antiX-19-b2-full (64 and 32 bit) available

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-b2-full (64 and 32 bit) available

• This topic has 205 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated Aug 21-4:47 pm by rej.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 206 total)
  • Author

Noclue, I am no artist, but you know, that antix in cursive on the dark blue screen looks really nice with the clearview blue med theme and with the normal conky. Yes, its a little lean, but would really be pretty nice to look at on review or how-to screenshots or until someone learns to change the wallpaper.

Could you tweak it to say antiX 19 instead so we could see that it looks like, please? I would like to try it on mine, but its something I can’t do.

My setup is modified, but style and color wise would look like this…

BTW, Devs, I really love that new super fast installer, and the app-select. Those are real nice innovations…

Attachments:
    rayluorayluo

… no issues except needing to know where to go to connect WiFi, a problem only newbies would have.

A semi-newbie here. I tried antiX-19-b2-full 32bit on LiveUSB today. And I will try to keep updating this post (but wouldn’t you want this kind of test reports to be in Bugzilla for easier tracking?).

* I can attest that the WiFi would detect no AP if I went this route: MENU-> Applications -> Internal -> wpagui. But it worked fine if I went a different route: MENU -> Control Center -> Network -> something….
    While I now know how to set WiFi up, I would still think this kind of “problem only newbies would have” are the problems we would need to fix, if we want antiX to be more user friendly and win these kind of new users. (Wait, what, you said that’s no a goal here? Fine.)

* Other than that, the antiX-19-b2-full works fine so far. One thing though, antiX-19-b2 was released at 7-13-2019 and shipped with Python 3.7.3, but Python 3.7.4 has already been released since at 7-8-2019. Giving antiX’s long release cycle, we might as well squeeze in Python 3.7.4 to begin with.

* It is great that the default Firefox ESR 60.8 can access Office 365 online (while the older version came with antiX 17 could not). But ALT+1, ALT+2, ALT+3, ALT+4 are seemingly taken by rox-icewm(?) to switch workspace. I personally don’t use multiple workspace, and wish the ALT+number shortcuts can work with browser tabs out-of-box.

Regards,
    Ray Luo

@BobC

That’s what it gives on your monitor (1680 x 1050) …

P.S.
    Clearview Blue Medium theme and the normal Conky need another log-in theme and the icons too.
    That’s a kind of having a Mercedes with Trabant wheels or a Trabant with Mercedes wheels. 😉

I like that, thanks a lot.

I don’t want Tuna with good taste, I want Tuna that tastes GOOD!

Attachments:

@BobC

So, which sauce you use to hide that fishy tuna taste and smell?

If users don’t like our default ‘shitty IceWM’ all-in-one distro, tough!
    There are plenty of other distros to choose from.

Now – please test beta2 for bugs and forget the aesthetics and trying to turn antiX into ex-(L)Ubuntu!

I haven’t finished reading this thread yet, but I just wanted to say I am 100% in agreement with this comment. You go anticapitalista! Nicely said.

Seaken64

I installed b2 on LiveUSB today. It is running just fine on my Core2Duo class laptop. I used the 32-bit version.

It seems to be the consensus that newbies are afraid of text and will only accept a distro that meets their idea of good looks. It’s a good thing I don’t subscribe to those ideas since my first impression of the wall paper was “yuck!” – I hated it. And I said to myself “what happened to that nice picture that was used in b1?” But I think it’s silly to make a decision about a distro based on the default wallpaper. I hated several of the past default wallpapers too, especially the shells in the sand. Fortunately I know it’s possible to change the wallpaper to whatever I like.

And I don’t see the difference to the seeing the text splash screens over the scrolling text. I guess I am just dense. But it doesn’t bother me whatever is on the boot screen. I’ll learn how to change it later. And won’t a newbie also find the boot menu confusing? “What is grub?” they’ll say. Makes no difference. I think it is an impossible task to formulate a screen for the whims of every possible user who has their own opinion of what is “best” or “better” than what you like.

Does it work? Does antiX help me get more life out of my no-longer-supported-because-it-won’t run-Windows-10 computer? Great! I’ll learn how to set it up and make it suit my tastes later. If I can’t make it work for me, no mater how many nice pictures and colors it presents to me, I will move on to something else.

Thank you for antiX. It’s a great distro. I’m so glad it is not trying to be something it is not (Ubuntu, Lubuntu, whatever).

