antiX-19-b2-full (64 and 32 bit) available

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-b2-full (64 and 32 bit) available

• This topic has 205 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated Aug 21-4:47 pm by rej.
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 206 total)
  • Author

Would any of you be willing to try my IceWM keys file on antiX19b2?

Just me testing it isn’t enough…

You need to open the zip file and unzip the keys file to ~/.icewm Please let me know what problems you find or suggestions for improvement. There is a copy of the current stock file in /etc/skel/.icewm if you want to go back to current stock

########################################################################
    ### BobC 08/14/19 – Summary of changes for antiX19
    ### Fixed lower volume key
    ### Fixed mute key by moving to Alt+Ctrl+KP_Insert (the 0 key on keypad)
    ### Many multimedia keys added
    ### Added print key to do a screenshot on Print key like MX
    ### Moved main WinGrid keys to Alt+Ctrl on the number row to stop unexpected actions due to conflicts with major apps like Firefox
    ### Added WinGrid Grow, Shrink and Center keys
    ### Added 2nd set of WinGrid keys on Ctrl+Shift+KP_RoseKeys matching WinArrange on Alt+Ctrl+KP_RoseKeys from preferences
    ### Added App-Select on Ctrl+Space

Attachments:
    1. keys.zip

BobC-

Don’t know if this will be of any help. I have never used shortcut keys, but thought I might try it. Please just disregard post if not useful. The table at the bottom is how unfamiliar keys were identified. This testing was done on a T60p x64 ThinkPad – no separate numbers keypad. Tried to boot the hard drive on a HP 470 G3 that has that extra numbers keypad and it would not recognize it on boot – it seems to like some HDs and not others (why I prefer ThinkPads). If it would be of any help to try it on other ThinkPads – (all x64) T420 [Intel], T520 [nVidia],or T450s [Intel]. be happy to do so.

key "Alt+Ctrl+1" wingrid-left.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+2" wingrid-right.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+3" wingrid-top.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+4" wingrid-bottom.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+5" wingrid-topleft.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+6" wingrid-topright.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+7" wingrid-bottomleft.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+8" wingrid-bottomright.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+9" wingrid-maximize.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+0" wingrid-close.sh [works - When closed, it re-opens where it was left at.]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+minus" wingrid-shrink.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+equal" wingrid-grow.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+plus" wingrid-grow.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+grave" wingrid-center.sh [works]

---

these do the same thing:

[Will keep getting larger - beyond the borders and need to use the open window button "move" and get it above the bottom panel to a corner to resize it and then move it the same way again.]
    -----------------
    --------------
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Left" wingrid-left.sh # Left-Move window to Left [Highlights word to the left]
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Right" wingrid-right.sh # Right-Move window to Right  [Highlights word to the right]
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Up" wingrid-top.sh # Up-Move window Top  [Highlights phrase above]
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Down" wingrid-bottom.sh # Down-Move window to Bottom  [Highlights phrase below]
    --------------------
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Home" wingrid-topleft.sh # Home-Move window to Top Left [Highlights all text in document]
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Prior" wingrid-topright.sh # PgUp-Move window Top Right [Highlights paragraph -no window movement.]
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_End" wingrid-bottomleft.sh # End-Move window to Bottom Left [Highlights a chunk of random text in document]
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Next" wingrid-bottomright.sh # PgDn-Move window to Bottom Right [Highlights last two characters in paragraph -no window movement.]
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Insert" wingrid-maximize.sh # 0-Maximize window [Works]
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Begin" wingrid-center.sh # 5-Center window [Don't know which key is "Begin".]
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Delete" wingrid-close.sh # .-Close window [Cursor changes to black rectangle and cannot undo it. Deletes and replaces text while typing - had to close and document to get the cursor back
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Add" wingrid-grow.sh # +-Grow window]
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Subtract" wingrid-shrink.sh # --Shrink window [ Doesn't do anything.]
    ### app-select on Ctrl+Space
    key "Ctrl+Space" app-select [Works]
    ------------------------
    #Set Volume
    key "Alt+Ctrl+KP_Divide" amixer -c 0 set Master 5- # lower volume [/=Divide? Does nothing -streaming video running. Volume does not change.]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+KP_Multiply" amixer -c 0 set Master 5+ # raise volume [*=Multiply? Moves Window to lower right]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+KP_Insert" amixer sset Master toggle # mute on/off [Doesn't do anything.]

