antiX-19-b2-full (64 and 32 bit) available

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-b2-full (64 and 32 bit) available

• This topic has 205 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated Aug 21-4:47 pm by rej.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 206 total)
  • Author
    XecureXecure

From the b1 section over on the MX linux forum: antiX-19-b1-full64 -feedback
    https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=50923&start=90#p514563

Trying to follow the conversation here is tricky. I have finished reading all of the replies on MX. Let us start compiling the information instead of having it so spread out.

You pc is:

Asus Prime 370X-Pro
    AMD Ryzen 1600X (6 cores @ 3.6 GHz)
    16 Gig DDR4 3200 (G Skill)
    Nvidia -MSI GeForce GT 710 fanless
    Samsung 960 NVMe SSD nvme0n1 P1,P2, and P3=MX-18, P4=antiX-19 beta
    2TB WD sda1= data
    on-board ethernet &and sound

So it is a desktop computer. Your monitor is connected to the Nvidia graphic card.

From the beta1
    Audio:
    Device-1: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
    Device-2: AMD Family 17h HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
    Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.176-antix.1-amd64-smp

From the working mx-18
    Audio: Device-1: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
    Device-2: AMD driver: snd_hda_intel
    Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.18-antix.1-amd64-smp

So in both antiX and MX, the audio driver is HDA Intel. We shall remember this.

You have tested changing channels, changing cards and installing updates. You have tested if the device was muted in AlsaMixer (an M) and saw that all is well here. You have already edited asound.conf files but no results.

What about kernel versions, might a newer kernel work differently, though this is 4.9.167 !

You suggested it in one of the MX forum comments, but I gather you didn’t update your kernel to a 4.19 version (it isn’t that easy if you don’t remaster first before using the Live-USB kernel updater). We will explore this option as a last resort.

Also are you meaning to get hdmi audio? If not you probably need to set the asound.conf file to specify card 2 not 1

Dave has been agile here and asked an important question, but I seemed to have read you have already tried this. You are using Device 2 (the AMD chipset one), so my guess is that you are using outside speakers connected by a jack port to your motherboard. Please confirm.

The launchstring for “Test Sound” item seen in controlCenter is
    urxvt -e speaker-test –channels 2 –test wav –nloops 3

Have you tried executing that command from terminal, to check for any error messages displayed?

This is also important. Go to your terminal and execute:
    speaker-test --channels 2 --test wav --nloops 3
    I saw you already tried it. Try to also increase the volume before starting the test. If some error pops up, post it here.

Try this. Select the motherboard sound card (The AMD one) using the card selector program, then play an audio file and then go check if there are any errors with dmesg
    dmesg | grep "HDA Intel"
    Paste it here.

If we still can’t do anything, probably you will have to update the kernel. If it is too difficult for you, let me know and I will update the kernel in my Virtual environment to 4.19, create an ISO snapshot and share it with you.

speaker-test --channels 2 --test wav --nloops 3
    I saw you already tried it.

urxvt -e speaker-test --channels 2 --test wav --nloops 3

testing this exact launchstring would check//ruleout any problem introduced by the controlCenter launcher

Thanks, anti, I see the “default” theme is back for IceWM. I like that one, as its like a cleaner, more modern, metal2 clone.

I’m testing the 64 bit version now… The install went well, no issues except needing to know where to go to connect WiFi, a problem only newbies would have.

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracledolphin_oracle

that is a good looking desktop! wow!

there are a few packageinstaller entries that are out of date. I’ve already been working on updating some, so I’ll send those to anti directly.

there is an “additional drivers” app showing up in “system” I haven’t seen it actually do anything related to “drivers”.

ps. still can’t get over how good icewm looks. gee-how.

and I’m digging the new “antiX” menu. might be good to throw a few more items in there (X-antiX category I think, right?) if you want ddm-mx in there, I can update it.

one other thing…now that “keyboard layouts” has a menu entry, might not need lxkeyboard anymore?

Same problem with “ufw” firewall for beta 1 exists for beta 2.

Running as Live USB device.