Seaken64

$ inxi -Fxrz
    System:
      Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.9.182-antix.1-486-smp i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc 
      v: 8.3.0 Desktop: IceWM 1.5.5+git20190610 
      Distro: antiX-19.b2_386-full Marielle Franco 13 July 2019 
      base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 
    Machine:
      Type: Portable System: Gateway product: MT6728 v: 3409246R 
      serial: <filter> 
      Mobo: Gateway model: N/A v: 93.09 serial: <filter> BIOS: Phoenix v: 93.09 
      date: 11/21/2007 
    Battery:
      ID-1: BAT1 charge: 12.4 Wh condition: 12.4/53.3 Wh (23%) 
      model: SIMPLO MAL32b status: Unknown 
    CPU:
      Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Pentium Dual T2330 bits: 64 type: MCP 
      arch: Core Merom rev: D L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
      flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 bogomips: 6384 
      Speed: 1067 MHz min/max: 800/1600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1067 2: 1333 
    Graphics:
      Device-1: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics vendor: Gateway 
      driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
      Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
      resolution: 1280x800~60Hz 
      OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2 v: 2.1 Mesa 18.3.6 
      direct render: Yes 
    Audio:
      Device-1: Intel 82801H HD Audio vendor: Gateway driver: snd_hda_intel 
      v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
      Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.182-antix.1-486-smp 
    Network:
      Device-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet 
      vendor: Gateway RTL810xE driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 
      bus ID: 06:00.0 
      IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> 
      Device-2: Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Adapter 
      type: USB driver: rtl8187 bus ID: 1-1:2 
      IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
    Drives:
      Local Storage: total: 156.51 GiB used: 1.17 GiB (0.7%) 
      ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD1600BEVS-22RST0 
      size: 149.05 GiB 
      ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Cruzer Edge size: 7.45 GiB 
    Partition:
      ID-1: / size: 1.55 GiB used: 48.9 MiB (3.1%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
      ID-2: swap-1 size: 3.95 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6 
    Sensors:
      System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0 C mobo: N/A 
      Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
    Repos:
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list 
      1: deb http://iso.mxrepo.com/antix/buster buster main nonfree
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list 
      1: deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list 
      1: deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ buster main contrib non-free
      2: deb http://security.debian.org/ buster/updates main contrib non-free
      No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/onion.list 
      No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list 
    Info:
      Processes: 133 Uptime: 4h 29m Memory: 1.96 GiB used: 388.6 MiB (19.4%) 
      Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 
      inxi: 3.0.33 

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by seaken64.

I’d be just fine with an almost blank grub screen that just says antiX 19 in normal text at the top with the same background color as the wallpaper, and nothing special at all needed while it boots, either, especially now that most of the text scroll is turned off by default at boot. No graphics at all needed for me, there. That saves 16 mb of memory on this machine because of the silly Optimus graphics card built in.

I do think that the pic of the desktop on Distrowatch and the reviews does matter though. Basically, it just shouldn’t be a turn-off for people who are the audience anti expects will like the OS, or they might not try it to find out how good it is. The other OS’s in general are really pokey, like half speed, and that’s where antiX really shines.

Would anyone be interested in a Dynamic “Drives” submenu for IceWM? You do have to exit back to the main menu and reclick it to get it to reread the drives. It then uses desktop-defaults-run to open the drive you click with the file manager…

I tested it with a CDROM, Floppy, SDHC, Internal SSD, and a hard drive mounted via USB

The script to do it was short, but tricky for someone with my skill level or lack thereof, LOL…

I do think that the pic of the desktop on Distrowatch and the reviews does matter though.

Aaand — the DistroWatch preseeents … aaant-iX! 😉

Hi anticapitalista,

I tried the 19b2 on my old P-III/1Ghz/512MbRAM machine. I had a challenge getting it to boot since this machine doesn’t boot from USB. But I managed to figure it out using Plop. When I tried using the DVD to boot I kept getting a lot of I/O errors. Eventually it just hung up and I had to power down. When I used the USB it worked.

I don’t know if it is a bug, but when I first got the Live desktop up and running I looked at the menu (the default Rox-IceWM) and the Applications menu had only one entry for Synaptic. All the other entries for that menu were missing. I selected “Update Menu” and it fixed it. The CC worked fine and the terminal. Only had that one glitch.

I’ve used Package Manager to install SeaMonkey. It works fine. I tested SMTube, it works fine. All-in-all I think this version is better OOTB for this machine than was version 17. I’ll be testing some more but so far so good on this ancient kit!

