antiX-19-b1-full (64 and 32 bit) available

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-b1-full (64 and 32 bit) available

This topic contains 203 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by skidoo Jul 7-11:37 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 204 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Our first beta build of the upcoming antiX-19 release, based on Debian Buster and systemd-free.

Ships with the usual applications, eg:

* Firefox-esr for web-browsing
    * libre-office suite
    * gnome-mpv video player
    * xmms for audio playback
    * roxterm
    * rox-filer and spacefm
    * geany, leafpad, vim-tiny and nano text editors

Get the iso from here

More information can be found in the Full announcement/

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

eugen-b
    eugen-b

My previous posts on antiX-19-b1-full:

Sorry for posting my reply about antiX-19.b1 here, but the isn’t any topic for it yet. (I hope you will move this post there.)
    * With the boot parameter toram when loadin the ISO with Grub directly (haven’t tried a live USB, yet) I get the error:
    Create toram tmpfs at /live/to-ram (1115 MB)
    /bin/mount -t tmpfs -o size=1115m,noatime tmpfs /live/to-ram
    Will copy files from /live/iso-file/antiX to /live/to-ram/antiX. Please be patient ...
    cp -a /live/iso-file/boot /live/iso-file/EFI /live/iso-file/version /live/to-ram
    Copy failed. Cannot do toram
    Error: /init: line 219: prog_cp: not found
    initrd.log is attached.

* Fluxbox with papirus-antix looks great!
    * All menu entries open, Applications -> System Tool not tested (too many).
    * Personal -> Personal Help Video gives an error, screenshot attached.
    https://www.antixforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/personal-menu-help-video-ERROR.jpg

* I got the same error with a live USB on a different machine (Lenovo idepad 110S netbook)
    EDIT I forgot to mention explicitely that it didn’t happen with a1/a2.

* Both wpa_gui and ceni don’t find any connections. In Connman Settings I needed to enable WiFi first then the connections appeared. I think Connman Settings should be also in the Internet submenu.

* Is it possble make the live system set the keyboard layout according to the boot menu options selected? keytable=xy
    I had to do it from CC.

* Update: Personal -> Personal Help Video works on laptop.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by eugen-b.
    Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

You should be able to work around this with the “splasht=f” cheat for now. I misspelled prog_copy as prog_cp in the code and didn’t check that branch.

Is it possble make the live system set the keyboard layout according to the boot menu options selected? keytable=xy
    I had to do it from CC.

I’m not sure what you are asking. We do set the keyboard layout based on the language selection in the bootloader menus. You can set the layout separately or override the keyboard layout that goes with the language choice with the “kdb=” cheat. Does this answer your question?

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

eugen-b
    eugen-b

Is it possble make the live system set the keyboard layout according to the boot menu options selected? keytable=xy
    I had to do it from CC.

I’m not sure what you are asking. We do set the keyboard layout based on the language selection in the bootloader menus. You can set the layout separately or override the keyboard layout that goes with the language choice with the “kdb=” cheat. Does this answer your question?

I selected German language in the bootloader menus, but I get English US keyboard layout everywhere. But when I opened the Keyboard menu in CC I had the German keyboard layout in the list, but I had to click Apply to get it set everywhere. I will try to reproduce it and give more technical information.

fatmac
    fatmac

Just downloaded 19b1, ran it live, seemed OK, installed it, went OK, however, it didn’t carry over my wifi settings, (keep settings), setup ceni from internet menu didn’t work, setup wifi from control centre, ceni, worked – but – it doesn’t connect to the internet. Checked the site is working OK on another laptop.

Control centre > Network > Connman = ????? – Couldn’t get any wifi at all.

Ifup says it is configured, my other laptop is still connected to the internet OK, so it’s not my internet connection.

Ran ifdown, & ifup again, still not connecting to the internet, (using firefox).

Tried dillo, still not connecting to the internet.

Previously was running 17.1, I think, on this netbook OK.

P.S. Ifconfig -a shows no activity.

EDIT: Modules loaded, ath9k, ath9k_common, ath9k_hw, ath, mac80211, cfg80211

Oops, forgot, this is the 64bit full .iso (loaded on/from a pendrive).

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

PPC

Just downloaded 19b1, ran it live, seemed OK, installed it, went OK, however, it didn’t carry over my wifi settings, (keep settings), setup ceni from internet menu didn’t work, setup wifi from control centre, ceni, worked – but – it doesn’t connect to the internet. Checked the site is working OK on another laptop.

Control centre > Network > Connman = ????? – Couldn’t get any wifi at all.

Ifup says it is configured, my other laptop is still connected to the internet OK, so it’s not my internet connection.

Ran ifdown, & ifup again, still not connecting to the internet, (using firefox).

Tried dillo, still not connecting to the internet.

Previously was running 17.1, I think, on this netbook OK.

P.S. Ifconfig -a shows no activity.

EDIT: Modules loaded, ath9k, ath9k_common, ath9k_hw, ath, mac80211, cfg80211

Oops, forgot, this is the 64bit full .iso (loaded on/from a pendrive).

