antiX-19-b1-full and tsplash tests needed.

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-b1-full and tsplash tests needed.

This topic contains 62 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by masinick Jul 8-8:12 pm.

Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    masinick
    masinick

If you have sufficient memory to load various programs completely into memory the toram option gains nothing.

Years ago I had a system with only 256 MB RAM. With that system the toram option yielded significant gain, at an initial cost to load RAM disk at startup.

My current system with 8 GB RAM doesn’t need the toram option.

Brian Masinick

skidoo

the toram option gains nothing

skidoo doesn’t have the time or energy today to thoroughly refute the quoted bit.
    I’ll just quickly mention that we gain the ability to enhance OPSEC isolation, by physically removing the boot device…

masinick
    masinick

The point I am making is that when you have enough memory, swapping activity does not take place because software remains in memory once loaded.

If memory is insufficient to load all programs and keep them in memory, that is when other I/O activity takes place. Perhaps toram performs more than simply loading resources completely into memory. From my perspective it is most important when available memory is less than the resources needed by the system programs and the applications being used. That may be overly simplistic from a highly technical point of view, but from a practical standpoint reducing I/O activity is the most noticeable activity when resources are limited. The toram feature cannot load all images into memory when memory is constrained; that’s when RAM images are written to pre-defined locations once available resoources are exhausted.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘antiX-19-b1-full and tsplash tests needed.’ is closed to new replies.