$ uname -a
    Linux antix1 4.9.182-antix.1-amd64-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 18 20:04:06 EEST 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    $ sudo ufw enable

ERROR: problem running ufw-init
    iptables-restore v1.8.2 (nf_tables): unknown option "--icmp-type"
    Error occurred at line: 34
    Try  iptables-restore -h' or 'iptables-restore --help' for more information.
    ip6tables-restore v1.8.2 (nf_tables): unknown option "--icmpv6-type"
    Error occurred at line: 36
    Try  ip6tables-restore -h' or 'ip6tables-restore --help' for more information.

Problem running '/etc/ufw/before.rules'
    Problem running '/etc/ufw/before6.rules'
    demo@antix1:~
    $ cd /usr/share/ufw

demo@antix1:/usr/share/ufw
    $ sudo ./check-requirements 
    Has python: pass (binary: python2.7, version: 2.7.16, py2)
    Has iptables: pass
    Has ip6tables: pass

Has /proc/net/dev: pass
    Has /proc/net/if_inet6: pass

This script will now attempt to create various rules using the iptables
    and ip6tables commands. This may result in module autoloading (eg, for
    IPv6).
    Proceed with checks (Y/n)? y
    == IPv4 ==
    Creating 'ufw-check-requirements'... done
    Inserting RETURN at top of 'ufw-check-requirements'... done
    TCP: pass
    UDP: pass
    destination port: pass
    source port: pass
    ACCEPT: pass
    DROP: pass
    REJECT: pass
    LOG: pass
    hashlimit: pass
    limit: pass
    ctstate (NEW): pass
    ctstate (RELATED): pass
    ctstate (ESTABLISHED): pass
    ctstate (INVALID): pass
    ctstate (new, recent set): pass
    ctstate (new, recent update): pass
    ctstate (new, limit): pass
    interface (input): pass
    interface (output): pass
    multiport: pass
    comment: pass
    addrtype (LOCAL): pass
    addrtype (MULTICAST): pass
    addrtype (BROADCAST): pass
    icmp (destination-unreachable): FAIL
    error was: iptables v1.8.2 (nf_tables): unknown option "--icmp-type"
    Try  iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
    icmp (source-quench): FAIL
    icmp (time-exceeded): FAIL
    icmp (parameter-problem): FAIL
    icmp (echo-request): FAIL

== IPv6 ==
    Creating 'ufw-check-requirements6'... done
    Inserting RETURN at top of 'ufw-check-requirements6'... done
    TCP: pass
    UDP: pass
    destination port: pass
    source port: pass
    ACCEPT: pass
    DROP: pass
    REJECT: pass
    LOG: pass
    hashlimit: pass
    limit: pass
    ctstate (NEW): pass
    ctstate (RELATED): pass
    ctstate (ESTABLISHED): pass
    ctstate (INVALID): pass
    ctstate (new, recent set): pass
    ctstate (new, recent update): pass
    ctstate (new, limit): pass
    interface (input): pass
    interface (output): pass
    multiport: pass
    comment: pass
    icmpv6 (destination-unreachable): FAIL
    error was: ip6tables v1.8.2 (nf_tables): unknown option "--icmpv6-type"
    Try  ip6tables -h' or 'ip6tables --help' for more information.
    icmpv6 (packet-too-big): FAIL
    icmpv6 (time-exceeded): FAIL
    icmpv6 (parameter-problem): FAIL
    icmpv6 (echo-request): FAIL
    icmpv6 with hl (neighbor-solicitation): FAIL
    icmpv6 with hl (neighbor-advertisement): FAIL
    icmpv6 with hl (router-solicitation): FAIL
    icmpv6 with hl (router-advertisement): FAIL
    ipv6 rt: pass

FAIL: check your kernel and that you have iptables >= 1.4.0
    demo@antix1:/usr/share/ufw

D.O., Try the IceWM WinArrange keys. They are soooo slick!

XecureXecure

Same problem with “ufw” firewall for beta 1 exists for beta 2.

Running as Live USB device.

