antiX-19-b1-full (64 and 32 bit) available

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-b1-full (64 and 32 bit) available

• This topic has 203 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated Jul 7-11:37 am by skidoo.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 204 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin

In a terminal running dfh and reporting via Yad fails with the following message.

dfh --gui
    dfh: GUI mode is not available without the /usr/bin/yad program

If dfh.desktop is intended to launch:
    • dfh –gui, the Exec= line needs amending
    • dfh, it needs to open a terminal.

XecureXecure

I am trying to trim the 32 bit version down to fit on a CD as my older machines are pre-USB 1.1 and don’t have DVD drives. I removed a lot of stuff I don’t use, but only got down to 811 mb. I removed more things like CUPS and all the printer drivers except HP and Brother, and PPP and all the spelling and word processing stuff possible, but its still too big. The only thing left to remove is the new icons at this point, as it looks like they take up a lot of space, but are hard coded on the icewm menus, so I’m trying to keep them or the menus look bad.

PS: 779,264k so it won’t fit.

You have probably done so already, but uninstall firefox-esr. You can later install it again once you get the the iso trimmed down.

Getting rid of papirus-antix:
    Control Center > Look and Feel > Icon Theme. Change to numix square antiX.
    If using IceWM, change ~/.icewm/preferences and comment line 9 and uncomment line 10. Then, rename ~/.icewm/menu to menu-old and toolbar to toolbar-old. Then rename menu-numix-square to menu, and toolbar-numix-square to toolbar. Restart session update menu, and, with this, you will change the icons from the toolbar (I think) to numix-square and no longuer depend on papirus-antix (which you can now safely uninstall from Synaptic for the iso creation, and later install when on your machine if you want).

Other things to do (which you have probably already done, but I will write just in case):
    Go to Synaptic, Settings > Preferences > Columns and fonts. Make visible Download Size and Size columns and move them up to the second and third column. Apply. Now in the Synaptic interface, click twice on the Size Header so you can see all installed programs by size. There you can check which ones you don’t need and write them down somewhere before uninstalling. Probably the most important amount for the iso is the DOwnload Size, but with this you can easily check what yu don’t want. For example, Webkit libraries, mupdf, AMD firmware if you don’t have AMD cpu, gnome icon theme, games like gnome-mahjong, etc.

Edit: It seems you are already doing this.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by Xecure. Reason: Change after seeing BobC's edit

I might try reinstalling numix after this current try, if I fail yet again. I’m on about the 5th or 6th try. I even removed LeafPad.

I have left Firefox because I absolutely need a browser and have had terrible luck with Midori in the past, and the text based ones are not up to duty. I assume chromium will also have a huge footprint, as bad or worse than firefox.

I’m at 766509056, but at least I tried… Stopping now. I would think the Devs will eventually come out with a version that will fit on a CD.

Forum Admin

IceWM
    Menu→Themes
    contains an entry to a theme named default which is misleading. It is likely to cause confusion because the actual default theme used in antiX is named Clearview.

It is probably wise to avoid this uncertainty. The theme named default could be renamed to something else or perhaps even removed.

Yes, i noticed that the default theme wasn’t so good but was worried that it would break if i removed it.

I’m going to look at the machine and see if I find a way to get the iso downloaded to a partition on one of the drives. I don’t think I can access the scsi drives though.

christophechristophe

repo manager won’t allow me to change repo — upon apt update, it is still the same. Even after reboot.

XecureXecure

repo manager won’t allow me to change repo — upon apt update, it is still the same. Even after reboot.

This happened to me, and I wrote about it previously. You will have to manually modify the repo list.
    Control Center > System > Edit Config Files
    (or simply go to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and select what repo list you want changing, probably antix.list).

I will boot up a live CD and come back to paste the default antix.list so you can add it easily.

# Use with Debian Stable/buster repositories. Set as default for antiX-19.
    deb http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix/buster buster main nonfree
    #deb-src http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix/buster buster main nonfree 

# Use with Debian Testing/'rolling' repositories.
    #deb http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix/testing testing main nonfree 
    #deb-src http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix/testing testing main nonfree 

# Use with Debian Sid repositories. 
    #deb http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix/sid sid main nonfree 
    #deb-src http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix/sid sid main nonfree
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by Xecure. Reason: Booting in to live system to get the antix.list

I got the size pared down to fit on a CD by removing the locales and fonts that I won’t need and removing Bluetooth, CUPS, Printer Drivers and the PDF viewer components.

I got an old Knoppix to load from CD, and I eventually disassembled another machine and borrowed it’s DVD drive and mounted it in place of the CD. I got the machine, a Dual P III 750 Fast, UW-SCSI server from 1998 with 1 gb of memory running again with a 2017 vintage Knoppix from DVD and Gparted works under that with the hard drives.

At this point, I am thinking that I can run antiX19 32 bit from a CD or even burn a DVD of the full version, but lacking the info to know how to get the aic7xxx SCSI driver to load at boot, and not wanting anyone to spend more time on it, I can see I won’t have any way to boot it from the hard drive, or bring up the hard drive, but would be able to see if antiX19 will boot, connect to WiFi, and run the Firefox. I think that is a reasonable test on that machine given the lack of bootable USB or IDE hard drives.

A BIG Thanks for the ideas from Skidoo and Xecure on paring it down and getting icons 🙂

christophechristophe

@ Xecure: Thank you for that.

Hmmm … what did I miss?

You have 2 (two) computers — one older and weaker w/o CD and another newer and better, w/ CD.

Why not swap the HDD, install OS and swap the HDD again?

