antiX-19-b3-full and base versions (64 and 32 bit) available

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-b3-full and base versions (64 and 32 bit) available

• This topic has 184 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated Oct 18-11:00 am by anticapitalista.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 185 total)
  • Author

Serenity, On your tray icon question, “tray icon” is an attribute of the window, with a value of true or false. If true, then the window will not appear in the taskbar anymore, but instead will appear off to the side as just a tray icon. If false it appears in the taskbar. Either way, when I left click the one on the taskbar or tray, the window comes up.

Sorry, I know nothing about synergy or barrier.

I already tested synergy and barrier. I was simply recommending barrier over synergy.

I would love to know the actual mechanics of how the tray icon is displayed and what program does it, etc.

Thanks

Bobc are you telling me that the right click of the title in icewm is an INITRINSIC part of icewm and not an addition by antiX? If an addition I would like to view the bash script.

No. IceWM is very configurable. I do know that. If you run the “IceWM Settings” option in Control Centre you can see many of the settings that can be changed. There is also the Help, the FAQ, the Man Pages, the IceWM website, their github page, searching the web, and just trying things.

I don’t pretend to know anything about how this or that works. I just know what I know from reading and experimenting. It’s a good way to learn because I remember what worked, and REALLY remember the things I tried that failed. Sometimes I stumble onto failures that result in unexpected advances. Those are my favorites.

That really applies to anything, not just the beta or IceWM. I wish I had the capacity to learn more, faster, but technology seems to be moving faster than I can learn.

Cool thanks I’ve been roaming around Icewm. It looks like iconify a window is part of icewm. Blows my mind. I can’t believe they don’t offer a keyboard shortcut. Most geeks would want a keyboard shortcut. I have not found a definition of iconify window keyboard shortcut yet. I will keep looking. One of the pages of the icewm web site actually states that iconification of windows is part of icewm. I would love to have keyboard access Tray_icon command as in mouse right button title click of window.

I will keep banging my head against the wall. I’ll figure it out eventually I hope? 🙂

Hello to all. Apologies if this ends up being a repost, tried posting in Development, but the topic I created never showed up (could be a moderation thing, dunno). I’m new to antiX, but I have a few decades experience with Linux.

I think there’s a bug in the 19b3 live-usb-maker’s encrypted USB creation and how it interoperates with the 19b3 bootup scripts with live encrypted USB devices.

Debian buster added support for LUKSv2 (and argon2i/id), so unless ‘–type luks1’ is given to cryptsetup, it’ll go with luks2.

The basics:

I successfully can make encrypted 19b3 sticks using live-usb-maker from MX and from AntiX 17 using the 19b3 iso. They boot fine.

If I then use THAT 19b3 system to do a live-usb-maker to make another stick, it fails to boot. If I pick a custom install, encrypted, with a leading data partition, and choose to pick keys at boot time, it boots, but it’ll error out and say it can’t read the encrypted partition. For some reason, I couldn’t get the “encrypted full featured” option to boot at all, but haven’t really isolated that one, could have been bad luck.

I don’t really know the specifics of the antiX live/encrypted boot process yet (I’ll get there eventually, most likely), so I fixed it with a hammer:

I added ‘–type luks1’ to every instance of ‘cryptsetup luksFormat’ & ‘cryptsetup open’ in live-usb-maker.

And the resulting stick booted just fine.

I’ve also noticed some intermittently-odd behavior with live USBs in 19b3, including some that just won’t save BIOS settings while some will. Guessing there are still a few “live-usb-maker meets 19b3 boot” wrinkles to iron out.

