antiX-19-a1-full (64 bit) available

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-a1-full (64 bit) available

This topic contains 90 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by PPC Jun 12-8:17 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

@ eugen-b

Before I proceed: It’s no secret that I’m not using antiX nor MX myself and, that I got here because I wanted to help antiX & MX get better (== consistent) look & feel (== usability).
    Second: I know many icon sets, ‘used them all + 1’ and am not pro/contra without a good reason (and, I’m not a fan or related to Sam Hewitt in any way). That said, I basically don’t care which icon set will be used in future antiX since it’ll not affect me but also, I care very much to help antiX and/or MX (and their users) to get (a) better (experience) if they want my help.

Your last four proposals would be very … ‘suboptimal’?

Dalisha is half-flat (flat with drop shadows), has a unique shape and it’s very ‘aggressive’ intrusive once implemented. Intrusive because of its (too) colorful mime type icons (the last row on the linked screenshot). Also, one would have to create many new, additional icons to fit it in antiX. No other icon set has anything to ‘borrow’ from.

EvoPop I know from Rosa Linux Gnome. It was a default for a short time. Very pretty, extremely incomplete — half of the icons I needed (and I need a very few) I had to make myself.

AwOken was one of the icon sets that also never had a proper icon for anything and it never worked for absolutely no one single Linux distribution without ‘getting hands dirty’ and since it also has very distinctive and unique icons, you can’t take something out of some other icon set to fix it easily. It’s also little bit old-fashioned because of shading.

NouveGnome is basically Black/White icon set (grey in grey). It’s usability is close to 0 (zero), it’s also shaded and it’s very hard on eyes if you don’t use ‘pitch black’ desktop. Dark (== almost black) theme with ‘something close to black’ wallpaper is something fine for ‘freaks ‘n’ fans’; absolute no-go from the usability point of view. Didn’t even look good on Manjaro i3 (‘Pitch Black Edition’) — even there, some third of the needed icons were in color and the rest was gray (and Manjaro shipped almost ‘naked’ at a time!).

Generally speaking, anything .png is dead for good and there are no new icon sets any more, old once are not getting maintained and there will be no new once any more since the technology is too primitive — they don’t scale and they’re huge in size compared to .svg.

Off topic but, might interest some: one icon set usually consists of 16, 22, 24, 32, 64, 96, 128 and 256 px sizes. Some other sizes might be there too. In case of .svg, you need exactly 2 (two) icons plus sym-links. Single .svg icon is much smaller in size compared to .png and you need only one for 16 ~ 24 and the another for 32 +. If you use .png, you need one of each — effective ‘weight’ of an complete icon set can get 10 or more times heavier. Also, with .svg, one can easily ‘produce’ own one by combining the parts of two or more existing ones — impossible with .png.

Now Paper …

Typical ‘like-don’t like’ aside, it’s one of more pleasing on eyes icon sets, completely in .png and with very similar appearance as Papirus. Actually, Papirus was created with Paper in mind — to make a better (.svg + more complete) Paper.

EVERY icon set will be missing one or the other icon; NO ONE has all icons needed; Paper icon set will be missing even a couple more then only some BUT, since it’s so similar to Papirus (which is .svg), one can very easily create it’s own missing icon and convert them to .png. That’s the main advantage for a Linux Distribution depending on .png.

Paper looks ‘modern’ (== ‘flat’, ‘material design’) and its icons are in most cases quiet usable (== give you the idea about what will happen when you press some).

If anybody has the interest to try it ‘live’ and play with a vbox vm, I could send anticapitalista a download link per mail and he could upload a clone to antiX servers.

… your screenshots with Papirus look good. Papirus would also match the choice in MX.

Thanks (and it was Paper, not Papirus!) and … NO.

MX has Papirus already. MX only needs to learn how to use it — all the icons are there (and I made a few better extras) but, they rather keep using their ‘own art’.

I know that the Paper icon set on my screenshots looks good (== consistant); if one likes its ‘modern look’ (== flat) is completely another thing.

Remark:

I hope, nobody considers my posts here as ‘hijacking the thread’. If so, please let me know and I’ll not write any further comments on the topic. Thanks.

fatmac
    fatmac

Well, I took a quick look yesterday, (& it was quick), don’t like the icon set, & wifi wouldn’t connect – enough for me to put it aside, for now, & wait for ‘beta’.

(MSI Cubi-N SOC.)

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

eugen-b
    eugen-b

I agree with most what you wrote.
    If Anti’s intention was a modern icon theme, then Paper should be a good alternative in regards of look and technical requirements (PNG).
    The best solution would be if the upstream fixed Fluxbox to make it work with SVG icons. I mean I read somewhere about someone made a patch, but I can’t find it anymore.

eugen-b
    eugen-b

I booted the live USB on this laptop: inxi -Fxxxz -> https://hastebin.com/onaxubadij.makefile

* Internet -> Wicd Network Manager is only in JWM and Fluxbox menu, not in IceWM.
    * CC -> Hardware -> Alsamixer Equalizer doesn’t work here on this machine, too.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

I booted the live USB on this laptop: inxi -Fxxxz -> https://hastebin.com/onaxubadij.makefile

* Internet -> Wicd Network Manager is only in JWM and Fluxbox menu, not in IceWM.
    * CC -> Hardware -> Alsamixer Equalizer doesn’t work here on this machine, too.