If you’re already disassembling …

I’ve no choice, I MUST disassemble my laptop now because, I have 3 SSD’s inside it and, if I try to install the Windows on one of them, then it’ll install the Windows on one SSD and the Recovery on the other — which is what I don’t want. It can install all on one HD only, if there is only one single physical HD inside, other ways, it’ll always try to install itself on both (which is safer == better option) or not at all — YES, Windows will either install where and how the Windows wants to install itself or it’ll simply not install at all, as long as it doesn’t get it, exactly the way it wants it.

I tried every trick, even formated two SSD’s as XFS — it would simply inform you — NO FREE SPACE! On the empty SSD’s! 😉

But hey, you’re lucky, you’re on Linux! It doesn’t care where did you install it — just swap the HDD and you’re done.

P.S.
    The worst thing that could happen is, you might need to reset Network Interfaces manually.

The problem is that I don’t have extra IDE drives. The one in the newer machine has a program that I can’t get to work on any of the others so i don’t want to erase that one.

I do have another newer one but I never used it myself so not sure what works or doesn’t on it, but my son replaced it because the hard drive was having trouble.

I guess the bottom line is that it’s like Sid’s backyard around here…

It’s best to test using hardware that’s known to be working, and the old server was built with the best of everything in its day.

Forum Admin

…a Gui way to see almost all installed applications by icon, is provided out of the box with yad (a menu entry like “All Applications” that fired up something like ” yad –icons –read-dir=/usr/share/applications –fullscreen –sort-by-name –undecorated –single-click –skip-taskbar”

…“yad –icons –read-dir=/usr/share/applications –fullscreen –sort-by-name –undecorated –single-click –skip-taskbar” is awesome.

BTW – If you turn on rox-panel, the Apps folder opens what the yad script above does.Also, the “yad –icons –read-dir=/usr/share/applications –fullscreen –sort-by-name –undecorated –single-click –skip-taskbar” is awesome.

A couple of things.

When using –single-click and then using the arrow keys to navigate the window that opens, the apps open as the arrow key moves to them. Omitting the single click switch eliminates that behaviour which is probably desirable for keyboard users.

As noted by @PPC not all apps are displayed. Those in the sub directory antix are omitted because Yad cannot recurse into that directory. Using the following enables both dirs to be browsed.

rox-filer --new --dir=/usr/share/applications

Note:
    • The antiX dir now also available,
    • The icon size displayed can be changed by the icon at the top of the window.

This provides a further way a user can discover all installed apps that use a *.desktop file. It lends weight to the idea of rationalizing the antiX main menu and reverting to the simpler format of previous releases.
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-19-b1-full-64-and-32-bit-available/page/9/#post-23428

XecureXecure

This provides a further way a user can discover all installed apps that use a *.desktop file. It lends weight to the idea of rationalizing the antiX main menu and reverting to the simpler format of previous releases.

So, if I understand correctly, is the team planning on taking away some of the antiX/MX applications from the Applications menu (the ones which you have access in the Control Center)? This would be corrected with a new menu entry in the “main” menu (named “All Apps” or something similar) that launches that yad script so that every user can view all installed apps in one go? Or maybe a new menu item that launches the yad script displaying only the antiX apps?

I understand you want to declutter the Applications submenus, so I have nothing bad to say against this idea. Would this affect any user who decides they don’t like the default Window managers and want their own (or a Desktop Environment)? Would the antiX apps still appear in the Xfce whisker menu, for example? (sorry if this question makes no sense. I don’t really know how the WM and DE “find” installed apps).

By the way, I would like to take the opportunity to propose the Control Center launcher in all the menus is moved to above the Applications menu entry, so that people see it and subconsciously think on clicking there first before exploring the apps. I believe this could help in both cases, when the users are starting out (and are curious to know what goodies the antiX distro brings), and when they need to solve a problem and don’t know where to start.
    I have already asked for a merge request with this change implemented for the fluxbox menu. I would like you people consider it. If you need someone to do the manual labor to make the change for all Window manager menus in all languages, I can take “the burden”.

For anyone wanting to burn a DVD (or CD if small enough to fit) the commands from a terminal below. It assumes you are in the directory with the .iso file. The first command checks the drive, and the second writes the CD or DVD at maximum speed.

wodim -prcap

wodim -sao antiX-19.b1_386-full.iso

Forum Admin

So, if I understand correctly, is the team planning on taking away some of the antiX/MX applications from the Applications menu …

At this time its just a case of floating ideas for antiX, not MX. Nothing has been decided. I do not have the final say on this matter, as always it is anticapitalista who decides what is or is not adopted and how the shipped distro looks.

…that launches that yad script so that every user can view all installed apps in one go?

As outlined in post #23723, not a Yad script because that is unable to show all installed apps in one go. Described in #23723 is a command that that uses Rox to do what the Yad one-liner does and more. A user is able to browse all the icons of installed apps and the antiX apps.
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-19-b1-full-64-and-32-bit-available/page/11/#post-23723

Remember that all the installed and antiX apps can already been seen in one go by using an app that ships in antiX named Menu Manager.
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-19-b1-full-64-and-32-bit-available/page/9/#post-23428
    The Rox command could be made available via an entry in the main menu, but it will show the same apps that are currently shown by Menu Manager. Mentioning the Rox method was done to point out the limitations of the Yad method and indicate a different way that it can be done using another antiX standard app i.e. another way in which a user can discover the apps in antiX.

Would this affect any user who decides they don’t like the default Window managers and want their own (or a Desktop Environment)?

No, it will work with them. Remember it is just a way to list installed apps and optionally launch them.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 204 total)
  • The topic ‘antiX-19-b1-full (64 and 32 bit) available’ is closed to new replies.