a terminal which then closes immediately. Alsamixer Equalizer opens fine from the main menu in a terminal window.
    – Main Menu -> Applications -> Internet -> Wicd Network Manager ~ doesn’t open anything, seems obsolete hence you switched to Connman.

$ inxi -Fxxxz
    System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.9.170-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 
               Desktop: IceWM 1.4.3.0~pre-20181030 dm: SLiM 1.3.4 Distro: antiX-19.a1_x64-full Marielle Franco 27 April 2019 
               base: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid 
    Machine:   Type: Desktop System: ASUS product: All Series v: N/A serial: <filter> 
               Mobo: ASUSTeK model: AM1I-A v: Rev X.0x serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 0801 date: 03/10/2016 
    CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Athlon 5370 APU with Radeon R3 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Jaguar rev: 1 
               L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
               flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 17600 
               Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/2200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 800 
    Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini [Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: radeon 
               v: kernel bus ID: 00:01.0 chip ID: 1002:9830 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: AMD KABINI (DRM 2.49.0 4.9.170-antix.1-amd64-smp LLVM 7.0.1) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.4 
               direct render: Yes 

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by eugen-b.
    Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    dolphin_oracle

if you are on intel hardware and you boot live and your backlight turns off, then you may need the following bootcode

i915.invert_brightness=1

happens on my lenovo s21e, but not on the lenovo thinkpad T530

also, the brightness control app works very nice.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by dolphin_oracle.
    Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    dolphin_oracle

on fluxbox, I’m not sure if I did something or not, but my applications menu vanished. using the “update menu” menu entry brought it back.

the only package I installed was a zoom deb file. I used

sudo apt install ./zoom_amd64.deb

for the install from a terminal

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    dolphin_oracle

on UEFI live boots, the default size for the persistence files aren’t shown.

they do show on the latest mx pre alphas, but they don’t have the latest antiX code yet.

Attachments:
    Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

on UEFI live boots, the default size for the persistence files aren’t shown.

they do show on the latest mx pre alphas, but they don’t have the latest antiX code yet.

Thanks d.o!

The problem is that my latest .xlat files didn’t make it into the initrd.

If you have my latest live-usb-maker and my latest Xlated-initrd repo, you could plug the live-usb into that machine and run:
    sudo ./live-usb-maker --initrd=../Xlated-initrd
    Where I’m assuming the directory with the latest live-usb-maker is side by side with the directory containing the Xlated-initrd repo.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

skidoo

noted: Bootmenu F1 helptext has not yet been updated to include descriptions of the newly-added persistence modes.

reproducible for me in VM:
    At bootmenu, press enter (just accept defaults) leads to ice+rox autlogin.
    Logout, then choose fluxbox and attempt to login as demo//demo.
    First attempt fails, and returns to the SLiM login screen. Second attempt succeeds.

Beyond “conky flashes” as described in Known issues,
    when switching Desktop }} Other desktops, iceWM workspace name labels wind up partially obscured

skidoo

and the rendering of the default font, as displayed in iceWM, is non-ideal (especially noticeable in characters with diagonal strokes, e.g. capital W)

I tried altering the size of the default font, tried medium vs full antialiasing… and could not achieve a satisfactory result. Possibly it’s only “non-ideal” to my eyes? My graphics hardware?

Upon switching to fluxbox, I cringed in reaction to the “improved” icons:

Given the status quo, I’m not favorably impressed.

overheard:

it’s impossible to make any consistent Linux distribution which will be usable for everyday work — if you make it usable, it’ll be inconsistent; if you make it consistent, it’ll become unusable.

skidoo

One favorable point of feedback: rox-filer does look beautiful under the new defaults.

^—– a missing curation/configuration detail: rox colors per filetype all black

? an asterisk within a speech bubble, vs a RED X, is a “usability improvement”

unable to theme spacefm and rox-filer via lxappearance to rid the painfully skinny gtk scrollbar
    and
    mousewheel is mostly ineffectual when attempting to scroll within the top-right pane of synaptic
    and
    clipboard manager is not autostarted by default
    and
    default (as ever, in antiX) single-click launch of items in file browser

ok, no further Negative Nellie feedback from me. I’m stepping off the train. Maybe I’ll pursue a gtk2-only respin or, more likely, rebase on somethinig other than debhat.

watsoccurring

Minor issue with uk repos before 10.30 uk time on a VM which operated fine last night, “anlx instead of antix”
    ukdebian.mirror.anlx.net/debian buster-updates InRelease
    ukdebian.mirror.anlx.net/debian buster InRelease

Resolved itself

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

skidoo – the icon set is awful on fluxbox, I agree.
    fluxbox must use png icons (or none) and there aren’t any ‘modern’ ones available.
    If anyone has a better suggestion, please post (with a picture if possible)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Anonymous

There’s a ‘toolbar’ file, pre-filled and commented out.
    Please have a look at its contents.
    (Faenza instead of Numix!)

Anonymous

… the rendering of the default font, as displayed in iceWM, is non-ideal …

The best font when it comes to legibility/readability is Intel’s Clear Sans.
    It was specially optimized for the low resolution screens (like eeePC).
    For “Sh*tputers”. Check the “Illinois” or “Ill1” test.

It’s not the prettiest though. Some characters ‘jump out’ like for example ‘I’, ‘l’, ‘/’ and so on but, that’s the catch — that’s why it’s the best legible.

Clear Sans
    Apache License, Version 2.0

Anonymous

* More up to date look via a ‘new’ icon theme (numix-bevel plus additions).

… I cringed in reaction to the “improved” icons …

It breaks the consistency.

Numix Bevel icon set is flat icon set that will look good on WD/DE that uses very big icons (== Gnome3).
    Icon set, gtk theme and the wallpaper are 1 (one == unity) and not 3 (three) things to consider.

You are using flat icon set, combined with ‘1997’ window-border-theme.
    The wallpaper is beautiful and completely wrong.

The most beautiful image != the most suitable wallpaper!
    (No, that’s not a matter of taste even if everybody can choose the wallpaper according to its own taste.)

If you want to make it ‘more modern’ looking, than you need to add another mouse cursors, another window frames and another set of wallpapers too.

It’s not supposed to be nice and it’s not supposed that you like it.
    It’s just supposed to be a simple example of ‘more modern’.
    Or … why is it not more modern now, than it was …

Breeze-cursor-theme Download for Linux (deb, rpm, all, i586, noarch, x86_64)
    https://pkgs.org/download/breeze-cursor-theme
    (Breeze, Breeze Snow & Breeze Amber are the most interesting ones.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.