antiX-19-b1-full (64 and 32 bit) available

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-b1-full (64 and 32 bit) available

• This topic has 203 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated Jul 7-11:37 am by skidoo.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 204 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

Wow. Thanks for the detailed answer! I’ve learned a lot. It is amazing how much work goes into avoiding all those strange behaviors to achieve such great results. We really appreciate all your hard work! This new tsplash screen, and all the remodeled tools and boot-rescue options are
    fantastic. All this really makes antiX stand out from the other distros!

Thank *YOU*!

BTW about half the work for tsplash was done a couple of years ago when I created a system to automatically select a console font size to keep the number of text columns roughly constant. This was only possible due to the incredible work done in the Terminus Font Project.

Unfortunately, my scaling fails for extreme high resolutions displays because the largest Terminus font is 32×16. For those very high resolution displays, I would need Terminus fonts that go up to twice that size. I don’t want to spam the good folks at the Terminus Font Project but maybe a few of use can *beg* them to provide larger fonts. This would make the virtual consoles much more usable on machine with very high resolution displays.

The automatic font size selection is almost magical. If you boot legacy on a high resolution display (say 1920×1080) then when the splash screen blanks out, the resolution of the screen changes from 1024×768 to 192×1080 yet it looks like nothing has changed because the fonts all got scaled.

PS The grub boot rescue system was designed and written by our dev fehlix. He also fixed some errors I made in the live boot system and he made our live UEFI boot much more robust. In addition to all of that, fehlix has been a big help on a lot of other projects and in helping people on the forums, often helping with problems I used to be the go-to person for. I assure you that without all of his help the tsplash project would never have happened this year.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

christophechristophe

Running 32-bit antix-19-b1 live-usb (on Dell Mini-10, from 2009):
    1. splasht=f was fine: It just hides the boot-up messages, right? It looks good: crisp, clean. (Although I personally like the messages.)
    2. ceni didn’t detect any wifi networks (where 17.4.1, which is installed on this computer, always does). Re-scanned 3 times. BUT then I immediately tried connman; it worked perfectly the first attempt.
    3. firewall cannot be enabled, or firefox cannot connect. (Once I disabled it, it connected right away).
    4. I’m liking ROXterm so far – so long as I can copy & paste, then I’m happy!
    Otherwise, no issues to mention. It’s shaping up great! Thanks, as always!

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

ceni didn’t detect any wifi networks (where 17.4.1, which is installed on this computer, always does). Re-scanned 3 times.

You need to disable the connmand service in order for ceni to work. You can disable it on the live system with the cheat:
    disable=c
    IOW, just add “c” to the list of letters following “disable=”.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

package “numix’gtk-theme”
    This package provides ONE theme, and conflicts with “murrine-themes” (which provides TWENTY themes)
    -=-
    A new user will likely be disappointed when launching lxappearance and finding the only pre-installed choices are:
    Arc, More Arc, Dark Arc, AuntAnita Wants an Ark, Looks like Arc, Nokipoki… and Raleigh

I’m liking ROXterm so far

I’m a ROXterm fan, but the default “Tango” colorscheme doesn’t make a good first impression, IMO (too little contrast, it appears faded or washed-out)

christophechristophe

I’m not looking for a workaround. I just ran across this issue playing around with 19-b1. 🙂

I can’t install virtualbox from the package installer – neither 5.2 or 6.0. It encounters a 404 file not found error on one of the downloads, and then a popup window says:
    “The new terminal’s command failed to run: Failed to execute child process “/usr/share/packageinstaller-pkglist/install_vb_extensions.sh” (No such file or directory)”

Anyone have any ideas on how to get connman to see my network with the Dell D620? It works fine booted to 19a2 from the hard drive. I would rather try to move to connman longer term than get ceni working again, because I think the comfortableness of the interface with connman is a good improvement, and I like that its not a memory hog like network manager, etc. I do like ceni for me, but its an intimidating interface to deal with for normal people, so it makes sense to move forward…

ps; its working on my Dell M2400, so the problem seems to be related to the Broadcom 4311 WiFi on the Dell 620. Odd, because its working fine on 19a2 without any probelems, and the driver being used is the same under both OS versions b43-pci-bridge

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by BobC.