Noted – will be fixed for next version.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

koolstofje
    koolstofje

When I immediately take an iso-snapshot and that usb or dvd boot to ram it fails every time.

Fatal error..
    Neither aufs nor overlays is available

p=power off
    r=reboot

AK-47
    AK-47

I am impressed with how quickly antiX-19-a1 loads in comparison to 17.4.1. I didn’t time it precisely, but it seems like an improvement of around 30 seconds. It feels more responsive too.
    It’s nice to finally get the default IceWM “Windows 9x” look for the taskbar when selecting “default” theme, although the window borders are different to what I expected them to be (but they don’t look bad). Also the new flat icons are terrible.

Nitpicks aside, I think this is going to be a great release, nice work anticapitalista and the others. Looking forward to it.
    Will the 5.x kernel be used for the final release, or is it likely to remain a selectable install option? I’m curious as to why it’s a 4.9 kernel in Buster.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by AK-47.
    Anonymous

I’m curious as to why it’s a 4.9 kernel in Buster.

Probably because of Debian being a server operating system and because of: LTS Kernel

What’s the point of using 5.x Kernel on a PIII?

Also the new flat icons are terrible.

Let’s stay fair. Numix bevel is not terrible; it’s terrible on IceWM, Mate, XFCE and alikes.

With a proper DE, things change pretty much … here one example of Numix Circle on Gnome3

It simply offers somewhat ‘suboptimal’ usability since, everything’s a circle (with some ‘dirt’ on it when around 32 Px size).

AK-47
    AK-47

Probably because of Debian being a server operating system and because of: LTS Kernel

What’s the point of using 5.x Kernel on a PIII?

That makes sense about the LTS kernel. I was under the impression that it was not receiving any updates or anything anymore as it was stuck at 4.9. Learn something new everyday.

Let’s stay fair. Numix bevel is not terrible; it’s terrible on IceWM, Mate, XFCE and alikes.

With a proper DE, things change pretty much … here one example of Numix Circle on Gnome3

It simply offers somewhat ‘suboptimal’ usability since, everything’s a circle (with some ‘dirt’ on it when around 32 Px size).

And that’s why I said it was “terrible.” Suboptimal usability as you said, and also antiX doesn’t use Gnome 3, it uses lightweight WMs in which these icons don’t match at all IMHO.
    It’s probably OK on other distros, but not really the antiX default set.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by AK-47.
    Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

Only had time to do a single install on hardware so far (Thinkpad T61s previously used for Antix 17.x Testing/Buster), here’s the issues I encountered:

WiFi failed on Live USB and installed on hardware. Ceni gave “no values”, but then I saw this new-fangled WiCD replacement thingee Connan and while it didn’t work the first time after a reboot and retry it managed to detect the wifi and all is now working fine.

Log-in Twice: have to enter user name and password twice.

Conky Flashes on log-in: when log in the Conky is flashing on the taskbar.

IceWM WorkSpace Movement Keyboard Shortcut failure: like 17.x Stretch version (but unlike previously using 17.x with Testing/Buster) the KeySysWorkspace#TakeWin= “Alt + Ctrl + Shift + #” doesn’t actually move a window to the # indicated workspace, it just changes the focus of the workspace. Hopefully this IceWM Workspace thing can be fixed as changing the preferences file doesn’t seem to do it. See this thread (https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/icewm-workspaces-move-window-to-workspace-to-and-launch-window-in-workspace/) for previous discussion of this issue. BobC did a lot of work with keyboard shortcuts in IceWM in this thread (https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/icewm-keyboard-shortcuts/) hopefully they can be incorporated in v19.

Apps not installing from AntiX GUI Package Installer: idevice mounter, Adobe Acrobat, Inkscape, Finch, and Pidgin all didn’t install from the antiX GUI package installer in the Control Center, I tried all of them (except idevice) in the terminal and they worked fine from there.

– oh yeah, I was hoping to see AntiCapitalista’s nice minimal XFCE he showed somewhere on the forums here as one of the default desktops.

Sorry I’ve been too busy to look at it in depth yet, but overall things are looking great, especially for so early of a build — once again great work from the antiX team!

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Hierax_ca.

AntiX 17.x:
    - (32-bit): IBM Thinkpad 600X (2000), IBM NetVista X41 (2002), IBM Thinkpad A31p (2003);
    - (64-bit): Lenovo Thinkpads x61s (2008), x200 (2009), x301 (2009).

Anonymous

@anticapitalista

Could you make an ’emergency’ icon update on antiX 19?

(See attachment and the screenshots)

Anonymous

Help …

manyroads
    manyroads

I, also, think that Erik DuBois’ Sardi-Flat is a worthy candidate for icon use.

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.2.15-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- BL- ArchLabs

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Sardi-Flat is also svg isn’t it?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

AK-47
    AK-47

Disk encryption doesn’t work on antiX-19-a1. Running cryptsetup will either just fail, crash X or freeze the installer up. It works under antiX-17.4.1. Running under VirtualBox 6.0.6.

As for the icon set, I use the Kobalt icon set under MX (part of the AvionX theme for XFCE). GPLv3 licenced (not sure how that’s meant to work here) and not bad. It could probably be adapted for antiX.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.