===================

key	keysym
    ------------------
    Home	Home
    End	End
    Page Up	Prior
    Page Down	Next
    ↑ arrow	Up
    ↓ arrow	Down
    → arrow	Right
    ← arrow	Left
    Return	Return
    Space	space
    Tab	Tab
    ⌫ Backspace	Backspace
    ⌦ Delete	Delete
    Escape	Escape
    F1	F1
    F2	F2
    F3	F3
    ▤ Menu	Menu
    Print Screen	Print
    Scroll Lock	Scroll_Lock
    Pause	Pause/Break
    key	keysym
    Num Lock	Num_Lock
    keypad +	KP_Add
    keypad -	KP_Subtract
    keypad *	KP_Multiply
    keypad /	KP_Divide
    keypad enter	KP_Enter
    keypad .	KP_Decimal
    keypad 0	KP_0
    keypad 1	KP_1
    keypad 2	KP_2
    Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracledolphin_oracle

just sent some installer changes up to the git repo for anti to review. hopefully taking care of the issue with failure during formatting partitions when automount is enabled.

rej, Thank you for testing. You proved why its important for multiple people to test things. I changed the group of WinGrid keys in the revised keys file attached to this post. Please give it a try…

these do the same thing:
    key “Alt+Ctrl+equal” wingrid-grow.sh [works]
    key “Alt+Ctrl+plus” wingrid-grow.sh [works]

—Yes, that was intentional so that Grow worked on the + key even if it wasn’t shifted. I can remove that if you think it confusing—

[Will keep getting larger – beyond the borders and need to use the open window button “move” and get it above the bottom panel to a corner to resize it and then move it the same way again.]

—I will have to look at that one. It did not repeat on mine. I wonder if you don’t have the status bar allowed for in your settings, and therefore its growing over top of it. I noticed that the default was for the bottom windows to grow over the status bar, so on mine I changed ~/.config/wingrid/wingrid.conf to have: WINHEIGHT_MORE=24
    at line 27 instead of the default =0. Please try again with that setting, and if it still has trouble, test with only antiX Control Centre (so I know how to repeat your results) and send a screen shot of it growing while you can still see the screen resolution in the conky.

key “Ctrl+Shift+KP_Left” wingrid-left.sh # Left-Move window to Left [Highlights word to the left]
    key “Ctrl+Shift+KP_Right” wingrid-right.sh # Right-Move window to Right [Highlights word to the right]
    key “Ctrl+Shift+KP_Up” wingrid-top.sh # Up-Move window Top [Highlights phrase above]
    key “Ctrl+Shift+KP_Down” wingrid-bottom.sh # Down-Move window to Bottom [Highlights phrase below]
    key “Ctrl+Shift+KP_Home” wingrid-topleft.sh # Home-Move window to Top Left [Highlights all text in document]
    key “Ctrl+Shift+KP_Prior” wingrid-topright.sh # PgUp-Move window Top Right [Highlights paragraph -no window movement.]
    key “Ctrl+Shift+KP_End” wingrid-bottomleft.sh # End-Move window to Bottom Left [Highlights a chunk of random text in document]
    key “Ctrl+Shift+KP_Next” wingrid-bottomright.sh # PgDn-Move window to Bottom Right [Highlights last two characters in paragraph -no window movement.]
    key “Ctrl+Shift+KP_Insert” wingrid-maximize.sh # 0-Maximize window [Works]
    key “Ctrl+Shift+KP_Begin” wingrid-center.sh # 5-Center window [Don’t know which key is “Begin”.]
    key “Ctrl+Shift+KP_Delete” wingrid-close.sh # .-Close window [Cursor changes to black rectangle and cannot undo it. Deletes and replaces text while typing – had to close and document to get the cursor back
    key “Ctrl+Shift+KP_Add” wingrid-grow.sh # +-Grow window]
    key “Ctrl+Shift+KP_Subtract” wingrid-shrink.sh # –Shrink window [ Doesn’t do anything.]

—I think the problem here is that you are running a program that also expects to control those key combinations. I’ve found that it works on Super+Ctrl_KP_RoseKeys if I map them there, so have done that in the keys attached to this post. Please try it and see if that fixes it or causes some other problem.

#Set Volume
    key “Alt+Ctrl+KP_Divide” amixer -c 0 set Master 5- # lower volume [/=Divide? Does nothing -streaming video running. Volume does not change.]
    key “Alt+Ctrl+KP_Multiply” amixer -c 0 set Master 5+ # raise volume [*=Multiply? Moves Window to lower right]
    key “Alt+Ctrl+KP_Insert” amixer sset Master toggle # mute on/off [Doesn’t do anything.]

—I’m not sure why you are having problems with those, as the Volume Up/Down are on the same keys they always have been on antiX, and I just fixed the syntax of volume down by 1 character to make it work. That said, the Mute key being before used didn’t work on mine and that’s why I moved it to Alt+Ctrl+KP_Insert (the 0 key). Please suggest a better arrangement that everyone could use if you can.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by BobC.
    Attachments:
    1. keys-1.zip

BobC –

—Yes, that was intentional so that Grow worked on the + key even if it wasn’t shifted. I can remove that if you think it confusing—

Discussion regarding confusion over + and – in a drop down Gnome terminal and international/European keyboards. what people generally assume those keys do:

** 44:44 minutes into video begins discussion and ends 50:00.

Big Daddy Linux Live! 8-3-19

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODwwPSjZx9w&pbjreload=10]
    (the brackets are there so it doesn’t open up the video in the forum.)