$ uname -a
    Linux antix1 4.9.182-antix.1-amd64-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 18 20:04:06 EEST 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ sudo ufw enable

ERROR: problem running ufw-init
    iptables-restore v1.8.2 (nf_tables): unknown option “–icmp-type”
    Error occurred at line: 34
    Try iptables-restore -h’ or ‘iptables-restore –help’ for more information.
    ip6tables-restore v1.8.2 (nf_tables): unknown option “–icmpv6-type”
    Error occurred at line: 36
    Try ip6tables-restore -h’ or ‘ip6tables-restore –help’ for more information.

Problem running ‘/etc/ufw/before.rules’
    Problem running ‘/etc/ufw/before6.rules’

I didn’t see your report before. Try this out:
    Control Center > Network > Firewall Configuration
    On the Bottom Right you should see a buton that says Unlock, Click it. Then, move the slider at the top beside the words Firewall Status to enable the Firewall.
    Does that “fix” your problem?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Does here.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

eugen-beugen-b

The new look is very nice. Now there is no need to tell anybody to ignore the look and focus on the output of commands like free.

But there is one serious issue which I didn’t catch before: I’ve just tried to mount a btrfs partition and get “wrong filesystem type” on both terminal and SpaceFM.

$ sudo mount /dev/sdc3 /mnt
    mount: /mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc3, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

I tried on all amd64 versions from a1 to b2. Please, anybody try to reproduce.
    It might be that the btrfs partitions were created on a newer kernel and a different distro, hence the error.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by eugen-b.

good to throw a few more items in there

d_o was referring to the Applications –} antiX submenu

For the Applications –} System submenu, I’m posting to suǥǥest the opposite, i.e. splitting its entries across 2 submenus. Not joking or exaggerating, I had a hard time discovering the menu entry for the newly-added “App Select” menu item. Alphabetically first, its entry is out of view (1024×768 display, default icewm theme) until/unless you navigate to the correct submenu AND think to scroll up in order to view top-of-list.

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracledolphin_oracle

hey, rox-panel seems to be working correctly on spacefm desktop! nice! 🙂

good to throw a few more items in there

d_o was referring to the Applications –} antiX submenu

For the Applications –} System submenu, I’m posting to suǥǥest the opposite, i.e. splitting its entries across 2 submenus. Not joking or exaggerating, I had a hard time discovering the menu entry for the newly-added “App Select” menu item. Alphabetically first, its entry is out of view (1024×768 display, default icewm theme) until/unless you navigate to the correct submenu AND think to scroll up in order to view top-of-list.

could be tricky…most of the items in system aren’t strictly speaking antiX packages. put some of them like packageinstaller, boot-repair, repo-manager and codecs could be moved in the antiX submenu maybe.

I’m not sure why, but my system time came up wrong, and synaptic wouldn’t update.

I ran the Set Date and time in the Control Centre, but that didn’t fix it.

Xecure’s solution did fix it.
    sudo ntpdate pool.ntp.org

Hopefully it will stay corrected on a reboot…

I didn’t see your report before. Try this out:
    Control Center > Network > Firewall Configuration
    On the Bottom Right you should see a buton that says Unlock, Click it. Then, move the slider at the top beside the words Firewall Status to enable the Firewall.

It did fix the problem for me… But is this a “fix” that will not be needed on the final antiX19 version or will users still have to use CC- firewall configuration AND use the cli to run “sudo ufw enable”? For me that’s not very intuitive- you either user the cli or a GUI… using both should be a last resort only, mainly because the reputation that Linux has, that we still need to use the cli for many things (which scares newbies away- “Wait, I have to type a command to run a firewall??? No way!”)…

Now about the B2, all positive notes:
    -it looks really, really sharp: the new very basic and clean NoClue’s wallpaper looks great (I still love the default wallpaper, from the previous B1… Different styles, both look great).
    -The menu “mess” got a elegant solution, and the menu now looks much more usable.
    -antiX now includes “app-select”- but most users will not notice it or really know what it is- maybe it deserves a quick start icon on the toolbar?
    -I usually don’t manage my desktop icons using Rox or SpaceFM (I don’t normally use desktop icons on antiX)- so I didn’t really notice the memory use problem, but I’m glad you are already on the case…
    -Some CC icons changed, making them even more well suited!
    -The new Fluxbox styles look great- you should select one of the new ones as default 🙂 …
    I’ll have to do a more detailed “report” on that, one of the new styles (that I did not write down the name, but I believe was “numix” or the other new “gray” one???)had what I assume is a “bug”- the running window title is darker and it’s toolbar title is whiter, and the background windows title are whiter, but their toolbar titles are darker- I believe the colors of windows with focus should match in the focus/unfocused window title and the toolbar…