-a4

Last week I finally installed antiX19b3 64bits in my secondary hard drive and came up with this “complications”:

1- rox and spacefm would not mount my MX ext partition. I had to create a empty folder in /mnt with MX’s partition’s name, so the file managers would be able to mount it… strange, but “solved”. This was the only major snag…
    2- I remember that with antiX 17 live, I could just boot from usb do a “sudo cupsd” and then go to Control Ccentre and add my HP officejet multifunctional printer-8600, and it would work out of the box. In my installed antiX 19b3, I had to install “HP” files from synaptic, or the Control Centre would not recognize my printer
    3- antiX usually boots in under a minute on this desktop. Since I installed and activated Cups, the boot process hangs for over 20 seconds on the cups part… Is there any way to speed that up? I tried to take a look on the forum, about cups problems, I found nothing (didn’t look that hard- it works fine, after all) Never noticed that delay when I was using antiX 16 with the same printer…
    4- Suspended never worked in any OS on this computer (with a NVIDIA card) unless the proprietary video driver is installed. I installed it, it works fine, but always fires up a nvidia error than I can never catch at boot time… Also if I execute NVIDIA configuration software from the menu, it works fine, but then the OS stops accepting clicks on the menu! (How weird id that?)- I have to restart the one single time I tried that…

Is all or part of this to be expected in antiX 19beta3? (I realize it’s still a beta, I’m not complaining, just trying to report “bugs”)
    Would sending any inxi info help with understanding any of this situations?- Sorry I’m not on antiX right now…

Still, even as is, antiX 19 is mostly my daily driver! First time I recall installing a OS beta on a hard drive!
    P.

Update without overwriting the current desktop menu files?

I select the default option and they are re-written.

Would any of the options below prevent it from overwriting the current edited entries in the menus that include IceWM options?

Thank you.

Configuration file '/etc/skel/.icewm/menu'
     ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
     ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
       What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
        Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
        N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
          D     : show the differences between the versions
          Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
     The default action is to keep your current version.
    *** menu (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? 
    =========================================
    Configuration file '/etc/skel/.icewm/preferences'
    *** preferences (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? 
    =========================================
    Configuration file '/etc/skel/.jwm/menu'
    *** menu (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? 

Rej, Its only updating the default menus and files in /etc/skel, not the ones in your home folder. If you made modifications to those, maybe make a backup copy, then try a program called meld which you can get from the repos to merge them.

Hi BobC-

Thanks – I have been making backup copies [/usr/share/desktop-session/wm-menus/RAW-wm-menu, fluxbox-wm-menu, icewm-wm-menu, jwm-wm-menu] and just erasing the new ones and pasting the edited versions, but thought one of those options might have stopped it from rewriting them.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Type N to avoid overwrite or simply press Enter (No is default)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Thanks anticapitalista-
    That is what I do, however, it overwrites them anyway.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

It shouldn’t do.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

I don’t know if this is intentional in antiX 19 –

Main Menu-Personal menu:

Entries appearing that were never user-selected and cannot be removed with Menu-manager or Personal Menu Manager – can only be edited out in home/Fluxbox, IceWM, JWM, Openbox “personal” files. They do not appear as existing in Menu-manager or Personal Menu Manager, however, do appear in the main menu and individual files.

Examples added, not selected by user:

Date and Time
    Personal Menu Editor
    IceWM Toolbar Icon Manager

Unlike antiX 17 XFCE “Other” menu, which contains only the user-selected applications identical to the “Personal” menu, now is populated with what appears to be the “antiX” programs (from the antiX folder in usr/share/applications/antix), plus the user-selected apps interspersed.

I was unable to find a file to edit for XFCE Other-menu.

KooKoo

Sorry if this is not the right place to be posting this installed 19-b3 this morning then just ran update with synaptic and this error appeared.

Release file for http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/dists/buster-updates/InRelease is not valid yet (invalid for another 3h 53min 4s). Updates for this repository will not be applied.The repository 'http://mx.debian.nz/antix/buster buster Release' does not have a Release file.Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.Release file for http://security.debian.org/dists/buster/updates/InRelease is not valid yet (invalid for another 6h 10min 26s). Updates for this repository will not be applied.

Is just australian and NZ servers not up. (but did receive some updates)

I will be installing i3wm (nvidia sgfxi version) and testing thunar volman plugin , my scanner lide 120 ,kernels. plus god know what else.

Just can’t wait longer Thanks antiX..

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb with antiX-19 runit Base X64 & MX-19.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 185 total)
  • The topic ‘antiX-19-b3-full and base versions (64 and 32 bit) available’ is closed to new replies.