antiX-19-b2-full (64 and 32 bit) available

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-b2-full (64 and 32 bit) available

This topic contains 205 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by rej Aug 21-4:47 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 206 total)
  • Author
    PPC

The focused window titlebar color differentiation provides an important visual cue.

@Skidoo- Perhaps I didn’t convey my idea very well: What I meant was this:
    Using this particular Fluxbox Theme, when you look at the active window title (on the top part of it’s window), it has a dark background. But if you look for the window name in the taskbar, it comes up “whiter” (which is almost the color used for non active window’s title bar). I tested Fluxbox opening 2 terminals and I got confused about which terminal was active because if I looked at the window bar it was dark, if I looked at the taskbar panel it was lighter (that, at least to me was visually distracting, I kept clicking the taskbar for some seconds, until I figured out, that was really already the active window- it just had a light color on the taskbar and a dark title window)… Usually brighter windows title colors inform the user where is the active window… Maybe it’s just me that found that confusing? It’s no biggie, I can change that in less than a minute… but it’s such a modern and good looking style that I thought I should suggest the change…

About the SpaceFM display of a volume’s label- I’ve been changing the volume’s name to be the first thing displayed in SpaceFM since I realized how to do that, because I find it easier to read my drives/partition’s names than decrypting their Linux “denomination” … But if it by any means provides dangerous/confusing to users, please disregard that comment…

P.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
    Xecure
    Xecure

@anticapitalista
    Great job to you and all the antiX team! Thanks for all the hard work!
    A small question.
    Will ceni make a come-back in the antiX-19 core flavor? If not, I better start learning to use connman with the terminal (I haven’t studied it yet).

I didn’t see your report before. Try this out:
    Control Center > Network > Firewall Configuration
    On the Bottom Right you should see a buton that says Unlock, Click it. Then, move the slider at the top beside the words Firewall Status to enable the Firewall.
    Does that “fix” your problem?

It did fix the problem for me… But is this a “fix” that will not be needed on the final antiX19 version or will users still have to use CC- firewall configuration AND use the cli to run “sudo ufw enable”? For me that’s not very intuitive- you either user the cli or a GUI… using both should be a last resort only, mainly because the reputation that Linux has, that we still need to use the cli for many things (which scares newbies away- “Wait, I have to type a command to run a firewall??? No way!”)…

I must have communicated my message incorrectly. The “fix” really is not THE FIX, but a hint to model99 where the problem lies. What I propose is NOT a real fix. Let me explain.
    ufw is locked by gufw. GUFW is a very good gui for ufw. You do not need the command line to configure your firewall, you can use this Firewall Configuration program instead.
    In model99’s case, they probably use their own script to configure the firewall through ufw. They probably DONT need or want the graphical Interface Firewall Configurator. My reply is a hint that, if they uninstall gufw-legacy, they can enable ufw with the terminal (as it will not be locked anymore) and use their script and iptables configuration.

I haven’t tested it myself but that is my hypothesis. That “fix” hint was so that they would understand that this isn’t an antiX problem but a design decision by gufw.

-The new Fluxbox styles look great- you should select one of the new ones as default 🙂 …
    I’ll have to do a more detailed “report” on that, one of the new styles (that I did not write down the name, but I believe was “numix” or the other new “gray” one???)had what I assume is a “bug”- the running window title is darker and it’s toolbar title is whiter, and the background windows title are whiter, but their toolbar titles are darker- I believe the colors of windows with focus should match in the focus/unfocused window title and the toolbar…

Edit: I believe this mismatch of “window title”‘s colors happens in the style “Modern Blue…”, the “problem” of the Numix theme is lack of contrast on Window Title’s: It’s black font on dark background… The folks that created both styles may want to tweak them for better looks out-of-the-box?… I can try “fixing” it on both themes, if anti thinks it’s worth doing…

You are completely right. When noClue and I created that theme, it was done in a rush. After using it myself for a while I did see this shortcoming, and that is when I tried changing it, leading to renaming it (as I am no-one to decide what is “Modern”, as Modern will have changed in a few years) to Athena Theme. I asked for feedback here before I would ask anticapitalista if they are interested in including it in the next release, but it didn’t seem to draw any attention, so I decided to keep it to myself. If there is interest in including it, I will review them and modify whatever people consider needs changing.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Xecure. Reason: Fix some wording
    model99

The firewall configuration tool in the Control Centre runs the application “gufw” which is a graphical front end application for “ufw” (the command line tool). As also stated by Xecure in a previous post.

To confirm this, click Help -> About when using the firewall configuration tool.

Like many GUI applications, “gufw” does not display certain error messages.

If you believe the firewall is properly enabled, then run the following from the
    command line:

sudo /usr/share/ufw/check-requirements

If the firewall is properly enabled, all tests by this tool will be passed with no failures. That is what I get when I run that tool for the latest version of antiX 17.3.

