antiX-19-b1-full and tsplash tests needed.

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-b1-full and tsplash tests needed.

• This topic has 62 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated Jul 8-8:12 pm by masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Could those of you running live versions of antiX-19-b1-full please test out our tsplash option.

Simply, at live boot menu, change splash=v to splasht=f or splasht=s or splasht=va

Post your comments on the splash screen

• This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

eugen-beugen-b

splasht=f and splasht=s look the same to me, splasht=va shows some localized message about the boot state and some control keys.

splasht=va
    The modes seem to be working as intended… as “feedback” I’m just letting you know that on a fast system the boot process proceeds so quickly that I barely have time to notice and/or read the hint text at bottom-left and bottom-right

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

splasht=va
    The modes seem to be working as intended… as “feedback” I’m just letting you know that on a fast system the boot process proceeds so quickly that I barely have time to notice and/or read the hint text at bottom-left and bottom-right

Those navigation hints are intended for the case when X doesn’t start. It might help cut down on people confusing “X doesn’t start” with “does not boot”. A number of people see the blank screen when X doesn’t start and think our OS isn’t working at all. In the next iteration I plan to have an option to only show those nav hints on tty7 when we say “starting X”. If X starts fast they should fly by but if X doesn’t start then we have left instructions for the user on what they should/can do next. IMO it is better to have them than not to have them but we would value your input. This was one of the reasons we let you control what is shown with the splasht= parameter. IIRC:

“b” adds a border
    “v” adds more text about what is happening
    “n” adds navigation hints on all splash screens
    “w” will add navigation hints only on tty7 but this is not in beta-1.
    “a” adds everything above
    [fs] enables late fbcondecor (background images on the consoles)

Uppercase characters turn things off so “splasht=Af” will turn off as much as possible but still enable late fbcondecor. As you have noticed we don’t throw any error message for characters we don’t understand which IIRC is traditional for splash boot parameters. Perhaps having “f” and “s” do the same thing is confusing and we should pick just one. I was tempted to have “v” enable late fbcondecor but it seemed more appropriate for controlling verbose progress.

We had wanted the boot parameter to be “tsplash” (for text splash) but fbcondecor sees this as “splash” and thinks we are talking to it so we moved the “t” from the front to the end.

PS if you want to see the splash screen hang around a little longer then try using “toram” or try the new boot parameter “mk_swap_file=” for example “mk_swap_file=1G” will create a 1 GiB swap file on your live-usb. This can take a while since swap_files aren’t allowed to be sparse.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

Thanks for explaining. I’ve caught bits-n-pieces of the new stuff from looking at commit logs, but had missed the fact that mk_swap_file would be optional. (Instead, I worried it would be the new forced default.)

for fbcondecor, “f” makes sense to me (“s” does not, b/c it is not among the characters in f-b-c-o-n-d-e-c-o-r)

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

Yes but how many people know the name is fbcondecor and how many people think of it as splash? For example all of the fbcondecor themes are stored under /etc/splash/, the boot parameter is “splash”, etc. I think the name got changed several times late in the game because “splash” was thought to be too general/ambiguous. This is why I’m unsure of which letter to use.

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

but had missed the fact that mk_swap_file would be optional. (Instead, I worried it would be the new forced default.)

Well, I was thinking of offering to make a swap file after we’ve made at least one persistence file and a swap file does not already exist.

AK-47 made a good point that using swap partitions from a host machine that is not ours is a possible security risk. So having a swap file on the live-usb is safer. Also, if the live-usb is encrypted then the swap file will be encrypted too. In addition, we now automatically disable adding/using swap partitions on encrypted live-usbs. You can bypass this with “live_swap=force”. We still use the swap file though since it is already encrypted. You can disable this with “live_swap=all-off”. If you just want to disable using swap partitions use “live_swap=off”.

