antiX-19-b1-full (64 and 32 bit) available

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-b1-full (64 and 32 bit) available

This topic contains 203 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by skidoo Jul 7-11:37 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 204 total)
  • Author
    BobC

I had some good luck with the Dual PIII 750. The antiX19b1 32 bit boot screen came up, and things went ok except acpi, and even the SCSI drives appear to work (which never worked before), but x windows wouldn’t come up without cheat codes. I tried safe mode but it will only run 640×480.

I was able to boot Knoppix 8.1 but not 8.2. On the inxi -Fxz for Knoppix they show a NV34 GeForce FX 5500, and for drivers they show vesa,nouveau (unloaded modesetting,fbdev)

I looked at the xorg log for Knoppix and see that the boot codes it says was used were video=vga16fb:off and the x windows comes up at 1280×1024

On antiX19 I tried the video=vga16fb:off and xorg=vesa,nouveau and nomodeset, but it didn’t work. The best I can get is 640×480. The inxi -Fxz is similar to Knoppix but says no graphics driver is loaded, ie N/A

Any suggestions?

Xecure
    Xecure

At this time its just a case of floating ideas for antiX

As outlined in post #23723, not a Yad script because that is unable to show all installed apps in one go.

No, it will work with them. Remember it is just a way to list installed apps and optionally launch them.

Thanks for your time and the clarification. I think I understand better. Modifying the menu update script seems very complicated, that is why I thought maybe the antiX .desktop files would be modified so that they were invisible to the menu update script, which would also make them invisible for the other DE’s to be able to pick them up. Now I know I was just making things up.

Whatever is decided, I will support it. I will let the experts decide.

On antiX19 I tried the video=vga16fb:off and xorg=vesa,nouveau and nomodeset, but it didn’t work. The best I can get is 640×480. The inxi -Fxz is similar to Knoppix but says no graphics driver is loaded, ie N/A

Any suggestions?

i really have no idea about how to help, BobC. Maybe it has something to do with the kernel module, or missing some firmware or driver for the nvidia card. Hopefully someone with similar hardware can help out.

Forum Admin
    SamK

I think some antiX applications could go without a menu entry since they are available from the Control Centre. Some don’t make any sense as standalone menu items, some do. I mean you did it MX that you added NoDisplay=true to most of the .desktop files of such applications. antiX has a menu which coplies to the Freedesktop standard, it should work here, too.

My memory is fallible; we introduced the setting (NoDisplay=True|False) to antiX in 2013.

You might have a look at Menu Manager which has shipped as a standard app of antiX-Full since 2015. It uses that setting to enable a user to hide/show (unhide) items in the Applications section of the antiX menu, and also create/remove items in the Personal section.

A video by dolphin_oracle is available https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwuTtjF6zS0
    The first 13 minutes cover using it for the Personal menu section, after that it shows using it to alter the Applications menu section.

BobC

I noticed over the weekend that Knoppix also has the “too many menu items to fit on the screen” problem.

Ok, its not so pretty, but I don’t think removing the programs from the system, if they are useful, is the right way to go. Needing to scroll the menu isn’t that bad.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Forum Admin
    SamK

Ok, its not so pretty, but I don’t think removing the programs from the system, if they are useful, is the right way to go.

A small correction.

We are not discussing removing programs from the system, all apps remain installed. No functionality will be removed. All apps are known to a user via either the currently available method or that mentioned in post #23723, neither of which require any other packages to be installed.

We are just discussing polishing what we already have.

Example
    It has already been mentioned in the discussion that the Applications menu contains many items which duplicate what is also presented in the Control Centre. Some of those are items are ones which are going to be used infrequently, or are set-and-forget setting changers, etc… we end up with clutter where users are unlikely to use many of the menu entries.

Additionally the height of some parts of the menu already exceed the height of the screen. This becomes worse if a large variant of a theme is in use. It is further exacerbated if a larger than default font size is chosen.

Users with less than perfect eyesight are adversely affected in a disproportionate manner.

Improving usability by way of menu presentation is the focus of the discussion.

Given that we have Menu Manager it enables a user to choose the create duplicate items in the antiX menu if they want them. In that way the menu more closely reflects their own way of working while being less cluttered, appearing more cared for, and easier to use for everyone else.