As you can see below when “ufw” is run from the command line, it displays the error messages. And also below, I checked the status which shows “ufw” to be enabled.

It is enabled but crippled with problems concerning invalid icmp-types.

ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol) messages are for reporting error conditions and controlling connections to your computer.

The configuration of iptables in this Linux kernel image contains errors that need to be corrected.

Anti should run “sudo ufw enable” from the command line to confirm the problem is solved after building a new kernel with correct ICMP types. Additionally, “/usr/share/ufw/check-requirements” should be run to ensure no problems exists for g(ufw)/iptables.

$ sudo ufw enable

[sudo] password for demo:
    ERROR: problem running ufw-init
    iptables-restore v1.8.2 (nf_tables): unknown option "--icmp-type"
    Error occurred at line: 34
    Try iptables-restore -h' or 'iptables-restore --help' for more information.
    ip6tables-restore v1.8.2 (nf_tables): unknown option "--icmpv6-type"
    Error occurred at line: 36
    Try ip6tables-restore -h' or 'ip6tables-restore --help' for more information.

Problem running '/etc/ufw/before.rules'
    Problem running '/etc/ufw/before6.rules'

demo@antix1:~
    $ sudo ufw status
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

So what are the needed kernel modules to get the correct ICMP types? I though I had them all, but evidently not.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Xecure
    Xecure

If you believe the firewall is properly enabled, then run the following from the
    command line:
    sudo /usr/share/ufw/check-requirements
    If the firewall is properly enabled, all tests by this tool will be passed with no failures.

Update kernel to 4.19 on antiX-19b1 64 bits

test@antix1:~
    $ uname -r
    4.19.52-antix.1-amd64-smp
    test@antix1:~
    $ sudo /usr/share/ufw/check-requirements 
    [sudo] password for test: 
    Has python: pass (binary: python2.7, version: 2.7.16, py2)
    Has iptables: pass
    Has ip6tables: pass

Has /proc/net/dev: pass
    Has /proc/net/if_inet6: pass

This script will now attempt to create various rules using the iptables
    and ip6tables commands. This may result in module autoloading (eg, for
    IPv6).
    Proceed with checks (Y/n)? y
    == IPv4 ==
    Creating 'ufw-check-requirements'... done
    Inserting RETURN at top of 'ufw-check-requirements'... done
    TCP: pass
    UDP: pass
    destination port: pass
    source port: pass
    ACCEPT: pass
    DROP: pass
    REJECT: pass
    LOG: pass
    hashlimit: pass
    limit: pass
    ctstate (NEW): pass
    ctstate (RELATED): pass
    ctstate (ESTABLISHED): pass
    ctstate (INVALID): pass
    ctstate (new, recent set): pass
    ctstate (new, recent update): pass
    ctstate (new, limit): pass
    interface (input): pass
    interface (output): pass
    multiport: pass
    comment: pass
    addrtype (LOCAL): pass
    addrtype (MULTICAST): pass
    addrtype (BROADCAST): pass
    icmp (destination-unreachable): pass
    icmp (source-quench): pass
    icmp (time-exceeded): pass
    icmp (parameter-problem): pass
    icmp (echo-request): pass

== IPv6 ==
    Creating 'ufw-check-requirements6'... done
    Inserting RETURN at top of 'ufw-check-requirements6'... done
    TCP: pass
    UDP: pass
    destination port: pass
    source port: pass
    ACCEPT: pass
    DROP: pass
    REJECT: pass
    LOG: pass
    hashlimit: pass
    limit: pass
    ctstate (NEW): pass
    ctstate (RELATED): pass
    ctstate (ESTABLISHED): pass
    ctstate (INVALID): pass
    ctstate (new, recent set): pass
    ctstate (new, recent update): pass
    ctstate (new, limit): pass
    interface (input): pass
    interface (output): pass
    multiport: pass
    comment: pass
    icmpv6 (destination-unreachable): pass
    icmpv6 (packet-too-big): pass
    icmpv6 (time-exceeded): pass
    icmpv6 (parameter-problem): pass
    icmpv6 (echo-request): pass
    icmpv6 with hl (neighbor-solicitation): pass
    icmpv6 with hl (neighbor-advertisement): pass
    icmpv6 with hl (router-solicitation): pass
    icmpv6 with hl (router-advertisement): pass
    ipv6 rt: pass

All tests passed

So, it may be related to kernel 4.9 has something missing for ufw to work properly?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Xecure. Reason: a bit more information about antiX system
    model99

From the Debian Wiki on nftables: https://wiki.debian.org/nftables

Current status

NOTE: Debian Buster uses the nftables framework by default.