—I will have to look at that one. It did not repeat on mine.

You are right – I wasn’t thinking correctly – The largest screen goes below the panel (mine is on the bottom), therefore the lower corner of the document cannot be reached to resize, which is the way I am used to doing it (or using the alt-click method). But it never dawned on me to use “Alt+Ctrl+minus”, because I don’t normally use Shortcut keys.

—I think the problem here is that you are running a program that also expects to control those key combinations. I’ve found that it works on Super+Ctrl_KP_RoseKeys if I map them there, so have done that in the keys attached to this post. Please try it and see if that fixes it or causes some other problem.

Tried the new file with the “Super+Ctrl” [“Windows key” = “Super Key?] replacements and they did nothing – no highlighting, like the audio, tried again no difference in volume – whether vlc or streaming Youtube and no change in Pulseaudio or Alsamixer.

I don’t know what programs would interfere – what type would that be? “dpkg –get-selections” is a long list, but I could attach it. Would Xfce DE be interfering? It can easily be uninstalled. Would it be hardware? Can try a newer laptop. The installed programs are typical – Gimp, Pinta, Redshift, Geoclue, Xscreensaver, Onboard, Catfish, Flameshot [similar to Screenshot], Chrome browser, Xfce Screenshot, Xfce Screenshooter, Xfce Appfinder, Xfce power Mngr, Exo-utils, Tumbler [for Thunar thumbnails], VLC, Xautolock, Indicator-LockKeys [System tray indicator for Capslock – for slim model laptops with no keylock light feature], Firejail.

I can start over with a fresh installation and use only 2 extensions in Firefox -Ublock Origin and AdblockPlus (or not), Flameshot (or not), Keylock indicator (or not) and Gimp, if it is not already there, and just use default programs.Can also install fresh, or snapshot of one of the 2 complete installations testing with currently on a much newer laptop, including the HP 470 G3 [only device with separate keypad].

I will try to figure out what the issue is, in case it is me, with your instructions and searches online.

Hopefully, someone with more experience in this arena will jump in assist in testing, also.

rej, I would suggest trying an external keyboard, and that will tell you if it works that its a laptop issue, perhaps with the keyboard configured.

Once past that I would suggest trying
    xev | awk -F'[ )]+' '/^KeyPress/ { a[NR+2] } NR in a { printf "%-3s %s\n", $5, $8 }'

BobC –

Sorry – don’t have an external keyboard.

Would the HP 470 G3 with the extra keypad work? It is a 17″ with a larger keyboard.

Ok, I suggest checking to see if your laptop is configured for the correct keyboard, and once you have the best configuration set, find out what keypad rose keys you have available.

Some of mine don’t, and for those I try to use an external keyboard when practical.

If that doesn’t work, then you will need to use the WinGrid keys on the number row instead.

I listened to part of that podcast, and that was the same reasoning that I used. If programs that they use all the time don’t require the shift, they will be used to not using shift when zooming, find it odd to need to shift. To accommodate those with keyboards where the + key was a separate or mapped key, I made it work when shifted to a + as well.

I suspect you will have better luck with the 17″ HP, but no longer have a working one of those myself, as my last one died a couple months back.

PS: If you are using the mapping where I added the multimedia keys, look for function keys on your keyboard for raising, lowering and muting the volume. They should work if the correct keyboard is configured via Control Centre, System, Set System Keyboard Layout. The key they work on varies from model to model, but if the keys are set to work for those XF86 functions, my keys file should make them operable as you would expect them to work.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by BobC.

BobC –

Ok, I suggest checking to see if your laptop is configured for the correct keyboard, and once you have the best configuration set, find out what keypad rose keys you have available.

I apologize for my inexperience – never did this before – What are “rose keys” and how do I do that?

Most keypads double as a compass rose with 4 arrow keys etc, and I have programmed IceWM to use all those keys to resize to 1/4 or 1/2 screen size and then move the active window around your screen to whatever side or corner you want just by pointing on the keypad rose.

Ps: I also added the center option

Attachments:

BobC-

Everything works perfectly. However, could not determine where “Begin” key is on keypad – not tested.

Don’t think there are XF86 keys.