PPC

I am trying to trim the 32 bit version down to fit on a CD as my older machines are pre-USB 1.1 and don’t have DVD drives. I removed a lot of stuff I don’t use, but only got down to 811 mb. I removed more things like CUPS and all the printer drivers except HP and Brother, and PPP and all the spelling and word processing stuff possible, but its still too big. The only thing left to remove is the new icons at this point, as it looks like they take up a lot of space, but are hard coded on the icewm menus, so I’m trying to keep them or the menus look bad.

@BobC – I came in quite late to comment on your situation and I know this is not really connected to the thread (that’s been hijacked to discuss all kinds of stuff, even by me) but, for users that are in your situation- meaning- wanting to install antiX on a device without a DVD-rom drive or compatible USB port/pen drive- if the computer already has grub installed, perhaps copying the antiX iso you want to use (downloading it or copying it using USB pen drive or copied over 2-3 CD-roms) to your hard drive and configuring grub to boot from that ISO from the hd would be the fastest way to install it? I never tried installing antiX when running its ISO from hd, but if you can’t install to the same partition where you copied the ISO file, simply create a new partition, just big enough for the ISO and copy it there… not all users have know-how that enables them to trim the ISO, like you did…
    I have to say that booting antiX 19 ISO from hd gives me the fastest boot time I ever saw… It’s like using it via live USB, on steroids…
    The one “con” it has- you lose the boot screen, so you have to enter all the boot cheat codes on the grub entry or manually (for example, my desktop needs “nomodeset xorg=safe”, that I had to manually enter in the grub entry I created).
    If someone wants to try this, just search “boot iso from grub” and you’ll probably get a decent tutorial…

P.

PPC

Some more very small suggestions:

1- No GUI way to set time/date
    Skidoo offered a fully GUI way to set the system time/date in https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/interesting-distribution/#post-23738
    I tested it but I found that, mainly from a newbie point of view -that usually want to avoid seeing the cli- it looks much better, but is harder to use to change to a desired time zone- the user has to copy the desired time zone from a menu and them past it in another menu, which, despite looking much better than the cli GUI antiX already offers, is not as easy to use.
    Where Skidoo script shines is in the fact that it offers many more GUI configuring options – I didn’t even know that most of them existed…
    Only after reading the thread I mentioned above did I realized that antiX does not in fact offer a GUI way to change date and time. I never really needed to set the time and date from antiX. I have no good suggestion other than try to include skidoo’s script or the MX-Linux .deb file he mentions (which has almost the same functionality) or a YAD script to set date/time (for example, I found this one, very basic but usable one at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/yad-common/0m5Lj07iFYQ and had to comment out the “remsu $0” part, just to test it (I ran it using “gksudo ./scriptname.sh” so even entering the password is done without leaving the GUI).

2-Some more small suggestions- C.C. icons:
    Considering what I said before, for now, maybe “Control Center > System > Set Date and Time” should instead read ” Set Time zone”… So no to be misleading?
    Another option is adding to the CC one of the additional options I mentioned to set date and time, if the devs so choose

3- Also in “Control Center > System > Package Installer”, the default icon kind of looks like a suit case… Maybe one that looks like a “shopping bag” would convey its meaning better? I took a look and /usr/share/icons/numix-square-antix/48×48/apps/software-center.png looks better to me… But it’s only my personal opinion, the default one also look great, very modern.

4- Another suggestion I have concerns “Control Center > Session > Set Screen resolution” icon. I found one, already provided OOTB, /usr/share/icons/numix-square-antix/48×48/apps/cs-overview.png , that looks like it has two arrows pointing outwards maybe its better at conveying the idea of changing resolution?

NoClue must be rubbing off on me, I’m nitpicking to the extreme… 🙂

P.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by PPC.
    skidoo

PPC, here’s a spruced up version of the YAD script
    (dialog windows now open centered; pointless column1 is hidden, “tool” and other extraneous verbiage removed)
    https://pastebin.com/LiNeyL97

Anonymous

@PPC

NoClue must be rubbing off on me, I’m nitpicking to the extreme… 🙂

I’m happy that my (sometimes unfriendly) ‘repeat, repeat … and after you’re done, repeat again’ way, achieved what it was supposed to do — open the eyes, look at it and notice.