Starting with Debian Buster, nf_tables is the default backend when using iptables, by means of the iptables-nft layer (i.e, using iptables syntax with the nf_tables kernel subsystem). This also affects ip6tables, arptables and ebtables.

You can switch back and forth between iptables-nft and iptables-legacy by means of update-alternatives (same applies to arptables and ebtables).

It appears nftables is the source of your problems when trying to use 4.9 kernels.

Used Package Installer from the Control Centre to install the fallback
    Debian kernel image. It is 4.19.0-5-amd64 x86_64.

Rebooted the computer and by default it booted into the Debian kernel.

model99@antix1:~
    $ sudo ufw enable
    Firewall is active and enabled on system startup
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by model99. Reason: additional info
    entropyfoe
    entropyfoe

To Xecure, thanks for your detailed reading and thinking on this sound issue. Sorry I had not replied sooner, but last night had other urgent problems. So tonight, I installed the beta 2 (md5 was good) from USB. This beta, the toram option works.

But the sound does not work. Again I point out on this same machine, MX-18 sound works, and old antiX worked, all out of the box, no messing about (maybe on antiX 16, I had to select the sound card- and then all works. ) So something is different.

To answer your questions, I copy your previous analysis: and reply

Trying to follow the conversation here is tricky. I have finished reading all of the replies on MX. Let us start compiling the information instead of having it so spread out.

You pc is:

Asus Prime 370X-Pro
    AMD Ryzen 1600X (6 cores @ 3.6 GHz)
    16 Gig DDR4 3200 (G Skill)
    Nvidia -MSI GeForce GT 710 fanless
    Samsung 960 NVMe SSD nvme0n1 P1,P2, and P3=MX-18, P4=antiX-19 beta
    2TB WD sda1= data
    on-board ethernet &and sound -Correct

So it is a desktop computer. Your monitor is connected to the Nvidia graphic card. -Correct

entropyfoe wrote:

From the beta1
    Audio:
    Device-1: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
    Device-2: AMD Family 17h HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel Same on the beta2
    Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.176-antix.1-amd64-smp

From the working mx-18
    Audio: Device-1: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
    Device-2: AMD driver: snd_hda_intel
    Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.18-antix.1-amd64-smp

So in both antiX and MX, the audio driver is HDA Intel. We shall remember this.

You have tested changing channels, changing cards and installing updates. You have tested if the device was muted in AlsaMixer (an M) and saw that all is well here. You have already edited asound.conf files but no results.

What about kernel versions, might a newer kernel work differently, though this is 4.9.167 !

You suggested it in one of the MX forum comments, but I gather you didn’t update your kernel to a 4.19 version (it isn’t that easy if you don’t remaster first before using the Live-USB kernel updater). We will explore this option as a last resort. -Can’t I install a different kernel with synaptic?

Dave wrote:

Also are you meaning to get hdmi audio? If not you probably need to set the asound.conf file to specify card 2 not 1 (NO, I set it to 1, the sound items in the control center just flash by, fraction of a second if default or set to 2)

Dave has been agile here and asked an important question, but I seemed to have read you have already tried this. You are using Device 2 (the AMD chipset one), so my guess is that you are using outside speakers connected by a jack port to your motherboard. Please confirm. -Correct I use the line out to go into an amplifier. The HDMI audio is NOT used.

skidoo wrote:

The launchstring for “Test Sound” item seen in controlCenter is
    urxvt -e speaker-test –channels 2 –test wav –nloops 3

Have you tried executing that command from terminal, to check for any error messages displayed?

When I run that in the terminal, it is stuck in an infinite loop on the left channel. But no sound

$ urxvt -e speaker-test –channels 2 –test wav –nloops 3
    Playback is default....
    0-front left
    Time per period =2.986678
    0-front left
    Time per period =2.986660
    0-front left
    Time per period =2.986698

This is also important. Go to your terminal and execute:
    speaker-test –channels 2 –test wav –nloops 3
    I saw you already tried it. Try to also increase the volume before starting the test. If some error pops up, post it here. – No errors were seen

Try this. Select the motherboard sound card (The AMD one) using the card selector program, then play an audio file and then go check if there are any errors with dmesg
    dmesg | grep “HDA Intel”
    Paste it here. grep finds nothing in dmesg for HDA Intel

If we still can’t do anything, probably you will have to update the kernel. If it is too difficult for you, let me know and I will update the kernel in my Virtual environment to 4.19, create an ISO snapshot and share it with you. (Can’t I update the kernel with synaptic?)
    July 14, 2019 at 9:11 am
    skidoo

speaker-test –channels 2 –test wav –nloops 3
    I saw you already tried it.

urxvt -e speaker-test –channels 2 –test wav –nloops 3

testing this exact launchstring would check//ruleout any problem introduced by the controlCenter launcher

-This gets stuck in a left channel infinite loop as shown above.

