antiX-19-a1-full (64 bit) available

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-a1-full (64 bit) available

This topic contains 84 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by noClue May 15-10:59 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

If I install the Alpha version, with a dist-upgrade can I upgrade it to the future stable? Or should I reinstall?

Thank´s

Since it is an alpha, there are likely to be any changes before it it released. So, I would recommend a reinstall.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Koo
    Koo

@noClue

Thanks for clearing things up. Just a bit over protective antiX that all I run it on all my computers and it is my daily driver on all. Keep up the Excellent work..

masinick
    masinick

This “retired” person is just getting around to checking out the test release. Just downloaded the a1; I’ll either get the patch or if apt package updates are functioning during testing, I’ll update that way. I will also put the test release on a separate partition to I can compare this work to nice working copies of MX 18.2 and antiX 17.4.1.

I’ll provide an update when I actually get the time to install and check out the image. Keep up the good work; looks like a lot of the early issues have been identified already and are either fixed or in the queue for the next round of changes. My feedback will come once I install and evaluate what I’m able to check out on my Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop system.

Brian Masinick

noClue
    noClue

Square + PNG … provisoric — ’cause of ‘FLUCHbox’. 😉

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

masinick
    masinick

sudo dd if=${PWD}/antiX-19.a1_x64-full.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=512M; sync
    2+1 records in
    2+1 records out
    1126170624 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 0.731779 s, 1.5 GB/s

COPIED

Now to install it and report back again (hopefully soon)

Brian Masinick

masinick
    masinick

I installed antiX-19-a1-full (64 bit) yesterday, and I also experimented a little with the live version of the USB I used to install.
    The installation and initial configuration went smoothly.

My Configuration:

inxi -Fxz
    System: Host: antix19 Kernel: 4.9.170-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: JWM 2.3.7
    Distro: antiX-19.a1_x64-full Marielle Franco 27 April 2019 base: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid
    Machine: Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 5558 v: 01 serial: <filter>
    Mobo: Dell model: 086DKN v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI: Dell v: A04 date: 08/06/2015
    Battery: ID-1: BAT0 charge: 37.7 Wh condition: 37.7/41.4 Wh (91%) model: Samsung SDI DELL 07G07587587 status: Full
    CPU: Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i7-5500U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Broadwell rev: 4 L2 cache: 4096 KiB
    flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 19155
    Speed: 2400 MHz min/max: 500/3000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2400 2: 2451 3: 2512 4: 2400
    Graphics: Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
    Device-2: NVIDIA GK208M [GeForce 920M] vendor: Dell driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 08:00.0
    Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366×768~60Hz
    OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.4 direct render: Yes
    Audio: Device-1: Intel Broadwell-U Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:03.0
    Device-2: Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
    Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.170-antix.1-amd64-smp
    Network: Device-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: f040 bus ID: 06:00.0
    IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
    Device-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Dell driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI
    port: e000 bus ID: 07:00.0
    IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
    Drives: Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 3.94 GiB (0.4%)
    ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB size: 931.51 GiB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 97.93 GiB used: 3.94 GiB (4.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda11
    ID-2: swap-1 size: 7.91 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
    Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0 C mobo: N/A sodimm: 37.0 C
    Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2200
    Info: Processes: 161 Uptime: 54m Memory: 7.71 GiB used: 1.60 GiB (20.7%) Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0
    Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 inxi: 3.0.33

After using the software for a while and trying different window managers and also trying both the live and installed instances, I did encounter a few issues, some of which have been previously noted:

Issues:
    1) I had difficulty connecting to the internet after booting (without installing) the USB instance of the a1 image. I did not see this issue when I installed the software to disk.
    2) When I installed to disk, initially I used IceWM and it appeared to work well., Later I switched to another desktop (Fluxbox, then JWM, I was not able to see IceWM or switch to it without manual intervention on my part.

Note that I installed a1 and did not patch yet with a2, but I did perform a dist-upgrade following the a1 installation. More than likely when the next improvements are included in the packages, this quirk will get straightened out.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by masinick.

Brian Masinick

masinick
    masinick

I resolved the missing Icewm menu entry by removing and manually adding Icewm packages.

Brian Masinick

noClue
    noClue

Here just one more example of what I’ve said in #20817:

“Icon set, gtk theme and the wallpaper are 1 (one == unity) and not 3 (three) separate things to consider.

You are using flat icon set, combined with ‘1997’ window-borders-theme.
    The wallpaper is beautiful and completely wrong.

The most beautiful image != the most suitable wallpaper!”

If antiX is to look more modern at the end, it’ll need some new, flat theme and a few wallpapers to go with it.

Disclaimer:
    Theese screenshots here are NOT to be liked or disliked but, just as an example.

PPC

@noClue : you said the pictures were not to be liked or disliked, but I can’t stop thinkings that the Icon set, the gtk theme and the wallpaper are perfectly matched. The wallpaper fits just right with conky.
    That said I also would like to comment that the colors matched more closely what’s more common among other distros (like MX). that was my own personal choice in my antiX box.
    Using one of this screen grabs on DistroWatch to “identify” antiX could pull in a few more newbies willing to try it… It just looks much more modern than the default Windows Xp look (I’m not complaining, I’ve been using antiX for about 2 years now, I used the default look for the better part of a year until I tried personalizing it- but I get that most users want to just use a OS, and don’t alter much more that the wallpaper).

@ devs: The new icon set looks great and conveys a more “unified” look in all antiX menus and options…
    But is this the correct place to make some construtive suggestions about the new Control Center icons?
    I’m not currently with my usb thumb drive I use to run antiX 19 Live, but I can give, 2 examples I think could improve the icons ” readbility” (I mean looking at the icons and knowing what they mean) – the change resolution icon should look something like a screen or monitor, maybe with arrows inside it pointing outwards. Also one of the options to change the keyboard language has a cryptic icon- maybe you can use the same “keyboard” icon that the keyboard option uses? Also it makes sense to group all “change windows managers options icons together”.
    If you want/need help redesigning/altering a couple of icons, I can try helping!

P.

noClue
    noClue

Am glad you liked it but, that’s unfortunately irrelevant.

“… the gtk theme and the wallpaper are perfectly matched.”

Yes, they are but … It’s not at all that sure if it could/would pull in more newbies — flat themes are not everybody’s taste.

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.