No matter what anybody does, it’ll never be perfect but, it’s important to see and try to improve on things.

— —

@all

There is one situation that more or less often happens in reality and which regularly gets ignored/forgotten by most distro developers.

Imagine the following (imaginary) situation:

Wife speaks only Greek, husband speaks mostly English, kids go to school on German and they learn intensively French.

Computer has to be set up on at least 3 different languages; 4 would be optimal.

Easy way to do it?

P.S.
    This wasn’t a question and you don’t have to tell me how to achieve that from the command line. 😉
    You have to make that work on a ‘click of a button’, just like Mac, Mint or Windows.

eugen-b
    eugen-b

Wife speaks only Greek, husband speaks mostly English, kids go to school on German and they learn intensively French.
    Computer has to be set up on at least 3 different languages; 4 would be optimal.
    Easy way to do it?
    P.S.
    This wasn’t a question and you don’t have to tell me how to achieve that from the command line.
    You have to make that work on a ‘click of a button’, just like Mac, Mint or Windows.

I hate to praise it too much, but antiX is the perfect distro for such a family.
    1st way: boot with live USB and select the locale from the live USB menu each time.
    2nd way: create users in Control Centre, log in with the user, set locale in Control Centre.

antiX profits from many translators https://www.transifex.com/anticapitalista/antix-development/dashboard/

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by eugen-b.
    PPC

PPC, here’s a spruced up version of the YAD script
    (dialog windows now open centered; pointless column1 is hidden, “tool” and other extraneous verbiage removed)
    https://pastebin.com/LiNeyL97

Thanks, Skidoo. I really don’t have a pressing need for a GUI way to do that, but, like a user said on another thread, it’s a tiny hole on OS usability the fact that antiX does not provide a GUI way to set time and date. Did you talk with anti about adding something like that script (or the one you made before, similar to the MX’s deb) to antiX CC? I ask that because, if so, there would be some minor improvements I could suggest or even implement myself (only very minor stuff, my scripting skills are near 0)- like Move the Quit menu to the end of the list, change the icon the show a “clock”, also try making “ok” the default button, so working via keyboard would be simpler (just move the slider and press enter?). A suggestion way above my skills: use a gui “calendar” to set the date. I thing I found somewhere a yad script about selecting dates via a calendar… Could that be easy to implement and select day/month/year all in one go (and a similar option for hours and minutes)? If so I can dig around for that script. But I believe it will really will be worth the effort if the dev team really this is something they want to add to the CC

@Anticapitalista – I know small and big changes are piling up on the next beta but if you want to add a GUI way to set time and date on CC (now users only can choose the time zone in CC) I can think of several reasons that could be handy to users- mainly if they don’t have a permanent connection to the net, or non at all, they have no way to easily (meaning, using a GUI) set time and date (and even no way to search on-line for how to do it via the cli, if they don’t know how to do it…).

P.

Anonymous

@eugen-b

I didn’t talk about antiX in particular and no — antiX is no option.

The user doesn’t care for Live USB nor for Fsomthin’ boot option, nor for codes, nor for cmd, nor for change at log-in screen …

Normal user doesn’t care for … (Screenshot 1)

Normal user expects … (Screenshot 2 & 3)

Either you’ll give it a … (Screenshot 4)
    … or somebody else will do.

Happy normal user will stay happy normal user.

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

I haven’t checked the 64-bit for this.
    When I boot the 32-bit 19b1 dvd and first get to the desktop,
    I have to run update menu to get everything to show up right
    in the applications submenu.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

Xecure wrote:

PD: Sorry for overcrowding this topic that should be related to testing the beta. I will try to not go off-topic as often.

Maybe good for a thread in development or in software 🙂

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

PPC

I haven’t checked the 64-bit for this.
    When I boot the 32-bit 19b1 dvd and first get to the desktop,
    I have to run update menu to get everything to show up right
    in the applications submenu.

I already reported that (I noticed that menu problem in a 32bit virtual machine but I didn’t try to run menu update- duh! – thanks for that “fix”). I’m happy to report that the 64 bits version, run live from my hd has no such menu problems.

P.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 204 total)

The topic ‘antiX-19-b1-full (64 and 32 bit) available’ is closed to new replies.