Edit: I believe this mismatch of “window title”‘s colors happens in the style “Modern Blue…”, the “problem” of the Numix theme is lack of contrast on Window Title’s: It’s black font on dark background… The folks that created both styles may want to tweak them for better looks out-of-the-box?… I can try “fixing” it on both themes, if anti thinks it’s worth doing…

-It’s not even a final version and it’s the best looking antiX version yet! Very, very good job, folks! It still runs light, but now, it looks as great as it runs (for example: try running using the default wallpaper, but choosing the JWM desktop and then select the “black” style and restart JWM. It looks, feels and behaves like a modern OS (yeah, critics may say: it still has a Windows 98/7 like Menu! I like this menu, and with a well configured toolbar I don’t even need, 90% of the time, to use the menu- with the “Exit” button next to the clock and my favorite icons on the toolbar (plus app-select), after you configured your antiX 19, you’ll hardly need to click the menu if you don’t want to, nor do I miss a dock. But it you want a “dock” Rox has you covered- it runs great as a dock, and it’s very simple to add new icons to it (that does not apply to adding new icons to the toolbar of JWM or IceWM)…

-Now some suggestions:

@Anticapitalista: While changing from the default IceWM to my preferred JWM I noticed that IceWM’s toolbar has a “show desktop” icon and JWM does not… Do you want me to change the tray file to include a show desktop?
    -I also noticed that in JWM, clicking the clock now makes the YAD calendar pop up 🙂 , but it IceWM it makes the cli calendar program pop up? Is that supposed to be like that in the final version, or do you want some feedback about which “calendar” is better?
    -One suggestion that slipped my mind before- SpaceFM looks great, almost like MX’s/XFCE Thunar, but I believe there’s something that does not match with the rest of the system: if you use the OS open/save menu you can choose for example “new volume” (the name of my secondary hd drive), but using SpaceFM it shows first it’s Linux naming scheme, for example, something like “sdb1”. It’s very easy to edit SpaceFM configurations to make the drive’s name show first, making it easier to “navigate” to it, besides matching the open/save antiX menu… If there’s any interest I can send you my configuration, anti…
    -One more thing: maybe the “time” options in CC should say something like “change time zone” (because it’s what they really do? So not to mislead newbies?)

P.

P.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by PPC.

I believe the colors of windows with focus should match in the focus/unfocused window title and the toolbar

The focused window titlebar color differentiation provides an important visual cue.
    For instance: when scrolling between workspaces and arriving at a workspace containing (4 or 9!) tiled, identically-sized terminal emulator windows

using SpaceFM it shows first it’s Linux naming scheme, for example, something like “sdb1”

Please don’t mess with this. The current default config is “sane, sensible” and should not be “prettified”. Consider: the volume labels of multiple attached devices can be ambiguous//identical. Example: during extended liveboot sessions, our machines sometimes have multiple copies of snapshotted liveUSB pendrives attached. Each (all) probably bear an identical volume label, ANTIX17. By convention here, at boottime only the boot device (sdb1) is attached… weeks later, regardless what devices have intermittently been attached, it is important to have “sdb1…” as the leftmost visible text in that spacefm pane.
    edit: Nevermind, it’s just one more pre-snapshot tweak. I’ll shush here, and yield to the “prettier == more gooder than ever” proponents.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by skidoo.

could be tricky…most of the items in system aren’t strictly speaking antiX packages.

loookit:
    Heuristically, “ROX Filer” and “ROXTerm” would be siblings of urxvt in Accessories submenu.
    ControlCenter {— redundant with top-level menu item
    Done.

Removal of those few entries should be sufficient to allow all remaining “System” submenu entries to display (default session, default theme), even at 800×600

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 206 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.