### Wingrid on Ctrl+ 1 thru 0 on number row
    key "Alt+Ctrl+1" wingrid-left.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+2" wingrid-right.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+3" wingrid-top.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+4" wingrid-bottom.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+5" wingrid-topleft.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+6" wingrid-topright.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+7" wingrid-bottomleft.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+8" wingrid-bottomright.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+9" wingrid-maximize.sh [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+0" wingrid-close.s [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+minus" wingrid-shrink.sh [works]
    ### Wingrid on Super+Ctrl+ KP rose
    key "Super+Ctrl+KP_Left" wingrid-left.sh # Left-Move window to Left [works] 
    key "Super+Ctrl+KP_Right" wingrid-right.sh # Right-Move window to Right [works] 
    key "Super+Ctrl+KP_Up" wingrid-top.sh # Up-Move window Top [works] 
    key "Super+Ctrl+KP_Down" wingrid-bottom.sh # Down-Move window to Bottom [works] 
    key "Super+Ctrl+KP_Home" wingrid-topleft.sh # Home-Move window to Top Left [works] 
    key "Super+Ctrl+KP_Prior" wingrid-topright.sh # PgUp-Move window Top Right [works] 
    key "Super+Ctrl+KP_End" wingrid-bottomleft.sh # End-Move window to Bottom Left [works] 
    key "Super+Ctrl+KP_Next" wingrid-bottomright.sh # PgDn-Move window to Bottom Right [works] 
    key "Super+Ctrl+KP_Insert" wingrid-maximize.sh # 0-Maximize window [works]

key "Super+Ctrl+KP_Begin" wingrid-center.sh # 5-Center window [Begin - what key?]
    key "Super+Ctrl+KP_Delete" wingrid-close.sh # .-Close window [works]
    key "Super+Ctrl+KP_Add" wingrid-grow.sh # +-Grow window [works]
    key "Super+Ctrl+KP_Subtract" wingrid-shrink.sh # --Shrink window [works]
    ### app-select on Ctrl+Space
    key "Ctrl+Space" app-select [works]
    ### Previously assigned keys follow 
    ### suggested
    key "Alt+F2" gexec [works]

#Set Volume
    key "Alt+Ctrl+KP_Divide" amixer -c 0 set Master 5- # lower volume [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+KP_Multiply" amixer -c 0 set Master 5+ # raise volume [works]
    key "Alt+Ctrl+KP_Insert" amixer sset Master toggle # mute on/off [works]

The begin key is the 5 key in the middle, it resizes the window and puts it in the center.

It does say right next to it 🙂
    5-Center window

The multimedia keys are in the latest updates, but you can add them yourself. You can look to see if you have the print key or not…

###Added the antixscreenshot on the Print key (same as MX)
    key "Print" antixscreenshot.sh

###Added the more common multimedia keys
    ###Multimedia keys
    key "XF86AudioLowerVolume"	amixer sset Master 5%-
    key "XF86AudioRaiseVolume"	amixer sset Master 5%+
    key "XF86AudioMute"		amixer sset Master toggle
    key "XF86AudioPlay"		xmms --play-pause
    key "XF86AudioStop"		xmms --stop
    key "XF86AudioPrev"		xmms --rew
    key "XF86AudioNext"		xmms --fwd
    key "XF86AudioRecord"	simplescreenrecorder 
    key "XF86HomePage"		desktop-defaults-run -b --new-window
    key "XF86Search"		desktop-defaults-run -b http://www.duckduckgo.com
    key "XF86Eject"			unplugdrive.sh
    key "XF86Calculator"	/bin/sh -c "galculator || gnome-calculator || xcalc || ( type bc >/dev/null 2>&1 && xterm -e bc -l)"
    key "XF86Mail"			desktop-defaults-run -e

Attachments:

Hope this isn’t a duplicate.

Installer failed with an 256gb Lenovo SSD pulled from a working FrankenPad and wiped. Partitioned with GParted on install, 8gb swap first, 40gb partition for antiX19 beta 2 for testing on external drive.

Installer – selected partitions, started to install and “Failed to format required partitions” – checked “OK” – Installer Box turned grey and no longer functioned.

“Want to quit” – “no” – cursor turns into a watch icon and stays that way. Can move through screens but gets stuck at 2% progress.

Tried several times with same result. Re-partitioned from MX that is on the internal drive, tried again on external SSD – same result.

Wiped, re-partitioned same way, installed MX 18 – no problem.

Created a partition to dual boot with beta 19 – installed antiX 19 – no problem.

Wiped drive, set same partitions in MX, tried antiX beta 19 again, same fail.

Tried using a ThinkPad T60p and HP 470 G3 both x64 – same result.
    ————————
    Update: Beta 3 – same drive – No problem!

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by rej.

C.C. GUI before and after changing DPI –

[Added Note: Lately, when entering an attachment to post, it becomes huge and cuts off areas of the picture – in this case, the top is lopped off.]

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by rej.
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 206 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.