OTOH, using an untrusted machine is inherently unsafe since there may be a key logger, etc. I imagine this is be a far greater risk than using some swap. If I were the black hat then I would use a keylogger and I wouldn’t bother with dissecting the swap partition.

eugen-beugen-b

I very much like the whole idea of a nice boot screen with informative messages and navigation hints!! I hope that upstream won’t break it too soon.

OT: I admire all those little things in antiX tool box! You see the result of all this in the risen popularity of MX, too. The only negative is that for users the choice among all the offered option what you can do with antiX or MX can be often quite overwhelming. It must be a cuntinueous challenge to get some “defaultisation”. I realise it is already happening in all tose boot menus for example.

XecureXecure

WOW! This this tsplash option is amazing! I hope it is turned on by default on the final release version!

When I use to show people my tablet that boots with antiX, they always say it looks too complicated, with al “the text” that comes up, they think it is some kind of error, or maybe “the device is being hacked” (as they would relate to movies and tv). With this change it sure is cool.

Another usefull thing is that you display the hotkeys to go back to see “all the text”, something no splashscreen of the distros I have tried tells you. My thumbs up!

Are you also planing to display a logo (as in an image) above the text “antiX 19b1 Marielle Franco…” in this splasht screen?

I prefer the text scrolling by. But if it scares people I am okay with having a splash screen. I tried it and it looks fine. But when I used Alt-F1 to switch to show the boot messages it didn’t work like expected. It started to show the text boot messages but then changed back to the splash screen. Once I hit Alt-F1 I want it to stay on the text scroll, not go back to the splash.

Seaken64

P.S. if you’re going to have a splash you might as well have some hand-holding and say something like “Please stand by while we set up your antiX operating system. This may take a few seconds, especially if you are on an older machine.”

“might as well have some hand-holding and say something like”

that would bring another translation burden. As is, the marching ants dots are panlingual omnilingual

“might as well have some hand-holding and say something like”

that would bring another translation burden. As is, the marching ants dots are panlingual omnilingual

Ahh yes. Good point. Dots are better.

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

Are you also planing to display a logo (as in an image) above the text “antiX 19b1 Marielle Franco…” in this splasht screen?

Thank you for the nice compliments. There is not plan to add an image. The “t” in tsplash stands for “text”. It is basically a text mode splash screen. We’re trying to keep it simple and lightweight.

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

I prefer the text scrolling by. But if it scares people I am okay with having a splash screen.

On the live system the scrolling text usually gets interrupted and jumbled when a KMS video driver gets loaded when udev starts. This was one of the motivations for providing a splash screen.

I tried it and it looks fine. But when I used Alt-F1 to switch to show the boot messages it didn’t work like expected. It started to show the text boot messages but then changed back to the splash screen. Once I hit Alt-F1 I want it to stay on the text scroll, not go back to the splash.

Excellent point! This is obviously a bug. The reason for it is there is often automatic switching between the two screens, for example if there is an error, or a break point or we need to ask questions. So I need to distinguish between the user switching to tty1 via Alt-F1 and the program doing it automatically. I had completely overlooked this. Thank you! I will try to fix this.

P.S. if you’re going to have a splash you might as well have some hand-holding and say something like “Please stand by while we set up your antiX operating system. This may take a few seconds, especially if you are on an older machine.”

We tried several different ideas along these lines. For example, to have a random quotation or poem displayed. anticaptialista had a strong preference for a simpler display. There is a “verbose” option available that says where you are at in the boot process underneath the dots. More verbosity may get added to let you know things such as the md5 check passed successfully.

XecureXecure

There is not plan to add an image. The “t” in tsplash stands for “text”. It is basically a text mode splash screen. We’re trying to keep it simple and lightweight.

Thanks for the answer. It makes complete sense, and having it image free reduces the clutter and resource use. The new tsplash screen is simple, elegant and informative. 10/10

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • The topic ‘antiX-19-b1-full and tsplash tests needed.’ is closed to new replies.