@Fatmac- I had a similar problem with antiX 19A2- I haven’t tried the beta yet, but, anti still says “* connman replaces wicd and is default.ceni still included, but to use it you need to remove connman.”, so you can’t use ceni without deleting connman…
    In alpha2 I configured my wi-fi, booting from live USB (sometimes connman refused to see wi-fi signals and I had to reboot), but when I did a frugal install with root/home persistence, after rebooting connman did not detect any wi-fi networks. My workaround was running ceni and choosing the first option related to my wifi network (something like delete Wlan0 configuration, or something like that). Once I do that, connman starts showing wi-fi networks and does what it should, and auto-connects to my wi-fi network. Maybe the same applies to the Beta1?

@ the dev team: As always glad to see “my” OS evolving, even doing the mainstream thing and skip a version number, just like the most used desktops OS in the world did. In the end I like that option- now the antiX number matches the current year 🙂

Edits 1 and 2: I couldn’t wait and tried the 32 bits version on virtualbox (it runs slow to really in my system to really test anything, I just gave a quick glance): the papirus theme out of the box looks great. The “Exit session” menu now looks very modern and all icons match perfectly there (How to improve perfection? If that exit menu is done in YAD, maybe remove windows decoration and add a cancel GTK button?- it’s just a minor change but it would improve even more that menu, making it even more modern). The Control Centre icons look really, really much better tham those in antiX 17.X and antiX 19alphas, now the user can mostly guess what the icons do with a quick glance. Still love the new wallpapers and the fact that they are not “branded”.
    I know the 32 bits version is way less demanding on RAM, but how the hell does a full system run on 58Mb of idle RAM? Sorcery? 🙂
    I’m just sorry that anti warned that the feature I used the most on antiX19A2- smtube youtube player does not work with the current youtube-dl version. Not a really big problem, for most users.

@devs: I found not a bug but some strange little error in the menu. I’m using the portuguese version, if that’s relevant… If I, in IceWm ( I did not test any other desktop), click Menu- applications – Internet- the menu displays way more than just the “internet” itens, it seems to mix the “application” menu and the “internet” menu itens- but if I click the “internet” option available from that part of the menu, the correct “internet only” itens are displayed in the new column… Copy/paste error on the “menu” file I guess?

P.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
    fatmac
    fatmac

Thanks for the info, tried, but still no internet activity. 🙁

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

@fatmac – My internet has been playing up for the last 2 hours or so – but apt-get works normally. Try that.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

skidoo

This post describes BootMenu Help errata.

F1 }} About
    states that about 1.5GB is required to install ~~ which is misleading, b/c the installer will disallow//ignore target partitions smaller than 4GB. Probably would be better to separately mention: FRUGAL install requires 1.5Gb minimum, traditional install-to-disk requires a minimum 4GB partition

F1 }} Main Menu Entries
    The purpose/benefit of the “Virtual Box (sic) Video” entry is not described
    (and user may wonder whether “Virtual Box” is something similar to, but not exactly the same as “Virtualbox”)

F1 }} F4: Miscellaneous Options
    no description//explanation is provided for the “conwidth=” options

discrepancy b/t selectbox label “password” and helptext label “private”

no description//explanation is provided for the “nostore” option

fatmac
    fatmac

@fatmac – My internet has been playing up for the last 2 hours or so – but apt-get works normally. Try that.

I did try to update it, (Acer AO532), but I had no actual connection on 19-b1, whilst I was on the internet on my HP-G62 running MX, so it isn’t my internet connection.

I also tried booting live on my HP with 19-b1, & it wouldn’t connect either, so there appears to be a problem with actually writing the set up details to a file(?), I’m guessing.

I even removed connman, from my Acer installation, as it is an unknown to me, but ceni still wouldn’t connect.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

fatmac
    fatmac

I just dug out a USB wifi adapter, which uses rtl8xxxu, rtl8192cu, etc, &, (on my connman less installation), doesn’t connect with/through ceni either.
    So it does appear that the configs may not be getting written to file.

I’ll try it running 19-b1 live, just to be sure it isn’t a one off…..
    …..well now, I got connected this time using the USB wifi (rtl) & Control Centre > Network > Connman – apt-get update ran OK, & co, &nnected to the forum using firefox.

I’m going to shut down the live session & boot it up again to be sure….

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

fatmac
    fatmac

…..& here I am on my Acer, running 19-b1 live with the usb wifi…

so maybe it is the ath modules(?).

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

I selected German language in the bootloader menus, but I get English US keyboard layout everywhere. But when I opened the Keyboard menu in CC I had the German keyboard layout in the list, but I had to click Apply to get it set everywhere. I will try to reproduce it and give more technical information.

This is a timing problem at start up. A quick fix for now is to use to get to gExec and run this command:
    pkill fbxkb && fbxkb

PLMK if that works for you. It seemed to work here.

Edit: the command is fbxkb not fbkbd.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

fatmac
    fatmac

I’m going to re install on the Acer & go with connman, with the built in wifi, because I think I automatically used ceni on the first time install.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    dolphin_oracle

its is very possible that unlike wicd, connman may not manage connections previously defined in the /etc/network/interfaces file (network-manager has the same issue). ceni writes its’ configuration to that file, so the very usage of ceni may actually be the culprit.

unfortunately, ceni will not operate correctly while connmand is running (pkill connmand and then running ceni worked ok for me).

welcome to the age of configuration daemons. yay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 204 total)

The topic ‘antiX-19-b1-full (64 and 32 bit) available’ is closed to new replies.