This package provides ONE theme, and conflicts with “murrine-themes” (which provides TWENTY themes)

Upon researching this, I discovered the situation is due to the handiwork of our nemesis, Jeremy Bicha.
    (Debian GnomeTeam)

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=891493
    “numix-gtk-theme: Undocumented and very likely also broken Breaks against murrine-themes since 2.6.7-2”
    open since: Mon, 26 Feb 2018

The Breaks declaration is unwarranted, and is politically motivated.

Tonight I tweaked & rebuilt the package, then installed it in antiX19b1 alongside murrine-themes to test ~~ yes, as expected, they coexist just fine.

source code for the package + debfile (for testing) available here:
    github.com/antix-skidoo/numix-gtk-theme

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Upon researching this, I discovered the situation is due to the handiwork of our nemesis, Jeremy Bicha.
    (Debian GnomeTeam)

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=891493
    “numix-gtk-theme: Undocumented and very likely also broken Breaks against murrine-themes since 2.6.7-2”
    open since: Mon, 26 Feb 2018

The Breaks declaration is unwarranted, and is politically motivated.

Tonight I tweaked & rebuilt the package, then installed it in antiX19b1 alongside murrine-themes to test ~~ yes, as expected, they coexist just fine.

Thanks – I repackaged it for antiX buster.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

I have tested (played with to be more precise) antiX 19 b1 on multiple laptops (64bit so far) and did not encounter any significant issues…
    – Mini-icons on Fluxbox somewhat improved vs. a1. Still crude vs. 17.2 as we know but I can live with them if not possible to fix. Too bad though Fluxbox is no longer maintained as IMHO it is the best of all WMs I used. I have not tried yet square set.
    – SMTube does not seem to work but I do not think it is AntiX problem. As I recall it did not work in 17.2 either so must be something unrelated.
    – Fonts greatly improved OTB over 17.2. In 17.2 I needed to install ‘BetterFonts’ package to overcome crude OTB fonts. I have now compared 19 b2 and 17.2 (with fixed fonts) on two identical laptops side by side and I do not notice a difference.
    – Connman works fine OTB for me on all laptops I tried. I think it is good replacement for Ceni.

I just want to thank creators of antiX for continual improvements of this best ever Linux. It is greatly appreciated.

fatmacfatmac

Just installed 19-b1 to my daily driver, 2008 Toshiba Satellite, on this I use an SDHC card as my drive, & all went smoothly, remembering not to attempt to use ceni, (as I had tried to on my Acer AO532), just connman. 🙂

So the new version seems to be pretty darn good – well done team. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

fatmacfatmac

@ BobC

If you tried using ceni to connect with first, it causes a blockage of some sort, (being looked at) – I had to re install, & then use connman to get my wifi working – maybe give that a try.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Quick question – should we still include ceni on the iso?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

No, i didn’t try Ceni first.

As i see it, since it conflicts, ceni needs to be removed, and the maybe change the packaging so that if you install Ceni connman gets removed.

I also think rhat if no internet connect is available as the system comes up that the connman screen should come up automatically so people can click whatever is needed to connect or exit if they dont want to connect, and the toolbar should have a Wi-Fi icon or network monitor pager that brings up connman when you click it.

Just my 2 cents worth, but there should be many fewer connection problems and questions that way.

PS: that requires that Connman will work for almost everyone. I used to use Ceni all the time, but am going to make all my machines work with Connman. This assumes that it wouldn’t be easy to make it play nicely with Connman.

koolstofjekoolstofje

When I boot on usb ..

Fatal error..
    Neither aufs nor overlays is available

p=power off
    r=reboot

Too bad though Fluxbox is no longer maintained

You are misinformed.

fluxbox is a mature project. It is relatively bug-free and arguably feature-complete ~~ therefore we should not expect to see frequent updates. FYI, the latest commit was April 2019, consisting of a tiny tweak to the docs.

ref:
    https://github.com/fluxbox
    http://git.fluxbox.org/

What means “maintained” ?
    When I announced my customized-for-antiX fluxbox fork, fewer than half a dozen betatesters replied.
    Locally, it’s been our daily driver for over a year.
    It has only 4 (known to me) papercut bugs that I’m in no hurry to fix
    https://gitlab.com/skidoo/fluxbox

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 204 total)
  • The topic ‘antiX-19-b1-full (64 and 32 bit) available’ is closed to new replies.