Asus Prime 370X-Pro
    AMD Ryzen 1600X (6 cores @ 3.6 GHz)
    16 Gig DDR4 3200 (G Skill)
    Nvidia -MSI GeForce GT 710 fanless
    Samsung 960 NVMe SSD nvme0n1 P1,P2, and P3=MX-18, P4=antiX-19 beta
    2TB WD sda1= data
    on-board ethernet &and sound

christophe
    christophe

This is fabulous! Thank you all; it’s great, as always!

A couple challenges I noticed:
    1. The ROX panel issue with the top of the launched windows being stuck behind the panel (as skidoo mentioned).
    2. I tried out the btrfs options on the installer, but I still ended up with ext4 on the installed systems.

Some highlights:
    * I LOVE the grub rescue scheme on the live usb!
    * The look is fantastic – particularly the art, the icons, & the “antix” menu branch is a very nice addition!
    * Everything (else, so far) is working very, very well!

Beautiful work!

Anonymous

I’m pretty busy at the moment; didn’t have time to read all but, as it seem, skidoo or somebody else already mention it:

The ROX panel issue with the top of the launched windows being stuck behind the panel (as skidoo mentioned).

Usability issue:

ROX panel opens always at the top.
    File manager Windows too.

File manager windows must open at the beginning of ROX panel (or in screen center) but, only when the ROX panel is in use.

Cosmetic Issues:

Desktop appearance (‘first impression’) is ugly.

Icon Theme / GTK Theme / WM Theme / Wallpaper … are ONE unity, not a collection of single pieces!

If you use ‘Lines Wallpaper’

1. Change the default theme to ‘Blue Day’
    2. Remove (uncomment) the Conky Network status
    (so that Conky ends before the line)
    It’s also redundant — NW status on the task bar and on the desktop makes no sense.

Or … Remove the ‘Lines Wallpaper’ and keep ‘Auditorio de Tenerife’, ‘Clearview Blue’ and Conky as is.

Change that doesn’t bring any improvement is not a good change.

Either keep it ‘as is’ or improve it.

As of right now, it got worse.

skidoo

ROX panel opens always at the top

FYI: you can right-click the panel and, via “Panel Options” dialog, change (for the current session) the placement. A permanent change requires editing the panel’s configuration file. Also (FYI) you can launch multiple concurrent ROX panels. The “default” pre-installed//pre-configured panel is, in fact, provided via multiple preconfigured panels ~~ conditionally loaded, depending on which window manager session is running. I’m explaining that the quoted observation “opens always at the top” does not represent a bug, AFAIK.

Although I don’t often personally use it (nor any other drag/drop apps), I’ve been a great proponent of ROX. I had even created a bug-fixed, updated, customized version of it (ref: 2017 antiX oldForumArchive topic: “rox-filer: new version available”). However, few if any of the local kids choose to use the ROX panel; instead they prefer to use lxpanel or tint2 (or other “dock” widget).

Considering the “high memory usage” reported recently, and the “panel obscures window titlebars” misbehavior of the antiX19 stock ROX version and its dearth of packaged translations… it would probably be beneficial to just use tint2 (or some other alternative panel).

BobC

I looked at the Lines/Conky/IceWM issue and found that if I create the file:

~/.conky/icewm-conkyrc

and if I comment out the CPU load graph and network I/O stats, it does fix the problem with the lines background for IceWM, but Fluxbox and JWM still have the same problem as well.

skidoo

Remove (uncomment) the Conky Network status

I’ve noticed the same continual UP traffic (looks like an EKG chart!) evident in your screenshot.
    Whatever is causing that, for me that traffic is unexpected, and unwanted. No one else has mentioned it, so maybe it’s par-for-the-course and during limited testing I’ve just not gotten ’round to switching off unwanted services.

skidoo

I looked at the Lines/Conky/IceWM issue and found that if I create the file:

~/.conky/icewm-conkyrc

and if I comment out the CPU load graph and network I/O stats, it does fix the problem with the lines background for IceWM.

The lines reaching to edge of screen in the wallpaper create a no-win situation.
    Whatever positioning looks “ok” on your display at the moment, bear in mind that someone viewing a different x*y resolution display may not be seeing an “ok” result.

BobC

Yes, I agree.

I just want to make the point that most of the time I am not seeing the conky screen because its almost always covered up, but I do want to readily notice when the CPU or Network get very busy.

We need the LxTask package for the click on CPU graph in IceWM works. It’s under 60kb and adds no dependencies.

BTW, I don’t have any continuous upload issues…

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Forgot to mention in the release: If you want a dark theme, use F6 on live boot. This uses the dark ‘Blue Day’ theme.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.