Thank you,
    Seaken64

Here’s the inxi:

$ inxi -Fxrz
    System:
      Host: antix19b2 Kernel: 4.9.182-antix.1-486-smp i686 bits: 32 
      compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: IceWM 1.5.5+git20190610 
      Distro: antiX-19.b2_386-full Marielle Franco 13 July 2019 
      base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 
    Machine:
      Type: Desktop System: Compaq product: Deskpro v: N/A serial: <filter> 
      Mobo: Compaq model: 0684h serial: <filter> BIOS: Compaq v: 686P2 v2.04 
      date: 08/25/2000 
    CPU:
      Topology: Single Core model: Pentium III (Coppermine) bits: 32 type: MCP 
      arch: P6 III Coppermine rev: 6 L2 cache: 256 KiB 
      flags: pae sse bogomips: 1993 
      Speed: 997 MHz min/max: N/A Core speed (MHz): 1: 997 
    Graphics:
      Device-1: NVIDIA NV11 [GeForce2 MX200] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nouveau 
      v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
      Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: nouveau 
      unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1024x768~85Hz 
      OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI nv11 x86/MMX/SSE v: 1.2 Mesa 18.3.6 
      direct render: Yes 
    Audio:
      Device-1: Intel 82801BA/BAM AC97 Audio vendor: Compaq Deskpro EN 
      driver: snd_intel8x0 v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.5 
      Device-2: Brooktree Bt878 Video Capture 
      vendor: Hauppauge works WinTV Series driver: bttv v: 0.9.19 
      bus ID: 02:09.0 
      Device-3: Brooktree Bt878 Audio Capture 
      vendor: Hauppauge works WinTV Series driver: snd_bt87x v: kernel 
      bus ID: 02:09.1 
      Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.182-antix.1-486-smp 
    Network:
      Device-1: Intel 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet 
      vendor: Compaq EtherExpress PRO/100 VM driver: e100 v: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI 
      port: 1000 bus ID: 02:08.0 
      IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
    Drives:
      Local Storage: total: 249.67 GiB used: 4.76 GiB (1.9%) 
      ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Maxtor model: 6L100P0 size: 93.16 GiB 
      ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD1600JB-00REA0 
      size: 149.05 GiB 
      ID-3: /dev/sde type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Cruzer Edge size: 7.45 GiB 
    Partition:
      ID-1: / size: 14.38 GiB used: 3.64 GiB (25.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb13 
      ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.00 GiB used: 444 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5 
    Sensors:
    Repos:
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list 
      1: deb http://iso.mxrepo.com/antix/buster buster main nonfree
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list 
      1: deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list 
      1: deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ buster main contrib non-free
      2: deb http://security.debian.org/ buster/updates main contrib non-free
      No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/onion.list 
      No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list 
    Info:
      Processes: 139 Uptime: 1h 22m Memory: 495.9 MiB used: 140.8 MiB (28.4%) 
      Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 
      inxi: 3.0.33 

rayluorayluo

It seems that the adobe flash support is not available in antiX 19 b2. Is that intended? Back in the old (antiX 17) days, Out-Of-The-Box flash support was a proudly announced feature.

PS: If you haven’t already, this is an additive flash game for you. 🙂 https://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/dice/dice.swf

Adobe (Macromedia) Flash was a disease.
    ‘Internet’ was sick for a long time.
    It got deprecated and gone.
    Thanks Steve (Jobs)!
    Cured again…

Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

iso-snapshot
    clicking Help}}About
    opens a file manager window, plus a roxterm window with a msg about “mount”ing mxlinux.org

Also, when iso-snapshot is launched from terminal emulator, numerous error messages are observed, including
    “chmod: cannot access ‘/home/*/Desktop/minstall.desktop’: no such file or directory\n”

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by skidoo.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by skidoo.
    masinickmasinick

I just wanted to weigh in today because I’ve been relatively quiet with respect to antiX 19 efforts, other than 1-2 notes at most.

I’ve had extremely good success with antiX 19, in particular the b2 updates. The other day though I had even better success using one of our recovery tools!

Here’s the story:

I was using another distribution to manage the bootloader because of the fact that I was running test software here.
    During one of my bootloader updates, I had to unexpectedly terminate the update and it resulted in the bootloader entry being corrupt and incomplete.
    This, of course, rendered all of my systems at least temporarily unbootable. The distribution I was using to boot happened to have a recent USB update that I created and saved, so I booted it, expecting (as I’ve always had with MEPIS, MX, and antiX) a convenient way to either restore the boot record on any partition, MBR, or EFI/UEFI configuration. Well, it LOOKED like it worked, but every time I rebooted I was back to the same old issue.

My solution was to take out my antiX USB snapshot of my recently created build. Naturally I could boot it, but happily I also noted in the menu the ability to find, use, recover, or correct faulty boot records. The one from the distro I had been booting from got corrupted or removed, but there were nicely some boot entries from MX and antiX, so I used the antiX snapshot boot recovery tool to set up by bootloader from MX and it worked perfectly! Note that I ran the tool that FIXED my problem from our toolchest in antiX-19-b2-full!

Another story of a big win, and keep in mind, we don’t even have 100% of the work for antiX 19 complete. Great job, as always, on our overall distribution and our excellent toolchest!

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 206 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.